Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Exclamation Time Warner to Replace NECN with Al Jazeera

According to the Portland Press Herald, Time Warner will replace New England Cable News with Al Jazeera at the end of December. http://www.pressherald.com/news/Al-J...-in-Maine.html They claim that there is no connection between the decision to drop NECN and add Al Jazeera.

Because of the TV market territory laws, which were passed years ago to protect the financial interests of the TV stations, we get very little Boston news here in Moultonborough, even though we are more closely connected to Boston than to Portland. Losing NECN will cut us off almost completely.

If you live in a town that has Time Warner, it is up to you if you want to stop this from happening. Contact your town offices and ask to speak with the person who works with Time Warner in your town, and send them email expressing your unhappiness with this change. Ask them to keep you informed about their efforts to change Time Warner's decision, so that you can be sure they are actually doing something. The more email they get about this the more likely they are to make a sincere effort to change Time Warner's mind.

I'm in Moultonborough, and have already spoken to Carter Terenzini, who is the Town Administrator. He was unaware of Time Warner's decision when I called him this morning. I have forwarded him the above link. He also said that the town had virtually no influence with Time Warner, and seemed to me to be saying that it was a hopeless task. He did promise to contact Time Warner.

If you live in Moultonborough, you can contact Carter Terenzini by telephone at 603-476-2347. His Email address is cterenzini@moultonboroughnh.gov

There is also a poll being taken by the Press Herald as part of their online article at http://www.pressherald.com/news/Time...-Jazeera_.html You can vote for NECN or Al Jazeera. So far, its 83% to 17% in favor of NECN

My wife just posted our opposition to this change on Time Warner's Facebook page. You can too, although you have to "like" the page before you can see the comments. Here's their Facebook address if you'd like to post your own comment... https://www.facebook.com/twc

If you are in Ossipee or Conway. or any other town that uses Time Warner, call your town officials and let them know how you feel. I know December is a busy month, but if you don't speak up, NECN will be gone.

Unless, of course, you feel that Al Jazeera will give us better local news coverage than New England Cable News?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

I just upgraded my TW service at my skihouse in Franconia to HD. This might explain why I didn't have NECN available in HD.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Town Officers

I would like to see if your Town officers will do anything about the services offered by Time Warner. I do know a huge number of residents complained about the lack of service regarding Metrocast TV as well as Internet. Metrocast is still here!

Growing up in this area, I miss the quality programs offered by the Portland and VT channels. Unfortunately Belknap County is considered Boston market. I'm not a least bit interested in Mass politics and WMUR programming is the bottom of the barrel.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

It would surprise me if the town officials had any influence with the cable company. If anything would work (and that's wishful thinking), it would be to send your comments directly to the FCC, and CC the general manager of TWC in Portland.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
It would surprise me if the town officials had any influence with the cable company. If anything would work (and that's wishful thinking), it would be to send your comments directly to the FCC, and CC the general manager of TWC in Portland.
I don't think the towns have any influence either. We had surveys to fill out before our town renewed with the cable company and I don't think anybody paid any attention to them. Once the town has signed, the companies do what they want I think.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Why wouldn't you want Al Jazeera? He asks with a wink......
Thank God (Not Allahahaha) for DirecTV.....
Old 12-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
IslandRadio

Unfortunately, the cable act gives the cable companies almost unlimited latitude in programming, operations, and in most other areas. The Town can go after the cable company for breach of the license agreement, but in general programming is off the table in such agreements.

It's a the cable act is not a good law, at least in my opinion.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Time Warner's Response

My wife commented on their decision on their Facebook page, and this was Time Warner's reply....

We continually review our programming lineup to ensure that we’re delivering what our customers want to watch. That means we occasionally add or drop channels. We do not believe NECN represents a good value for all of our New England customers. When we review programming for value we consider several factors, including cost, viewership and unique content. We appreciate your feedback, and we want to carry the programming that you want to watch. Visit our website at http://twc.com
to submit your interest in NECN to our programming team. -Paul

We do not believe NECN (New England Cable News) represents a good value for all of our New England customers? I'd sure like to know how Al Jazeera would be a better value!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Prop-B-Gone For This Useful Post:
Mooseyme (12-14-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
tummyman

Stupid move by a bush league company. First, call Time Warner and really complain loud and clear. Second cancel your entire service and move to other providers ASAP. If their bottom line gets hit, maybe they will listen. This is our only way to send a message. If they cut my NECN, I will cut them. Simple....democracy in action. But I refuse to look at or even sponsor Al-Jazeera with my cable money. This is still our country....

Last edited by tummyman; 12-11-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Typing error
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
LakeSnake (12-12-2013), Reilly (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,001 Times in 915 Posts

NECN is still on Metrocast, I just checked. However I can't recall the last time that I looked at NECN as it is primarily south of the border Boston area news.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Stupid move by a bush league company. First, call Time Warner and really complain loud and clear. Second cancel your entire service and move to other providers ASAP. If their bottom line gets hit, maybe they will listen. This is our only way to send a message. If they cut my NECN, I will cut them. Simple....democracy in action. But I refuse to look at or even sponsor Al-Jazeera with my cable money. This is still our country....
But there is no other cable. They have a monopoly. Where do we go?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
Justenuff

Default Cut the Cord

I did, never felt better than to dump the cable company.
Get most of my daily news updates on the web.
Kept my internet connection, though. Still need that.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
Unfortunately, the cable act gives the cable companies almost unlimited latitude in programming, operations, and in most other areas. The Town can go after the cable company for breach of the license agreement, but in general programming is off the table in such agreements.

It's a the cable act is not a good law, at least in my opinion.
I've never understood the "logic" of limiting each town to one, and only one, cable system. Why not let them compete?

I know that building the infrastructure was one of the arguments. But as with the electric and phone companies, it's time to open up the competition.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
tis (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
Not to Worry

Default Wow!

Hard to believe that this is true!

Why do I want to watch Al Jazzera??
Old 12-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
But there is no other cable. They have a monopoly. Where do we go?
Direct TV, Dish TV.....

You may still wish to keep the cable for internet..... but for TV viewing there are other sources.. They provide internet as well.... but that service is still best left to the land lines I believe.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #16
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Direct TV, Dish TV.....

You may still wish to keep the cable for internet..... but for TV viewing there are other sources.. They provide internet as well.... but that service is still best left to the land lines I believe.
We dumped TW tv last year. Even their employees told us their programming stinks. There are always choices. We went to Directv and are much happier.
Time Warner could care less what their customers want. Al Jazeera, honestly?!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
RANGER CANOE CO (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Direct TV, Dish TV.....

But you have to be a techie to get them don't you? And I am not.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
dave603

Default Tis

You don't need to be a techie, Direct TV and Dish both will come and install everything.
You DO need to have a clear shot south for them to pick up the Satellite signal though. And I don't know if they will come out to an island location.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
patman

TW has the internet-only thing covered too...they just raised their prices. I suspect that's to make up for folks dropping cable and switching to streaming services.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
You don't need to be a techie, Direct TV and Dish both will come and install everything.
You DO need to have a clear shot south for them to pick up the Satellite signal though. And I don't know if they will come out to an island location.
We have Directv on our island, also. We were able to roll it into our residential service on the mainland. The installer was great, accommodating and knowledgeable.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
PaugusBayFireFighter

I have Direct TV and they don't offer NECN. Personally I don't miss NECN, they had become useless to me with the ability to check any news or weather instantly from my phone or tablet. NECN really has declined over the past few years. Al Jazeera has some good documentaries and shows "on demand".
Here's what I do with the stations I don't like or watch. I set up my custom channel guide and the channels I don't like are hidden forever. If you don't like Al Jazeera, omit it from your channel line up. I don't watch spanish speaking or religious programming so I simply remove those channels from my channel guide. I don't like paying for those stations either, but sometimes you have no choice if they are part of a package.

Last edited by PaugusBayFireFighter; 12-12-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
Winnilifer

Default TW and Al-Jezeera

Great news from Baghdad Bob------
Old 12-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
SIKSUKR

Put me in the "I could care less about Al J network". As far as this weather nut is concerned, NECN is the best tv broadcast for weather. Definitely would miss it.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
jrc

As a recent refugee from the cable industry, I could tell you some stories.

But regarding channel availability, as you would expect it's a money issue. Somehow the change is expected to put more money in TWC's pocket.

There are several paths for money to change hands in these deals, but the common denominator is viewers. If you have a cable box, TWC knows what you are watching. Those numbers drive revenue. So the best way to drive a channel off their network, don't watch it.

Some obscure channels survive because of packaging, TWC can't get CNN and TBS without some of the crappy Turner channels.

Al Jezzeera is free-standing. Ignore it and it will go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
gnemiccolo

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated
Old 12-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #26
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Won't be in my living room.....I can tell you that !
Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #27
Orion

Default all in a name

I, too, was annoyed by the addition of AJ Network to the DirecTV lineup, but decided to check them out to see what kind of poison was being broadcast. I watched them quite a bit and was surprised to find that it is a very unbiased and professional news source. None of that biased fluff stuff you get on the current "mainstream" network news. My opinion has been changed and I would watch them more if they were in HD.

Regarding Internet access, there are also alternatives to TWC such as Fairpoint DSL if you have a phone line.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I, too, was annoyed by the addition of AJ Network to the DirecTV lineup, but decided to check them out to see what kind of poison was being broadcast. I watched them quite a bit and was surprised to find that it is a very unbiased and professional news source. None of that biased fluff stuff you get on the current "mainstream" network news. My opinion has been changed and I would watch them more if they were in HD.

Regarding Internet access, there are also alternatives to TWC such as Fairpoint DSL if you have a phone line.

100% correct - they are an unbiased 'alternative perspective' news source. If my choices for news were limited to ABC, NBC, CBS or AJ I would choose AJ.

I was much more ticked off watching the blatant anti-US rhetoric on R-TV (Russian TV) when I spent time in Alaska. If that is what you are so worried about rest assured there is nothing anti-American about the programming on AJ.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #29
bigdog

Default HD Reception w/o Cable?

Not to get off-track here.....

But can one receive any HD channels w/o cable service?

I thought I remembered, that if you had one of the new TV with a built-in HD receivers, that you could receive some channels w/o cable service?

I'm ready to dump Metrocast cable, and just use my Apple TV service, where I already get NetFlix streaming video for $7.99 a month, and also a boat-load of other offerings on a al-arcarte pricing basis.

Comments?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #30
BroadHopper

Default Unbias news.

Most of the news in US are published by Biased publishers such as Hearst. So I can see why AJ can be a refreshing changed.

Great case to point out, Hearst and others always report the Israeli side of the conflicts and not the Palestine. So everyone gets upset about our government helping out the Palestine only because we get one side of the story. The truth is Israelis is just as much to blame for the problems as the Palestine.
mr1drfl (12-17-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #31
tummyman

Checked Fairpoint for phone/internet along with their Direct TV option. Would be less expensive by about $20 + a month with HD and good variety of channels. There is a little sacrifice in internet speed, but I do not think I'll notice it much since I use a wireless connection and speeds there are controlled by the wireless device. Anyway, if Time Warner does not put NECN back on, I am going to leave them. Decision is already made. Now I understand that this NECN removal also impacts the Berkshires in MA as well as ME and NH. My guess is this is all a ploy by Time Warner to get a better negotiation price out of NECN and if there is going to be any reconsideration, it will happen in the few weeks after Jan 1. Keep the pressure on by calling Time Warner and your local officials / politicians.

Last edited by tummyman; 12-13-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Missed two words....
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
RANGER CANOE CO (12-17-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #32
wickedtravelah

AJ is funded by the government of Qatar....you are getting their"slant" on the news.

http://nypost.com/2013/11/17/al-jaze...t-us-audience/
Old 12-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #33
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post

I thought I remembered, that if you had one of the new TV with a built-in HD receivers, that you could receive some channels w/o cable service?

I'm ready to dump Metrocast cable, and just use my Apple TV service, where I already get NetFlix streaming video for $7.99 a month, and also a boat-load of other offerings on a al-arcarte pricing basis.

Comments?
You can use the tools here to estimate over the air digital TV reception where you live.
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/
Old 12-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #34
Phantom

As a Global traveler (not bragging, just a necessity of my work) I see a lot of varied news outlets ... print, radio, television & internet -- and yes the internet is also controlled!! Travel to China if you do not believe me.

To the comment above about being a refreshing view ........It is ONLY "refreshing" to watch because it is simply a different slant on news than you are accustomed to.

All news outlets have a bias of some nature ..... just up to you to figure out THEIR point of view (bias) and process the validity of the information from there.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #35
Orion

Default Antenna reception

Quote:

Comments?
Depending on where you live, you may get over 20 HD channels, FREE, with just an antenna. I'm always surprised how few people know this still exists. The Cable Co's have done a good job selling a fake monopoly. I'm 35 miles west of Boston and I get 26 HD channels. But, at the lake on Cow Island I'm in a signal black hole and get nothing. Some at the Lake do get Boston, Maine, and Manchester channels though.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I've never understood the "logic" of limiting each town to one, and only one, cable system. Why not let them compete?

I know that building the infrastructure was one of the arguments. But as with the electric and phone companies, it's time to open up the competition.
In many towns the cable system is *barely* profitable, and sometimes it takes 10 years or more before the cost of building the system returns any real profit.

Sometimes an MSO will only agree to build infrastructure in a town if they get exclusivity for some number of years. Even in cases where that doesn't exist, if one operator is active, another is unlikely to want to build a system to "fight" over a limited subscriber base.

So, the reason is really nothing more than simple economics. There aren't enough subscribers to warrant competition.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #37
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
In many towns the cable system is *barely* profitable, and sometimes it takes 10 years or more before the cost of building the system returns any real profit.

Sometimes an MSO will only agree to build infrastructure in a town if they get exclusivity for some number of years. Even in cases where that doesn't exist, if one operator is active, another is unlikely to want to build a system to "fight" over a limited subscriber base.

So, the reason is really nothing more than simple economics. There aren't enough subscribers to warrant competition.
That makes sense. But the exclusive contract must end at some point and competition must be allowed. However I believe the local PUC should own the infrastructure and rent it out to whomever. There is no competition for infrastructure, just the service.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #38
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
That makes sense. But the exclusive contract must end at some point and competition must be allowed. However I believe the local PUC should own the infrastructure and rent it out to whomever. There is no competition for infrastructure, just the service.
Even if competition is allowed, it's simply not attractive. Many times towns have to grant a lot of concessions to the operator to get them to even come in. It varies widely, of course, and I'm not sympathizer to the cable companies, but areas like the lakes region, especially with lots of seasonal residents, are not really prime markets.

Cable plant infrastructure requires a fair bit of ongoing maintenance. Your average PUC is not the ideal organization to deal with system maintenance and upgrades.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #39
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Cable plant infrastructure requires a fair bit of ongoing maintenance. Your average PUC is not the ideal organization to deal with system maintenance and upgrades.
Neither is Metrocast. I was told by two installers that the 'terminals' on the poles are corroded and needs to be replace. One of the reason why many folks in Laconia experience pixeling and 'low signal' when watching TV. As well as interrupts in internet service. I think once the infrastructure is up, Metrocast just wants it to go away.

My sister has excellent service in NC. She has a number of cable service to choose from. I'm not sure who owns the infrastructure.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #40
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Neither is Metrocast. I was told by two installers that the 'terminals' on the poles are corroded and needs to be replace. One of the reason why many folks in Laconia experience pixeling and 'low signal' when watching TV. As well as interrupts in internet service. I think once the infrastructure is up, Metrocast just wants it to go away.

My sister has excellent service in NC. She has a number of cable service to choose from. I'm not sure who owns the infrastructure.
The city needs to get involved and force Metrocast to recertify the system. They are most likely violating multiple aspects of their charter agreement and/or basic FCC requirements. If the town won't/can't do that, they wouldn't do any better maintaining a system on their own.

Not sure if Laconia has a telecom board or not.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #41
patman

Quote:

Yes...you can always connect up to an antenna to see what you get.

And...we have internet-only with the cable co (no TV service, not even basic) but still get a bunch of TV channels anyway over the cable. I think they don't quite know how to allow the digital internet signal while blocking all the digital TV signals. All 3 big networks, NH and ME public TV, plus a couple of others. Oh, and they're in HD too. Some channels are there several times in different resolutions (sd, hd, 1080)

I'm not sure if that's the case with all cable co's, but...that's the TW story.

We rarely watch 'em though, maybe a couple of times a year when there is some big news story or something.

Last edited by patman; 12-16-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #42
Begonezvous

Default Time Warner takeover

Both Charter Communications and Comcast have expressed interest in taking over Time Warner Cable. Comcast owns NECN so I am sure this channel would be restored in a Comcast takeover.

That said, I like NECN, especially for the weather forecasts. Tim Kelly and Matt Noyes are great! I think they do a good job of covering New England and I'll miss having it available.

How is Al Jazeera supposed to tell me about weather in this part of the world? Will we get weather from the Qatar?

"Today will be hot and dry with temps in the 110s.
Tomorrow will be hot and dry with temps in the 110s.
The rest of the week will be hot and dry with temps in the 110s.
The month, the year, etc........."
Old 12-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #43
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonezvous View Post
How is Al Jazeera supposed to tell me about weather in this part of the world? Will we get weather from the Qatar?
You've obviously never watched AJ.

As for the weather, there are dozens of places to get weather data and forecasts from on the Internet. Most of them are more accurate as well.

But, in any case, here is the summary of TV news weather:
Coming up in 10 minutes, we'll attempt to give you the weather for a 40,000 square mile area in 2 minutes...

Here's that forecast... it might or might not rain/snow/precipitate. Temps will cover a range of +/- 10 degrees of the historical average.

Now, stayed tuned for 8 commercials and a story about something you read on the Internet yesterday.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #44
MeredithMan

Default Necn

NECN reported yesterday that they are being dumped by TWC in Western MA and ME and NH. NECN also stated that they are part of the Comcast Corporation. I guess you could infer that NECN thinks they are being dumped because their parent company is a TWC competitor? On their scrolling tickertape at the bottom of the screen today, they were urging TWC customers to call 1 800 TW CABLE to complain.

MM
Old 12-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #45
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Saw an article I can't find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
NECN reported yesterday that they are being dumped by TWC in Western MA and ME and NH. NECN also stated that they are part of the Comcast Corporation. I guess you could infer that NECN thinks they are being dumped because their parent company is a TWC competitor? On their scrolling tickertape at the bottom of the screen today, they were urging TWC customers to call 1 800 TW CABLE to complain.

MM
It was in a western MA newspaper on this subject, and said that TimeWarner are dropping them out in Western MA because NECN is not really part of the Western MA market, and is in the Albany NY market instead.

It didn't go into why ME and NH, but I would guess they feel the same way about ME and NH as they do about Western MA.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #46
chocophile

Default HD w/o Cable

Quote:
Comments?
Yes!

It does take a little technical knowledge and some experimentation, but you can save the monthly cable TV fee and get HD broadcast channels for free using an over-the-air (OTA) antenna.

You can use a TiVo Roamio as your DVR and streaming service (Netflix or Amazon) or use Apple TV to stream and buy shows.

If you're a Red Sox fan, though, you have to pay for cable or satellite.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #47
Merrymeeting

I've seen several references in business news recently that TW is struggling. Then this...this could be a short term issue.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/a...tml/?a=viewall
Old 12-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #48
kauriel

Quote:

Comments?
Yes but you may not get many channels. We bought an antenna for our place in Laconia and if we point it in right direction we get 3 channels. I believe we get abc, fox, and maybe cbs or nbc. I think I paid around 15 for our antenna.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #49
laketrout

LOL dropping NECN for Al Jerezza is it April Fools? One has to remeber that TWC and Comcast are rivals. NECN is owned by Comcast.
Time Warner Cable is a great stock on the NYSE it has had huge net % increase this year.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #50
bigdog

Any Forum members in Gilford have success receiving channels with over-the-air (OTA) antenna attached to their HDTV ?

If so what channels?

Thanks,
Bigdog
Old 12-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #51
Slickcraft

Quote:
Any Forum members in Gilford have success receiving channels with over-the-air (OTA) antenna attached to their HDTV ?

If so what channels?

Thanks,
Bigdog
From the west side of Welch I get:
Ch 8 Maine ABC - just barely by reflection off Mt Major with high gain antenna specifically designed for VHF high band. If I was on the east side of Welch reception would be much better on ch 8 and probably I would also get ch 6.
Ch 31 VT NBC with high gain UHF antenna
Ch 41 VT PBS with high gain UHF antenna

Did you try the tool that I linked in post #33? Reception is highly dependent on exact location as you move the cursor around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
bigdog (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #52
Crusty

I've recently been investigating cable alternatives. In my case, I have Metrocast in NH and Time-Warner in OH. The immediate issue was that my TWC bill had reached $144 / month for Internet and basic cable (no premium channels, no HD except local broadcast). I called their local competitor (Wide Open West - WOW) and got the same services for less than half, guaranteed for 2 years. Interestingly, as soon as I canceled (which was extremely difficult) TWC called repeatedly to undercut WOW's rates and offer other free incentives to get me back (I'm not going).

As a seasonal resident of Alton, I am also interested in my TV options aside from Metrocast. I have found several sources. The first is https://aereo.com They "rent" you a tiny TV antenna and DVR located in their Boston data center. For $8 / month you can watch any broadcast station in the FCC-defined Boston viewing area (which includes Belknap county), about 20 channels + Bloomberg Business TV.

Depending on how high definition you desire, you will need from 0.5 to 2.5 Mbps of Internet bandwidth. You can watch on your computer or other device. You can also use an Internet-connected TV or (as I did) buy a Roku box for about $30. The Roku plugs into the TV's HDMI or composite video ports and connects to Aereo. It also offers connections to other free and paid sites, such as PBS (free), Netflix, and my favorite, Amazon. In my case, since I am already an Amazon Prime member for the free shipping, I can select from several 10's of thousands of movies and TV shows (for free) at any given time. There are about a dozen or two more "channels" available through Roku.

Finally, a growing number of cable networks are making their programming available over the Internet in an advertizing-supported form.

Now, if only there were something actually worth watching...
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
bigdog (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #53
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I've recently been investigating cable alternatives.
Check this thread for more:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15842
Old 12-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #54
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Well, be surprised.

The town signs a contract with the cable company.
Whatever cable company your town has - all was approved by the selectboard.
Your elected officials
And your selectmen sign a contract - usually for 10 or 15 years.
Might be a good idea to contact your selectmen.
Might be a good idea to attend selectmen meetings when contract comes up again for a vote.
Whatever you got your elected local officials approved of it.

A few cities and towns across the country own the local cable system.
But most frown upon this - as being socialism.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #55
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Well, be surprised.

The town signs a contract with the cable company.
Whatever cable company your town has - all was approved by the selectboard.
Your elected officials
And your selectmen sign a contract - usually for 10 or 15 years.
Might be a good idea to contact your selectmen.
Might be a good idea to attend selectmen meetings when contract comes up again for a vote.
Whatever you got your elected local officials approved of it.

A few cities and towns across the country own the local cable system.
But most frown upon this - as being socialism.
Yup, but in all likelihood the contract says that the cable company has exclusive rights to decide what programming to offer. If you want to complain to your selectboard at the time for contract renewal that the programming sucks and they should look to a different company that might offer "better" programming, good luck with that. As has been mentioned upthread, the cable company owns all the infrastructure. A different company coming in would either have to duplicate all that infrastructure (way too expensive in all but the biggest markets) or buy the other company out and take over its operations.

Really, if you don't like the programming offered by the cable company, the best option is to vote with your wallet and drop the service. With satellite services and the proliferation of internet options, it's getting easier and easier to get what cable TV offers through another provider, and usually at a lower cost.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #56
PaugusBayFireFighter

I'd be surprised if anybody is using "cable" anymore to watch television in the very near future. Technology is moving so fast that it seems crazy to think anything we are doing, technology wise, will not be obsolete in 5 years. Amazon, Google and Apple all have "set-top" boxes that stream movies and television. A few years ago I had to wait in long lines at Blockbuster and other video stores to rent movies. Those stores are long gone and it only took a few years for it to happen because of online movie streaming and on demand technology.

Singularity is near. It's both exciting and scary.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...57967247,d.cWc
Old 12-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #57
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
Really, if you don't like the programming offered by the cable company, the best option is to vote with your wallet and drop the service. With satellite services and the proliferation of internet options, it's getting easier and easier to get what cable TV offers through another provider, and usually at a lower cost.
Around the Lakes Region area I am noticing more and more satellites disks. It is a known fact that the cable companies subscriber base is getting smaller and smaller as consumers switch to satellite or streaming of their favorite movies and programs. The WSJ wrote an article that soon cable TV will go the way of the dinosaur and cable and fiber optics will be used for internet. So expect to see internet subscriptions going up.

4G LTE will be competing with the internet providers but 4G do not have the bandwidth to take over the cable/fiber optics guys.

I refuse to rent or purchase a cable box and I do get most of the extended basic channels, despite Metrocast saying I won't get them without a box. Lately I was able to stream to my TV from the laptop previously shown programs without a recorder. A matter of fact I watch the news at my convenience on my laptop! Soon I won't need cable TV.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #58
Lakegeezer

Default New traffic fees?

I'm concerned that as the cable companies lose their media fees, they will start charging for traffic volume, much like the cellular internet providers do today. How would you like a 2 gigabyte cap on your cable or DSL line, and $10/gig over that? My average downloaded traffic is already about 1 gigabyte per day, and still use the regular cable channels to source over over half of my TV viewing. The cable and telephone companies own the infrastructure and there is little to deregulate. They have us over a barrel. We'll be lucky if we can keep network neutrality as more cut their TV cable. The only thing holding me back from cutting the cord, is live access to the Patriots games. That is an expensive hobby.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #59
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
As a seasonal resident of Alton, I am also interested in my TV options aside from Metrocast. I have found several sources. The first is https://aereo.com They "rent" you a tiny TV antenna and DVR located in their Boston data center. For $8 / month you can watch any broadcast station in the FCC-defined Boston viewing area (which includes Belknap county), about 20 channels + Bloomberg Business TV.
Goodbye Metrocast hello 'Aereo' you've got a new customer !

Thanks Crusty for the tip...

Bigdog
Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #60
SunsetPointWentworth

Default Straight up comedy

Do what I do. Watch it as a comedy channel!!!!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #61
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default Iraqi Information Minister Visits Lakes Region

We had some fun with Baghdad Bob back in 2003:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (12-17-2013), BroadHopper (12-18-2013), SAMIAM (12-18-2013), SunsetPointWentworth (12-17-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #62
tummyman

Default NECN is STAYING on Time Warner

Just received a copy of this communication from Time Warner that was sent today 12/20/13 to Carter Terenzini, Moultonborough Town Administrator......

From: Ms. Shelley Winchenbach, Director of Local Franchising (New England-ME, NH, MA) for Time Warner :

I wanted to let you know that NECN will be staying on Time Warner Cable’s system. We are pleased to announce that there will be no disruption in service. In addition, we are looking to collaborate with NECN to improve the quality of programming for our customers.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #63
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Thanks Everyone!

Just wanted to thank everyone who helped keep NECN on Time Warner! All the officials I talked to over the past week thought it was a lost cause, but with all the attention we were able to bring to the issue, we were able to change their minds.

Special thanks to Carter Terenzini, and all the Moultonborough town officials who stepped up and wrote strong letters to Time Warner, and to Senator Kelly Ayotte, who also sent them a letter.

But, in the end, it was all of us who were able to change it.

Thank you to winnipesaukee.com for providing the Forum to get this out to everyone, and thank you to Time Warner for listening!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #64
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Prop-B-Gone View Post
Just wanted to thank everyone who helped keep NECN on Time Warner! All the officials I talked to over the past week thought it was a lost cause, but with all the attention we were able to bring to the issue, we were able to change their minds.

Special thanks to Carter Terenzini, and all the Moultonborough town officials who stepped up and wrote strong letters to Time Warner, and to Senator Kelly Ayotte, who also sent them a letter.

But, in the end, it was all of us who were able to change it.

Thank you to winnipesaukee.com for providing the Forum to get this out to everyone, and thank you to Time Warner for listening!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Thank you to everyone who spoke up about this!

And yes...Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #65
SIKSUKR

That is great news. This same scenerio has played out many times for different stations and different cable systems over the years. The cable companys threaten to drop them over fees and the station shout about it on their channel and then they come to an agreement. I do however wish they would carry NECN in HD.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #66
tbonies

Default Baghdad Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetPointWentworth View Post
Do what I do. Watch it as a comedy channel!!!!

Reminds me of the White House guy giving dail updates on the obamacare website!
Closed Thread