Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Irish Pub Coming to Laconia

Former Church building to be converted

Quote:

Veterans Square church building will be converted into Irish pub/restaurant by Hampton couple
LACONIA — David and Maureen Kennedy of Hampton, who trace their roots to Tipperrary and Galway respectively, plan to convert the former Evangelical Baptist Church on Veterans Square into a restaurant and pub with a distinctive Celtic flavor.
Kennedy discussed his plans for the building with the city's Technical Review Committee on Wednesday and is scheduled to seek the approval of the Planning Board next month.
Planning Director Shanna Saunders said "we fast tracked this project."
Kennedy said that he expects to close on the purchase of the building from the church next month and anticipates completing the conversion in seven months. "We'd like to catch some of the summer," he said.
In search of larger accommodations, the Evangelical Baptist Church moved to Lakeport after purchasing the former Our Lake of the Lakes building complex from the Roman Catholic Church.
The restaurant will be the Kennedy's second, both housed in churches. The Holy Grail Restaurant and Pub in what what was St. Joseph's Church on Main Street in Epping has twice been chosen as the state's finest Irish pub by New Hampshire Magazine.
Kennedy likened the historic Laconia church — originally constructed at the corner of Church and North Main Streets, in front of the Public Library — to a large split-level ranch house, explaining that a staircase at the entrance leads to an upper and lower level. He said that while he is still in the process of preparing plans he expects the dining room and bar will be on the upper level while a "village setting" with a cafe as its centerpiece would occupy the lower level, which would be lined with he called "faux shops," offering bakery items, packaged foodstuffs and perhaps Irish products. He described the lower level as a space for people to congregate while waiting for a table or enjoying a coffee after dinner.
Kennedy said that he plans to add a second story to a triangular addition at the rear of the building where for the kitchen, offices, utilities and storage. In Epping, he said he was able to provide seating in the choir loft of St. Joseph's Church above the main floor of the dining area and has contemplated adding a mezzanine to the Evangelical Church if the structure will support it.
Because the the building occupies the entire lot, Kennedy said that finding a discreet place for a dumpster has proved his sternest challenge. He said that conversations with neighboring businesses have been encouraging and is confident of resolving the issue.
The menu, like that in Epping, will feature traditional Irish offerings like shepherd's pie, fish and chips, corn beef and cabbage and boiled dinner along side more conventional fare like steak, seafood, pasta and burgers. He said that daily and seasonal specials, using fresh local ingredients, will be served. In Epping, nearly two dozen brands of beer — of course, including Guinness — are on tap.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Sounds promising- thanks McDude!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
brk-lnt

Should be cool once it's open.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Any "before" pictures of that building?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
mcdude

from Wikipedia

Quote:
Evangelical Baptist Church (also known as Meredith Bridge Congregational Church or Laconia Congregational) is a historic church building on Veterans Square in Laconia, New Hampshire.
It was built in 1836 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

Last edited by mcdude; 10-11-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: shrink photo
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (10-14-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
wifi

Being part Irish, I was about to say "how appropriate", but I'll hold that back
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
mhtranger

We have been to the Holy Grail a bunch of times and find it to be a nice place to hang out have dinner and a few craft beers. The owners are great people and always there and the staff is awesome. Will be a great addition to the lake.
There was also talk of them opening one in Methuen.
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
mcdude

Would this be the same place?

Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
barefootbay

Love The Holy Grail ! They did a super job with that venue. Would expect the same or better in Laconia .
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barefootbay For This Useful Post:
idoso (10-12-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Den65

Default Nice

I have also been to the Holy Grail in Epping, good food,good service nice place. I think it will be a nice addition to the area can't wait.
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

The draft beer list at the Holy Grail looks pretty decent:

Quote:
Deified Drafts

20 oz Imperial Pint $5.75 / 16 oz American Pint $4.75
Newcastle English Brown Ale
Magner’s Cider English Cider
Blue Moon Belgian White
Smithwick’s Irish Red Ale
Harp Irish Lager
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
Sam Adams Seasonal
Guinness Irish Stout
Sea Dog Wild Blueberry British Pale Ale
Shipyard Seasonal
Holy Grail Ale English Pale Ale
Rogue Dead Guy Ale Bock
Bass English Pale Ale
Boddingtons English Pale Ale
Stella Artois Belgiam Lager
Belhaven Scotch Ale
Murphy’s Irish Stout
North Coast Rotator
Smuttynose Seasonal
Founders Rotator
Longtrail Seasonal
Sebago Rotator
Red Hook & Friends Rotator
Old Speckled Hen English Pale Ale

Can’t decide?
Give several of our draft beers a try!
Ask your server for details about out Sacred Sampler, or Our Irish Trio.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
Slainte

Smile Irish pub

Can't wait - wish you the best as you begin this super project! Slainte!
Slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
mcdude

Thumbs up

From the Laconia Sun
Quote:
City will pay half the bill to extend water main to new restaurant Location
LACONIA — The City Council this week unanimously authorized the expenditure of up to $35,000 toward the cost of installing a 10 inch water main-llne to the former Evangelical Baptist Church on Veterans Square, which David and Maureen Kennedy of Hampton, owners of Holy Grail Food and Spirits, intend to convert to a restaurant and pub.
The council acted on the recommendation of the Downtown Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Advisory Board to draw half the cost, up to $35,000, of the water line from the TIF fund, which has a current balance of $311,353 and projected revenue of $173,687 this year. The Kennedys will bear half the cost extending the line from Main Street to the lot.
City Manager Scott Myers explained that the current 1-inch-line water service to the building would not support a sprinkler system, which the building and fire codes require of a restaurant. Furthermore, he explained that extending the larger line to the historic church building would provide capacity to expand water service to other properties in the vicinity, particularly the railroad station.
On behalf of the Downtown TIF Advisory Board, Kevin Dunleavy, director of Parks and Recreation, explained that once the church building is returned to the tax rolls, the TIF fund will begin recovering its investments in property tax revenue. Above all, he said that facilitating the conversion of the property was in keeping with the mission of the TIF District to encourage private investment and economic development in the center of the city.
Kennedy discussed his plans for the building with the city's Technical Review Committee last week and is scheduled to seek the approval of the Planning Board next month. Planning Director Shanna Saunders said that "we fast tracked this project."
Kennedy said that he expects to close on the purchase of the building from the church next month and anticipates completing the conversion in seven months. The restaurant will be the Kennedys' second, both housed in churches. The Holy Grail Restaurant and Pub in what was St. Joseph's Church on Main Street in Epping has twice been chosen as the state's finest Irish pub by New Hampshire Magazine.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #14
barefootbay

Haven't heard anything about the Irish pub lately. What's new with the Laconia Holy Grail. Are the renovations under way? Any idea of an opening date ?
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #15
8gv

I had a Scottsman work for me many years ago. I had a hard time understanding him when we first met. He'd often end his shift by saying "I've got to go to church now." I thought he was very religious until one day he explained that "church" was a bar.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #16
mhtranger

They just posted this on Facebook.

Holy Grail Food & Spirits
4 hours ago
It's official, the Second Coming of the Holy Grail of the Lakes is opening in Laconia!!! The build out will commence on Monday and take about 7 months to complete. We will keep everyone posted as the Grand Opening approaches in the fall. Tell all your friends about us up North!!
Slainte!!!
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhtranger For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (02-06-2014), Resident 2B (02-06-2014), Winopt (02-06-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #17
AC2717

hope it get done faster for some summer rainy days
Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #18
mcdude

Advertisement in the Sun today advertising "HELP WANTED" for all positions! Opening can't be far off!

The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Goon (04-04-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #19
AltonGuy

Anyone heard when the new Holy Grail will open? I think I saw they were still assembling the bar area on Facebook?
AltonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Its been a looong process.

With the city delaying water access and natural gas access, getting permission to place dumpsters in the parking lot out back, zoning and other regulatory BS. If all goes well they will open in May.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #21
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default advertising in the Laconia Sun...

Looking for help, with a May opening expected.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #22
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Had the good fortune to attend a soft opening tonight at the Holy Grail. Grand opening will be 05/19/2015. The food and service was excellent. The diners were asked to hoist their beverages during a moment of silence in commemoration of National Police Week and the officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty.

My wife hoisting a Black & Tan.

ishoot308 (05-21-2015), JimD (05-16-2015), mcdude (05-16-2015), Rattlesnake Gal (06-11-2015), Slickcraft (05-16-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #23
belly_button_biter

Default short of mediocre

stopped in yesterday for lunch. The ambience is amazing. A must visit for everybody. The food was some of the worst I've had so far in the region. tasted like it was right off the back of the truck reheated and put in a plastic basket to serve.
belly_button_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #24
mcdude

I can't wait to check this place out. You might guess that I'm Irish!

Here's their webpage http://www.holygrailrestaurantandpub.com/1003/Page.aspx

Laconia Daily Sun
Quote:
Transformation: Wait is over for opening of restaurant & pub in circa 1836 Laconia church

LACONIA — The Holy Grail of the Lakes restaurant and pub has opened in the former Evangelical Baptist Church on Veterans Square after a renovation project which took over a year.
''It was a big project. We gutted everything and had to put in new plumbing and electricity and had to upgrade the gas line. We recycled the pews and used some of them for the bar top. We built a choir loft which seats 70 and put in stairs to the third floor,'' says Khalid Farid, co-owner with David Kennedy of the Holy Grail.
''David and I were here just about every day working on the project,'' says Farid, noting that it was a long drive up from Hampton for both of them.
Kennedy says that their goal was to preserve the character of the historic two and a half story wood frame church building, which was built as a Congregational church in 1836 and moved from its Church Street location — to its current space in Veterans Square after it had been purchased by the Baptists in 1903.
The building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1985 and Kennedy and Farid said that they preserved as many of the features of the church as possible.
The second story dining room features the stained glass windows from the church and seats 180 diners, some in booths fashioned from the pews from the church, beneath the original tin ceiling, painted to mock copper. The bar, serving 34 draft beers and seating more than two dozen, is situated where the church sanctuary was. The menu features traditional Irish food.
''We wanted it to be as comfortable and relaxing as possible. The natural light from the windows helps achieve that. We want or customers to feel at home here,'' says Kennedy.
He says as part of the project an addition was built at the rear of the church on the second floor to provide space for a modern 700-square-foot kitchen.
It is the second restaurant Kennedy has built in a former church. In 2008 he built the Holy Grail Restaurant and Pub in the former St. Joseph's Church on Main Street in Epping, which has twice been chosen as the state's finest Irish pub by New Hampshire Magazine.
Kennedy says the lower level will house a cafe, bar and prep kitchen with seating for patrons having drinks and snacks and picking up take-out orders.
CAPTION: pix slugged holy grail
David Kennedy stands in the choir loft at the Holy Grail of the Lakes Region, a historic church which he and his partner Khalid Farid have converted into a restaurant and pub. (Roger Amsden/for The Laconia Daily Sun)

Old 05-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #25
Ginger_nh

Default Yikes!

Around noon today, the three of us were looking forward to the new Irish pub and a new experience in Laconia dining. Sad to say, the environment and waitstaff were great, but the food was quite poor. The Irish beef stew specialty was all gravy (which tasted canned), in an undercooked bread bowl with (I kid you not) 4 carrots and that was it. Not a single piece of meat or potatoes. House salad for $10.00 was a big bowl of lettuce with grated carrots and onions. They forgot the asaigo cheese, which was brought to the table after a request--no problem, easy to get things a bit mixed up during opening week. But not even a roll or cracker, or an interesting vegetable or crouton in the salad for $10 bucks. A cup of fish chowder was of the thick, "canned soup base" variety, with a single piece of potato and a few slivers of fish. Another diner in our group ordered a Reuben sandwich which was OK, but the accompanying French fries were of room temperature, undercooked, and tasteless.

We love to see restaurants succeed. People were flooding in the doors to check this place out. I understand the Epping Holy Grail is a good restaurant with a good reputation. What gives here? Hope they can quickly make some changes so that the folks checking this out for the first time have a good experience and will return.
Ginger_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger_nh For This Useful Post:
idoso (05-22-2015), Misha888 (05-23-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #26
Slickcraft

We stopped in about 4 PM on Tuesday, opening day. As expected it was very busy, we got 2 of the last few seats at the large horseshoe shape bar. About 2/3 of the tables were full. Both the service and the food were good.

The menu was a limited selection for the opening period until staff all get trained. So we had sandwich fare; Chicken Caprese and the Reuben both well made. A woman next to us had Guinness Steak Tips which she said was very good. They must have had "all hands on deck" for the opening as there were way too many behind the bar. Sort of comical to watch but that will smooth out and our service was fine. There was a lot of on the job training as to using the computer terminals but that will work out as well.

Beer? There are 34 taps so lots of selections. I tried the house English ale, somewhat flat and bland. Brewed to go with English food I guess. Moved on to the predictable Guinness. Wife had Newcastle, very good.

Noise? We like a pub with sounds of talking and laughter so it was fine for us. Now the acoustics of that church are meant to carry a voice and that is the case still. So if you are looking for a quiet romantic spot, the bar/tavern area is not for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #27
GUNNER

My wife & I stopped in at noon yesterday for lunch. Both of us were quite happy with our meals. We both had French Onion Soup which was served in a large crock bowl with lots of cheese on top. Quite tasty and my wife, who gets this soup almost anywhere we eat out, said it was one of the best she has had.
I had the Irish Dip sandwich, which was roast beef on a toasted ciabatta roll with swiss cheese & caramelized onions & au jus for dipping. Excellent sandwich. The sandwich came with french fries & a pickle spear. The fries were also good. Wife had fish & chips which also came with cole slaw. I sampled the fish & found it to be excellent. Beer battered outside, very crispy, & the fish was still flaky. Since my wife doesn't like cole slaw I had that & also enjoyed it.

The dining area & bar were busy & it is quite noisy but all in all a good new restaurant in the area. We will be going back.
GUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #28
Diver Vince

Also stopped in for lunch yesterday. We had about a 10 min wait to get seated but no big deal. The staff appeared to go out of their way to ensure things went well. They all put an effort into welcoming folks to the new restaurant. Overall, I thought the Reuben I had was the best I've had so far in the lakes region. But I was expecting that from an Irish Pub, I was not disappointed. We'll be back and will be trying them for dinner soon.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #29
Slickcraft

A correction to my post #26, the woman next to us had the Coulate Steak (not the Guinness Steak Tips) which she said was very good. And it sure looked good. I should have asked my wife before posting my review.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #30
jeffk

Default Last Thurday

My fiancée and I went to the Holy Grail for dinner. First, I loved the setting. The mural above the bar is almost 3 dimensional. Lots of seating available and lots of wait staff to accommodate the opening crowd. We got there at 5:30 and were seated immediately. There is a buzzy noise level which I find part of the "pub" experience and appreciate. However, I noticed something. While the sound is there I found it very easy to converse. Normally, other conversations might crisscross and make it hard to hear each other. But I noticed all the surfaces are pebbled which tend to break up the sound. So you get the busy pub buzz but it's still easy to talk. Neat. Someone thought that out.

We ordered the Irish nacho appetizers which use potato slices instead of chips and corned beef as the meat. We enjoyed them with a German Blufeld Riesling. They were served up quickly as was the wine.

My fiancée had the Guiness Beef Stew which she liked although it could have used a bit more beef and vegetables. I had the Coulate Steak with sweet potato fries and onion rings, all very tasty.

We finished things off with the Apple Crisp a la Mode which was good but the apple part should have been warmer. I had an Irish coffee as a closer. Very nice.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #31
jetskier

Thumbs up Tried it for the first time

We went to the Holy Grail for dinner this evening.

The ambiance is terrific; they preserved much of the church and added a mural of an Irish castle. It does not feel like you are dining in downtown Laconia. Well done! Some of the seating appears to be re-purposed pews.

Both the food and the service were exemplary. My wife order the Guinness stew and a salad. She could not finish it; the salad was huge. The combination of caramelized pears and goat cheese is quite interesting.

The bar is pretty amazing. They have a huge number of beers on tap and a very large bar. I guess that is expected for an Irish Pub.

They are operating with a reduced menu at the moment, but there are still an abundant number of choices.

Clearly, we will be back.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #32
Bear Islander

We ate at the Holy Grail last night. The church setting was wonderful, even my 16 year old son was impressed. I had the Boiled Dinner, very good and large portions.

Service was a little slow but it was Saturday night in a restaurant that opened a few days ago.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #33
georgeisallheart

I went to lunch today at the Holy Grail of the Lakes and I was pleasantly surprised. The setting was unique and filled with lots of beautiful stained glass. The ambiance while loud felt very communal and welcoming as the air was filled with lots of jovial voices which all sounded like they were having a good time. I am happy to report there are plenty of crystal clear flat screen TV's well placed throughout the restaurant and pub for viewing your favorite sporting events while having a pint or enjoying a meal. The staff was friendly and prompt and most importantly the food was good. I myself had the Bangers and Colcannon and the other person with me had the fish & chips. The Bangers (Irish Pork Sausages) were tasty as was the Colcannon (Seasoned Mashed Potatoes), and I just couldn't get enough of the house gravy ladled over everything. The fish from the fish & chips was a and light and flaky Haddock that was fried to perfection as were the French fries. All and all I had a good time and I definitely recommend stopping by the Holy Grail of the Lakes if you are looking for someplace good to eat and would like to form your own opinion.

George in Laconia

P.S. It is probably also worth mentioning that they have a really beautiful and large wall mural of an Irish castle that sits directly behind where the pulpit would have originally stood.
georgeisallheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #34
AltonGuy

My wife and I ate at the new Holy Grail this past Monday evening. We had been eagerly anticipating a new restaurant in the area, as evidenced by my inquiries on the opening within this very forum string.

We had eaten at the original location in Epping and had enjoyed the atmosphere and novelty of eating within a restored Church. To be honest we were not blown away by the food on that visit which would have been about a year ago now, but we figured we caught it on a bad night. Plus, we had read and heard that many have had good experiences, so we were willing to give the new location a try.

The building has been nicely restored and obviously builds on the restored church angle. However, our visit did not get off to a great start when our hostess appeared upset by our request for a booth seat versus a high top. Once seated, our waitress was pleasant and the service was slow. They obviously are still working out the kinks so this was OK with us. However, we were again not blown away by the food once delivered. We had the Irish Nacho Appetizer, and for dinner we had a Caprese Sandwich and a Four Cheese Penne entree. The appetizer was just OK and seemed a little sparse in its flavor and presentment. The same could be said for the other items mentioned. We noted hard and uncooked green beans and the need for salt for flavoring. I had an English Ale that was fresh and good. The beer list was pretty impressive for its variety. Prices were a little on the high side though. Perhaps suitable for the area, but it seemed a bit concerning considering we did not fully enjoy our meal.

In all, with the many great eating establishments we have in the area - Fratellos, Patricks, T-Bones, CJ’s just to name a few, we doubt we will give this place another try. Further, we wonder about the long term success of this restaurant given its location. It’s not easily navigated and a bit off the path given attractions and other Restaurants in the area. We wish them luck, and hope it revitalizes the downtown, but we feel they may have to up their game to stay competitive with the other offerings.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #35
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonGuy View Post
My wife and I ate at the new Holy Grail this past Monday evening. We had been eagerly anticipating a new restaurant in the area, as evidenced by my inquiries on the opening within this very forum string.

We had eaten at the original location in Epping and had enjoyed the atmosphere and novelty of eating within a restored Church. To be honest we were not blown away by the food on that visit which would have been about a year ago now, but we figured we caught it on a bad night. Plus, we had read and heard that many have had good experiences, so we were willing to give the new location a try.

The building has been nicely restored and obviously builds on the restored church angle. However, our visit did not get off to a great start when our hostess appeared upset by our request for a booth seat versus a high top. Once seated, our waitress was pleasant and the service was slow. They obviously are still working out the kinks so this was OK with us. However, we were again not blown away by the food once delivered. We had the Irish Nacho Appetizer, and for dinner we had a Caprese Sandwich and a Four Cheese Penne entree. The appetizer was just OK and seemed a little sparse in its flavor and presentment. The same could be said for the other items mentioned. We noted hard and uncooked green beans and the need for salt for flavoring. I had an English Ale that was fresh and good. The beer list was pretty impressive for its variety. Prices were a little on the high side though. Perhaps suitable for the area, but it seemed a bit concerning considering we did not fully enjoy our meal.

In all, with the many great eating establishments we have in the area - Fratellos, Patricks, T-Bones, CJ’s just to name a few, we doubt we will give this place another try. Further, we wonder about the long term success of this restaurant given its location. It’s not easily navigated and a bit off the path given attractions and other Restaurants in the area. We wish them luck, and hope it revitalizes the downtown, but we feel they may have to up their game to stay competitive with the other offerings.

A bit off the "path"???? Lol! It's in downtown Laconia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2015, 10:26 PM   #36
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonGuy View Post

I dined at the Holy Grail this evening. We thought the food was just Ok.I found it quite salty. The sever was very nice ,but the food was slow in coming out. The highlight for me was the sangria. It was fabulous!!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #37
AltonGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
A bit off the "path"???? Lol! It's in downtown Laconia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordinarily, occupying a downtown area would not be considered “a bit off the path”, but we are talking downtown “Laconia” here. Given its current condition and lack of occupancy by retailers in recent years, it is hardly a place that is well visited. This is what I am referring to. Many of the other restaurants noted are closer to the attractions that still have visitation.

As stated previously, I hope the Holy Grail is able to boost visitation to “downtown”. The area sure has potential.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #38
Barbara

Had dinner there last night, Thursday, with four friends. Place was packed when we arrived at 6:45. We had about a 20 minute wait Nd were then seated in the choir loft. Ambience as described by others is great, though very noisy. Entertainment began about 8PM, a singer with guitar, very good but volume much too loud.

Hostess and server were friendly and efficient, but entrees took quite long to arrive. Four of the five of us loved their entrees: shepherd's pie, seafood trio and coulade steak. My baked haddock was dry and flavorless. I would never order it again.

All in all it was a fun place and I would go again, especially after a movie in Gilford. I wouldn't travel all the way over there from Wolfeboro just to eat there. Right across the street from it in the railroad station building is one of my favorite Lakes Region restaurants, Local Eatery. Excellent restaurant in every way, food, service and friendliness. Worth the trip.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #39
AC2717

Went Saturday evening around 5:30-6, hostess, atmosphere food was great
service not so much, slow and orders were a little mismatched, But wasn't enough to deter from going again. Everyone got a great meal
the Boiled dinner, Lamb Shepard's Pie, steak tips, and burger. Kids had the hotdogs.
Service does need to improve though
Old 06-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #40
Averial

Default Holy Graile Bar and Grill

Ate there last night with friend Dot Vaughn. The food was excellent, the atmosphere unique, the place was packed and filling up constantly. The only downside was the noise level. I will go back because it is excellent and the service exceptional.
Averial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:18 AM   #41
Pine Island Guy

Default Friday evening...

We ate there Friday evening... arriving about 6:15pm and the hostess said "perfect timing, you just got the last table without a wait"... And sure enough... the line started just after we were seated!

Noise was the biggest negative, but it wasn't so loud you couldn't talk across the table. The service for us was pretty good (except for refills on the water), not slow, and after they took the food order, it seemed to come out quickly... we both got the fish & chips... fish was great, well fried, crispy crust, and huge portion (we really should have shared one serving... but we are PIGs haha)... lot's of people around us had the Irish Nachos, which looked yummy, but also very heavy and we definitely wouldn't have had room for a full dinner.

Bar was well stocked and the drinks were well made.

Definitely not the place to go if you are looking for a light snack or diet dinner... most of the items on the menu were rich and large!

The band was arriving about 7pm... and we waited till 7:45pm but no music... unless they were drowned out by the ambient noise...

Overall, great experience, good food, reasonably priced, and left very full!!

- Paddy O'PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #42
samosetguy

Default Web Site

For anyone that may be as confused as I was, the web site for the Laconia location is as follows:

http://www.holygraillakes.com/home.aspx

It doesn't show up in Google maps yet but I assume it will soon.

The address is:

12 Veterans Sq.
Laconia, NH
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #43
Marauder

Default The Holy Grail

Went to the Holy Grail with Hubby and another couple and enjoyed it very much. We all got something different and no complaints. Menu is huge as is the Bar menu - yikes!
Waitress was terrific (Beth), very helpful and informative. We all Highly recommend it.
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote