Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default New Cadillac headlamps

Anyone seen the brand new top of the line Caddy? They have the state of the art technology in headlamps. LED projection lamps. My gf car is in the shop for an electrical gremlin failure. Cantin is unable to find the problem. Meanwhile Cantin gave us the latest and greatest top of the line fansy pansy Caddy. Took a rocket scientist to figure out all the bells and whistles. At night the headlamps low beam have a distinguish sharp horizontal line across the horizon where the brilliant white light practically make the road shines! At high beam the light pierce the road down a great distance, almost like daytime!

This has cause a problem. We were traveling on 109 from Wolfeboro to Tuftonboro. I was driving and I kept the lamps in low beam. High beam was really unnecessary on a slow windy road. The local police passed us from the opposite direction, turn on his blue lights, turned around and pulled us over. The young officer asked for license and registration and return to his car, never telling us why he pulled us over. When he returned he ask me if I knew why he pulled me over. I said, I'm not sure as I am in an unfamiliar car and I'm sure my speed was below the speed limit. He says I have defective headlamps and the lamps needs to be replaced and reinspected! He gave me a D-tag. I ask him why it is defective and he said it was awfully bright and he feels they were made for off road use only. Replace them with the factory light. He also stated I was lucky I was given a D-tag as he could give me a ticket for illegal operation of a vehicle. WOW!

Anyone else had the same problem? I wonder if Skip has something to say. Should the local police get training on new technology?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Should the local police get training on new technology?
Maybe, but I suspect it's not a high priority when budgets are tight, unless you're talking about new technologies that present a safety hazard for emergency responders (e.g., the early days of airbags and hybrid batteries) The other problem is that automotive technology is constantly evolving, and there are so many different makes/models out there.

Your story reminded me of a situation my brother ran into in Massachusetts several years ago. He was driving on a dark secondary road near his home one rainy, foggy evening in his Volvo wagon, when he suddely spotted blue lights in the rearview mirror. He knew he wasn't speeding or doing anything that would justify a stop, but he pulled over.

Cop: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Brother: "I have no idea."
Cop: "There's a tail light bulb burned out on the passenger side"
Brother: "Really? They were working when I left a little while ago. Oh, I almost forgot ...I'm using the rear fog light, which is only on the drivers' side. It's a safety feature on Volvos that's designed to increase rear visibility in bad weather. That's probably what you're seeing."
Cop: "License & registration, please".
Brother: "I have the owners manual right here in the glove compartment. Here, take a look!"
Cop: (Goes back to cruiser to call in the license & registration; comes back a few minutes later with a summons for defective equipment) "Have a nice evening".

My brother checked the tail lights when he got home, and as he suspected, both sides were working. The cop was unfamiliar with the Volvo line, convinced that he was right, and nothing my brother said could persuade him otherwise.

So, my brother had to take time off from work and go to court with the owners manual. The cop couldn't be bothered to show up.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
old coot
Deceased Member

The police were local to where, Wolfeboro or Tuftonboro?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
brk-lnt

Which vehicle were you driving?

Cadillac has a couple of different kinds of headlight options. Some had HID lamps (you'll have headlight washers if you have these), others have the lamps that "steer" with the vehicle, which is what I think you have on your demo vehicle.

I have the same lights that I *think* you have and have never had any problems at night.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Default Many using aftermarket bulbs.

Some of the problems might be from the lights being altered up.
My wife has a Hyundai and the cutoff for the low beams was sharp and not very far down the road at all. She found herself overdriving the lights on curvy roads. After much debate the lights were altered above where they are suppose to be and she now has good distance but does from time to time get high beamed.
It seems the new lights in cars and trucks have a sharp cut off because they are so much brighter.
Then there are the ones who install the aftermarket bulbs. These are the ones that are illegal and that is what they are trying to target. I can’t tell you how many times I see car’s and trucks with these lights and they are blinding. The worst ones are the GMC trucks. They already have great lights but when the owners install the brighter bulbs they become unbearable to be in front of. I looked into them for my ford but they made no difference at all because the housing ford uses is junk. But then again Ford products I’ve owned are junk anyways, but that’s another debate. I’m going back to Toyota, far better quality and built in the US of A. Unlike Ford and GM trucks.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
codeman671

I guess I am a bit confused... You were driving a new loaner car from the dealer, no doubt on dealer plates and the officer gave you a D-tag? Wasnt it quite obvious it was a new car and thats the way it was manufactured from Cadillac?

I would have gone nutty on the officer. Thats just plain ridiculous.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
old coot
Deceased Member

Via private message, I've learned that the DE tag was issued by the Tuftonboro Police.
It sounded too much like Mayberry RFD to be the Wolfeboro Police.
oc
Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I guess I am a bit confused... You were driving a new loaner car from the dealer, no doubt on dealer plates and the officer gave you a D-tag? Wasnt it quite obvious it was a new car and thats the way it was manufactured from Cadillac?

I would have gone nutty on the officer. Thats just plain ridiculous.
That what my gf was about to do. I had all I can do to keep her from exploding on the officer.

We return the vehicle to Cantin's. I showed the service manager the tag and he laughed. 'Guess they don't have anything better to do!' He said he will take care of it. I'm just a little upset that he thinks it is a joke. My name is written on the tag and that means if it is not taken care of properly, I can be in deep do do.

BTW, the dealer can't understand the electrical problems on the gf car. My GF been back to the dealer about once a month for electrical problems since she bought the car a year ago. I mentioned to the service manager, if this state had a lemon law like Mass. My gf would have another car by now. His response: Call Cadillac customer service and see what they say.

I definitely would not do business with Cantin.
upthesaukee (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I looked into them for my ford but they made no difference at all because the housing ford uses is junk. But then again Ford products I’ve owned are junk anyways, but that’s another debate. I’m going back to Toyota, far better quality and built in the US of A. Unlike Ford and GM trucks.
I happen to like my Ford but to each his own! I've owned several over the years. I currently have a 2001 F-250 and a 1990 T-Bird Supercoupe. For the record, my F-250 was built in Kentucky almost 11 yrs ago!

As for Toyota, I'll grant you the engines are solid and the manual trannys seem to be pretty good as well but as far as I'm concerned, the quality ends there. If you recall, Toyota did a fairly large recall on their Tacoma trucks because the frames were rotting out from underneath them!! I had a 1982 SR-5 pickup that suffered from frame rot when it was only 8 yrs old; I haven't bought another Toyota truck since! My F-250 is showing it's age but that's due mostly to the amount of salt dumped on the roads in the winter. If people learned how to drive in snow (or stay home if they're afraid to!), we wouldn't be using so much salt on the roads and rotting our vehicles right out from underneath us!

Here's a quick comparison of frame strength between a Toyota Tundra frame and a Ford F-150; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
I mentioned to the service manager, if this state had a lemon law like Mass. My gf would have another car by now. His response: Call Cadillac customer service and see what they say.
NH DOES have a lemon law; http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/lemonlaw/.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #10
Belmont Resident

Default Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
I happen to like my Ford but to each his own! I've owned several over the years. I currently have a 2001 F-250 and a 1990 T-Bird Supercoupe. For the record, my F-250 was built in Kentucky almost 11 yrs ago!

As for Toyota, I'll grant you the engines are solid and the manual trannys seem to be pretty good as well but as far as I'm concerned, the quality ends there. If you recall, Toyota did a fairly large recall on their Tacoma trucks because the frames were rotting out from underneath them!! I had a 1982 SR-5 pickup that suffered from frame rot when it was only 8 yrs old; I haven't bought another Toyota truck since! My F-250 is showing it's age but that's due mostly to the amount of salt dumped on the roads in the winter. If people learned how to drive in snow (or stay home if they're afraid to!), we wouldn't be using so much salt on the roads and rotting our vehicles right out from underneath us!

Here's a quick comparison of frame strength between a Toyota Tundra frame and a Ford F-150; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE.

NH DOES have a lemon law; http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/lemonlaw/.
I own a 2004 F-350 SD Diesel, with over 5K in warranty work in the first 3 years alone.
Rust thru on the body for the second time with it being cab corners now.
Fuel injectors, fuel pumps, drive shafts just to name a few of the REPEAT problems, and now it’s fuel injectors, fuel injector control module and turbo and the truck only has 115K on it. For a diesel that’s just barely broken in.
My wife was a GM person who had multiple problems with the 1500 and 2500 HD trucks she bought so we went to Ford for the Super Duty.
I owned a 97 T-100 Toyota and put 107K miles on it and the only thing I replaced in 10 years was a clutch. Also it didn’t have any rust on it when I got rid of it.
Now if you add up all the recalls foreign car manufacturers have had it doesn’t even put a dent in the shoddy American made junk being produced now.
Unfortunately until a reputable manufacturer comes up with a 1 ton truck that will do what the 350 will do I’m stuck.
I will say though that rusting out aside the old Fords were the way to go. I always used them as plow trucks back in the 90’s.
Ever since GM went to independent front suspension their trucks are worth crap for plowing but they are by far the most comfortable trucks to drive in.
Honestly I believe it’s the unions that are the problem with the quality of American products.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #11
watrskir

Quote:
Honestly I believe it’s the unions that are the problem with the quality of American products.
Of course it is!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
sa meredith

Default 6.0

[QUOTE=Belmont Resident;170384]I own a 2004 F-350 SD Diesel, with over 5K in warranty work in the first 3 years alone.
Fuel injectors, fuel pumps, drive shafts just to name a few of the REPEAT problems, and now it’s fuel injectors, fuel injector control module and turbo and the truck only has 115K on it. For a diesel that’s just barely broken in.

2004 was, unfortunately, a TERRIBLE year for Ford diesels. I assume you have an early generation 6.0, as Ford stopped using the well like 7.3 that year.It got so bad that FMC subtracted all customer satisfaction surveys for 6.0 diesel owners from our CSI ratings. The customers poor feedback was not held against our dealerships ranking.
Ford also sent us a TSB stating that we must start every diesel once a week, and let them run 20/30 minutes...every week. Tough year for Ford diesels, 2004. But, great year for the Red Sox!
Broad hopper ...she probably would not have a new vehicle just yet. Lemon law with regard to replacing a brand new vehicle is long, tedious, and paperwork intensive. Usually ends with factory reps flying in and finding the problem.I assume you purchased it brand new. If it was used, even still under warranty, different deal all together.

Last edited by sa meredith; 10-13-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
We return the vehicle to Cantin's. I showed the service manager the tag and he laughed. 'Guess they don't have anything better to do!' He said he will take care of it. I'm just a little upset that he thinks it is a joke. My name is written on the tag and that means if it is not taken care of properly, I can be in deep do do.
I would get everything in writing from the dealership regarding this incident and the fact that they are going to take care of it.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
I own a 2004 F-350 SD Diesel, with over 5K in warranty work in the first 3 years alone.
My wife was a GM person who had multiple problems with the 1500 and 2500 HD trucks she bought so we went to Ford for the Super Duty.
I owned a 97 T-100 Toyota and put 107K miles on it and the only thing I replaced in 10 years was a clutch. Also it didn’t have any rust on it when I got rid of it.
Now if you add up all the recalls foreign car manufacturers have had it doesn’t even put a dent in the shoddy American made junk being produced now.
Unfortunately until a reputable manufacturer comes up with a 1 ton truck that will do what the 350 will do I’m stuck.
I will say though that rusting out aside the old Fords were the way to go. I always used them as plow trucks back in the 90’s.
Ever since GM went to independent front suspension their trucks are worth crap for plowing but they are by far the most comfortable trucks to drive in.
The dreaded 6 liter (IH VT365). Ford turned it up too much to win HP wars. They, and International, paid the price. I will be holding on to my 1999 7.3 6 speed manual truck!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
Belmont Resident

Default I'm keeping it

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
The dreaded 6 liter (IH VT365). Ford turned it up too much to win HP wars. They, and International, paid the price. I will be holding on to my 1999 7.3 6 speed manual truck!
At least I didn't have one with the dreaded transmission problems.
Even with repair costs that could be around 3K in the next year it still beats dropping 50K for a new one. Although the 22mpg highway numbers I'm hearing about do make me want too.
I've finally found a repair shop in Winni truck that actually knows what they are doing. After years of frustration with Meredith Ford and Irwin Ford I'd given up on finding a place that actually has a mechanics that can diagnose and properly fix my diesel truck. The service dept at both mentioned places gave me the impression they really just didn't care. On the bright side neither one comes close to the reputation Autoserve of Tilton has for service, but they do tend to have the absolute best pricing in this area.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
jmen24

BR, good luck going back to Toyota. I have a 2009 Tacoma that I bought new and I am appauled with the quality of this vehicle. The only good thing is that it has 13 cupholders , I can only imagine what the design engineers where thinking.

6 months left on the lease and I am shopping for my next vehicle now and if I find it, this load is gone.

The list of issues it has had is far to long to list, but the transmissions are a bomb waiting to go off. A good friends mother is a Master Transmission Service Tech for Toyota out of NC and is flown all over the country with a team to repair new inventory Toyota's prior to sale and to train existing techs on prior sales vehicles that are anticipated to come in.

Also, look at the rear gear numbers and you will see why they are getting the MPG that they are. If you don't tow then you would be fine, but with what you have posted prior, you will not like what you read.

Broadhopper, you have the absolute worst luck with Police Officers, than any person I have had the pleasure of meeting.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #17
Belmont Resident

Default sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
BR, good luck going back to Toyota. I have a 2009 Tacoma that I bought new and I am appauled with the quality of this vehicle. The only good thing is that it has 13 cupholders , I can only imagine what the design engineers where thinking.

6 months left on the lease and I am shopping for my next vehicle now and if I find it, this load is gone.

The list of issues it has had is far to long to list, but the transmissions are a bomb waiting to go off. A good friends mother is a Master Transmission Service Tech for Toyota out of NC and is flown all over the country with a team to repair new inventory Toyota's prior to sale and to train existing techs on prior sales vehicles that are anticipated to come in.

Also, look at the rear gear numbers and you will see why they are getting the MPG that they are. If you don't tow then you would be fine, but with what you have posted prior, you will not like what you read.

Broadhopper, you have the absolute worst luck with Police Officers, than any person I have had the pleasure of meeting.
That is very disappointing to hear that from a company known for quality trucks.
Someone mentioned about the rust recall. At least Toyota did something about it. All the American made trucks had and still do have rust issues. Guess what they do? Nothing.
I was actually considering keeping the troublesome Ford and looking into the Tacoma Crew 4X4 TRD version. However I would not buy it to tow other then a landscape trailer or to bring the sleds in for service.
Maybe once I sell the Baja I will reconsider another Super Duty. It just pains me to buy from a company that makes and sells less than quality vehicles then does not stand behind them. The only other options for the type of work I do with it, is Dodge. I’m still not confident they have their ***** together yet.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
NoBozo

I sold my '95 Tacoma V6 4X4 with 145,000 miles on it to a friend for $5,000. It was a stick shift. That was about a year and a half before the frame rust recall. I never had any problems with the truck.

With the recall, Toyota paid him $8,800 for it. I had paid $16,500 for it new.

BTW: There was absolutely NO rust in the body. NB
Old 10-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #19
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Maybe once I sell the Baja I will reconsider another Super Duty. It just pains me to buy from a company that makes and sells less than quality vehicles then does not stand behind them. The only other options for the type of work I do with it, is Dodge. I’m still not confident they have their ***** together yet.
RE: the bold print above, it kind of makes you wonder where they came up with their various slogans over the years, i.e., "Built Ford Tough" and "Quality is Job #1" and "Super Duty" as part of a truck name!! And personally, I think you'll be less happy with a Dodge than with your current Ford.

BR, to comment on your earlier post (which was a comment on mine), I've had similar problems with my F-250 but it's a 5.4L gas engine (this truck currently has 66,000 miles on the odo):
Two out of four ball joints worn out (48,000 mi); how come a truck with Super Duty in the name doesn't have greaseable ball joints????
Fuel tank filler pipe rotted (46,000 mi).
Front driveshaft rotted where the slipjoint is welded to the tube (55,000 mi).
Fuel pump failed (48,000 mi).
Bolt heads rusted off the exhaust manifold(s) (50,000 mi); replaced everything with stainless steel headers and bolts.

The cab corners and door bottoms are rotting now and the crossmembers under the pickup bed are rotting and probably won't pass inspection next year; anyone know where I can find a good used bed? I've heard up to 2007 will fit.

Sorry if this is considered hijacking the thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfeboro_Baja For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (10-15-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #20
Misty Blue

Default My F-250

I drive a 3/4 ton F-250 with a 7.3L Turbo diesel engine.

I am 5'3", and weigh in at 130 pounds.
DEAL WITH IT!!!

Misty Blue.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #21
Belmont Resident

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
I drive a 3/4 ton F-250 with a 7.3L Turbo diesel engine.

I am 5'3", and weigh in at 130 pounds.
DEAL WITH IT!!!

Misty Blue.
Granted we got off topic a long time ago.
But what does the fact you’re a female that drives a big truck have to do with the fact that American made trucks tend to have more problems then their foreign counterparts.
We are just stating facts based on personal experiences.
Tell me what are you stating? Oh that would be nothing other than you are a small woman of slightly above average weight…
Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #22
Misty Blue

Default Do you know me???

BR:

I am not the person that you think that I am. Not one bit!

Misty Blue
Old 10-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #23
Belmont Resident

Default never said I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
BR:

I am not the person that you think that I am. Not one bit!

Misty Blue
Nore do you about me, I was just joking and digging back at you.
FYI reguardless of your good luck Ford still makes a lot of junk.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
sa meredith

Default really?

Belmont Res
You state Ford does not stand behind their trucks.
3yr/ 36000 bumper to bumper...5yr/ 60000 engine/trans. (100K diesel)...5 year, unlimited on rust thru (not surface rust, which can be caused by no less than 500 things).
Christ...what more do you want?
Just the fact that they stay with the powertrain for 60K on vehicles they know are not going to be used for carpools, grocery store visits, or trips to Grand Ma's...but rather, used to plow miles and miles of snow, tow thousands upon thousands of pounds, carry construction supplies/debris every single freakin' day, just worked and worked and worked, every day.
I believe my sample size if higher than anyone in this forum, having dealt with no less than well over 2000 (yes, two thousand) Super Duty customers (many repeats included in that number) /transactions over the years...and the OVERWHELMING majority, would never consider annother product (a Toyota for heavy duty construction work????? Yeah, not today!). Very high satisfaction rate, from those with realistic expectations.
Beat the crap out of the truck...hey, you're going to have to spend a few bucks every now and again.
I'd love to have ten bucks for every customer that came back to trade a 5 or 6 year old Super Duty, and said to me, "You have no idea what I put that truck thru...can't believe I'm able to drive it here today."
Maybe it is not the best choice for the guy wanting the biggest, shiniest, prettiest truck sitting in his drive way...to wash and wax on a Saturday afternoon, and announce to the world he really is a tough guy.
But for the true American workman, building this countries houses, highways, bridges, stadiums, skyscrapers, etc....
Ford and GM have that market covered.
Built Ford Tough???? Yeah it is!
Of course, in the case of the 2004 Super Duty, with the 6.0...well, they got that one wrong. What a nightmare.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (10-17-2011), Rolie (10-17-2011), VitaBene (10-18-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
Rolie

Default Built Ford Tough

SA, I agree with you...Ford and GM/Chevy HD trucks will outperform and outlast anything the Japanese manyfacturers can throw at them. They are real workhorses. Did Ford get it wrong with the 6.0? Yup..sure did....but look at their track record and just look what the contractors are driving and what they are doing to them....the Toyotas, Nissans, etc aren't nearly as rugged and just wouldn't hold up to the beatings that the Fords take every day. Are there exceptions? Of course...but in my opinion, anybody who says that Fords are junk probably had a bad experience with one or had a good experience with a Japanese truck. I would bet that they don't beat on it either.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #26
Misty Blue

Default Sorry BR.

I took it the wrong way.

I am told that I am a bit of a jokester also!

All was said in fun!

Misty Blue.

PS. My truck may be rusty but unlike a GM, when I sit in it I can see over the dash board!!! No pillows needed!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #27
Belmont Resident

Default Of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Belmont Res
You state Ford does not stand behind their trucks.
3yr/ 36000 bumper to bumper...5yr/ 60000 engine/trans. (100K diesel)...5 year, unlimited on rust thru (not surface rust, which can be caused by no less than 500 things).
Christ...what more do you want?
Just the fact that they stay with the powertrain for 60K on vehicles they know are not going to be used for carpools, grocery store visits, or trips to Grand Ma's...but rather, used to plow miles and miles of snow, tow thousands upon thousands of pounds, carry construction supplies/debris every single freakin' day, just worked and worked and worked, every day.
I believe my sample size if higher than anyone in this forum, having dealt with no less than well over 2000 (yes, two thousand) Super Duty customers (many repeats included in that number) /transactions over the years...and the OVERWHELMING majority, would never consider annother product (a Toyota for heavy duty construction work????? Yeah, not today!). Very high satisfaction rate, from those with realistic expectations.
Beat the crap out of the truck...hey, you're going to have to spend a few bucks every now and again.
I'd love to have ten bucks for every customer that came back to trade a 5 or 6 year old Super Duty, and said to me, "You have no idea what I put that truck thru...can't believe I'm able to drive it here today."
Maybe it is not the best choice for the guy wanting the biggest, shiniest, prettiest truck sitting in his drive way...to wash and wax on a Saturday afternoon, and announce to the world he really is a tough guy.
But for the true American workman, building this countries houses, highways, bridges, stadiums, skyscrapers, etc....
Ford and GM have that market covered.
Built Ford Tough???? Yeah it is!
Of course, in the case of the 2004 Super Duty, with the 6.0...well, they got that one wrong. What a nightmare.
As you mentioned your in the business. Many Ford repeat customers like me will buy because it’s the only option, not because it’s the best option. So do not beat yourself on the chest stating Fords backing its products is the reason for sales.
Ford trucks are rust buckets. My truck as well as many other contractors who I’ve met are rusting thru at an alarming rate. Why? Poor design as stated by many a body repair shop. Fords are designed so that all the road crap sits in crevices behind the cab corners and wheel wells and rots the metal from the inside out. That is poor design plan and simple.
Ford diesel mechanics do only what is staring them in the face to fix a problem.
I know of several ford owners who would agree to this.
Also since we are on the subject I’m to assume you’re with Meredith Ford. Well your service dept is pitiful. Why? Because ford has these tolerances that are so wide that nothing fails. We were getting 11 mpg on our diesel. And you’re service dept said nothings wrong that’s normal. Well one day the truck died. 2 fuel injectors and a new fuel pump later I’m now getting 15mpg around town.
Funny how both you and Irwin could find NOTHING wrong with the truck and actually got mad at me for suggesting you didn’t attempt to find a problem in the first place.
Oh and you had no answer for why all the sudden the fuel economy went up after the new injectors were installed. Magical. Oh before all this happened I suggested bad injectors but Ford master mechanics said nothing was wrong. Instead of saying we have no way of testing them as I later found out is the case.
Oh and as earlier mentioned why does Ford use ball joints that have no grease fittings?
Because if they had grease fitting they might last longer?
Why did I, because of all the problems I was having purchase a 100k mile warranty at a cost of 3800 and have over 5k in warranty work done after the 36000 mile warranty ended. Fuel injectors, multiple fuel pumps, drive shafts, to mention a few.
So once again tell why Ford is so good at what they do? Cause I’m just not seeing it!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #28
sa meredith

Default ????????

Quote:
As you mentioned your in the business. Many Ford repeat customers like me will buy because it’s the only option, not because it’s the best option. So do not beat yourself on the chest stating Fords backing its products is the reason for sales.
Ford trucks are rust buckets. My truck as well as many other contractors who I’ve met are rusting thru at an alarming rate. Why? Poor design as stated by many a body repair shop. Fords are designed so that all the road crap sits in crevices behind the cab corners and wheel wells and rots the metal from the inside out. That is poor design plan and simple.
Ford diesel mechanics do only what is staring them in the face to fix a problem.
Also since we are on the subject I’m to assume you’re with Meredith Ford. Well your service dept is pitiful. Why? Because ford has these tolerances that are so wide that nothing fails. We were getting 11 mpg on our diesel. And you’re service dept said nothings wrong that’s normal. Well one day the truck died. 2 fuel injectors and a new fuel pump later I’m now getting 15mpg around town.
Funny how both you and Irwin could find NOTHING wrong with the truck and actually got mad at me for suggesting you didn’t attempt to find a problem in the first place.
Oh and you had no answer for why all the sudden the fuel economy went up after the new injectors were installed. Magical. Oh before all this happened I suggested bad injectors but Ford master mechanics said nothing was wrong. Instead of saying we have no way of testing them as I later found out is the case.
Oh and as earlier mentioned why does Ford use ball joints that have no grease fittings?
Why did I, because of all the problems I was having purchase a 100k mile warranty at a cost of 3800 and have over 5k in warranty work done after the 36000 mile warranty ended. Fuel injectors, multiple fuel pumps, drive shafts, to mention a few.
So once again tell why Ford is so good at what they do? Cause I’m just not seeing it!
Hey clown...what's with all the you, you , you...never worked a day in my life in NH.
All in MA, at a dealer with 4, yes 4, Master Certified Techs...all dealers are required to carry at least one...and most only carry one. They come at a high price. We carry 4.
Don't assume anything.
I stated earlier, I feel bad for anyone who got stuck with an early 2004, 6.0 Diesel. Ford should have bought them all back.
Lastly, I NEVER BEAT MYSELF ON THE CHEST, SAYING THE SALES WERE DUE TO FORD STANDING BEHIND THE TRUCKS. Wow...some people read what they want to read...yourself included.
What I ASKED YOU, was what more you wanted. They already do 3/36000 B to B, 5/100 Powertrain, 5/Unlimited rust thru. What more do you want? YOU are the one who said they do not stand behind the product.
Lastly, in your case, Meredith Ford is the last place you want to go with a Super Duty problem They sell very few, and are a small, family, single piont franchise.
In NH, I would say your best bet for a SD Diesel problem that seems elusive is Grappone...they sell HUGE numbers of trucks.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #29
Lakepilot

Quote:
BR if you have a 6.7 diesel you may want to look at this thread. There have been issues with the HPFP and it sounds like your symptoms. Basically the 6.7 is very prone to expensive repairs caused by water in the fuel fuel. So much more then other engines that Ford has issued a policy on not covering those repairs.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #30
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I sold my '95 Tacoma V6 4X4 with 145,000 miles on it to a friend for $5,000. It was a stick shift. That was about a year and a half before the frame rust recall. I never had any problems with the truck.

With the recall, Toyota paid him $8,800 for it. I had paid $16,500 for it new.

BTW: There was absolutely NO rust in the body. NB
That's no surprise believe they were giving back like 110% of it's value (don't quote me on my numbers) for inconvenience sake. My nephew also had his "taken away from him" basically the dealership almost literally wouldn't let him drive his truck home. Believe they gave him like 7,500 for the thing and he could never sell it on his own for anywhere near that. He gave up a paid off truck he liked and put down the 7,500 on a 20,000 Chevy loaning the balance. He wasn't happy.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #31
dpg

All - Buy a Honda!! Love my 2009 Accord V6 - granted it's not a truck. Wanted their loaded Pilot SUV but their way too much cabbage.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #32
dpg

Want dependability, buy a Honda. Just not a lot of Truck choices.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #33
Rolie

Default Honda

I've owned Ford, Chevy and Nissan pickups in the past...i now drive a Honda Ridgeline....nice (almost) pickup. It's handy for taking stuff to the dump....and hauling stuff back and forth to our place in Meredith.
I like it.
It wouldn't last 6 months in the hands of a contractor...it doesn't even pretend to be a work truck.
Best choice for a work truck is Ford or Chevy/GMC. The Fiat trucks (Dodge) seem to be getting somewhat better, but still are no match for either of the above.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #34
dpg

Default Never had any luck

With Ford cars or SUV's.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #35
NoBozo

When the New 381 HP Tundra V8 came out 3 years or so back, I went to have a look. I asked the salesman about putting a "Fifth Wheel" trailer hitch in the bed. The guy didn't hesitate for a second to answer: "NOPE: Can't do it....chassis isn't built to take it". You can tow 10,000 pounds with it but not a fifth wheel.

I've been a Toyota owner since 1974. Two ('79) Hondas after the first Toyota..then back to Toyota ever since. Two Tacomas since 1995. Toyota trucks are "Nice" reliable trucks, but NOT "Work Trucks". NB
Old 10-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #36
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
When the New 381 HP Tundra V8 came out 3 years or so back, I went to have a look. I asked the salesman about putting a "Fifth Wheel" trailer hitch in the bed. The guy didn't hesitate for a second to answer: "NOPE: Can't do it....chassis isn't built to take it". You can tow 10,000 pounds with it but not a fifth wheel.

I've been a Toyota owner since 1974. Two ('79) Hondas after the first Toyota..then back to Toyota ever since. Two Tacomas since 1995. Toyota trucks are "Nice" reliable trucks, but NOT "Work Trucks". NB
The issue with the 5th wheel is the hitch weight. A 5th wheel trailer typically has 20% hitch weight. Most 5th wheel trailers are 10000 pounds or more which would result in a ton over the rear wheels. That is a lot for a 1/2 ton pickup.

A regular bumper (tag) pull trailer should be around 10%.

NB, I am not telling you anything you don't know but the 381 HP are not going to tug your trailer, the torque is. That is the nice thing about diesels.

Last edited by VitaBene; 10-19-2011 at 04:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #37
sa meredith

Default Oh my God

Wow...people are just strange creatures. Call them on something, and rather than answer, they babble away, thinking misdirection is something they can hide behind.
Belmont Res stated Ford does not stand behind their vehicle. I ask what he expects beyond the current warranties...which are quite fair. He never answers...but wrongly assumes I work at a place he has done business.
And proceeds to use the term "your" (as in "my place of business") 5 times in his reply...and speaks condescendingly about 2 local Ford dealerships. The whole time, telling me it is "your place".
Then, after correcting him, I re ask the question.
This time folks...you'll love this...he assumes that because I work in MA, I live there..and sends me a PM, calling me MASSH***, and tells me not to let the toll booth hit me in the ass on the way out. Although both my primary and summer homes are in NH.
And never answers what was a sincere and honest question.
Funny what people do when backed into a corner.
Sort like when you are a kid, and can't think of a comeback...so you say..."yeah, well you're a poopy head".
Anyway....too funny.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (10-22-2011), Irrigation Guy (10-18-2011), Shreddy (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #38
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
This time folks...you'll love this...he assumes that because I work in MA, I live there..and sends me a PM, calling me MASSH***, and tells me not to let the toll booth hit me in the ass on the way out.
That is a little ridiculous.
Closed Thread