Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
cjay

Default Winter closing charges

We're in the process of choosing a plumber to close our home for winter and open it in the spring. We intend to keep the heat running at low temp (we've had antifreeze added to the pipes) and need the plumber to drain the household water that’s pumped from a dug well.

Besides the kitchen sink we have 1 1/2 baths, a dishwasher and washer in our two story lakeside home.

One estimate was $200 - $250 to close and $250 - $300 to open. Does anyone know if this is about average or should we seek other estimates?

Appreciate any help on this, Chris
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
phoenix

we use Ferrante in Moultonboro and he has always done a good job
Old 05-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Wawbeek

Default Wtnter Closing

We use Brookside Plumbing in Wolfeboro. No way near as costly as you were quoted. Also, we have a two story house with bath and a half.
Wawbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
cjay

Default Wtnter Closing

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Moultonboro and Wolfeboro are a little far from me but I'm sure other readers will take note of your recommendations.

I went ahead and checked with some neighbors and they gave me the name of a good plumber who will do the job at a much more reasonable cost - Made some new friends while at it.
Chris
Old 05-19-2005, 09:04 AM   #5
upnorth

Ferrante Plumbing! (Now part of Ben Franklin)

After getting a very brief overview from the former owner of our house, I attempted to close down the house in October with the intention of opening it up again for Christmas week so we can ski. Well, as you can imagine, we got there on Sunday night, Dec. 26 and when I went to turn on the water, I noticed one of the pipes had split and a hunk of ice was hanging from it. We went the night without water and called a bunch of plumbers the next morning. Ferrante actually answered the phone (left messages with others). We called at around 8 AM and they said they would be there by 8:30. I was still in my PJ's when they showed up at 8:15! I couldn't beleive it.

They fixed us up real fast and I had them come back later in the week to shut it down at a no worry cost of $149.

They also fired us up last week and when we noticed a water pressure problem on the weekend, I called on Monday and they got right out to take care of it (clogged water filter) at no charge.

They are my plumber!
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
cjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth
Ferrante Plumbing! (Now part of Ben Franklin)

Well, as you can imagine, we got there on Sunday night, Dec. 26 and when I went to turn on the water, I noticed one of the pipes had split and a hunk of ice was hanging from it.
You're very fortunate you got there before the thaw, we weren’t so lucky. The alarm went off several times before the police realized it wasn't a break in but probably a burst pipe because the ground outside our home was water-logged.
After all the work and money that’s been put in to fix the damage it’s easy to pay the first price that comes along to prevent this from happening again. I’m glad I had these boards to turn to before taking up that first quote.
Chris in Belmont
Old 05-20-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
Charlie T

I use my house year round. BUT when it is unattended I always shut the pump off. That way if I am away and a pipe should freeze or spring a leak the water damage will be minimal.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote