Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
secondcurve

Default How to sell a boat

Ok gang I need some advice. What is the best way to sell a used boat? I have been relying on this site and one other for my advertising. My ad #22660 has gotten some looks but no one has splashed the boat in the water for a test drive. I also have Dave's Motor Boat on commission to sell the boat and it is displayed in their front yard.

I've cut the price sharply, it has a newer Yamaha 225 4-stroke with only 150 hours on it and it is a Grady White but so far no offers or even any serious interest. I thought for sure that some islander would scoop this baby up, but nothing so far. Is anyone buying boast? Where have others had success selling their boats?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
chipj29

I would give craigs list a shot. I posted an ad for my motorcycle last August. I had an email inquiry within one hour.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
fatlazyless

www.faysboatyard.com in Gilford does consignment sales and their listings have maybe ten photos of each boat.

I sold a boat through Fay's and they found a buyer from Ontario, Canada who drove here and towed it home.

I hear they ship boats all over, including Europe and South America, now that the US dollar has lost exchange value.

Duxbury Massachusetts, has a large & long time, Grady White dealer, right on the harbour, and Duxbury...aka Deluxebury... is definately a Grady White type of a town.

Maybe try a classified photo ad in the www.duxburyclipper.com, their weekly newspaper.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-24-2008 at 08:11 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
brk-lnt

I've had good luck selling boats and other items on ebay and craigslist.

IMO, a lot of the process is in how you write the ad. Use good grammar and run the text through a spell checker. Your boat is not an item to "LQQK" at, nor does the description ever warrant more than 1 exclamation point. It's also not perfect, and reasonable people don't expect it to be, so don't be afraid to list any known dents/dings/issues and save everyone some trouble. Don't set the price as "Firm" and don't include "OBO". Most people expect to negotiate on private sales, price it to leave a little bit of negotiating room.

Take some time to investigate reasonable selling prices for similarly equipped models/years as your boat. What you paid for it, what you owe, what some "blue book" says it's worth (and other random data points to back up your inflated asking price) have no where near as much merit as comparable sales.

Be available and responsive to phone calls and emails, realizing up front that it is tiresome to rebuff the offers to trade for a used (non-working) lobster trap, ATV's, various "projects" in miscellaneous states of non-completion and other stupid, worthless crap.

(note that I haven't read your ad, so don't take any of this as directed at you personally, just suggestions).
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Resident 2B

Default Reasonable in my eyes

Secondcurve,

I just looked at your ad and I think you have a good boat at a reasonable asking price. However, the market is the market and with the price of gas, boating is down at least a bit.

You might add "or best reasonable offer" after the price to see what pops up for offers. If they are all fairly low, maybe it is just a bad market.

That boat is perfect for an islander, a solid engine and a very good boat in rough water. It is also a great fishing boat for someone with a larger boat that wants to get some fishing in by purchasing a second boat.

Give it more time.

Good luck!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
Dave R

Advertise it on the seacoast. Put ads in Craigslist in CT, ME, MA, NY and NJ. Gradys are hugely popular the further south and/or east you go. Make sure you point out that it's a freshwater boat inthe craigslist ads too.

I sold my second boat to someone from Chicago, and bought my current boat in Indianapolis. Folks are willing to travel a bit for a good used boat.

Last edited by Dave R; 06-24-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
COWISLAND NH

Try the Want AD.....they even have it online now
COWISLAND NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
alsadad

The reason for selling your boat will often dictate the best way to do so. Here is the method that I've used successfully*:

1. Look up the value in Kelly Blue Book or other reliable sources. Add 50%.

2. Advertise in kayaking newsletters published on the west coast.

3. If someone does come to look at the boat, don't be afraid to reminisce. For example, "I remember the time the engine died for no apparent reason, on the Broads with a thunderstorm approaching. What a wild ride that was! The kids still bring it up in therapy." Or, "If it hadn't been for this boat, I never would have racked up 200,000 airline miles on my Visa card." If the prospective buyer appears to be happily married, and especially if both husband and wife are present, try "I'm really going to miss this boat, sometimes it was my only refuge, but the counselor says it's the only way to save our marriage."

The current economy and the spike in gas prices happen to provide additional raw material to work with. For instance, you could try something along the lines of, "Wow. You must be really loaded to even be thinking about buying a boat at a time like this."

Of course if you're selling your boat to cure this year's attack of two-foot disease, then reverse everything written above. Good luck.

*successfully: meaning I still have my boat.
alsadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
NHDOLFAN

I sold my boat on ebay to a person from Michigan. It was easy and I was able to get a good price. Good pics, availability and the willingness to put the Best Offer choice helped me sell.

How do I view your ad?
NHDOLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
Cristen

I've had good luck on craigslist. I sold a car within a week. Make sure you are diligent about keeping your ad current, or else it might get lost in the shuffle. Good luck.
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
Jeti

Default Slow boat market

High Retail boat pricing is way down, I am looking for a boat and Low~balling all of the people with boats that I am interested in, Some call me a freaking $#@%$ but hey there is that one dude out there, needing to pay rent, child support or his drug dealer!!!!.....

Craiglist is loaded with boats, nothing seems to be moving since I see them posted over and over months... If you motivated and can take the hit it will roll of your lawn..
Jeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
Just Sold

In talking with a friend recently and their dock neighbor at Mountain View Yacth Club put their large cruiser on Craigslist and E-Bay. They got an inquiry from a man in France and thought it might be a hoax but the cruiser is now in France. The Internet does work.

I myself used Fay's like FLL and the "Just Sold" is now in New Brunswick. They did a great job for me.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
secondcurve

Thanks for everyone's comments. I picked up some good ideas. I'll keep you all posted.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote