Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
JL Girl

Default Tennessee Lady Vols BB Fans in Lakes Reg?

I just finished watching (and scarcely daring to breathe during it) my beloved Tennessee Lady Vols Basketball team beat Texas A&M on their way to the Final Four, which I am lucky enough to have tickets to (and the Championship Game) in Tampa (and also the chance to attend autograph sessions and watch practices.) I got to wondering if any of you on the Forum are Lady Vols fans too.

Last year, the afternoon before they won their 7th National Championship, I ran into a fan in Meredith with a Lady Vols sweatshirt on as I came out of the Village Perk - thought it was a small world - and we had great fun talking about them. Thus, I thought I would ask you all. My heart went to my throat tonight when Candace Parker, Tennessee's best player, (and considered by most to be the best player in women's basketball today in the nation) dislocated her shoulder twice and still came back in, all strapped up, and scored more points!

When the snow is piled 8 feet up in the Lakes Region, and it's 40 mph winds, and below zero temps outside, nothing like watching a Lady Vols game on TV to warm oneself up! Then, to have the thrill of watching in person the tournament games, in nice, sunny, snow-free Tampa - am I lucky or what?!!!

Go, Lady Vols!
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Lake Fan

Helllo JL,

Big UCONN Ladies BB fan here. They too had a rough game last night against Rutgers but were able to grind out a win. A Tennessee/UCONN final could be in the works. That would be a great matchup.

Candace Parker is pretty good, but have you seen Maya Moore play? She's awesome...and only a freshman. She's rumored to be the cause of the friction between Pat Summit and Geno Auriemma. Have fun at the finals - should be fun.
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
TimmyG

Thumbs down Uconn

Sorry. UCONN Rules.
TimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
JTA

Default before it's too late ....

JL Girl .... I must assume that you have some reason for being a Tennessee fan. Are you a grad, or are you from Tennessee? If not, I would suggest that you begin routing for UCONN before it's too late.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Go Vols!

I am a big VOLS fan, for both men’s football and women’s basketball. Rocky Top is on my top ten list. (My daughter and son-in-law are UT alum.) I would love to see a UT/UCONN final. Although I grew up in Connecticut not to far from Storrs, I would be wearing orange for that game. You might see me in Meredith this summer; I will be the person with the UT football shirt on. Go VOLS!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
Sorry. UCONN Rules.
I agree with you Timmy G. Your post shows UCONN with big thumbs down beside it. Couldn't have said it better myself!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Lady VOLS - Win NCAA Title

The Lady VOLS won 64-48 over Stanford to "cruise" to another NCAA title. Tennessee came at Stanford from every spot on the floor, pressuring the ball and making it hard to get the ball inbounds or past midcourt. GO VOLS!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
MaryS

Thumbs up UCONN Lady HUSKIES

UCONN ladies, are amazing. they had another wonderful season...It wasn't their time this year...Go HUSKIES!!!

On the men's side UCONN improved this season, but what a hoot, the Providence College Friars beat them x2!!!!.....(daughter goes to Providence so team loyalty can be tricky!)
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
JL Girl

I am remiss in not putting up a victorious message when I came back from the Final Four in Tampa but got tied up on appointments, etc. A big thanks to moose tracks for doing the job! And, no, JTA, I am not a Tennessee grad but had watched Coach Summitt coach at the '84 Olympics when the USA Women's Basketball Team won gold (I liked her steely stare!), then got even more interested when a Tennessee game was on TV. I've faithfully watched the Lady Vols ever since and also read both of Pat Summitt's books "Reach for the Summitt" and "Raise the Roof" - both great!

Anyway, I have to tell you watching the Final Four and Championship games in person was fabulous. There was literally a sea of orange in there, and I sang "Rocky Top" so many times, my throat was hoarse! The Final Four games (Stanford versus UConn and Tennessee versus LSU) were interesting - all 4 teams struggled at times - not sure why. Didn't get an autograph at the session before the games because there was only a half hour and the lines were huge. Did get to see the Vols' practice session in the afternoon, and to hang over a railing and see the team up close and personal as they walked back into their team room.

The night of the championship game between Tennessee and LSU was electric and the fans were so supportive. Tennessee was on fire from the first moment out and were unrelenting - I loved it! All around the arena was a lighted electronic sign that showed player's faces and their names, the teams in the whole tournament, and the saying "And then there were four" on the night of the Final Four, and "And then there were two" the night of the championship, and finally "And then there was Tennessee". At the end, there was a sea of orange paper confetti. While we were in the nosebleed seats, I had extra powerful binoculars with me and could see right into the huddles and player's faces. The overhead four sided-jumbotron helped too and actually you could see the floor anyway with just your eyes! The worse moment of course was when Vicki Baugh, Tennessee frehsman, tore her ACL near the end of the game.

Next year, a 3-peat?!!! This would be a 3-peat twice for the LadyVols! Pat Summitt is only 17 games away from winning 1,000, even though now she already has won the most ever, man or woman in college basketball. Go, Lady Vols!
Old 04-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Don't even like basketball.......but must admit that Pat Summit is incredible......only time I ever watch a game is when I'm channel surfing and stumble onto the lady vols.They are also much better looking than the Rutgers girls....Don Imus....are you listening?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
jerseyonbear

Default Shame Shame

You have to give Vivian a lot of credit for the class that she showed with her girls and Don Imus. Sorry all being a New Brunswick girl and from a Rutgers family I have to continue to say go RU
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
JL Girl

jerseyonbear, I agree with you about Coach Stringer and last year's mess with Don Imus - Pat Summitt is a close personal friend of hers as well and was the first one to call her after that occurred. Coach Stringer has had a tough personal life as well and Pat was there for her throughout her many tragedies. Another coach with a lot of class was Jody Conradt of Texas, also friends with Pat and Vivian. Speaking of Pat, in the tournament game against Oral Roberts when their key player went down and was injured during the first minutes of play, Pat went and talked to the coach, the team, and the injured player after the game.

Go, Lady Vols!