Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
winnisummergal

Default Is Lake Norman, NC like Winni?

Just wondering if any forum members have visited Lake Norman, NC and is it like Winni in anyway? We are contemplating a possible move next year to be closer to family and would like to live near a lake similar to Winni. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Bear Island South

our neighbors on Bear are from Lake Norman, we just had the conversation today on the comparison. They said the total shoreline is 525 miles, it is a man made lake with a lot of fingers, no mountain views and lake levels can change 8 feet.

There is a big NASCAR presence there also.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default No

My wife's cousin has a cottage on Norman, we have been there and they have been here. It is a man made lake built to accommodate a Nuclear power plant.

http://www.golakenorman.com/lakenorman/

While it was 12 years ago that we were there, my recollection is a a very warm lake with an abundance of shallow areas and large seasonal variation in level. Most docks were the floating type like seen on ocean frontage.

I'll send the cousin a note and ask for his input.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Lake Norman

Is a man made lake. Average depth is about 9 feet. Filled in 1954 it has a very interesting shoreline. Not established like Winni.

The water is very muddy compared to Winni. There are fish but mostly eels. The water is warm year round. Does not freeze over in the winter. Most of the boats are left in the water year round.

Known for huge rafting parties. I believe they hold the record for the most boats rafting. An aerial view of the rafting can be seen in most establishments around the lake. The lake is not wide. Very narrow with lots of coves. So the waves are man made.

Holidays and weekends get crazy busy. More so than Winni. Most of the boats are of the bass boats, bow riders type. Plenty of HP boats as NASCAR headquarters is in Mooresville.

Not many condos like Winni around the lake. Mostly home owners associations. With nice docking ammenities, club houses, and swimming pools.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Nagigator

Default yikes

9 ft deep man made lake, never gets cold..........good thing you guys are getting the information.....can't even begin to say, there is no comparison!
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
mrportjeff

There is no comparison to Lake Winni!!!!
mrportjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default From Lake Norman

Here is a response from my wife's cousin sitting on the dock at Lake Norman last evening:

Quote:
Hello from Lake Norman, NC,

I am sitting on our dock on Lake Norman and have been to Lake Winnipesauke many times as I have cousins in Alton. I hope to offer so useful information. First, I am not a year round resident of Mooresville, NC but our family has property "on" the lake and has for several decades. We've seen it develop and change. I don't know what your specific interests or concerns are but I'll try to hit what I think might be the greatest contrasts.

We don't have any "Ice Out" pool. In fact, if we ever have ice, you'll be more concerned with larger issues than that! Lake Norman does get snow. By comparison, it is laughably little. But an occasional (read once every couple of years) 6" - 10" does happen with lighter coatings maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Boating and enjoying the lake is a year round opportunity depending on your boat and your interest. The lake is in some respects like Winni as it is long. But the water is largely quite deep averaging approximately 50 feet. The shores are largely natural and not rocky. There are very few islands by comparison. The lake is man-made developed by Duke Energy back in the 1960's and is part of the Catawba River chain of man made reservoirs originally built for hydro electric power generation. Today it is mainly for water cooled nuclear plants. There is one on Lake Norman and the fishing is good year round there. Fishing sports are good generally all over the lake with Large Mouth Bass, Stripers, and Cat Fish as the primary targets. Water levels do fluctuate a fair amount as they lower the lake level in the winter and raise it summers for boating, etc. It does not generally change more than a couple of feet during the summer season. Real Estate is like any lake. You can find any number of million dollar homes and up for sale these days. The shore is substantially developed with either inaccessible or undesirable areas left untouched. If you're into Sailing you must be aware of you water depth at the dock. Check out the restrictions on docks and covered boat slips. The key there is the square footage of "covered" water. Naturally sandy beaches are somewhat scarce. Many you see are man made. Structure like "sea walls" or "breakers" are not allowed. But likewise they are not required as a practical matter. And last but not least, the water WILL warm up in the summer!

Hope this helps.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
winnisummergal (09-08-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Spent some time on a similar lake once...lake Cumberland in Kentucky, also, man made. No sandy shore or rocky ledge anywhere.....but one thing bothered me. When they filled the lake, there were forests below which are still standing, eerily, under the murky water. Made anchoring a challange.....also, stories of difficulty finding drowning victums because they get snagged on debris. Good bass fishing.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
... difficulty finding drowning victums (bodies) because they get snagged on debris. Good bass fishing.
LOL
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
MariaNYC

Default Grew up there

Your question compelled me to register! I grew up just north of Lake Norman and, in fact, pre-date it. My college had a lake campus there so I'm pretty familiar with swimming in it - boating not so much. As others have noted, Lake Norman is man-made so the bottom can be muddy and mucky. Since the predominate soil type there is red clay, you may come up with a film of red dirt after swimming. A friend who lives on the lake could not fathom that I would consider scuba diving here - her reaction, based on Lake Norman and many southern lakes - was how could you possibly see anything through the murk in a lake. Folks who spend more time there can perhaps address whether the frequent traffic tie-ups on I-77, the main artery, affect their ability to get there and around. Finally, the areas around Lake Norman are in the process of becoming Charlotte suburbs, and much of the development visible from and around the lake has been charm-free although individual condo or home developments can be attractive. And a couple of the towns are taking advantage of the increasing affluence to start up nice restaurants and such. But nothing akin to a Wolfeboro or Meredith, nor the retro charm of Weirs Beach. Maybe Davidson, a college town, comes closest. Much of he lake is about a half hour from Charlotte, which has professional sports and the like, which could be an advantage depending on your interests.
MariaNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MariaNYC For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-06-2010), winnisummergal (09-08-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
sea_n_ski

Default Drove by last week

I was on a college hunting trip with my daughter and drove by Lake Norman just last week.

A couple things I found interesting. First off almost every boat was on a lift with a roof above it. The second thing was that the Interstate cut across it a couple of times.

It looked like a beautiful lake with people fishing, tubing and cruising around. I didn't see any large boats like we have on Winni.
sea_n_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:12 AM   #12
Lucky1

If you have family there, why not go for a visit nearby and see Lake Norman for yourself? I could live without a lot of things that Lake Winnipesaukee offers, but some things here are very important to me. What are the things that are important to you?

Are you thinking of moving there full time? If so, would you be willing to drive to a lake and live near to your family?

Used to drive the girls to FL in April. NC is a two day drive so pack the car and take off for a few days, visit your family, look at lakes etc, and come back and tell us what you think.

At one time we looked at a lake in a different state that seemed charming to us for about a week. Looking back on that adventure now, I wonder what on earth we were thinking!! Always remember, "Act in haste, lament at leisure." Take your time and think this all through carefully. Good luck.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
winnisummergal (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
onthebay

Default Lake Jocasse, Lake Keowee, SC

Has anyone has any first hand experience with Lake Jocasse and Lake Keowee? They are located in the southwest corner of South Carolina up by Georgia. I also was looking for an alternative "not a substitute" for Lake Winni. Looking for a little longer boating season and less snow.
I believe that Clemson University is in the area.
From what I have seen online it looks like the cost of lakefront is pretty similar to Lake Winni and it is located in the mountains which keeps the water cooler and clearer than most southern lakes. Being down here in FL I wouldn't even consider going in freshwater but see people tubing, swimming, and waterskiing all the time...
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #14
winnisummergal

Default Recently returned from Raleigh

Lucky1,

We just returned from Raleigh to visit family, however, it was a short one and we didn't have time for the 2+ hour trip to Charlotte. At some point we will make it to Charlotte but since we currently live in Arizona it's not a quick weekend "roadtrip", therefore, we wanted to get any information from those who have been to both Winni and Lake Norman. Thank you to everyone who offered such great information. We still have much research to do, not to mention aquiring employment! Please continue to leave your thoughts!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #15
Soccer Coach

Red face Lake Norman OK, but not Winni

I live in North Carolina, and grew up very near Lake Norman. Big lake, but does not compare to Winnipesaukee. I worked 11 summers on Lake Winnipesaukee during and after college.

Norman was formed when a large dam was built near Charlotte on the Catawba River. Hydroelectric plant there, rather than nuclear. A lot of farms were leveled and covered with water to form the lake in the early 50s. Lots of old farmers thought they had made a lot of money when they sold lots in the 50s. They wouldn't believe what they go for today.

Google Lake Norman on Wikipedia. There is info about the lake that is accurate, as well as a picture of what the shorline looks like. Popular lake with lot to like for a man-made lake. Water is cloudy, and gets muddy in the coves when boats and water skis are running.

Lots of different kids of fish in the lake, mostly bass and crappie. I guess there are eels in there, but I have never seen one.

Comparison with Winaukee unfair as Noman is less than 60 years old. I'm a N.C. native, but Winnipesaukee is my favorite place on earth!
Soccer Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soccer Coach For This Useful Post:
winnisummergal (09-13-2010)
Old 09-25-2010, 02:55 AM   #16
ApS

Wink Lake Norman is a Freshwater Lake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebay View Post
Has anyone has any first hand experience with Lake Jocasse and Lake Keowee? They are located in the southwest corner of South Carolina up by Georgia.
Lake Keowee is known for the many residents who are professional baseball players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_n_ski View Post
The second thing was that the Interstate cut across it a couple of times.

It looked like a beautiful lake with people fishing, tubing and cruising around. I didn't see any large boats like we have on Winni.
I drive I-77 through Lake Norman twice yearly: it's not just Lake Norman that is divided by Interstate I-77, but I-77 separates Lake Norman and Lake Davidson at one point.

Although it's somewhat warmer there in Spring and Autumn than Lake Winnipesaukee, there are seldom any boats actually doing any moving when I pass through there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
There is a big NASCAR presence there also.
Would that include the "Richard Petty Driving Experience"?

Having an Interstate highway running across a lake should make for close-up viewings of boats, it doesn't always work out exactly that way.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:20 PM   #17
Wandermust

A TWELVE YEAR thread dredging!

I just read throught this thread having found it during a search comparing Lake Norman to Lake Winnipeasukee. Except for a few early posts with completely erroneous info about the water depth and the type of fish, the posts are still fairly accurate, even today.

I know this is a Winnipeasaukee forum but I'd like to hear an elaboration on what people mean when they were talking about how Norman doesn't compare to Winni.

I'm on Lake Norman now and have been thinking I might want to relocate to Lake Winnipeasaukee. My wife and I are growing tired of the heat in the spring/summer/fall. Winter is too short for us and the post about the laughable snow we get was spot on (except a couple of marina owners, boat owners and insurance companies would have words for you because snow had collapsed a couple in a spectacular fashion!).

The other thing we're not huge fans of is the crowds and the some of the extremists (and we're not even liberals!!). Some people complain about the overcrowding ON the lake but it's far worse OFF of the lake. The corrupt politicians let builders build massive housing/condo and even apartment complexs on 2 lane roads then act shocked when there are massive, daily traffic issues all year around.

We want to come up this year and check your area out. We put up a listing on some house swap site but I think it only has a few dozen people on it. If anyone knows of a real site that gets a lot of action, we might be interested in trading either temporarily (perhaps even permanently) our Lake Norman waterfront home for one of yours. I'm sure there are some folks there as tired of the cold as we are of the heat. Let's both make a massive mistake together!
Wandermust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:19 AM   #18
dickiej

I don’t think Lake Norman is muddy so much as it has a red clay bottom and reflects the light up through the water to make it look cloudy….we were tubing in Lake Norman, and the water was clear if you cupped it in your hands.
However, if you want deep, clear lakes that rival Winnipesaukee, go to Idaho. Beautiful big lakes that are relatively undeveloped. Idaho is heaven, but getting discovered by the California people and will be ruined soon. Ugh.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 09:26 AM   #19
dickiej

Here’s one…Payette Lake
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:48 PM   #20
SailinAway

Wandermust, if climate is a main issue for you, be aware that it's hard to get good climate data, in my opinion, because the climate is changing significantly in New England in the last 10 to 20 years or so, while reports on the average climate of a certain place are likely to go back much further and thus don't reflect current conditions. It can be more useful to google "climate change New Hampshire" than "climate New Hampshire." As someone who is active outdoors year round, I can tell you that climate change in New Hampshire has greatly impacted my lifestyle. I exercise at 5 a.m. to avoid the heat, almost never go camping in the summer, get up at 4:30 a.m. to go kayaking and get back home by 10 a.m., etc. The ski industry has been impacted by short, warmer winters. My snowshoes almost never get used as there's not enough snow. Hopefully things are not as bad here as in North Carolina, but the days of escaping from the overheated cities to "cool New England" and "bring a sweater for cool summer evenings" are over. The worst part is not just the heat, but the extreme humidity that sucks the life out of you. In my opinion, it's too late to move to central New Hampshire seeking a cooler climate. You would need to go quite a bit farther north for that, like northern Maine and into Canada.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:45 AM   #21
fatlazyless

Wet sister, dry sister lakes; Lake Winnipesaukee and Lake Kinneret ..... aka 'Sea of Galilee' .... where Jesus walked on water ..... are similar size, 13-miles x 7-miles, sister lakes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjGMXPcGp3Y ..... January 16, 2022 .... 'Monster Storm at the Sea of Galilee where Jesus walked' ..... with Sergio and Rhoda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO5ZCXYiu7k .... April 6, 2020 .... 'Sea of Galilee Comparison: Low vs Full (Live)' ...... with Sergio and Rhoda

Lake Winnipesaukee; go to Braun Bay or Smalls Cove-west Alton sand bar on any summer weekend to see all the happy boaters who are 'walking' on the water with a nine dollar-margarita ....

https://www.fosters.com/story/news/2...e/52576423007/ ..... 2006 .... sister lakes

........................ is better ice fishing on Winni!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-29-2022 at 11:06 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:14 PM   #22
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Wandermust, if climate is a main issue for you, be aware that it's hard to get good climate data, in my opinion, because the climate is changing significantly in New England in the last 10 to 20 years or so, while reports on the average climate of a certain place are likely to go back much further and thus don't reflect current conditions. It can be more useful to google "climate change New Hampshire" than "climate New Hampshire." As someone who is active outdoors year round, I can tell you that climate change in New Hampshire has greatly impacted my lifestyle. I exercise at 5 a.m. to avoid the heat, almost never go camping in the summer, get up at 4:30 a.m. to go kayaking and get back home by 10 a.m., etc. The ski industry has been impacted by short, warmer winters. My snowshoes almost never get used as there's not enough snow. Hopefully things are not as bad here as in North Carolina, but the days of escaping from the overheated cities to "cool New England" and "bring a sweater for cool summer evenings" are over. The worst part is not just the heat, but the extreme humidity that sucks the life out of you. In my opinion, it's too late to move to central New Hampshire seeking a cooler climate. You would need to go quite a bit farther north for that, like northern Maine and into Canada.
They use 30 years worth of data.

The ''weather'' can be highly variable within that 30 years.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #23
winnisummergal

Default Answering my own question 10+ years later

NO! It's nothing like Winnipesaukee but it's still a great lake! The ability to work in Charlotte and then be at the lake in 20 minutes is amazing. I hate the cold so living full time in NH is not an option for me but there is no place better than Winni in the summertime! Headed to Winni for annual trip next week and can't wait. The other 30 weeks of the year you can find me at Norman.