Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2017, 05:43 AM   #1
lavecchi

Default Ragged island

I was looking to take my 5 year old to ragged island this past weekend and I got a little scared because of the rocks , can anyone post a sketch of the best way to access the docks / rafting area ?
lavecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavecchi View Post
I was looking to take my 5 year old to ragged island this past weekend and I got a little scared because of the rocks , can anyone post a sketch of the best way to access the docks / rafting area ?
I only use the docks and for docking you come straight in from the South...the rocks look ominous but should be well below a prop especially this season with a full lake. I always trim up my Yamaha anyway. Last season the lake was down significantly and I didn't have any close calls while docking. For rafting, you're on your own.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Winni_Bay

Default raggard island

Hello
Im also looking for the best route to get to the little cove about 1500 feet north of the docks

on the the 4th we drove on back side of raggard no wind
and their was big cruisers in their
nice small cove about 20 boats i was suprised that they could get in their
we have stayed on the beach side facing sandy island
we have a new tritoon do not want to hit rocks
any info to help would be great
or i will go early and watch some boats go in and follow path

thanks
Winni_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Like I said on another thread, come around the outside of the island across from the docks and head straight toward the northern most sandy beach. Go real slow with someone in front to spot rocks and when you get close enough, jump in and walk the boat in with your motor raised.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Winni_Bay

Default raggard island

thanks for info i will try it soon
Winni_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
CUINS

After last weekend now renamed urine cove....Disgusting
CUINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
acg123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUINS View Post
After last weekend now renamed urine cove....Disgusting
Seriously? There is an outhouse provided on the island, that's open to the public.
acg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg123 View Post
Seriously? There is an outhouse provided on the island, that's open to the public.
He just doesn't want anyone else going there...been there many times and saw no evidence of said yellow liquid...
Old 07-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
kauriel

Quote:
Did you make it over there yet? If so any tips? I want to check it out but like you I am nervous about not knowing where the rocks are.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
Did you make it over there yet? If so any tips? I want to check it out but like you I am nervous about not knowing where the rocks are.
This is last year’s post but your last one was recent. Ragged island has docks on the south end that you can simply float in at headway speed. Where the docks are there’s no danger of hitting a rock as long as you stay in the immediate dock area. As you approach you go to the left of the red/white stick straight in alongside the breakwater on the left. Don’t approach from anywhere but straight toward the docks after passing the red stick. There are rocks to the west/left of that approach. There are usually a couple of young ladies there at the docks that will assist you to dock. Just do it and once you do you’ll find it’s easy!
If you chose to anchor your boat elsewhere but the docks, the rocks can be treacherous unless you’re careful and have a spotter. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
The Real BigGuy

I’ve heard different stories re: that red/white marker. Some say keep it to your left (go east of it) going straight in toward the dock, even though the rules say go west of it. They say there is a rock northwest of it. You stay south of it (as per the rules) going east. I think this was part of a thread a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I’ve heard different stories re: that red/white marker. Some say keep it to your left (go east of it) going straight in toward the dock, even though the rules say go west of it. They say there is a rock northwest of it. You stay south of it (as per the rules) going east. I think this was part of a thread a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I go left of the stick and the rock is about 10-15 yards to the left as I go in.
The top of that rock breaks the surface but if you weren't paying attention you could bump into it...
The way the picture loaded the marker is at the right end of the pic...draw a horizontal line from under the stick and above the breakwater. That's where I go in.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #13
kauriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
This is last year’s post but your last one was recent. Ragged island has docks on the south end that you can simply float in at headway speed. Where the docks are there’s no danger of hitting a rock as long as you stay in the immediate dock area. As you approach you go to the left of the red/white stick straight in alongside the breakwater on the left. Don’t approach from anywhere but straight toward the docks after passing the red stick. There are rocks to the west/left of that approach. There are usually a couple of young ladies there at the docks that will assist you to dock. Just do it and once you do you’ll find it’s easy!
If you chose to anchor your boat elsewhere but the docks, the rocks can be treacherous unless you’re careful and have a spotter. Good luck!
I saw the post was from last summer but was curious if the poster had made it over yet. I figured someone who was nervous about going might have some good insight into how to do it safely!
Old 08-18-2018, 07:02 AM   #14
lavecchi

Default Raggard

I did make it to the island but I did it with my pwc, since I was still a little scared
lavecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #15
kauriel

Quote:
I did make it to the island but I did it with my pwc, since I was still a little scared
I don't blame you. I am still scared too and don't think we'll make it over there this season!