Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2018, 06:13 AM   #1
dpg

Default Sawyers

Found ourselves on "that" side of the lake Saturday and I had a hankering for "Rings" Said to the wife "hey lets try Sawyers" I've always wanted to stop there. Ordered a large Onion Ring and Ice Tea came to $9.(something.) When I looked at the order that came from behind the counter I was shocked thought they made a mistake and gave me a small! Believe me for a small it would of been a stingy order! First and last time we eat at this establishment. We usually do Red Hill Dari for an Onion Ring fix but with the traffic and time figured we'd get there to late...They were hot and "OK" tasting but the amount we got for app. a $7.00 large order was totally unacceptable.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

You don't say if you asked for an adjustment or correction. I frequently order rings at Sawyers and I will agree that the last time I was there, the rings were served in the same bucket as the burger instead of in their own container and thus the amount of rings was smaller. I think it was $14-15 for Cheeseburger, OR and frappe. All good, and properly cooked. I didn't complain, but next time I'm there I will ask when I order.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
Doobs41378

We love the Frappes there. The food is pricey, I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doobs41378 For This Useful Post:
nj2nh (07-25-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I find that with the economy booming everyone is finally razing prices. If the government says there's no inflating, they are lying!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I find that with the economy booming everyone is finally razing prices. If the government says there's no inflating, they are lying!
Pretty hard paying someone $15 per hour to wait on the window and sell you a cheeseburger for $1.99! Bringing back manufacturing might just be enough to stop the bleeding. You better believe foreign governments that trade with us have been screwing up for years, no thanks to both Republicans and Democrats in Washington. Government is never your friend...
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
DougNH (07-23-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
jbolty

What's interesting about this to me is the perception of value. I have never run or worked in a restaurant but I'm sure like any business most of the cost is labor, rent, utilities and taxes. I have to think that the cost of the actual onion has to be about 5 cents per order so why not give a huge amount? The cost of labor and to cook it is no more and a full looking plate overflowing with onion rings is cheap advertisement and would let you get away with a smaller burger or higher price.

Dunno. My 2 cents.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
debbyi64 (07-27-2018), noreast (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Food there is good, not great and the ice cream is good, although was better when they had soft serve.

They are in a particular location that sees a lot of traffic that are also close to campgrounds and other attractions such as Gunstock and Meadowbrook for those that want a quick bit (other than chain fast food), this allows them to upcharge.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
JADAQ

Go to the “good” end of the lake and hit “Pop’s”
Their large is big enough for 4 people! Best on the lake!!

I went to Sawyers ONCE, true story... place is a tourist trap rip-off!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JADAQ For This Useful Post:
granitebox (07-25-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
Go to the “good” end of the lake and hit “Pop’s”
Their large is big enough for 4 people! Best on the lake!!

I went to Sawyers ONCE, true story... place is a tourist trap rip-off!
Don’t have any input for sawyers but Pop’s small onion rings (last week) were more than enough for two pretty big eaters!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Pretty hard paying someone $15 per hour to wait on the window and sell you a cheeseburger for $1.99! Bringing back manufacturing might just be enough to stop the bleeding. You better believe foreign governments that trade with us have been screwing up for years, no thanks to both Republicans and Democrats in Washington. Government is never your friend...
Great point on the wages, and the same is true for the rent--there's plenty of cost pressure on the restaurants.

I also hope manufacturing does recover as you suggest. Although the increased demand for workers will lead to even higher wages and more expensive cheeseburgers
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
dpg

I did not say anything we ate them and left I will not return. We get Onion Rings for a snack quite often over the summer and at different places. I've (yes recently) ordered smalls at other places that were literally double the amount of Sawyers large. No thanks...
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
Descant (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #12
Woodsy

DPG.... Next time you are on this side of the lake... try Michelle's Onion Rings at the Looney Bin..... Fresh, hand cut & battered... Plenty for 2 people!

Woodsy

PS: her Buffalo Wings ROCK as well!
BroadHopper (07-24-2018), Reilly (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 06:04 AM   #13
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
DPG.... Next time you are on this side of the lake... try Michelle's Onion Rings at the Looney Bin..... Fresh, hand cut & battered... Plenty for 2 people!

Woodsy

PS: her Buffalo Wings ROCK as well!
Thanks and noted....Have heard about the Wings...
Old 07-24-2018, 06:36 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Sawyers

I understand that folks go to Sawyers because it is nostalgic, but come on! If the locals stop going there, why bother?

When Jack was there, the ice cream was made with real cream and real flavors.
Food was awesome. After his demise, the boys tried to make a go of it and did OK. New owners mess up the original philosophy and now its a tourist trap. Go out back and if you can glimpse one of the ice cream containers, you will see its made elsewhere.

Last year, I made the mistake of ordering a $23 greasy, overcooked calm plate. when I find Lyons Den had clams at $10! I complained to the elderly woman in the back of the counter and she basically says sorry, your free to leave!
Old 07-25-2018, 06:20 AM   #15
Born on Winni

Default Sawyers....

Yep! Done going to Sawyer's.... Being a Gilford person, I give them great credit for hiring local kid's, but their attitude is wayyyyy to much for working at a local Drive-In Restauraunt....
Born on Winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #16
ApS

Question If You Owned Sawyer's...Parking-Lot Attendants Necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Great point on the wages, and the same is true for the rent--there's plenty of cost pressure on the restaurants.

I also hope manufacturing does recover as you suggest. Although the increased demand for workers will lead to even higher wages and more expensive cheeseburgers
As the owner, wouldn't you continue to raise prices until clientele volume becomes manageable?

Old 07-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #17
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
As the owner, wouldn't you continue to raise prices until clientele volume becomes manageable?

Is that business 101, gouge and gouge some more until they stop coming?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #18
gillygirl

Quote:

I seriously doubt they’re making anywhere near $15 an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #19
FlyingScot

Quote:

You ask a different question than I opined on. My post simply noted that as employment increases, labor costs rise (hopefully!), and that causes other prices, such as cheeseburgers to rise as the cost of providing those cheeseburgers increases.

Back to your question--it depends on the business. If I was in a business that did not depend upon price for long term relationships and goodwill, such as running a hedge fund, then yes, I would crank prices to whatever the market would bear.

But a restaurant seen to be cranking up prices risks serious blowback, as is often seen on this board. So no, I would not increase price as far as a popular restaurant might need to in order to eliminate the line.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #20
joey2665

Quote:
You ask a different question than I opined on. My post simply noted that as employment increases, labor costs rise (hopefully!), and that causes other prices, such as cheeseburgers to rise as the cost of providing those cheeseburgers increases.

Back to your question--it depends on the business. If I was in a business that did not depend upon price for long term relationships and goodwill, such as running a hedge fund, then yes, I would crank prices to whatever the market would bear.

But a restaurant seen to be cranking up prices risks serious blowback, as is often seen on this board. So no, I would not increase price as far as a popular restaurant might need to in order to eliminate the line.
You are correct for a normal restaurant open year round looking for loyal customers especially in the off season, but Sawyers is only open from Memorial Day to Labor Day and their clientele are mostly vacationers staying in the camp grounds or motels looking for something fast but NOT fast food chain meals and some ice cream. This allows them to raise prices without a lot of blow back as most customers do not return at all the following year because they vacation other places or if they do return they have short fond memories of eating at an old fashion drive in and having ice cream after.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:39 AM   #21
Phantom

Joey ….

Only comment I have is that I think you overestimate the number of "tourists" in this part of the Lake. If it were in Meredith or Wiers, I would agree- but Gilford area has transitioned over the years from predominantly tourist to the more familiar seasonal Condo dwellers whom in fact come back year to year.

Descant (07-25-2018), joey2665 (07-25-2018), noreast (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #22
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Joey ….

Only comment I have is that I think you overestimate the number of "tourists" in this part of the Lake. If it were in Meredith or Wiers, I would agree- but Gilford area has transitioned over the years from predominantly tourist to the more familiar seasonal Condo dwellers whom in fact come back year to year.

Spot on with that, that's me. And no food from Sawyers in years, it just stopped making sense for a lot of us. A half gallon of ice cream now and again, but even that has gone downhill.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #23
jbolty

I still go to Sawyers for the ice cream because they generally have all the old man flavors I like. grapenut, frozen pudding, orange pineapple and a couple others. Have not been impressed with the food in years.

From my experience as a customer I would say if you are not making a profit rather than slash the portion size charge what you need to for a fair amount and let the customer decide. If I get a huge burger and a ton of fries as long as it's decent I hardly notice that it cost $15 but skimping is noticeable no matter how good it is.
gravy boat (08-20-2018), thinkxingu (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #24
ApS

Quote:
Is that business 101, gouge and gouge some more until they stop coming?
Pretty much.

The owners are in "the pursuit of happiness", not to provide an entitlement to those who stop by.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:39 PM   #25
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I still go to Sawyers for the ice cream because they generally have all the old man flavors I like. grapenut, frozen pudding, orange pineapple and a couple others. Have not been impressed with the food in years.

From my experience as a customer I would say if you are not making a profit rather than slash the portion size charge what you need to for a fair amount and let the customer decide. If I get a huge burger and a ton of fries as long as it's decent I hardly notice that it cost $15 but skimping is noticeable no matter how good it is.
LMAO at “old man flavors” orange pineapple and pistachio are my fav-o-rites!
Old 07-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #26
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
LMAO at “old man flavors” orange pineapple and pistachio are my fav-o-rites!
Take some orange pineapple home and blend it up with a little rum. Just sayin.
BroadHopper (08-07-2019), gravy boat (08-20-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #27
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Pretty much.

The owners are in "the pursuit of happiness", not to provide an entitlement to those who stop by.
Wow, what a horrible sentiment. Call me old-fashioned, but I was raised that the best businesses serve everybody favorably, not just the owners. In fact, I always use to say that capitalism only works if it has a "conscience," but a book I recently read, "The Common Good," by Robert Reich, defines the difference between "stakeholder capitalism" and "shareholder capitalism."

In any case, I guess that's why value and service are as important to me as the actual food. As mentioned above, I'll gladly pay a little more to feel like I got "hooked up" rather than "hosed," and I very much appreciate feeling like I'm a valuable part of the business rather than just a overpaying sucker.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-26-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #28
gravy boat

Default Sawyer's

Mocha chip is outstanding. As is Raspberry Truffle. Those are our "go to" as Sawyer's is close to home and consistently great quality ice-cream.

Can't speak to their other foods as we have our favorites for fried... or burgers... or pizzas... or salads.. or what have you. As locals we get the best of all worlds.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #29
baygo

Quote:

There is a place that we would go for breakfast once a week until about 3 years ago when they cut the size of their pancakes in half. Have not gone back since. Had they raised the price $2 I'd still be going.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
jbolty (07-25-2018), thinkxingu (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:31 PM   #30
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
There is a place that we would go for breakfast once a week until about 3 years ago when they cut the size of their pancakes in half. Have not gone back since. Had they raised the price $2 I'd still be going.

Guessing you aren’t going to share which establishment you are referring to. .

Is this the reason you started Wafflepesaukee?

Old 07-25-2018, 10:36 PM   #31
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Guessing you aren’t going to share which establishment you are referring to. .

Is this the reason you started Wafflepesaukee?

No, I'm probably not going to namedrop, and this had nothing to do with why I'm serving breakfast. I'm serving breakfast to try and get people on my golf course. So many people remember the course from its days in neglect. I hope to attract hungry people by offering a high quality breakfast at a value competitive to the largest national chains. Then while they sit here salivating over the deliciousness with the golf course in the foreground. perhaps they will give it another try.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-26-2018), joey2665 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:57 PM   #32
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
No, I'm probably not going to namedrop, and this had nothing to do with why I'm serving breakfast. I'm serving breakfast to try and get people on my golf course. So many people remember the course from its days in neglect. I hope to attract hungry people by offering a high quality breakfast at a value competitive to the largest national chains. Then while they sit here salivating over the deliciousness with the golf course in the foreground. perhaps they will give it another try.

I was only joking around . I knew you we’re keeping it to yourself and it had nothing to do with you serving breakfast. Sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
baygo (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #33
BernerGuy

Quote:
What's interesting about this to me is the perception of value. I have never run or worked in a restaurant but I'm sure like any business most of the cost is labor, rent, utilities and taxes. I have to think that the cost of the actual onion has to be about 5 cents per order so why not give a huge amount? The cost of labor and to cook it is no more and a full looking plate overflowing with onion rings is cheap advertisement and would let you get away with a smaller burger or higher price.

Dunno. My 2 cents.
Having owned a restaurant for 10 years (Sold it) I can tell you that food costs include the onion. , flour or whatever they use, batter, oil to fry it, maintenance to fryer, baskets to fry it (they wear out), employees as you mentioned, electric bill, gas bill, security system, taxes upon taxes, paper products *(expensive), light bulbs, light bulb covers, insurance of all kinds, and whatever other million things I have put out of my memory.
BernerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #34
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernerGuy View Post
Having owned a restaurant for 10 years (Sold it) I can tell you that food costs include the onion. , flour or whatever they use, batter, oil to fry it, maintenance to fryer, baskets to fry it (they wear out), employees as you mentioned, electric bill, gas bill, security system, taxes upon taxes, paper products *(expensive), light bulbs, light bulb covers, insurance of all kinds, and whatever other million things I have put out of my memory.
All true but what is the total cost of customers feeling like they are shortchanged and not coming back. Half an onion is not very expensive and for sure the actual cost of a skimpy basket of rings vs a fuller basket can only be pennies. Plus as I said, charge what it's worth. I think most would rather pay $20 for a plate and leave some behind instead of paying $12 and leaving hungry.

cheers
Old 07-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #35
ApS

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Wow, what a horrible sentiment. Call me old-fashioned, but I was raised that the best businesses serve everybody favorably, not just the owners. In fact, I always use to say that capitalism only works if it has a "conscience," but a book I recently read,
"The Common Good," by Robert Reich
, defines the difference between "stakeholder capitalism" and "shareholder capitalism."

In any case, I guess that's why value and service are as important to me as the actual food. As mentioned above, I'll gladly pay a little more to feel like I got "hooked up" rather than "hosed," and I very much appreciate feeling like I'm a valuable part of the business rather than just a overpaying sucker.
I think I see the problem.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #36
FlyingScot

Quote:
All true but what is the total cost of customers feeling like they are shortchanged and not coming back. Half an onion is not very expensive and for sure the actual cost of a skimpy basket of rings vs a fuller basket can only be pennies. Plus as I said, charge what it's worth. I think most would rather pay $20 for a plate and leave some behind instead of paying $12 and leaving hungry.

cheers
I'm with you--and so is a large chunk of the restaurant industry. It's the reason portions served in restaurants are often larger than those we would choose at home
Old 07-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #37
swnoel

Quote:
It's the reason portions served in restaurants are often larger than those we would choose at home
and people have heart disease , diabetes, and obesity, but what do I know...
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #38
baygo

Quote:
I'm with you--and so is a large chunk of the restaurant industry. It's the reason portions served in restaurants are often larger than those we would choose at home
I think that larger portions are more likely served because the practice gets more out of labor. It takes the same labor to plate a $13 portion as a $25 portion.

I personally don't see a benefit to paying restaurant prices for leftovers to eat at home.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #39
Biggd

Quote:
and people have heart disease , diabetes, and obesity, but what do I know...
Maybe they should put on their menu, we serve small portions to keep you healthy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #40
Descant

We had a local place that served a 'tapas' menu. Perfect for us, and we went several times a month. but they had a reputation for being expensive. All those fixed costs don't shrink so much when you serve tapas. Now out of business.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #41
thinkxingu

Quote:
Maybe they should put on their menu, we serve small portions to keep you healthy.

"...while still charging for larger portions." Awesome marketing!

Old 07-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #42
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
We had a local place that served a 'tapas' menu. Perfect for us, and we went several times a month. but they had a reputation for being expensive. All those fixed costs don't shrink so much when you serve tapas. Now out of business.
There is an art to understanding how to manage tapas.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:14 AM   #43
jetskier

Post Value

Hi all,

Speaking strictly from the consumer side, I think that consumers consider the value of restaurants based upon the following critera:
  1. Experience - some restaurants are an experience and that is what the consumer is willing to pay for. This might be a view or ambience etc...
  2. Quality - the quality of the food, not necessarily the quantity of the food.
  3. Cost - the perceived value of what is being offered vs. what is being charged.

Having dined at Sawyers, it certainly does not rank in quality or cost.

Also note, that the consumer does not weigh the relative costs associated with running the business as eating out is a discretionary choice. We all have our biases...but restaurants that don't hit one or more of the aforementioned are likely to be temporary in a competitive market. Sawyers is really just an experience as we all remember it from our youth - they are only open during the summer, so that likely works for them.

Just my 2 cents.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #44
Mr. V

Many restaurants focus now on serving food in small proportions.

In most cases it is pretty food, in small proportion, artfully conceiverd, prepared and plated.

This makes sense, at least if your target audience is concerned about calories and values ambiance and quality over getting a bang for their buck.

In LA, the beautiful people stay beautiful via both exercise and diet; they trade off quantity of food for a pretty plating / presentation and a creative touch to the cooking.

This allows them to savor their meal, not just inhale it.

Those who go to those places are not Ma and Pa Kettle types, that's for sure.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:20 PM   #45
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Hi all,

Speaking strictly from the consumer side, I think that consumers consider the value of restaurants based upon the following critera:
  1. Experience
    - some restaurants are an experience and that is what the consumer is willing to pay for. This might be a view or ambience etc...
  2. Quality
    - the quality of the food, not necessarily the quantity of the food.
  3. Cost
    - the perceived value of what is being offered vs. what is being charged.

Having dined at Sawyers, it certainly does not rank in quality or cost.

Also note, that the consumer does not weigh the relative costs associated with running the business as eating out is a discretionary choice. We all have our biases...but restaurants that don't hit one or more of the aforementioned are likely to be temporary in a competitive market. Sawyers is really just an experience as we all remember it from our youth - they are only open during the summer, so that likely works for them.

Just my 2 cents.

Jetskier
So this post will help you see the complex issues that restaurant owners face each and every day, here is my view on your list.
  1. Cost - the perceived value of what is being offered vs. what is being charged.
[*]Quality - the quality of the food, not necessarily the quantity of the food.

[*]Experience - some restaurants are an experience and that is what the consumer is willing to pay for. This might be a view or ambience etc...
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:54 AM   #46
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Many restaurants focus now on serving food in small proportions.

In most cases it is pretty food, in small proportion, artfully conceiverd, prepared and plated.

This makes sense, at least if your target audience is concerned about calories and values ambiance and quality over getting a bang for their buck.

In LA, the beautiful people stay beautiful via both exercise and diet; they trade off quantity of food for a pretty plating / presentation and a creative touch to the cooking.

Those who go to those places are not Ma and Pa Kettle types, that's for sure.
"the beautiful people in LA" ha, ha, ha!

Old 07-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #47
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. V View Post
many restaurants focus now on serving food in small proportions.

In la, the beautiful people stay beautiful via both exercise and diet; they trade off quantity of food for a pretty plating / presentation and a creative touch to the cooking.

Those who go to those places are not ma and pa kettle types, that's for sure.
…………… ………..
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-29-2018), Biggd (07-30-2018), Outdoorsman (07-29-2018), Y2K (08-07-2019)
Old 07-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #48
Hillcountry

Quote:
"the beautiful people in LA" ha, ha, ha!

I’m with you...snowflakes and boneheaded actors. Beautiful people my arse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-30-2018), The Real BigGuy (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #49
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I’m with you...snowflakes and boneheaded actors. Beautiful people my arse.
Via diet, exercise and plastic surgery a lot of denizens in the LA area stay trim and good looking, unlike most of America.

Face it, many if not most Americans are lazy overeaters, and it shows.

I point out one way they get to enjoy dining out without shoveling in a massive amount of calories and I get flamed.

Heck, you people have a bit of LA in your backyard with Baygo's tapas restaurant: good quality, nice presentation, small quantity.

Isn't this how we should all be eating?

What is the point in pigging out, anyway?
gravy boat (08-20-2018), Hillcountry (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #50
phoenix

I have never been to Sawyers , only once in the last few years to Harts and once recently to jo Greens but if you follow the recents forum posts i am surprised any of them survive but i guess a whole lot of non forum members must go . Many as Yogi Berra said “. Its so crowded no one goes any more “
swnoel (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:01 PM   #51
Biggd

Quote:
Via diet, exercise and plastic surgery a lot of denizens in the LA area stay trim and good looking, unlike most of America.

I point out one way they get to enjoy dining out without shoveling in a massive amount of calories and I get flamed.

Heck, you people have a bit of LA in your backyard with Baygo's tapas restaurant: good quality, nice presentation, small quantity.

"Plastic surgery", you forgot purging, now that's healthy! I guess there are no fat people in LA and they eradicated heart disease years ago. And no, I'm not fat but I do enjoy eating.

Last edited by Biggd; 07-30-2018 at 05:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #52
Biggd

Thumbs up

Quote:
…………… ………..
Now that's presentation!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #53
Hillcountry

Quote:
…………… ………..
Sorry, But that would not be a “brioche bun” but rather “tranches de pain blanc”
Old 07-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #54
Hillcountry

Quote:

Oink! Oink!
Old 07-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #55
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
You're so right!

There's no trick to dieting. There's no shortcuts and almost all the diet/workout information out there is a myth. Anyone who wants to lose weight can.
You're so right. I had been a yo yo dieter all my life since I was about 13 years old. I went to the Dr for a DOT check up to renew my CDL license when I was 47 and they told me to see my endocrinologist I had type 2 diabetes.

I immediately changed the way I eat to smaller portions and much less carbs and sugar in the process lost 115 lbs and have kept it off since. You can have your "cheat days" every now and then but reducing portions, sugar and carbs and ANYONE can lose weight. You just really have to want to lose the weight not just say it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-30-2018), gravy boat (08-20-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #56
Biggd

Quote:
Congratulations! You saved your own life. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle!
Cutting sugar is hard but solves a lot of problems.
Here's the bottom line for anyone looking to lose weight.
In order to lose weight you need to have a caloric deficit. Period. You need to eat less calories than you burn. A daily 500 calorie deficit will cause you to lose ~2lbs a week. No matter what or how often you eat or what time of day you eat it.
Or move to LA where everyone is beautiful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (07-30-2018), PaugusBayFireFighter (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #57
joey2665

Quote:

In order to lose weight you need to have a caloric deficit. Period. You need to eat less calories than you burn. A daily 500 calorie deficit will cause you to lose ~2lbs a week. No matter what or how often you eat or what time of day you eat it.

Forgot to mention after about 9 months my weight loss stalled then a began a very light exercise program to jump start my metabolism.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #58
Macavity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter;
In order to lose weight you need to have a caloric deficit. Period. You need to eat less calories than you burn. A daily 500 calorie deficit will cause you to lose ~2lbs a week. [B
No matter what or how often you eat or what time of day you eat it[/B].
This is your opinion and should be presented as such. Many medical conditions require a more informed and complex approach.

mac
Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #59
joey2665

Quote:
The old 'plateau' myth! What happened wasn't your metabolism stalling. You were eating the same amount of calories that you were burning. Thus, maintaining your weight. This can happen when your body becomes lighter or you've added muscle. You burn less calories doing the same daily tasks because you're a more efficient machine. What once took great effort now takes less! When you started a light exercise routine you didn't jump start anything, you started burning more calories, putting yourself back in a deficit!

So many myths and so much BS out there.

Stay healthy!

I'll stop my rant...but it's good food for thought for anyone who is trying and having a hard time losing!

Very ironic we are talking about this in a thread for a restaurant that specializes in ice cream and fried food.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-31-2018), PaugusBayFireFighter (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #60
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Very ironic we are talking about this in a thread for a restaurant that specializes in ice cream and fried food.

But they reduced the size of their portions to keep everyone healthy from over eating.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #61
joey2665

Quote:
But they reduced the size of their portions to keep everyone healthy from over eating.

Very true!!!

Old 07-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #62
thinkxingu

Quote:
I never said what someone should eat. Many medical conditions require a specific diet. Athletes require a specific diet.
The fact remains that the calories taken in MUST be less than the calories burned and that eating or burning ~500 calories will either add or remove ~2 lbs a week.
That's science, not my opinion.
500/day = 3,500/week = 1 pound.
The science (especially of losing fat vs. muscle) is, however, much more detailed--glycemic index of the food, timing, metabolism, etc. In fact, many people find they stay the same weight because their bodies go into conserve mode if they don't eat enough and often enough.

So, to lose weight safely and effectively, one should eat healthy(er) food split into five or six smaller portions while being mindful of the glycemic index (speed of digestion, sugars being the fastest, whole grains the slowest) of the foods.

THAT being said, if someone is very overweight (as, ahem, I am now), simply being mindful of eating and activity will result in weight loss.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:36 PM   #63
Macavity

Quote:
I never said what someone should eat. Many medical conditions require a specific diet. Athletes require a specific diet.
The fact remains that the calories taken in MUST be less than the calories burned and that eating or burning ~500 calories will either add or remove ~2 lbs a week.
That's science, not my opinion.
You did, in fact say no matter what was eaten or what time of day. That's pretty unequivocal and authoritative in tone. I'm just pointing out that there are many more nuances than that if you truly understand it.

I won't comment further if you wish to bluster on.
Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:56 PM   #64
Bigstan

Default Not really

Quote:
They just raised costs, quality remains meh, and those two things don’t add up to locals being enthused. I note nobody is raving about the place 😶
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:06 AM   #65
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
They just raised costs, quality remains meh, and those two things don’t add up to locals being enthused. I note nobody is raving about the place 😶
I guess you didn't get the sarcastic note.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #66
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Exactly right. Every time I've gone to 1,500 daily calories I lost right around 2lbs weekly. You can work out for hours and you'll get in shape but still have the weight.
Cutting calories is the only thing that works
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #67
jetskier

Default Off track

How did this thread go from Sawyers to eating habits?
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-31-2018), Irish mist (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #68
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
How did this thread go from Sawyers to eating habits?

Part of the conversation was an issue with the price and portions for that price served by Sawyer’s.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #69
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Exactly right. Every time I've gone to 1,500 daily calories I lost right around 2lbs weekly. You can work out for hours and you'll get in shape but still have the weight.
Cutting calories is the only thing that works
I cut out nearly all carbs, tried to stay at or below 20g per day, and lost 60 lbs pretty fast and have kept most of it off so far. Once in a while now I'll eat a baked potato or slice of pizza and it feels like I consumed a brick.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #70
jbolty

Ignore my previous comment about carbs. First trip to sawyers this year. Frozen Pudding. Name:  IMG_3027.JPG
Views: 2372
Size:  91.8 KB

Old 08-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #71
Barney Bear

Default Sweet!!!

Even better with a sugar cone. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #72
SPT13

Default Sawyers Fri night

Got up to Gilford late Friday night & meeting some friends to sit out on their dock. We were hungry & wanted to grab a bite to go. We pulled into Sawyers about 9:10 & outside light was on so we assumed they were open.
Once inside the menu board was off, and we were told they closed at 9. The gentleman could see our disappointment, & I asked if they had any cold sandwiches. He walked over to the grill & said, " its still on, I can make you whatever you want." Made us a few burgers & fries & we were happily on our way. Went above & beyond in my opinion, & I wanted to share it.
SPT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPT13 For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #73
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPT13 View Post
Got up to Gilford late Friday night & meeting some friends to sit out on their dock. We were hungry & wanted to grab a bite to go. We pulled into Sawyers about 9:10 & outside light was on so we assumed they were open.
Once inside the menu board was off, and we were told they closed at 9. The gentleman could see our disappointment, & I asked if they had any cold sandwiches. He walked over to the grill & said, " its still on, I can make you whatever you want." Made us a few burgers & fries & we were happily on our way. Went above & beyond in my opinion, & I wanted to share it.
What a nice story. I don't think of going to Sawyer's but will do so because of this. Thanks!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #74
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPT13 View Post
It's carry your on whether eating inside or out. However they seem to have enough staff to carry orders to your table both inside and out. It has always been this way, but it works well for them when other places can't find enough staff. (I know it's a different level of staffing.) The food is good and well priced for casual dining. I go several times a season.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #75
joey2665

Sawyer’s is pretty good. We go usually twice a year. Unfortunately several years ago they stopped their soft serve ice cream which was the best this side of the lake.