Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Garbage Disposal replacement

I need to do a garbage disposal replacement, as current one is beginning to leak, around the plastic housing, I've put temporary patch on it, and seems to be working for now. Long term I need to replace !

I believe I've removed another disposal at other property to dislodge a stuck item, and recall it wasn't too difficult.

However, removing entire disposal, and removing sink connection and putting all back together seems like a job for a plumber and not a DIY'er.
If I tackle this sounds like an all day job, and possible a lot of aggravation, with no guaranties I can accomplish ?

How long would it take a professional plumber to perform this changeover ?.
Also, since I'm replacing the Disposal, was considering also a new sink, what the heck while I'm at it !
Approx. time for disposal replacement alone, and time for complete job with new sink.

Your thoughts appreciated.....
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
dpg

Any Plumber worth a hoot should replace both if you so decide in a morning - easily...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
bigdog (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
MeredithMan

Jay Brittain of Jay Brittain Plumbing, (603-520-7713), replaced my disposal a couple years ago. Pretty quick, as I remember...maybe a little more than an hour, if that? If you have septic, make sure to get the unit that is septic-compatible, (has a cartridge of enzymes that are released with each use). There are also different horsepower units...the bigger the garbage you grind up, (e.g., chicken bones, etc), the more HP you need.

Regarding sink replacements, drop-in sinks go reasonably quickly. Undermount sinks can be a little more time consuming. Of course, with sink replacements come the style & function decisions of stainless steel? ceramic? New fixtures?

And of course, once you replace the sink, you'll need to replace the countertops, cabinets, appliances, floors, etc, because they will all need to coordinate....
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
jbolty (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
8gv

YOU can do it in an hour.

The 10 or so disposals I've done all had the same connection to the sink, drain and dishwasher fitting. Read the directions available on line and you may decide it's a job you're willing to do yourself.

If you do, don't forget to knock out the plug in the dishwasher drain fitting on the disposal if your dishwasher drains into it.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

The 10 or so disposals I've done all had the same connection to the sink, drain and dishwasher fitting. Read the directions available on line and you may decide it's a job you're willing to do yourself.

If you do, don't forget to knock out the plug in the dishwasher drain fitting on the disposal if your dishwasher drains into it.
8gv stole my thunder, most disposals run the same attachment so there is no need to pull the sink drain end
Old 01-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

I've installed about a half dozen disposals in my lifetime and I always forget about that dam plug until I run the dishwasher and it doesn't empty.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I've installed about a half dozen disposals in my lifetime and I always forget about that dam plug until I run the dishwasher and it doesn't empty.
Oh, but it will empty, right into the closet under the sink where all the connections are supposed to happen. That is when Mr. DIY says " #¥&$ !!!!!! " 😠

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
bigdog

Thanks MeredithMan for referral of Jay Brittain !

On another note to Forum about this if I decide to DIY.....

If I purchase the same brand disposal, is there any reason why I couldn't use the old bracket that holds the disposal to sink ?
That's of course if the bracket is compatible with new disposal. Just thinking the less I have to do , the better !

Thoughts ?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
AC2717

should be able to, most units use the same bracket anyways. Unless there is a new fandango bracket and the reason they are charging you more
Old 01-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Thanks MeredithMan for referral of Jay Brittain !

On another note to Forum about this if I decide to DIY.....

If I purchase the same brand disposal, is there any reason why I couldn't use the old bracket that holds the disposal to sink ?
That's of course if the bracket is compatible with new disposal. Just thinking the less I have to do , the better !

Thoughts ?
You can do this with one stipulation:

Shine up the old drain fitting so to wifey, it looks new.

One more stipulation:

Keep the new one in case she's on to your deception!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
BrownstoneNorth

Default Models

Strongly recommend Insinkerator Evolution and dis-recommend Insinkerator Badger. We're very happy with the Evolution Compact installed in our primary home and hate the Badger in we have in Wolfeboro because: 1) noise and vibrations are like a train rumbling through the house; and 2) baffle isn't removable. The Evolution is quiet and baffle simply lifts out for cleaning or stuffing bulky garbage that doesn't easily fit through the opening.

The Badger costs about $100 less but we consider it a false saving and may even splurge to replace it before it drops dead on its own. I don't know if any of the disposal manufacturers were making models with removable, replaceable baffles at the time we bought ours because we'd never seen such a thing; the undersides of baffles collect all manner of slime that's disgusting to reach in to clean, and plumbers have told us that the fixed type can't be replaced when they start disintegrating.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Kamper

I've done a couple changes and 1 new install. You should be fine if you have the right tools. But... If you feel more comfortable with a pro, we wont tear a corner off you Man Card.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote