Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
Bear Guy

Default Predicting autumn morning fog

Weather folks: I'm wondering if there's a way to predict if and where portions of the lake will be fogged-in on a fall morning.
The problem - I'm considering commuting to work a few mornings in September by boat from Bear Island. I did this last year too - one morning was fine but the next I had to wait almost 2 hours for the fog to lift so I could head to the marina. I rely on visual navigation - I don't own a special GPS for the lake - so being able to see where I'm going matters.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Watch dewpoint temperatures

Watch dewpoint temperatures vs air temperatures. The closer those two are, there is a likelihood of fog, especially with calm winds.

One point: using a GPS device to navigate in fog may keep you from hitting an island, a shoal area, e.t.c., but won't keep you from hitting another vessel doing the same thing!

Dave
Old 08-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
MDoug

Default Fog

I use Raymarine gps and radar. My iphone Google Maps app also works ok as backup gps
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

I agree with UP. A cold calm morning in the fall usually does it. Even a mild breeze like 3 or 4 mph will clear the fog. Dead calm and cold then you will have a long wait for it to clear.

Several mornings each fall we go from Welch to Glendale in fog via GPS. We go slow both of us looking and listening for that other boat. Yes when following a GPS route in fog, the other boat is the real concern.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Sound signal

Per the NH Boating Guide, page 37 (I think), states that in reduced visibility, a powerboat should sound a prolonged blast at intervals not to exceed 2 minutes.

Dave
Attached Images

Slickcraft (08-23-2019), trfour (10-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #6
Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Guy View Post
Weather folks: I'm wondering if there's a way to predict if and where portions of the lake will be fogged-in on a fall morning.
Try usairnet.com It's an aviation website that shows the ceiling (cloud height) and visibility (visual distance at ground level). This should tell you when fog is predicted, and when it should lift.

I find it to be very accurate, and useful for all recreational weather planning.

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...te=NH&sta=KLCI
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riviera For This Useful Post:
Bear Guy (08-24-2019), Descant (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Guy View Post
The problem - I'm considering commuting to work a few mornings in September by boat from Bear Island. I did this last year too - one morning was fine but the next I had to wait almost 2 hours for the fog to lift so I could head to the marina. I rely on visual navigation - I don't own a special GPS for the lake - so being able to see where I'm going matters.
I commute regularly between Mark and Glendale and that early fog can be brutal. Some mornings it's clear between Mark and Bear, but when I come around Mink I can barely see the front of the boat! I have GPS on the pontoon, but not on the Chaparral. I downloaded an app to my phone called Fly to Map...it's a chart plotter. On a clear day, I turned it on and took a straight course to Glendale. The chart plotter makes a track which can be saved, then called up when it's needed. Keep the icon on the track, and it'll get you where you need to go, even through the thickest fog!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Bear Guy (08-24-2019), Descant (08-23-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
ApS

Question Kayakers and Radar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDoug View Post
I use Raymarine gps and radar. My iphone Google Maps app also works ok as backup gps
While I don't own a kayak, curiosity drove me to Google—where I found this statement:

Quote:
A decade or so ago, my local club did a test of various radar reflection strategies (including one commercial reflector on the market at the time) with the local Coast Guard. The other makeshift things we tried were wrapping a paddler in a Mylar blanket, covering a helmet with aluminum foil and one guy actually wore a steel colander on his head. It was on a windy, rough day and the bottom line is that even though they could see us visually, nothing made us visible to radar. According to the radar operator, we never looked any bigger than a sea gull on the water and couldn't be readily distinguished from the surface noise. If he hadn't known where we were, he never would have given what he saw a second thought. This was at close range, so at a distance our visibility would have been even worse.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
MDoug

Default Fog and Radar

My Raymarine radar has alerted me twice to fishermen in front of me in the fog.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

5:30 am today dew point 52 and air temp 53 at shore of Welch. Moderately thick fog over the lake. At 6 am light 2 to 4 mph breeze. 6:15 am fog gone.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
trfour (10-16-2019), upthesaukee (08-27-2019)