Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
JL Girl

Default Which roads have the worst frost heaves?

I ask this question on the Forum every year or so. Thought this year's reached a new low (or is it high?!!) I have 4 questions for you:

1. Which roads have the worst frost heaves, valleys, pot holes and torn-up- centers-of-the-roads? My personal answer is the bottom 1/4 of the Moultonborough Neck Road (some ways after Jojo's and before Trexler's) and Long Island Road. I've noticed everyone doing what I do - traveling on the far right of the road and on the pathway. You can't do any more than 20 mph or else, although there are always jerks who do (and do they bounce up in the air or what?!!! So glad they care about their car or truck). My mechanic said he drives over these roads and has never seen them this bad and he has a truck (better suspension than a car?)
2. Which of the 4 conditions above do you hate the worst? I personally fear the unepxectedly deeper valleys right after the heaves.
3. Has anybody noticed the NH DOT trucks doing cold patch? They just did a bunch on this bad section I mentioned but there's no rhyme or reason as to why they did certain valleys and not others - even to one immediately adjacent to the "done" one - and it's the same heighth or depth! I had heard that they stick a ruler down into the "valley" and if it doesn't meet the minimum to have cold patch, it doesn't get it.
4. Is it me or has (within the past couple of days) there been a slight improvement in the roads such that the road is sinking back into its pre-winter state?

One good thing about the frost heaves, etc. and having to go slower is that you are easily able to spot the deer (especially at the top of Long Island Road first hill after the Town Beach) that seem to like hanging around in the road. One day around 4:30 pm, I came across 4 deer in the road - they stood and watched me, then 2 ran to the left and 2 to the right. Something told me not to move forward - yup, sure enough, the ones on the left ran across to the right hand side of the road and the other 2 on the right ran to the left side. Again, I didn't move. Yup, the ones on the right ran over to the left. I waited a few minutes then started up very slowly. I looked into the trees when I went by, and there they all were, each standing behind a tree with only their heads peeking around the tree. Thought of Robert DeNiro: "Hey, you looking at me?!!!!"
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
DickR

I agree with you on the lower neck road condition. I try to avoid the potholes and worst of the bumps. They are quite effective as speed bumps. As far as the deer hanging around the road at the top of the road up from the beach, earlier this winter I had one run into the side of the car on me right up there. I never saw him until I heard the thump. He made a small dent, and it must have given him an Excedrin headache too. He ran off; no body to report. I can't figure out why there are so many deer on LI. If all deer are so stupid as to run across the street smack into a moving car all lit up for night driving, why hasn't the Darwin effect limited their numbers?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
WakeboardMom

On the weekends I drive from the Long Island Bridge to Loon Mountain via Center Harbor...and I'll tell ya, there are stretches of 25B that are waaaay worse than that stretch of the Neck Road that was mentioned. Holy mackerel, but that road has some frost heaves!!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Argie's Wife

Route 109 from Wolfeboro to Sanbornville....

Route 11 from Alton to Gilford/Laconia line....

Route 28 from Alton to Barnstead - yikes.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
JL Girl

I forgot to mention that I wondered about poor Pepper driving those roads to Rochester (Route 11A, 11B, and 16) especially after that horrific night in the storm - wonder if our dear Pepper encounters frost heaves, etc. My brother said that the heaves before Alton are terrible whichwould be 11B after 11A joins it.
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Pepper

Default She does!

Yessiree I do encounter those frost heaves, and they're horrendous this year! All for struts on my car are now shot, and my exhaust is much worse for the wear as well. It got so bad on Rt11 that I stopped going that way about six weeks ago, and now I travel over the mountain on 11A instead. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's nowhere near the nightmare down on 11.

You are correct in your assessment that they've begun to settle down! Hopefully the coming rains will not cause washouts where the heaves are, and after the rain goes, the heaves should be almost completely diminished. Yay!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Merrymeeting

Anyone try driving the access roads to Steele Hill Resort? We visited some friends who stayed there recently.

Whoowh!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

Absolute worst is 25B going out of Centr Harbor towards Rt 3 at top of hill.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #9
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Absolute worst is 25B going out of Centr Harbor towards Rt 3 at top of hill.
I agree with you!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
jmen24

Route 129 in Loudon, the entire length from 106 to 107 in Gilmanton.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
riverat

Rt11 Ames Farm area and Rt11 in the area of Governors Island rd. Almost have to come to a crawl to get through without destroying suspension. What gets me is, As much as I have an urge to go for a ride on my motorcycle (like many I saw lately) I cannot imagine riding these roads on one
Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
Grant

Default 175

Rte. 175 - from Plymouth State to Little Squam (25) was like Baghdad in late February.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
donnamatrix

Default Worst Road is 171

I live off 109 in Moultonboro, which has become a washboard, and a bit tricky. However, Route 171 going from Rt 109 over to Ossipee (where it runs into Rt 28) is the worst road I have ever seen. In daylight it's horrific, I cannot imagine trying to navigate in the dark. It's what you imagine the road to Baghdad must be like.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
AC2717

Hands down Meredith Center Rd from from Rt106 to Meredith Center to 104.

But even still the condition of that road is terrible to begin with I think they keep it that way on purpose to keep the traffic down

I would even cast my vote for Rt 113 form Tamworth Center to Rt 16
Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
tgresla

Default rte 109

driving north out of Wolfeboro did you ever notice the heaves are not that bad for the first 4 miles till you reach the Tuftonboro line where they definitely get worse. Must be different construction methods by each town for the same road.
tgresla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Stim-u-less money wasted??

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
I live off 109 in Moultonboro, which has become a washboard, and a bit tricky. However, Route 171 going from Rt 109 over to Ossipee (where it runs into Rt 28) is the worst road I have ever seen. In daylight it's horrific, I cannot imagine trying to navigate in the dark. It's what you imagine the road to Baghdad must be like.
Donna,

Remember how smooth 109 was from Moultonboro to Wolfeboro last summer. That inch and a half of "HOT TOP" they put down really held-up.

You are right, 171 is un-drivable.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
donnamatrix

Default I do remember!

Winnocturn: I do remember the short span of time that we could drive from our house in Suissevale to Wolfeboro and not ruin the struts on the car. But, listen to this: one of the folks I work with was driving down Bean Rd today, he bottomed out, tore open his oil pan ... AAA came to the office and towed his car to the shop! And Bean Road is NOTHING compared to Route 171. I (used to) like going over 171 to Ocean State Job Lot and the Black Bear Cafe on Route 16 (great little gem) ... but not now. Don't think the spring thaw will remedy it either. Why can't NH pave or repair roads correctly??? Sheesh.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #18
offmycloud

If you like frost heaves check out 109A from Melvin Village to Wolfeboro.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

And I'll say it again. RT109 is designated as a scenic byway. Why the State does not get grant money for this road is beyond me. It is heavily used in the summer as it is the only road around the backside of the lake. The antique cars have a rough time on the section in Melvin Village, and on bike week I hear numerous complaints about using this road as a tour route. Ya have to wonder why numbers are down for Bike week. I think it is sad to think people do not come up and visit because the roads are getting so bad. I guess the Governor thinks New Hampshire's Northern border is just north of Concord.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote