Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Andrea.wiltfong

Default Whats going on in Alton????????

My husband is on way back to New York, was going through alton traffic circle??? I guess there are a bunch of cops down there? and a bunch coming flying in to Alton off 28 going at least 100 mph.
Andrea.wiltfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 AM   #2
wifi

Head on accident, three cars involved. One vehicle on fire, entrapment and injuries. Should be in the paper this morning.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:14 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default One fatal unfortunately

Accident occurred near the Merrymeeting Campground, about a mile east of the Alton Circle near Heron Point Road. We heard the call for a DART helicopter which was subsequently cancelled due to a "signal 22" (deceased person).

WMUR is not saying much more on this mornings news, other than more info should be available today (Monday).

So sad.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Do you know what time that accident happened? Because we were coming home from Laconia around 1:30 and saw a lot of emergency vehicles headed up Rte 11. We thought maybe someone had heatstroke or fell or something at Mt. Major. There were tons of people hiking. I wonder if this was a different incident or the same accident??
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

wmur reports....
Quote:
ALTON, N.H. —One person died and three others were taken to the hospital following a crash on Route 11 in Alton on Sunday night.
A pickup truck crossed the center line in order to pass several vehicles, and struck another pickup truck head-on, according to authorities.
There were two people in each of the trucks, including one who died and three who suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries, police said.
The State Police Technical Accident Reconstruction Unit responded, and the investigation is ongoing.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/headon-cras...#ixzz348ml4m2Y

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Andrea.wiltfong

Default wow

Wow, sad news! I figured it would be in news someplace at some point.
Andrea.wiltfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
RailroadJoe

I travel Route 11 a lot at 55 to 60 miles per hour. Needless to say , many times the cars pile up behind me. Why they have to do 10 miles over the speed limit, whether 30 or 70, is beyond me. I have had them pass me and two other cars in about the same place. They must be doing between 80 and 85 to pass 3 of us. Normally I see them stopped at the traffic light in Farmington.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
nhboat61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Do you know what time that accident happened? Because we were coming home from Laconia around 1:30 and saw a lot of emergency vehicles headed up Rte 11. We thought maybe someone had heatstroke or fell or something at Mt. Major. There were tons of people hiking. I wonder if this was a different incident or the same accident??

We hiked Mt. Major yesterday as well and when we got down the FD/EMS where just as little south of the main entrance.

It was a humid hike and we turned around and came down, never made it to the summit. We saw no activity on the blue.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nhboat61 For This Useful Post:
tis (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
I travel Route 11 a lot at 55 to 60 miles per hour. Needless to say , many times the cars pile up behind me. Why they have to do 10 miles over the speed limit, whether 30 or 70, is beyond me. I have had them pass me and two other cars in about the same place. They must be doing between 80 and 85 to pass 3 of us. Normally I see them stopped at the traffic light in Farmington.
We were headed home around 9pm(we live in Merrymeeting river mhp) and as we were going by taylor rental on rt.11 headed west a pickup passed 3 vehicles behind me and than our vehicle and barely got back into the lane before hitting an oncoming car. I said that guy is going to kill someone! 5 minutes later as we were pulling into the park we saw the accident about 100-200 yards up the road, it had just happened moments before. debris everywhere and one truck was on fire and no responders had arrived yet but could hear sirens in the distance. Residents of the park were coming out to see what the loud crash was, and than emergency personel arrived and blocked off rt.11 from johnsons to the circle and detoured traffic to old bay rd. We went to bed after midnight and the reconstruction team were still on scene. many surrounding towns had responded including the d.a.r.t. helicopter landed at johnsons for transport.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
jrc

So the ambulance and fire trucks I saw south of the Mt Major parking around 1:45 PM on Sunday, were not related to the head-on pickup truck accident?

It is a shame that a person was killed and others were seriously hurt in this accident. Does anyone know what happened near Mt Major?

BTW how do we know that anyone was speeding, or if someone was they caused the accident? The only speeding anyone reported on this thread was the police.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
So the ambulance and fire trucks I saw south of the Mt Major parking around 1:45 PM on Sunday, were not related to the head-on pickup truck accident?

It is a shame that a person was killed and others were seriously hurt in this accident. Does anyone know what happened near Mt Major?

BTW how do we know that anyone was speeding, or if someone was they caused the accident? The only speeding anyone reported on this thread was the police.
Did you read the post from riverat right above your post?
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
We were headed home around 9pm(we live in Merrymeeting river mhp) and as we were going by taylor rental on rt.11 headed west a pickup passed 3 vehicles behind me and than our vehicle and barely got back into the lane before hitting an oncoming car. I said that guy is going to kill someone! 5 minutes later as we were pulling into the park we saw the accident about 100-200 yards up the road, it had just happened moments before. debris everywhere and one truck was on fire and no responders had arrived yet but could hear sirens in the distance. Residents of the park were coming out to see what the loud crash was, and than emergency personel arrived and blocked off rt.11 from johnsons to the circle and detoured traffic to old bay rd. We went to bed after midnight and the reconstruction team were still on scene. many surrounding towns had responded including the d.a.r.t. helicopter landed at johnsons for transport.
WOW!! I can't believe you were that close and a witness to the cause of that horrific accident!

I'm sure it's not a good feeling to witness something like that but it certainly could of been a lot worse for you considering you were seconds away from disaster!

Someone was looking out for you Riverat!!

Dan
Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
salty dog

Default Rt 11 closed

My wife and I were heading to Minge Cove around 11 AM yesterday morning just leaving Alton Village when two Alton Police SUV's went flying by us towards the lake. As we went by Amilyne's, the traffic slowed and we totally stopped in front of Pop's. Fire trucks came by then ambulances. We shut off the engine and just waited. While we were sitting we saw the Mount pull up and dock. A few minutes later the road reopened and traffic began to move. We noted no cleanup or any aftermath of an accident and wondered if it might have been a medical emergency either in the water on on the Mount.

Last edited by salty dog; 06-09-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling change
salty dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #14
Jeanzb1

My youngest son was the driver of the vehicle directly behind the truck that swerved over the center line and crashed head-on into the two teenagers who had just stopped at Johnson's for ice cream. My son is the one who first called 911. He said it was pretty gruesome and expected at least one fatality.
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
riverat

This same truck that passed me and others was going at least 100mph. And he attempted to pass more vehicles when the head - on occurred

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #16
Mr Cooke's Crew

Default Alton Bay;

I believe there was a motorcycle accident right at the Mount Dock, right around 11 am.
Mr Cooke's Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

The Alton guys were pretty busy yesterday, weren't they??!!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #18
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
This same truck that passed me and others was going at least 100mph. And he attempted to pass more vehicles when the head - on occurred

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Wow, that is crazy. I assume you have given that info to the police. I am sure it will help their investigation.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Wow, that is crazy. I assume you have given that info to the police. I am sure it will help their investigation.
I would like to highlight this comment - please call and report what you saw if you haven't already.

Do we know who the victims were? The kids in the other vehicle, or the truck driver?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote