Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Toilet leak.. HELP!

I noticed a water stain in my kitchen ceiling recently, but today has spread.
Directly above the ceiling is a bathroom.

I noticed that to the back of the toilet the floor tile is stained and damp, but not wet. I suspect the toilet wax gasket is the culprit. No hoses are leaking and the tile floor itself is dry.

I've replace dozens of toilets over the years, and always replaced wax gasket ring with new. Current toilet is original 20 yrs old, standard type bathroom version, nothing fancy. If it is the wax gasket ring, should I replace with 'standard' ring or 'jumbo' ring? What are the recommendations for use of each type?

FYI, having a plumber coming onsite to evaluate, but I may do the job myself,
since I'm familiar with the process. Still TBD, if he can do the job quick & reasonable the job is his !

Thanks for your feedback.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
jbolty

I had a toilet that was always leaking because the floor was uneven and no matter what I tried the bowl rocked a little and broke the seal. I eventually re-tiled the floor but in the meantime I used one of these rubber seals and it held for a number of years.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Sani-Seal...SABEgKJ3fD_BwE

similar type used in RVs, because of the movement
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default washers

Check the rubber washers around the bolts that bolt the tank to the seat. I've seen leaks there when even a professional plumber miss it! Simple fix. Turn off the water supply, drain the tank, unscrew the bolts and replace the gaskets. They have a kit that includes new nuts and bolts as well as gaskets.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
AC2717

if gasket
go with jumbo always
also the flange itself could be rotted out
Old 10-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I had a toilet that was always leaking because the floor was uneven and no matter what I tried the bowl rocked a little and broke the seal. I eventually re-tiled the floor but in the meantime I used one of these rubber seals and it held for a number of years.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Sani-Seal...SABEgKJ3fD_BwE

similar type used in RVs, because of the movement
?

OK, Wax ring or Waxless ?
Pros & Cons ? (specific to my issue)
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
?

OK, Wax ring or Waxless ?
Pros & Cons ? (specific to my issue)
I'm a fan of the waxless, it's more forgiving of a wobbly toilet, bad installation or a rusted flange. Installing a toilet with a wax ring is easy, and easy to screw it up. Any movement at all after it's pushed down will generally break the seal and there is no way to fix it without starting over.

and as mentioned above. check for an upper tank leak first.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
Bear Islander

I tried to use a waxless this summer. It was in two pieces. A ring and a spacer. The ring alone was not thick enough and with the spacer it was to thick. The options were to little or two much, so I went back to a wax seal.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:03 AM   #8
dpg

If your bothering to have a plumber come out just have them fix it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:28 AM   #9
Merrymeeting

I'm guessing you'll need to replace more than a wax ring. Often, by the time you set water, the problem has been going on for some time, resulting in rotted flooring. I wouldn't be surprised if, once you remove the toilet, you see more work is needed to repair the area around the base.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
If your bothering to have a plumber come out just have them fix it.
I agree. If you call a plumber to come out and diagnose the problem, then tell him you will take care of it yourself, you are wasting his time. Additionally, the next time you have a problem that may or may not be within your capabilities and call him, he will likely take his time getting back to you, if ever. Our local tradesmen have enough to do without having their time wasted. You will already be paying him to come out and he may be able to fix it in one visit.

JMHO

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 10-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #11
rsmlp

Default seriously?

call a professional
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #12
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I agree. If you call a plumber to come out and diagnose the problem, then tell him you will take care of it yourself, you are wasting his time. Additionally, the next time you have a problem that may or may not be within your capabilities and call him, he will likely take his time getting back to you, if ever. Our local tradesmen have enough to do without having their time wasted. You will already be paying him to come out and he may be able to fix it in one visit.
Exactly! This is why I threw down the $80 in my particular situation. I knew he had to do work to diagnose the problem and that was certainly not within the realm of what a "free estimate" would or should be. So I would have already been paying for his professional opinion, lets just do it now, one time. I am sure it was cheaper (for me) to just do it.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #13
tummyman

I bought this to fix a bad toilet installation by a plumber. After many years of adding bigger wax rings, etc. I decided to try this product. Well, it is OUTSTANDING. Works terrific. Took about 15 minutes to fix the toilet...wobbled, leaked, etc. Problem 100% solved. I am sold on it !!!

OATEY 43400 Set-Rite Toilet Flange Extension Kit, 1/4" - 1-5/8", Red, Yellow

Check out this video....explains everything !
Set-Rite Toilet Flange Extender Installation - YouTube
Video for OATEY 43400 Set-Rite Toilet Flange Extension Kit, 1/4" - 1-5/8", Red, Yellow▶ 5:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hutLTIsm8o
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:32 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

If you have a rocking toilet because of an uneven floor, its easy to fix. I would put a new wax ring and use these wedges. I tiled my first floor many moons ago in a bathroom and I found out I needed more practice. It was uneven. These wedges worked great and are hidden after caulking.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #15
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Toilet Replacement

About four years ago I replaced an old, low-sitting, 5 gal. flusher with a higher-sitting 1.6 gal. flusher. When I got it apart, things looked pretty clean, all things considered. The problem that arose was that the metal ring (that holds the bolts) had a 5 inch id., which was needed to fit over the pipe. I couldn't find a replacement as it seemed everything available is 4 inch id. As gross as it may sound, the old metal ring was barely rusted, and barely bent. I straightened it out, thoroughly cleaned it, and gave it several coats of Rustoleum primer and finish paint.

Has anyone come across this problem? Believe me, I reused the original ring, because NO ONE could sell me one like it!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #16
Woody38

I had a problem with a leaking flush once and the flange needed repair. Fortunately my plumber was able to do the trick. He heated up some lead in his truck and made the repair, saying that the young plumbers would not know how to do the job. He was a good find. Got him when I renovated a bathroom and needed a plumber to do the installation of the new sink, flush and shower. Also saved me much money. All the plumbers I called wanted $800 for each fixture.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #17
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I noticed a water stain in my kitchen ceiling recently, but today has spread.
Directly above the ceiling is a bathroom.

I noticed that to the back of the toilet the floor tile is stained and damp, but not wet. I suspect the toilet wax gasket is the culprit. No hoses are leaking and the tile floor itself is dry.

I've replace dozens of toilets over the years, and always replaced wax gasket ring with new. Current toilet is original 20 yrs old, standard type bathroom version, nothing fancy. If it is the wax gasket ring, should I replace with 'standard' ring or 'jumbo' ring? What are the recommendations for use of each type?

FYI, having a plumber coming onsite to evaluate, but I may do the job myself,
since I'm familiar with the process. Still TBD, if he can do the job quick & reasonable the job is his !

Thanks for your feedback.
If the toilet is 20 years old it should be replaced regardless if it's just the wax ring. But buy a quality toilet like Toto or Kohler. I put in Toto at my home in Ma but at my camp I just went to HD and bought Kohler which are slightly cheaper. I've had problems with American Standard so I will never buy another one.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #18
Outdoorsman

I had a plumber come by a couple months ago for a similar situation, a leak in the basement that was coming from the bathroom upstairs. It turned out to be a toilet leak. $80 including parts. Well worth it to know it was fixed and fixed right.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote