Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
VtSteve

Default So Don

One of the kind folks online thought that it would be cute to invent a story about me sending a terrible PM to them. I realize all kinds of things can easily be doctored online.

Can you verify that I have not sent any PM's to anyone? If so, how can you do this. At any rate, feel free to post the answer online, so everyone can see this.

It might just calm this site down a bit in the process.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (11-22-2010), Yankee (11-22-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
ApS

Unhappy Names and Ad-Hominems "disquieting" REAL discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
The particular forum you speak of gives advance warning from the Webmaster; however, it is seriously disquieting to list real names—a creeping attitude not consistent with VTSteve's previous history.

Clouding the issue is that a VTSteve-"with-an-attitude" exists; however, duplicate VTSteve user-names are scattered throughout Google.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=%22VTSteve%22

(A problem I should never have )

Should the PM turn out "bogus", real names still should not appear anywhere in Lake Winnipesaukee's several forums—as they have!

(Exceptions would be quotes and signatures from print-media letters and periodicals).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
sa meredith

Default same deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
One of the kind folks online thought that it would be cute to invent a story about me sending a terrible PM to them. I realize all kinds of things can easily be doctored online.

Can you verify that I have not sent any PM's to anyone? If so, how can you do this. At any rate, feel free to post the answer online, so everyone can see this.

Wow..I went thru the exact same thing a year or so back. A member here decided to say some terrible things about me...fabricated quite a story. Thankfully, he/she sent it to some folks who know me, and they, in return PM'd me...and I was able to act.
Was tough for a few days...but, truth be told, things like this usually die a quick death.
I wish you well...
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Wow..I went thru the exact same thing a year or so back. A member here decided to say some terrible things about me...fabricated quite a story. Thankfully, he/she sent it to some folks who know me, and they, in return PM'd me...and I was able to act.
Was tough for a few days...but, truth be told, things like this usually die a quick death.
I wish you well...
Same result. It died quickly. I'm sure Don put the noose on this problem. He is watching.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

This is the problem with the internet... it is easy to cause trouble... as trouble makers are identified, most people hopefully start to discredit there dastardly deeds... and soon people realized just how low, some low lives will stoop... it sad really..
Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Skip

Unhappy The more things change the more they stay the same!

I think it is a shame that Don has to be dragged into this mess at all!

He was gracious enough to open up a sub-thread for folks to argue their points more aggressivley while not letting things spill into the rest of the website. So regardless of who is to blame here I have to ask, isn't everyone involved adults and if so, why can't they behave as such?

Since this thread is addressed to Don I will throw in my two cents. I disagreed with Don when he tried this experiment but I always support his final decisions as this is his, and only his, site. That said it appears that the reasons I felt this experiment would fail are becoming readily apparent.

Don, I pray that you and your family have a fantastic Thanksgiving and I hope you ignore this foolishness and stuff yourself with everything that is nice about this Holiday! I know I'm going to be chowing down....

Happy Thanksgiving Don,

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (11-23-2010), Pepper (11-23-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (11-23-2010), Rose (11-23-2010), SteveA (11-23-2010), trfour (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

I enjoy coming to this site. It has been a great source of information for me and my wife since moving to the lakes region. I also think a spirited debate on lakes region issues is good and healthy to keep the site interesting, informative, and allows everyone to see both sides of the coin.

What I don't like and what ruins it for everyone is when the select few and it's only a few who outright lie and try to defame good posters here who contribute a lot to the forum.

Fortunately there is only two or three on this site that always stoop to this level. I think one has been chased off already maybe by Don...not sure, but he hasn't been around in a couple weeks now.

I have never personally met VTSteve, Hazelnut, Scott Verdonk, Vitabene, but know through their posts on this forum and emails they are good people who contribute to this forum and people I hope to meet in person one day.

It disgusts me to see these few select other posters try and sling their names and professions through the mud because they simply disagree on an issue.

It is quite obvious who these people are that cannot carry on a civilized debate without stooping to these levels and I wish they would be heavily moderated if not bounced from the forum.

I realize Don does not like censorship and does a great job here of trying to allow everyone their say without moderation and I commend him for that, but there comes a point in time when enough is enough and the trash needs to be taken out!

Respectfully;

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 11-23-2010 at 10:53 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
DEJ (11-23-2010), hazelnut (11-23-2010), LIforrelaxin (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
Yosemite Sam

I think the goal for some members here is to get anyone who doesn't agree with them either moderated or removed from this forum.

Why not just ignore the comments you don't like or not participate in the topics that offend you.

I just don't get why some of you continue to whine when things don't go your way.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I think it is a shame that Don has to be dragged into this mess at all!

He was gracious enough to open up a sub-thread for folks to argue their points more aggressivley while not letting things spill into the rest of the website. So regardless of who is to blame here I have to ask, isn't everyone involved adults and if so, why can't they behave as such?

Since this thread is addressed to Don I will throw in my two cents. I disagreed with Don when he tried this experiment but I always support his final decisions as this is his, and only his, site. That said it appears that the reasons I felt this experiment would fail are becoming readily apparent.

Don, I pray that you and your family have a fantastic Thanksgiving and I hope you ignore this foolishness and stuff yourself with everything that is nice about this Holiday! I know I'm going to be chowing down....

Happy Thanksgiving Don,

Skip
Skip as I have said 99.9% of the time I agree with and value your posts.

Some of us do like to get into spirited debates on touchy subjects. On occasion these debates turn down ugly paths. Phrases such as "That was dumb" or "You are wrong" and "That was an idiotic statement" and "pull your head out of the sand" etc. etc. etc. I mean I could go on and I am guilty of using MANY of these phrases.

As for these debates take a look at the hit counter on the site. Don knows that all too well the highest number totals are that of the more controversial subjects. Skip a lesson for you Site Traffic generates revenue. So by all means encourage Don to remove all controversial topics and watch Winni.com turn into an old western Ghost Town.

Back to the meat of the discussion. What we have here is a group of people that like to debate hot topics. Don moved that section to a little corner of the site. I think he was wise to do so for more reasons than just site traffic. The regular forum rules do still apply over there. However, there are a selct three that have been downright libelous, slanderous and just grossly out of line with fabrication and calling people's lifestyles, professions, and character into question. Some have used information shared by that member against them, some have fabricated nasty outright lies about people. It is a sad state of affairs that people can not debate issues without lying and assassinating people's character.

Once again though you put yourself up on the pedestal and thumbed your nose at the "rest of us." The reality is that there are three troublemakers on this forum that consistently cause major problems. It is hardly foolishness that one member of this site made an unsubstantiated claim that another member threatened him with guns. As an LEO you of all people should be bothered by that and see that things like this should NEVER be joked about.

To Don, Understandably your patience has been challenged by this thread. I am disappointed by the direction that the once productive discussion took. I was entrenched in this discussion due to the very personal affect it has on me. Lately I've been a debate about "how well I know my neighbors" with this fool. Fortunately he has laid off calling out my teaching abilities and treatment of children. But now this individual has turned downright nasty claiming another member of this site threatened his life with weapons.

Sorry Skip you miss the mark on this one. This foolishness has turned downright nasty. Many of us share personal information and do not hide behind our screennames. Therefore when comments are made like this it can affect our personal lives. Steve is quite upset that someone would accuse him of making threats with guns when he himself has never owned one. This is well beyond the scope of foolishness and should be addressed by the moderator of this site.

Don, I am sorry that it has come to this and it is a shame that you have to deal with this stuff. However, I do believe you need to take care of this before it spins out of control. Making up lies about people and using information shared on this site against people is something that should not be tolerated.

Chris
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
DEJ (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
VtSteve

Default Thanks all

for your thoughts, refreshing reading material.

APS, yes, you're right on that one. When I post in the paper, which is rarely, I use my own name. But thank you for answering my questions, you've been a great help. And thank you as well Don.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Yosemite Sam (11-24-2010)