Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
MaidenCove07

Unhappy Akwa Marina = more Captain Boneheads

The "new and improved" Akwa Marina (translation - huge, gawdy and more expensive) has produced a whole new string of boaters who know little or nothing about boating safety. They leave and come into shore WAY too fast, way too close to each other and dangerously close to other docks AND swimmers. The wakes damaged a loons nest and I can't tell where they've relocated to or if they lost their chick.

I've called Marine Patrol several times. I've even offered bow numbers of the offenders. They fail to even drive by the area.

Does Akwa Marina carry any responsibility for the conduct of it's members?

How can I get Marine Patrol to pay attention to this serious safety issue?
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Samoset Condo Boaters

They seem to be in the same class as the AKAWA folks. I did the same. Complain to the MP. Even give bow numbers. I have not seen or heard from the MP.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Kamper

If you have the skills, make videos and post them to YouTube. Post the links here and email to the MP.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

The MP is too busy intimidating and harassing innocent boaters..... hard to find time to respond to complaints about real violations.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
EricP

I saw the blue lights at the Weirs as soon as it got dark until I went in at 1:30AM. I was wondering what was up, I would think pulling over every boat is a bit much but if a few captain boneheads learn something in the process then it is probably worth it and will make that area all that much safer as a result. Now we just need them to go hang out over at akwa docks for a weekend.

Maybe NHMP should catalog the complaints coming ina nd make note of what spots are having trouble and then in a round-robin fashion place a boat at these spots at least once during the Summer just to get their pressence out there and hopefully the complaints will diminish as folks get educated.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
randalnh

Default Again with the sterotypes ....

MC07 - as happens a lot, people lump everyone in a group under the same umbrella - I am a member at Akwa Marina, have been boating for years and take exception to your post blaming all members of the club for what most likely is one or two offenders. If you have a gripe, please take photo's, video's or what ever you need to get the offenders to stop, but don't blame the whole marina. BTW, the marina is much improved, new docks, pool, etc. - a significant improvement over the last few years - are we a tad jealous????
randalnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
MaidenCove07

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalnh View Post
are we a tad jealous????
Not at all - my family's had their own docks all my life. I just think the bigger is better attitude that persists for any construction project around the lake is pathetic..."The one with the most toys" and all....

Thank you for being responsible. Wish more of you neighbors would follow your lead.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Nauset

I wouldn't characterize a boater by where he ties up his boat that is stereo typing. Every marina has a few bad apples. Ironically the area I find people in violation of the 150' rule and right of way rules is right out in front of the Marine Patrol headquarters in Gilford.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
TimmyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauset View Post
I wouldn't characterize a boater by where he ties up his boat that is stereo typing. Every marina has a few bad apples. Ironically the area I find people in violation of the 150' rule and right of way rules is right out in front of the Marine Patrol headquarters in Gilford.
I agree: I have a slip in Fay's and coming out of Smith's Cove I always see people flying between Varney Point and the first little Island. (sorry I don't know the name) It kinda pisses me off. I also see MP go full speed on plane from their docks out into the lake. I suppose the no wake zone doesn't go over that far.
TimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
SIKSUKR

The no wake does not go to the Glendale docks.It's only for Smith Cove.There is actually a red can bouy in front of MP that shows how far 150 ft is from their dock.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
jrc

MC7 and BH, don't you think it's kind of sleazy to characterize an entire group of people based on the actions of a few? I was a Samoset boater for a few years and I can tell you, there was a mix of yahoo's and serious skilled boaters. Most of them were family boaters in bow riders, only interested in tubing with their kids.

As to Glendale this is all I could find about no wake zones anywhere near Glendale:
(f) From the red and white buoy situated off the southeasterly portion of Locke's Island in Lake Winnipesaukee to a point 600 feet northerly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.
(g) From the red and white buoy at the entrance of Smith's Cove at Glendale and southwesterly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.
(ai) From a point 150 feet northeast of the no wake sign located at the entrance to Gilford Marina and southwesterly thereof shall be a "no wake" area. (where is Gilford Marina?)

Funny smith cove itself doesn't seem to directly named, I guess (g) includes the cove, and it seems unlikely that there is much space in there that isn't 150' away from shore or boats.

From a practical matter, on weekends, I can't get on plane until close to FL 53 or FL 26 just too many boats. It's impossible to keep 150' away from them all.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote