Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
lakers

Default Getting close to Headway speed?

I remember a few springs ago we had a headway speed decree on the entire lake....r we getting close or no?....what was the lake level when that went into effect?.....adjusting dock bumpers on long island....
lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

It was a lot higher than it is now, at least on the east side of the lake. But there has been a lot more rain over in Laconia, Weirs, etc. so I don't know about there.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
TomC

Default can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek, but..

...the lake level is the lake level. it doesn't rise to different levels on various sides of the lake as a result of localized rainfall...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
tis

Tom, I have learned you have to be careful what you say on here, because some seem to look for a reason to tear apart details of what you say. So you learn to try to cover all your bases when you make a statement.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
KonaChick

tis you're confusing to say the least, Tom is right on this one please don't take it personally....
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Kamper

I think member tis was just making sure we knew the statment was qualified only to limited personal observation.

Anybody growing gills yet?
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
tis

Exactly Kamper. Thanks for saying it better than I did. BTW, I have grown lots of gills! I am so sick of the rain!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Skip

Exclamation Silver Lake now "No Wake" speed

The first lake has received a "No Wake" emergency posting, effective immediately, due to high water concerns.

Story HERE in the on-line edition of the Union Leader.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
DC Pointer

This is a tough one for me. I'm watching the sand on my perched beach being washed into the lake as well as the existing waterfront "landscaping" washing in as well. My cove is a popular waterskiing cove. I hate laws and people telling me what to do, but...... If this continues, it might be time to go for headway speed, just until the lake has time to reach normal levels again. And then that would mean it would be worthless to take my boat out..double edged sword i guess...
DC Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Lakegeezer

The Union Leader article says no-wake is required in Silver Lake when the water reaches 467 feet. It would be useful to have a similar statute for Winnipesaukee when it reaches 505 feet. That is well above normal, seldom reached but clearly a point at which wake seriously erodes property. What's the history of the Silver lake statute?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

In June 1998 the level was up to about 505.5 and we lived with headway speed for more than a week, maybe even two weeks. Actually it was almost eerie as to how quiet it was.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
Skip

Post Bill explanation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
The Union Leader article says no-wake is required in Silver Lake when the water reaches 467 feet. It would be useful to have a similar statute for Winnipesaukee when it reaches 505 feet. That is well above normal, seldom reached but clearly a point at which wake seriously erodes property. What's the history of the Silver lake statute?
The bill was passed last year.

The original bill, which only addressed a mandatory no wake for Silver Lake at a certain height, was ruled ITL (inexpedient to legislate) early in the session and effectively died.

A second bill, HB 648, dealing with a different issue (a formation of a commission) was ammended in the Senate later in the session to include the Silver Lake restriction. That bill survived and was signed into law by the Governor. The restriction we now have went into effect January 1st of this year.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

A lake wide no wake policy would have a pretty serious effect on tourism although I understand why it might be needed.It would bring skiing/tubing/wakeboarding/bassboaters and dinner cruises to a halt......with a big economic hit to an industry that is already reeling from all the rain.Hope it isn't necessary,but don't want to see people losing shorefront to errosion or having septic issues due to high water.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Bear Islander

[sarcasm]

I have been told many times that boats produce LESS wake at higher speeds. So doesn't that mean we need a minimum speed limit so boats will go faster?

[/sarcasm]
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
Chris333

Default headway speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Pointer View Post
This is a tough one for me. I'm watching the sand on my perched beach being washed into the lake as well as the existing waterfront "landscaping" washing in as well. My cove is a popular waterskiing cove. I hate laws and people telling me what to do, but...... If this continues, it might be time to go for headway speed, just until the lake has time to reach normal levels again. And then that would mean it would be worthless to take my boat out..double edged sword i guess...
We have had a cottage on a small cove for over 45 years. Once the folks were careful, but no more. They race through the cove pulling tubes etc. Now my cottage is only about 20 feet from the cove; even though we have spent thousands on rip-rap. It's sad that folks have to be so thoughtless; I mean, we can't even sail in the cove anymore. Like others, I don't like the idea of legislating behaviour, but I think we may not have a choice. Out in the broads may be one thing, but fast speed and the resultant wakes are ruining life in the coves!
Chris333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #16
topwater

First and foremost, I have to disagree 100% with your remark about fast speeds creating the wakes that are eroding your beach! The waves that are taking a toll on your property are coming from the SLOWER boats that are pulling the tubes and skiers, and especially the WAKE BOARDERS, you know, the ones who make a huge wake so they can jump them. IMHO, these are the culprits you should be targeting your anger at. Also have you SEEN the wakes that the Carvers and Silvertons, 35-45 foot cruisers put out???
I would like to also point out with MY extensive time on the water, that the Captain Boneheads that are commonly referred to in here are usually under one of these discription. If your not a believer, I would be more then happy to take you to Blackeys Cove , or Braun Bay, or any other cove you decide on, and we will watch for 1 hour, to determine who makes the wakes and who the Boneheads are.
Please, this is not a Empty offer, I would enjoy taking you out to watch. I see it way to often, its to bad. However it will never change in our life times, it will only get worse!!
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
DC Pointer

I agree topwater. That's the deal with my slow erosion. But what can I do? The people that wake/ski/tube in my cove are all operating responsibly so what can one say? It is what it is I guess.
DC Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote