Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Happy Gourmand

Default American Boat Club

http://www.americanboatclubnh.com/
Sounds like a very interesting concept for those of us who love boating but hate all the other "stuff" that goes along with it. I spoke with a guy named Kurt, and he didn't seem to be able to provide much more info than what is posted on the website.
The price seems right...$3200 fior the season...only other cost is the gas you use...but...they don't have any boats yet.
Does anybody out there have any more details about this venture?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Steve Di.

Default A Great Idea!

That sounds like a great idea, in principle.

I have owned two boats, one was a 20' trailer boat, the other a small cruiser. Although I miss boating, I do not miss all the other headaches and work that comes with boat ownership.

This seems to be the way I will enjoy boating in the future. I am curious as to how much usage is allowed for the $3,200 fee.
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Happy Gourmand

Default usage

Kurt says usage is unlimited...you can have up to four "reservations" at one time. There is no other cost beyond the gas you use.
All other costs...cleaning..maintenance..docking... is included in the yearly dues.
Several years ago, I belonged to a flying club that worked out great. Since I sold my boat 2 years ago, I have been thinking that a boat club, operated similarly to a flying club could work out just as well.
Does anybody out there have any knowledge of any other boat clubs in any other part of the country and how they work out?
It will operate out of Aqua Marina in Laconia.
And a correction here...I said the dues would be $3200...I just reread the info I was sent...it is $3600....still barely the cost of a rental slip.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Steve Di.

Default Boats?

What is the size and type of boats is he using? I looked at his web site and saw a picture of boats in the water, which must be a stock photo.

As a matter of discussion, most people would want to take a boat for the entire day. They said arrangements can be made for that, but I didn't get the impression that it is something they would want to do on a regular basis.

Having to fuel up the boat and have it back at the marina by 1:00pm would be no fun. I imagine the 2:00 to 7:00pm slots will be the most popular time.

This is an idea that could fly. We will see.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
AllAbourdon

The concept exists elsewhere. I considered this in the past especially since there is reciprocity between other locations.

http://freedomboatclub.com/
AllAbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Nauset

Default Will it happen?

I tried calling them multiple times last year and there was no answer and no machine. Now to hear there are no boats and little information with spring right around the corner doesn't sound promising. I was at the Boston Boat Show and did not see a booth. That would have been a prime place to drum up business. I would be very interested in this venture if it does materialize.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nauset For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Nauset

I did some checking on the Akwa Marina website and there on the homepage is the same phone number listed on the American boat club website along with the name of the Kurt person mentioned in this tread.
http://www.akwamarina.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Nauset For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Steve Di.

Default Not Off The Ground Yet

The photo gallery in the American Yacht club was taken from the Marina's web site.

It looks as though this idea is still in its conceptual state.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Di. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Happy Gourmand

Default Amreican Boat Club

I just got this email from Kurt. This is an exerpt.
"We are shopping for boats right now (we currently have a bowrider, pair of waverunners, and a little tiny sail boat). Our water side office is complete and just needs upfit. We have the beta version of our custom software running now, I expect it to ready for people to start reserving boats in a week or two"
Intrigueing.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I talked with the guy last year, about becoming a member of the beach club, thinking that a destination for boat rides where the kids could come out and play would be nice. Unfortunately it was a bit too costly. I also talked with him some about this venture. While I believe the intentions are good, I am not sure I would recommend jumping in quite yet.

I think the idea may have some merit, however getting it started on the other hand is going to take some time. I am sure the first few years, are going to be short on enough boats to rent out... Additionally depending on your tastes for a few years, I would expect just as outlined, they are not going to have more then bowriders, wave runners, and some small sail boats. Once they get to the point, where they have larger boats, I am sure this venture will be a whole lot more attractive.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
NoBozo

Default Just for Info

Here's a program that has been in existence for years. A lot cheaper than the Winni proposition.. the last time I looked. Sail Newport is for SAIL. We always have wind.

http://www.sailnewport.org/

Winni does NOT always have wind, so SAIL alone would not work IMHO. $3600 seems to me to be ...well I wouldn't give it any consideration. Here's why: The weather. You need to predict the weather for a given day. Sunny, Breezy..etc. Everyone else is doing the same. You call for reservations at 7:00am. Answering machine. You call again at 8:00am. Sorry sorry sorry: We're totally BOOKED for the day.

SO: Do you get back any of the $3600 you coughed up if you never get to use the boat when it's convenient to YOU.?. When you own your own boat, you get to go boating when YOU want to. Maybe that justifies the effort of ownership. Just sayin. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Here's a program that has been in existence for years. A lot cheaper than the Winni proposition.. the last time I looked. Sail Newport is for SAIL. We always have wind.

http://www.sailnewport.org/

Winni does NOT always have wind, so SAIL alone would not work IMHO. $3600 seems to me to be ...well I wouldn't give it any consideration. Here's why: The weather. You need to predict the weather for a given day. Sunny, Breezy..etc. Everyone else is doing the same. You call for reservations at 7:00am. Answering machine. You call again at 8:00am. Sorry sorry sorry: We're totally BOOKED for the day.

SO: Do you get back any of the $3600 you coughed up if you never get to use the boat when it's convenient to YOU.?. When you own your own boat, you get to go boating when YOU want to. Maybe that justifies the effort of ownership. Just sayin. NB
From what I read, it is a web-based reservation system, so it is up to the member to schedule their slots. $3600 actually seems cheap IMHO. They seem to be exactly the same as the Freedom Boat Club in Portsmouth, I wonder why they did not go the freedom route? I have to say I wish them the best of luck, at least they are trying to create knew opportunities and jobs, in this environment. Ice is still on the lake it seems like a smart move limiting boat purchases till the spring, conserving capital.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
Winni P

Default NOT the same as Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchhaven View Post
From what I read, it is a web-based reservation system, so it is up to the member to schedule their slots. $3600 actually seems cheap IMHO. They seem to be exactly the same as the Freedom Boat Club in Portsmouth, I wonder why they did not go the freedom route? I have to say I wish them the best of luck, at least they are trying to create knew opportunities and jobs, in this environment. Ice is still on the lake it seems like a smart move limiting boat purchases till the spring, conserving capital.
It is important to point out that they are NOT the same as Freedom Boat Club (FBC). When you join FBC you have a choice of locations from where you can use a boat from & I believe FBC is a regional if not national club.
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
jonfinn

I hope American Boat Club flies. It's a good idea for certain kinds of boaters. From what I've seen on this forum, Lakes Region local boaters are always helpful and courteous to guests of the lake, until the "guests" disrespect the lake in some way (usually out of ignorance, arrogance or inexperience).

My concern is how ABC will handle training it's members.

I've got a little 17' bowrider that lives on a trailer. I've taken out on Winni and Boston Harbor (other places too). Even though Winnipesaukee can be unforgiving at times, there are parts of Boston Harbor that can be downright scary if you don't know what you're doing. On the right day, in the right conditions, in the right area, it's an amazing place to take a boat ride.

My point is this: An inexperienced FBC member goes out on the Harbor on a breezy day and routinely encounters the wakes of boats 50', 100' and up. Maybe even a 400' freighter or a commuter boat. They get the be-jeezuz scared out of them right away. When that happened to me, I learned very quickly that this can be really dangerous, and that I need to proceed with caution all the time.

Winnipesaukee, by comparison can "seem" easier. After all it's only a lake right?

I don't think that about Winni, but some people could.
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfinn View Post
Winnipesaukee, by comparison can "seem" easier. After all it's only a lake right?

I don't think that about Winni, but some people could.
I think you're spot on with this observation. That is part of my frustration with boating on the lake, you have people with no clue about what they're doing making the overall experience less enjoyable at times (IMO).

I haven't boated in Boston Harbor or the ocean, but I grew up on the Great Lakes, and used to take my dad's 30' cruiser out when I was 16. The 'Lakes are basically freshwater oceans, you have storms with 10' + seas, freighters, routine 3' swells, etc. Pretty much everything but tides. You didn't encounter too many boaters that were operating without some basic knowledge because doing so for very long was literally deadly.

The boating certificate program has helped a little bit, but not to the extent that it should have.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
Nauset

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfinn View Post
My concern is how ABC will handle training it's members.
I wouldn't think that ABC would be taking on the task of training boaters beyond some basic Winni advice. That would be the boater's responsibility. Hopefully this service would attract a more knowledgeable boater rather than the type who is a one time renter out for a joy ride. As a past boat owner on the lake I would be interested in a boat service like this.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I would think this would be a good venture for a marina with a big floor plan and a lot of used boats......If i'm spending $3,600 a year,I want a decent boat at my disposal.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
laddheath

Personally I think this is a great business plan. Yes there are limitations to its members and they do have to "schedule" there time without knowing the weather but how much is that worth? I would never put myself through the exersise but I spend WAY more than $3,600 a year on boating. GOOD LUCK with the business
laddheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #19
Nauset

It may not be that hard to schedule a boat as there may be those who join and actually use the boats very little. How often do you see boats go unused most of the season as people are too busy to go out?
On another note if this does get off the ground I wonder what Akwa Marina amenities might be thrown in with the deal.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
Nauset

Default Fbc

I live fairly close to Cape Cod and have been considered FBC. I was doing some research today and found the following thread on another site with lots of differing views.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...ad-2009-a.html
Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #21
Happy Gourmand

Default Current list of boats....

Searay 240 Cruiser
Searay 210 SLX Bowrider
Berkshire 22 foot Pontoon
AlumiCraft Navigator Fishing Boat

I'm still on the fence. Any former boaters out there who, like me, love boating but got fed up with all the cr@p that goes along with ownership?
How about just plain renting..... do any of the marinas rent decent boats without advertising banners all over them? I doubt that I'd be interested in anything under 23'.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #22
Nauset

Default Rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
How about just plain renting..... do any of the marinas rent decent boats without advertising banners all over them? I doubt that I'd be interested in anything under 23'.

Goodhue & Hawkins has a 26' Cobalt to rent for $800 per day.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #23
Happy Gourmand

Default $800/day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauset View Post
Maybe not quite THAT decent!!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #24
winnisummergal

Default WoW

Their 20' at $360 works for me!
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #25
robmac

Shep Browns just added new boats to the rental fleet. I haven't seen any of them with signage on them. Took a quick look at prices,a 235 bowrider w/11 passenger capability was 395.00 a day. Hope that helps.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #26
Happy Gourmand

Default Shep Brown's

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Shep Browns just added new boats to the rental fleet. I haven't seen any of them with signage on them. Took a quick look at prices,a 235 bowrider w/11 passenger capability was 395.00 a day. Hope that helps.
Yup...that will work perfectly for me. As for the American Boat Club...that won't work for me this year....just this weekend we went out and bought a hottub...seats 6 so now we just have to find 4 friends ...and of course we need a new deck for it. If this cold weather keeps up, we'll be able to use it this season!!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #27
AmericanBoatClub

Smile Questions

If anyone would like to ask me any questions, I would be happy to answer them. We are very excited for the up coming boatings season. You can see the boats at our website. http://www.americanboatclubnh.com/ or for more photos facebook http://www.facebook.com/AmericanBoatClub

Kurt
603-231-6002
AmericanBoatClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #28
Steve Di.

Default Costly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
At 10 rentals you will be over the price of the ABC club fee.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #29
robmac

But and that is the issue,I can get a boat when I want one!
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #30
AmericanBoatClub

Default :-)

Hello all,
This seems to be the question every one is very concered with and I understand why. Can I get a boat when I want? Or, If I am a member can you guarrantee I can get a boat?
The short answer is I can't, but you the member can. If you reserve your boats and slot, the boats will be there ready for you to go enjoy them. We also will have a very low member to boat ratio, this will make reserving the boat you want when you want very easy.
Hope this help
Kurt
Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #31
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di. View Post
At 10 rentals you will be over the price of the ABC club fee.
And you have the boat for the whole day.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #32
AmericanBoatClub

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
And you have the boat for the whole day.
I hope it is okay to keep posting, I do not want to over step the forum rules, but...

We strongly encourage members to take/reserve the boat for the whole day. Even take it over night. I think you maybe viewing our breaking the day up into two from the wrong light. We did not intend to do that to limit people it was to create more choices. If our reservation were for the whole day and someone only want it to go fishing in the morning the system would show it check out all day and other members would not know it was sitting in the marina. So the way we have it set up you can take it when you want but if you only want it for a breakfast cruise someone else can take it out for a dinner cruise. And of course we always encourage calling us and checking for missed reservation.
Our member to boat ratio will allow you to use the boats you want when you want them.
Also the club and boats are an entirely different animal than a rental fleet.
Kurt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmericanBoatClub For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (04-05-2011), Winni P (04-02-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #33
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBoatClub View Post
Also the club and boats are an entirely different animal than a rental fleet.
Kurt
Could you elaborate further..? How are the boats different..? Just wondering. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #34
AmericanBoatClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Could you elaborate further..? How are the boats different..? Just wondering. NB
I am glad you asked.

First off we have no decals on the boats. Member will be able to make unlimited reservations for a flat rate all summer and will not be subject to price changes to due to bike week, holidays, etc... Since we have fewer people using the boats, than a rental fleet, the boats will be in better condition. These are just the first 4 boats and two of them (Sea Ray 240 and Sea Ray 210 Select) are not part of any rental fleet I know of, the next one will most likely be a 260-280 Sea Ray, from there we will be adding boats that you will be hard pressed to find for rent on the lake. We want to give people access to very nice boats at the price of a boat slip.

I think the rental companies around the lake do a great job, we are just serving a different type of boater.
NoBozo (04-01-2011), Winni P (04-02-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #35
AmericanBoatClub

Default How the reservation system works.

This video may help to explain a little bit of the confusion on how the system works. It walks through the basic steps to reserving boats.
Hope it helps and please go easy on me and my dialog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fe0L...el_video_title

This video is no longer applicable as the reservation system has gone threw several years of changes and upgrades.

Last edited by AmericanBoatClub; 04-06-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #36
jbess

Quote:
If anyone would like to ask me any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Kurt
603-231-6002
Here's one for you Kurt.

Have you considered a partial membership? Like a limited number of reservations for a reduced fee?

I ask this because I am very interested in ABC, but the cost and my time at the lake (usualy avg. 2 weeks a summer) just don't make it feasable for me. I have trailerd a boat back and forth from Ct. to Winni and have even sliped at Akwa for a week one year (before renovations) and loved the convienience.

I like the "club" aspect over just a rental deal...

Thanks, Joe B.
jbess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #37
AmericanBoatClub

Default thanks for asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbess View Post
Here's one for you Kurt.

Have you considered a partial membership? Like a limited number of reservations for a reduced fee?

I ask this because I am very interested in ABC, but the cost and my time at the lake (usualy avg. 2 weeks a summer) just don't make it feasable for me. I have trailerd a boat back and forth from Ct. to Winni and have even sliped at Akwa for a week one year (before renovations) and loved the convienience.

I like the "club" aspect over just a rental deal...

Thanks, Joe B.
Thank you for asking. We have given it a lot of thought. It is something we would prefer to avoid and keep one simple program. Two weeks is too short to join.
If you have an idea or proposal I would love to hear it.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #38
kauriel

Quote:
Thank you for asking. We have given it a lot of thought. It is something we would prefer to avoid and keep one simple program. Two weeks is too short to join.
If you have an idea or proposal I would love to hear it.
What about allowing a limited registration with a much lower fee (say $500) that includes one prime rental per year and then only allow these members to make pay-per-use off-peak reservations (say no more than 7 days in advance and charge $100 for half day or $300 for whole day) or pay-per-use peak reservations for the day of use.

That would prioritize higher level member reservations while helping fill voids that the boats might otherwise not be used. (Think about the concept of hotwire.com where hotels sell empty rooms as discounts because $50 is better than $0.) You could also limit total rentals to x per week or x per year to further encourage customers in better financial positions to buy the more expensive package. Given these difficult times I would think it might be easier to sell 20 $500 memberships than 3 $3,300 memberships.

We are at Village at Winnipesaukee and would love to participate but we work and can't be up every single weekend all summer so it would be cheaper for us to rent a boat every visit than to participate and build a relationship with you. I would really love to see a better relationship with our organizations and I see a great potential to work together as neighbors!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #39
AmericanBoatClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
What about allowing a limited registration with a much lower fee (say $500) that includes one prime rental per year and then only allow these members to make pay-per-use off-peak reservations (say no more than 7 days in advance and charge $100 for half day or $300 for whole day) or pay-per-use peak reservations for the day of use.

That would prioritize higher level member reservations while helping fill voids that the boats might otherwise not be used. (Think about the concept of hotwire.com where hotels sell empty rooms as discounts because $50 is better than $0.) You could also limit total rentals to x per week or x per year to further encourage customers in better financial positions to buy the more expensive package. Given these difficult times I would think it might be easier to sell 20 $500 memberships than 3 $3,300 memberships.

We are at Village at Winnipesaukee and would love to participate but we work and can't be up every single weekend all summer so it would be cheaper for us to rent a boat every visit than to participate and build a relationship with you. I would really love to see a better relationship with our organizations and I see a great potential to work together as neighbors!
Thank you for the idea. It is something we have considered. The problem is it gets away from our core biz model. We would prefer 3 full time members over 20 part time members, all other things being equal. Keep in mind that we do not plan to have that many members. Maybe we will consider it in years to come but for this year we are going to stick to the basic model.
With that said we hope to get the boats in the water soon! I hope to see a lot of you out on the water. If you see me at the town docks with a big American Flag sitting on a boat, please come say hello.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #40
AmericanBoatClub

Default Boats In!!!

Thought I would share some photos with all you wonderful people of the boats just relaxing in the marina waiting for opening day!!

[IMG]
From American Boat Club Boats in 2011
[/IMG]
[IMG]
[/IMG]
[IMG]
[/IMG]
[IMG]
[/IMG]
[IMG]
[/IMG]
Not sure if I embedded this right

Last edited by AmericanBoatClub; 05-03-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: I think I figured out how to put the photos!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #41
birchhaven

Default Nice Press!

Nice Press, good luck...
http://www.laconiadailysun.com/story...hout-ownership

Last edited by birchhaven; 05-06-2011 at 06:10 PM.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 AM   #42
Kamper

They're a board sponsor now.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/adpeeps...efault&ver=2.0
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #43
AmericanBoatClub

Smile Thanks

Thanks for all the support, the season is off to a great start.
Here we are in the Weirs Times http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1sf...esources/3.htm
Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #44
AmericanBoatClub

Smile Great Season

Thanks you for all the advice we received. Our final weekend of boating is coming up this weekend. The 1st season of American Boat Club was a great success, and we look forward to rapid growth in the future. Our average member used a boat over 24 times (keeping in mind most of member joined part way through the season, and does not include walk-ins) and boat availability was great through-out the season.
We had many seasoned boaters, but we also had some members who were enjoying boating for the first time, and it was nice to be able to introduce these people to the lake and boating, in a cost effective way.

Have a beautiful fall and a great winter.

Kurt
NHBUOY (10-11-2011), suge (10-14-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #45
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Congratulations Kurt, and continued success in your future. NHB.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHBUOY For This Useful Post:
AmericanBoatClub (12-08-2011)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #46
Happy Gourmand

Default New Year's Resolution...

Join the American Boat Club.....

Talked about it last year, didn't do it for whatever reason. Will be sending the paperwork to Kurt this weekend.
Spoke with him a few times and I don't think I can go wrong.

Is it ice out yet?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #47
AmericanBoatClub

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Join the American Boat Club.....

Talked about it last year, didn't do it for whatever reason. Will be sending the paperwork to Kurt this weekend.
Spoke with him a few times and I don't think I can go wrong.

Is it ice out yet?
Welcome aboard!!!

Great resolution too

Kurt
Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #48
ushaggerb

Quote:
Welcome aboard!!!

Great resolution too

Kurt
Kurt, will there be any type of program for people coming in for, say, 10 days. I won't mention any names, but we've been renting for years now, and tried several marinas. The boats are shot, too small for the Lake (at least during a windy day or weekends). And we still end up paying around 3 Grand.
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #49
ushaggerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post

Had one more thought on this. Could you have a "marry up" program, in which could split a membership?
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #50
AmericanBoatClub

Default co memberships

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushaggerb View Post
Had one more thought on this. Could you have a "marry up" program, in which could split a membership?
We do not offer co-memberships, at this time.

Kurt

Last edited by AmericanBoatClub; 04-06-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #51
AmericanBoatClub

Talking Latest Addition

Warming up for the 2012 season we just picked up our next boat and we are very excited.
The newest addition to the fleet is a fully loaded 2012 210 SLX, it is not just identical to the boat that Sea Ray used for there Catalog to show case the boat with ever available option, it is literally the boat used in the photos!

It is a head turner.

[IMG]
From 2012 210SLX
[/IMG]

[IMG]
https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/tra...background.gif) no-repeat left">
2012 210SLX
[/IMG]

Last edited by AmericanBoatClub; 03-16-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: I can never remember how to do the photo thing
The Following User Says Thank You to AmericanBoatClub For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (03-17-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #52
AmericanBoatClub

Just added another 2013 Berkshire pontoon to the fleet, can't wait to get it in the water.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #53
AmericanBoatClub

Default Another boat

We are pleased to be adding another boat to fleet. It is very first class boat, we a very beautiful interior and a nice dark blue hull. Can't wait get it in the water this Tuesday.
Have a great holiday weekend and be sure come by the beach bar and say hello.
Kurt
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #54
AmericanBoatClub

Default Season 5 on the way

Hello all,
Just checking in to give everyone an update on the club. We are heading into our 5th season. We have 6 boats in the fleet of boats and will be continuing to add more. We have 3 searays and 3 Berkshires. We have learned a few do's and some don'ts when it comes to the boat selection, and up fit. Interesting I think a few of these would probably apply for your average boat buyer so I will share a few of those discovers later on.
The club is still using an updated version of its original custom software from w4o software. It will run on popular Web browsers and there is a mobile solution as well. So you can book a boat from the beach. We have seen some very interesting statistics show up on boat utilization. The craziest being nearly half (~45%) of all reservations result in a cancelation/no show. I think this speaks to the nature of boating in general, we all have visions of boating every weekend but the reality is something else gets in the way. This creates opportunities for other members to use that boat on a walk in bases and it works great.
A couple of things we have learned.
Don't get carpet on the pontoons, never dries out.
Don't get counter rotating props(very expensive dings)
Get aluminum props
No matter the horse power of the pontoon it goes ~20mph, (we don't have triton yet)
The pontoons slowly recruit every member and become the club favorites.

Thanks
Kurt
Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #55
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default One question...

Thanks for the update Kurt.

Just curious: Do you have a no-show cancellation clause in your reservation policy? I can see allowing a cancellation up to say 48 hours before pickup time. People could reserve the boat a couple of weeks in advance, and then on Wednesday find the weather forecast is 100% chance of rain on Fri, Sat, and Sun.

What must be frustrating, especially without a clause, is to have a good boating weekend, and have someone no show, making the rental that time period difficult.

Thanks, and best wishes for continued success.
AmericanBoatClub (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #56
AmericanBoatClub

We do have a clause but we never enforce it.
The cancelation can happen right up to the minute before the boat is supposed to go out. We also have many many no shows where the boat shows up as checked out but the person never shows. Or they go out for 20 minute cruise and come right back.
I don't consider any of these situations a problem.
What ends up happening is dock hands will attempt to reach the no show, and see if they are coming via cell phone. If no response after a reasonable amount of time we let the boat go out on a walk in bases. We have many members who come up to just hang out at akwa marina for the day, so they are sitting by the pool and look at there phone and see a particular boat is supposed to be out but it is actually sitting in the Marina. So they go and ask to take the boat and away they go, without having to book a reservation. So they could actually have all there reservation booked for the next weekend but still a joy boats all week.
The walk ins are what create spotinuty (sp ?) in the club and are actually one of the most over looked features when signing up.
Great question

Last edited by AmericanBoatClub; 03-31-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #57
pjard

Interesting observations Kurt...you are so spot on regarding the pontoon boats. They quickly became our favorites...so much so we went out and bought our own last year. Not a good business model for you! LOL You guys are great and we LOVED our time with American Boat Club. One year we went out of the lake 46 times with your boats. I HIGHLY recommend the club to anyone.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
AmericanBoatClub (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #58
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Interesting observations Kurt...you are so spot on regarding the pontoon boats. They quickly became our favorites...so much so we went out and bought our own last year. Not a good business model for you! LOL You guys are great and we LOVED our time with American Boat Club. One year we went out of the lake 46 times with your boats. I HIGHLY recommend the club to anyone.
We did the same thing..members for a year and had the opportunity to enjoy every boat. We too favored the pontoon boats and we also bought our own but with a bit more HP (200). We've owned fiberglass hulled boats in the past and would never go back. We love our pontoon boat and are grateful to ABC for the introduction to them.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #59
AmericanBoatClub

It has been a long time since this thread was updated but it still comes up in conversation with people thinking of joining the boat club, so I wanted to up date it.

The boats are always changing but right now they are:

240 Berkshire Tri-toon

210 Berkshire Pontoon

22' StingRay Deck Boat

210 SLX Wakeboard SeaRay

210 SLX SeaRay

THIS LIST IS NO LONGER UP TO DATE!!!

We have also gone through several up grades to the cloud based reservation system.

Additional details can be found here https://www.akwamarina.com/page/american-boat-club

Cheers
Kurt
Kurt@akwamarina.com

Last edited by AmericanBoatClub; 04-06-2023 at 11:50 AM.
Descant (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #60
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
It has been a long time since this thread was updated but it still comes up in conversation with people thinking of joining the boat club, so I wanted to up date it.

The boats are always changing but right now they are:

240 Berkshire Tri-toon

210 Berkshire Pontoon

22' StingRay Deck Boat

210 SLX Wakeboard SeaRay

210 SLX SeaRay

The price is a one time signing fee of $1200, then $3900 per year. It really is the best boating deal in the area.

To make things even better we are currently waving the $1200 signing fee for new Members till 2/15/19

We have also gone through several up grades to the cloud based reservation system.

Additional details can be found here https://www.akwamarina.com/page/american-boat-club

Cheers
Kurt
Kurt@akwamarina.com
How many members are vying for these 5 boats?
What are the odds of having a boat every weekend through out the summer?
Is there a guarantee on a certain number of reservations through out the boating season?
The advantage of having your own boat is it's availability any time you want it.
If availability is limited due to too many reservations and not enough boats then that's a big negative.

Just looking to see if you can provide more information on the forum.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:13 PM   #61
AmericanBoatClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
How many members are vying for these 5 boats?
What are the odds of having a boat every weekend through out the summer?
Is there a guarantee on a certain number of reservations through out the boating season?
The advantage of having your own boat is it's availability any time you want it.
If availability is limited due to too many reservations and not enough boats then that's a big negative.

Just looking to see if you can provide more information on the forum.
We aim for a 5:1 ratio, 5 members to 1 boat, depending on the membership this sometimes is closer to 4:1.

The boat club plays into peoples behaviors. If you plan to use a boat all day every weekend, then you are someone who should buy a boat. Most people like to think they will get out on a boat that much but we all know it never happens. Life happens. Kids games, family commitments, choirs around the house, etc, etc. Not to say you can't get a boat every weekend, but getting a boat on a Saturday every other weekend is pretty easy to do. Monday through Friday we are lucky if more than one boat leaves the marina. Saturdays book up about 10 days in advance. Sundays can book up depending on the weather. We do have a 40% no show/cancellation rate. This creates a big opportunity for walk-ins. People hanging out at the beach club who don't have a boat booked can take an unreserved boat (or no show, cancellation) without booking a boat. The cloud-based reservation system is completely transparent so our members can see what is available at any moment. Our average user take a boat out 40 times per season, we have had a few go getters get up to the 70s and we don't track walk ins.
I can not stress enough how good a deal the boat club is, to rent a slip on the lake right now is going to be ~5k and you supply the boat and the headache
Biggd (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #62
Garcia

Boat clubs make a lot of sense for many people. Show up with your stuff, load and go. No trailering, no maintence, any problems are someone else’s...

I know people with memberships in Florida. One really nice feature is they can use the boat that fits their needs for the day. Scenic trip? Take a pontoon boat. Headed out to fish - center console is ready to go...
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #63
Biggd

Thumbs up

It sounds like a pretty good deal for the right person, esp now where they are waiving the $1200 sign on fee. It gives you the option to try it out for a season to see if it's right for you.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #64
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It sounds like a pretty good deal for the right person, esp now where they are waiving the $1200 sign on fee. It gives you the option to try it out for a season to see if it's right for you.
It is especially when a slip alone at Akwa Vista is about 4k
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #65
Biggd

I'm a mechanic so I do service and winterize my own boat which is a chore. But for the average boat owner that relies on a marina to do these things and the cost of the boat it's a good deal. Like I said, esp with the fee being waived.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #66
TriDad

Quote:
We aim for a 5:1 ratio, 5 members to 1 boat, depending on the membership this sometimes is closer to 4:1.

I can not stress enough how good a deal the boat club is, to rent a slip on the lake right now is going to be ~5k and you supply the boat and the headache
What hours can a member have the boat for? I prefer to go out early (6am+-) and late in the day for sunset or night rides.
TriDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #67
AmericanBoatClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
What hours can a member have the boat for? I prefer to go out early (6am+-) and late in the day for sunset or night rides.
The reservation run 8 AM to 1 pm and 2 pm to 7 pm. You can string reservations together so you could book the pm slot for your evening cruise and the next days AM slot and the boat would only be due back at 1 pm that day. So you would have the boat from 2 pm till 1 pm the next day. This is just one example, only using two reservations.

Great question

Last edited by AmericanBoatClub; 03-31-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #68
AmericanBoatClub

Default New boat list

Just to keep this thread updated since it seems to still answer a lot of new members' questions:

Current Boat list: The boats change on a regular basis please check the website or ask for the current list.

Price is $7000 signing fee and $399 per month (year-round)

The season is May 15th to Oct 15th

Still the best deal in the lakes region, and no hassle. Also given how finding a boat slip is impossible, it may be one of your only options

Cheers
Kurt
kurt@akwamarina.com
603-231-6002

Last edited by AmericanBoatClub; 04-06-2023 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Update
Old 11-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #69
AmericanBoatClub

Default update:

This thread still comes up a lot when people are researching joining the boat club so I just wanted to give it a quick update.

The boat club has come a long way. However, the reservations system still works the same.

The fleet of boats however has grown a bit (and is always changing):

[THIS LIST IS NO LONGER ACCURATE]

240 Berkshire Tri-toon

22 EXS-1 Starcraft Tri-toon (new for 2023)

22 EXS-3Q Starcraft Tri-toon (new for 2023)

22 RFX CTS Berkshire Tri-toon

22 RFX CTS Berkshire Tri-toon

22CL CTS Berkshire Tri-toon

24CL CTS Berkshire Tri-toon

24CL CTS Berkshire Tri-toon

220 Berkshire Pontoon

22' StingRay Deck Boat

22' StingRay Deck Boat

190 SPX Sea Ray w/OB

Last edited by AmericanBoatClub; 04-06-2023 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:47 PM   #70
bigdog

Quote:
Just to keep this thread updated since it seems to still answer a lot of new members questions:

Current Boat list: The boats change on a regular basis and please check website or ask for current list.

Price is $7000 signing fee and $350 per month (year-round)

The season is May 15th to Oct 15th

Still the best deal in the lakes region, and no hassle. Also given how finding a boat slip is impossible, it may be one of your only options

Cheers
Kurt
kurt@akwamarina.com
603-231-6002
And a given is that you pay for your own gas, so add-on that cost.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote