Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
Ross_t

Default Boat slips

Not sure where to post this, but I'm toying with the idea of buying a boat slip. Looking for feedback on whether this is a good idea or not. Fees above the purchase price? Good area, not so good areas, etc. What's your experience? Bad investment?

Thanks
Ross_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
NH_boater

If you are think in terms of quality of boating experience or leaving it to the kids, it could be a good decision. It terms of purely a 'financial investment', I think it is probably a very poor one for most people.

You can rent a slip for a couple decades for the same financial outlay of a purchase. If you rented and invested the cash you would otherwise invest into a buying a slip into a S&P index fund or similar performer, my bet is you are way ahead of the guy who bought a slip.

Some might claim it was a great investment for them because of what their slip is worth today. They would need to compare what an equal investment in the right financial vehicle would also be worth today before they declare victory.

The answer lies in your intentions; experience and convenience or financial performance. Just my opinion.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Search

Do a quick forum search. This topic has been discussed at length, with many good arguments pro and con.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_t View Post
Not sure where to post this, but I'm toying with the idea of buying a boat slip. Looking for feedback on whether this is a good idea or not. Fees above the purchase price? Good area, not so good areas, etc. What's your experience? Bad investment?

Thanks
We looked at buying but just couldn't make the numbers work. Much like NH_Boater has stated, we came to the conclusion we would be better off investing the $50,000.00 - $70,000.00 and use the proceeds from the investment to put towards a yearly rental. Thus far, it has worked out well.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 07-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
pjard

This is a cut n' paste from another thread....

In case anyone is interested, slip F-6 sold today at auction for $37,000.00 I keep thinking about buying a slip but even at $37K it's still better to rent. Here's my logic....cost of money for $37K is $1,500, Taxes to Gilford $1,200, Association Fees $1,500...total cost to own is $4,200. Rents at MVYC including winter storage are $2,800 to $4,000....cheaper to rent! Someone please find the flaw in my logic...really.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
This is a cut n' paste from another thread....

In case anyone is interested, slip F-6 sold today at auction for $37,000.00 I keep thinking about buying a slip but even at $37K it's still better to rent. Here's my logic....cost of money for $37K is $1,500, Taxes to Gilford $1,200, Association Fees $1,500...total cost to own is $4,200. Rents at MVYC including winter storage are $2,800 to $4,000....cheaper to rent! Someone please find the flaw in my logic...really.
The only logic against your example would be that in 10-15 years if you decide to sell it you can actually get something back.
Monies paid in rentals are gone. It is my understanding that there are also clubs with fees far less than $1500.

$37k is pretty cheap for a slip.
I ran the numbers in the past on $50-60k slips and they were obviously further from making sense which is why I chose against buying.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts
Default Tax deductions

The taxes and the interest are deductible. The appreciation is also not figured into your calculations. I own a slip at MVYC, although I don't use it and rent it out now, I do not plan to sell it.

I bought it in 1996 and it is worth more than double what I paid for it.

In addition to theappreciation and tax deductions you will have the security of knowing where your boat will be every year and you will have some influence about how your yacht club is run.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
chasedawg

Default Boat slips

Quote:

Thanks
Great investment! But depends where you buy. We bought our slip and our taxes and fees are less than $500 per year. That's it. No rental fees. Yet our slip value as more than doubled.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
Ross_t

Default Thanks

A good investment to me would be 1) have some fun, get more use out of my boat, 2) in 10 years or so sell it without too much hassle and see some appreciation in value.
But I guess my question should have been: is slip ownership problematic with neighbor issues? Club issues? politics? reasonable club rules?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #10
codeman671

Quote:
A good investment to me would be 1) have some fun, get more use out of my boat, 2) in 10 years or so sell it without too much hassle and see some appreciation in value.
But I guess my question should have been: is slip ownership problematic with neighbor issues? Club issues? politics? reasonable club rules?
What part of the lake are you looking to be on and any specific clubs?

I would not count on appreciation unless you are really stealing something.
Many people have lost their shirts on slips in the last 10 years.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post

Agreed. When interest rates rise slips have the potential to get hurt badly, as do most assets. That being said, at $37,000 with someone who is committed to the area and enjoys boating the numbers probably start to make sense.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Ross_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post

Meredith would be best, but open to any area.

After some checking I see renting for a season might be the way to go. (unless a really good purchase deal surfaces.)

Thanks
Ross