Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2019, 05:33 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default how does one dispose of a boat?

Quick question: how does one dispose of a boat? For example, if I were to have access to a free boat and trailer (obviously to dispose of the boat), and the trailer was usable, would it be worth taking both and dumping the boat if it was beyond (easy) repair?

I have a transfer station in my town, as opposed to trash pickup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Getting rid of a junky fiberglass boat that is too far gone for selling, or giving away for free, probably means taking it to the transfer station.

I have seen junk fiberglass boats, sitting off in a side area, awaiting disposal, at the Meredith transfer station and assume they get weighed and the owner pays by the pound for disposal.

Anyone know what's the price/pound to dispose of a fiberglass boat at the Meredith transfer station and how's that work? From the town website, it says that construction and demolition debris costs eight cents per pound for disposal..... so who knows, maybe that's the disposal rate for a fiberglass boat ..... but, ya never know until they tells ya what it costs.

So, a fiberglass boat weighing 2000-lbs could cost $160 for unloading it, there ..... but, something tells me there is more to this story???

Believe they will accept an aluminum boat for no fee, because they make a profit on scrap aluminum ...... but, I don't really know ...... who knows?

For kayaks, canoes, row boats, and small sail boats that are in TOTALLY GOOD CONDITION, and you just want to give it away as opposed to going through the selling process, the Heart & Hands Thrift Shoppe at 8 Maple St in Meredith might accept it for resale. If they say yes to it, then it will get displayed on the grass lawn there, close to the road, usually with a price of 100-200-300-500-etc for sale.

Ditto this policy for the ReStore on Tenney Mt Hgwy in Plymouth ..... policy on accepting boats.

Cannot blame the thrift stores for saying NO to your "donation" boat because they can get stuck with a boat that will not sell, and your trashy boat problem becomes their trashy boat problem?

Heart & Hands is a legitimate charity thrift store, staffed by local volunteers, and owned by three local churches .... and the money supposedly gets returned into the local community, somehow or other, like via a food pantry, or something.

As a side comment here, it sure seems like all the local thrifts have been raising their standards lately on what they will accept.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-17-2019 at 06:49 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Transfer station

If you can get it to the (Mk, right?) transfer station, they'll take it. There are lots of services that will pick up and remove almost anything that isn't fastened down, but then you have to pay.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
Cal Coon

You put the word "FREE" on anything, it's gone... Put it on CL and/or Facebook and I guarantee it will be gone.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
You put the word "FREE" on anything, it's gone... Put it on CL and/or Facebook and I guarantee it will be gone.
No, you put "$200 OBO" on it and leave it by the road, someone will steal it in short order, or they'll try to "talk you down" to $100. Free stuff is worthless, but a $200 thing? That has value!

thinkxingu (09-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Quick question: how does one dispose of a boat? For example, if I were to have access to a free boat and trailer (obviously to dispose of the boat), and the trailer was usable, would it be worth taking both and dumping the boat if it was beyond (easy) repair?
No dumpster nearby?
Attached Images

Descant (09-16-2019), Doobs41378 (09-25-2019), Whimsey (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
fatlazyless

As already mentioned, the Meredith transfer station charges eight cents per pound for construction and demolition debris, but I suspect they charge more than that for a fiberglass boat, plus it probably needs to be stripped of all metal items including the engine, out-drive, and frame around the windshield.

They have a large drive-on scale platform where you park you car/truck and trailer before and after unloading YOUR item(s).

Will stop in there and ask about disposing a 19' fiberglass bow rider that weighs 2000-lbs and let you know.

Probably, they have boat disposal user instructions that gets deep down into the nitty-gritty because a junk boat is likely to have gasoline and oil still in it.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Major

Quote:

I have a transfer station in my town, as opposed to trash pickup.

I bet the guy at the corner of Parade and Rollercoaster Roads will take it!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
WinnisquamZ (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I bet the guy at the corner of Parade and Rollercoaster Roads will take it!
I absolutely agree He has some collection at times. That Caddy Seville sat there for quite a few years
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I absolutely agree He has some collection at times. That Caddy Seville sat there for quite a few years
When he first got it, that Caddy looked to be a pretty nice car. Unfortunately, being a lawn ornament hasn't helped it much over the years!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #11
exlakesregioner

middle of lake, pull the plug and don't look back
exlakesregioner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exlakesregioner For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (09-25-2019), thinkxingu (09-17-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #12
ApS

Question Somebody Will Want It...

Is this boat a Boston Whaler?
Old 09-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #13
thinkxingu

No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Is this boat a Boston Whaler?
Old 09-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #14
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
No, you put "$200 OBO" on it and leave it by the road, someone will steal it in short order, or they'll try to "talk you down" to $100. Free stuff is worthless, but a $200 thing? That has value!

I have never had a problem with the word "free". EVERY time I've used it, the item has gone. Quickly. Hence my guarantee.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #15
fatlazyless

Default ....... $0.08/lb for a stripped fiberglass hull

Ok ….. asked at the Meredith transfer station, and was told it is eight cents per pound for a stripped fiberglass hull. All metal items including the engine and outdrive need to be removed. The gas tank needs to get removed regardless if metal or plastic.

They had a pile of six large fiberglass hulls in a side area; old bow riders, sport fishers, and a quasi-pontoon made by Donzi …… so's maybe they all get demolished by a front end loader/back hoe and then pressed into a dumpster trailer ….. or something ….. then hauled to that great big landfill in Bethlehem, NH. ….. https://www.casella.com/locations/bethlehem-nh-landfill

Basically have no clue what 'zactly happens to these junk boat hulls ….. maybe shipped to South Korea; shaked, baked, and remade into interior parts for the big selling Kia Soul ….. who knows?

Forgot to ask about an aluminum hull which is most likely treated different ….. as in 'no charge' cause they make money on recycled aluminum ….. but not really sure?
Old 09-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #16
2DAMTS

Default Kars4kids

KARS4KIDS will take it as a donation. If they auction it off for
More than $500 you can claim it on your taxes.
They will also pick it up for free.

(877) 527-7454‬
2DAMTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:44 AM   #17
ApS

Red face Fooled Me...

I used to drive by a house, admiring the 20+ foot boat they'd placed next to a fenced corner of their front yard, and adjacent to their gate.

Months go by, and they're having a yard sale so I drop in.

Passing the boat, it's revealed to be only half a boat with lush plantings behind it. Inside the empty hull are six garbage cans, "really to roll" to the curb.

While the lush plantings are only possible in Florida, my hat's off to an excellent use of a boat that has seen the end of its useful days.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Today's Sept 25 craigslist-boston/boats has an extremely good looking Seidleman 30' sailboat with a 9.9-hp outboard, shown moored at anchorage in South Boston ocean harbor mooring with a listed price offer of FREE.

Correct spelling for Seidleman should be Seidelmann.

Appears to be a real offer for free ..... nice looking boat ..... is too good to be true? ..... one way to dispose of an unwanted boat?

..... here's the link .... hmmmm ..... is it for real ...... who knows?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bo...986157913.html
Old 09-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #19
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Today's Sept 25 craigslist-boston/boats has an extremely good looking Seidelmann 30' sailboat with a 9.9-hp outboard, shown moored at anchorage in South Boston ocean harbor mooring with a listed price offer of FREE.

Appears to be a real offer for free ..... nice looking boat ..... is too good to be true? ..... one way to dispose of an unwanted boat?

..... here's the link .... hmmmm ..... is it for real?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bo...986157913.html
Why don't you take it, put it in your yard and make a planter out of it.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #20
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Why don't you take it, put it in your yard and make a planter out of it.
..... there's a similar 1979 Seidelmann 30' sailboat listed in Yacht World for $9,900 ..... so's at this level of price ..... maybe it is a free give-away by someone real wealthy who just wants to unload it fast, or something?

One man's trash is another man's treasure?
Old 09-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #21
Bob M

Default How does one dispose of a boat?

I've been hesitant to post this but back over 30 years ago, during a house construction, after the foundation hole was dug, a second hole was dug in the front yard for the hull of a stripped down fiberglass boat that obviously had seen better days. Not recommending this as a solution to be copied but I was a witness to it being done.

Several of those involved, including the owner of the boat, are no longer with us so I doubt very much that they will mind this revelation. The person for whom the house was being built was present for the burial.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #22
thinkxingu

Just for closure: one of my plans was to cut a fiberglass boat up, but I called my transfer station and was told that if the boat was stripped of engine, metal, etc.--fiberglass hull--and it was under 1k pounds, that I could just dump it and they would crush it with their trucks. Over 1k, and the cost started. At a ton, it was $122, I think. If it was aluminum, I could throw it in the recycle trailer or sell it to a metal recycler.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #23
fatlazyless

Tomorrow's Oct 5 Laconia Daily Sun has a front page article on disposing fiberglass boats titled: "When boats reach the aft-erlife" that talks about the problems and challenge to get rid of a junky, unwanted, fiberglass boat.

"Please, don't bring it here!"

Go to their website and click on the e-Edition to read it.

And, how do you get rid of old gasoline if the old clunker boat has a gas tank with eight left-over gallons of old gasoline? What do you do with it?
Old 10-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #24
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Tomorrow's Oct 5 Laconia Daily Sun has a front page article on disposing fiberglass boats titled: "When boats reach the aft-erlife" that talks about the problems and challenge to get rid of a junky, unwanted, fiberglass boat.

"Please, don't bring it here!"

Go to their website and click on the e-Edition to read it.

And, how do you get rid of old gasoline if the old clunker boat has a gas tank with eight left-over gallons of old gasoline? What do you do with it?
can you provide a link or the article here, i might have something to get rid of and have been following the story
Old 10-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #25
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
can you provide a link or the article here, i might have something to get rid of and have been following the story
https://www.laconiadailysun.com/boat...484bf7394.html
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (10-07-2019), fatlazyless (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #26
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Sounds like a good business opportunity for someone willing to put in the work.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #27
fatlazyless

Default Is M&M Boat Salvage up for sale?

3 photos in above LaDaSun article .... in case you missed them .... take a good look. Seems like a used boat parts business that is totally perfect for Ebay .... Ebay is the internet .... and the Ebay seller can be located anywhere in the United States or the world and the stuff sells for a higher price.

In Meredith, across from the DPW and transfer station, isn't the parcel of land, home to M & M Boat Salvage listed for sale with a 'for sale' sign out by the road? So, will it continue as a boat salvage or become something else or will the town purchase this large, open piece of land with a power line running across and above it?

Will look for the 'for sale' listing ... 8 Jenness Hill Rd, Meredith NH 03253

Until there's a method for recycling fiberglass boat hulls into some type of building material like Trex lumber or mixing it with asphalt paving or something, the transfer station breaks them down with a front end loader/back hoe and stuffs the broken fiberglass boat into a dumpster trailer that goes to Casella's land fill in Bethlehem, NH.

If you cut up a fiberglass boat hull with a chain saw, and then run the large pieces through a large, powerful wood chipper ..... can the resulting pile of fiberglass chips get remade into a new, year-2020 Chevy Corvette sports car ..... or something? Is now a good time to remake that 1977 19' Bayliner into a 2020 Corvette that sells for $65,000 ...... or what!

The message of this newspaper article is the "what to do" with unwanted, old junk fiberglass boats has become more of a problem with M & M Boat Salvage no longer taking them .... and the article says M & M could pay $500, or charge up to $2000, depending on the boat.

Boats are just like people ..... it's not the age .... it's the condition!

Believe the transfer station is okay to receive an aluminum boat hull and they are able to sell the old scrap aluminum? Unlike fiberglass, seems different for aluminum? Of course, aluminum boats and aluminum docks usually last forever and can be resold and used, unlike old, unwanted fiberglass. Bringing an aluminum boat to the transfer station for disposal is somewhat similar to bringing a 10 carrot gold toilet to the transfer station for disposal.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-07-2019 at 10:32 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #28
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
thank you for providing the article, I was hoping it was going to provide some insight on how to get rid of them, not just well they used to do it this way and now know ones

I'm sure the guys at Fays know or any other marina if they journalist asked or did a little more digging to make it a complete story. It was more of like just a opening segment of hey old boats are a problem
Old 10-09-2019, 05:27 AM   #29
ApS

Question No Pictures?

Quote:
Just for closure: one of my plans was to cut a fiberglass boat up, but I called my transfer station and was told that if the boat was stripped of engine, metal, etc.--fiberglass hull--and it was under 1k pounds, that I could just dump it and they would crush it with their trucks. Over 1k, and the cost started. At a ton, it was $122, I think. If it was aluminum, I could throw it in the recycle trailer or sell it to a metal recycler.
Would a good cleanup with a pressure-washer make the boat more presentable for sale—or for free?

Or to highlight damage to make repairs easier to assess?

Is the hesitancy of putting it on Craigslist one of legality?

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote