Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
onlywinni

Default New Forum to Discuss Speed Limits and Other Issues on Winni

SBONH has expanded its website and added an offical membership list and discussion forums!!

Feel free to join our group as an official member and take part in crucial discussion that will help shape our lakes region and its future. It is important that you have your voice be heard.

You will be able to debate and discuss certain issues that are no longer tolerated on Winni.com.

Please take a moment and sign in at

www.sbonh.org/forums
BroadHopper (08-17-2010), LIforrelaxin (08-17-2010), Seaplane Pilot (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Shedwannabe

I'm not a power boater, so I don't fully understand the distinctions... but... everywhere I look, SBONH is reported to be opposed to Speed limits.

I've always seen this forum as neutral on boating issues. SBONH does not have a reputation for being neutral. I get the impression SBONH is an advocacy group. Advocacy groups by definition are not neutral.

So, they are really wanting a lot of people in favor of the speed limit and opposed to big boats joining their forum? Somehow I think not.

Debate and discuss certain issues no longer tolerated on Winni.com? Did I miss something? I saw that forums were going to be moderated here, not that discussion would no longer be tolerated. Personally abuse statements are affected by moderation; respectful discussion of issues is unaffected.

Does SBONH mean that there will be no limits placed on the abuse of whatever few people who might take then up on their offer to debate and discuss?

I just don't get it.... but if the few members of this forum who personally denigrate others for having different beliefs go over there, that seems a gain for all.
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shedwannabe For This Useful Post:
JDeere (08-17-2010), Yankee (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
I'm not a power boater, so I don't fully understand the distinctions... but... everywhere I look, SBONH is reported to be opposed to Speed limits.

I've always seen this forum as neutral on boating issues. SBONH does not have a reputation for being neutral. I get the impression SBONH is an advocacy group. Advocacy groups by definition are not neutral.

So, they are really wanting a lot of people in favor of the speed limit and opposed to big boats joining their forum? Somehow I think not.

Debate and discuss certain issues no longer tolerated on Winni.com? Did I miss something? I saw that forums were going to be moderated here, not that discussion would no longer be tolerated. Personally abuse statements are affected by moderation; respectful discussion of issues is unaffected.

Does SBONH mean that there will be no limits placed on the abuse of whatever few people who might take then up on their offer to debate and discuss?

I just don't get it.... but if the few members of this forum who personally denigrate others for having different beliefs go over there, that seems a gain for all.
This thread was not made for this discussion. Reread the original post. Maybe you should join the SBONH website and pose your question there. The goal is to still have avid, TIMELY discussion, without moderation of every post made all while cleaning up winni.com. That's what I gather, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shreddy For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-17-2010), XCR-700 (08-18-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post

Let me clairify a bit for you because unfortunately your perceptions are quite mis-guided.

1. SBONH is an advocacy group for safety. There has been a lot of misconception regarding speed limits. I will not discuss merits on either side however I will say at no point what so ever did sbonh push for no speed limits. They actually pushed for an extentsion of the speed limit test period to collect data only. We only fought to continue as the intial law had intended for 2 years of comparrison data, not elimination.

2. "tolerated" may not have been the best word but it has been asked that the SL debate no longer continue here. I agree fully for it has been beaten to death. the Sbonh forums is to discuss other legislation and issues that effect the waterways that unfortunately have become very contentious here. It was suggested that if anyone wanted to continue these debates to take it elsewhere. We simply provided a place for that to occur so that the boating forum would no longer have to be moderated and individuals that continued to bring up these subjects could be directed elsewhere.

3. I am not sure I understand your "tone" regarding different beliefs however sbonh is not made up of a go fast group. Membership ranges from people who only kayak, sail, power boat, cruise, or don't even own a boat at all. All beliefs and points of view will be tolerated, just not personal attacks. If you don't believe that please go look for yourself. Some of the leading speed limit supporters are involved in the discussions and have been invited to voice their points of view.

Please feel free to PM me with any further questions for I don't believe this discussion should go on further. I would be happy to address any of your misconceptions regarding the group and its mission statement.
BroadHopper (08-17-2010), gtagrip (08-23-2010), hazelnut (08-17-2010), LIforrelaxin (08-17-2010), MAXUM (08-17-2010), NoBozo (08-17-2010), VtSteve (08-17-2010), XCR-700 (08-18-2010)