Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #101
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
In the last couple weeks before the November 2016 election, Chris Sununu went big with radio advertisements supporting Trump, and he beat Colin Van Ostern by 354,040 (48.8%) to 337,589 (46.6%).

That line "He never managed anything bigger than a six pack of yogurt!" had to be a big persuader for all us mentally challenged voters ..... ha-ha-ha ..... almost did it for me ....... such a fun political ad! ....

If only Kelly Ayotte could have made up some similar line about Maggie Hassan ..... like "She's so dumb, she can't even knit and ride a bicycle at the same time!" ..... Kelly would still be a U.S. senator ..... too bad ... oh well!
Kelly Ayotte had a built-in issue. While Maggie Hassan was governor, and throwing all of the State Police resources into investigating St. Paul's, she conveniently ignored similar issues at Phillips Exeter, where her husband was President! Not enough has been said about this cover-up.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Garcia (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #102
shifthappens

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I am not trying to make this political.... But instead of worrying about the immigrants waiting at the boarder, how about makeing those that are collecting unemployment, or welfare take these positions at least on a part time basis. while there are supposed to be looking for work.

Just because jobs seem plentiful, don't believe that there aren't people still out there playing the system. Don't believe that there aren't people available with the ability to work...

I could go on and on, but I will not.... I will simply say the solution is available, and it has nothing to do with immigration... it has to do with reforming unemployment, and walfare systems... so that it isn't a "money for free" operation...
One part of the 'system' that could use serious attention/adjustment is the NH EBT/Food Stamps purchase guidelines. On the 5th of the month grocery/supermarkets are bombarded with hoards of reciprients. One and sometimes 2 shopping baskets full to the brim of 'stuff'. Once I saw a shopper having to return half of it's 2d basket because they had passed their EBT purchase limit. It's disgusting to see the crap that recipients are buying with their monthly EBT allotment that amounts to hundreds of dollars per month at tax payers expense. No guidelines except no liquer, tobacco, paper or soap type products. That means that many splurge on large quantities of everything else. I doubt they would buy the same things and as much if they were working. It's 'free' so lets get it whether we need it or not mentality. If they had a job chances are they would not qualiify. Good reason not to get a job. I use to receive EBT for a couple of months while I was looking for a job and thankfully no longer need the help any longer. Who knows what else these same people are getting for free from the 'system'. I recently read that one neighboring state has plans to revise their program that excludes the purchase of 'junk food' from their food program.
shifthappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:16 AM   #103
fatlazyless

Quote:
One part of the 'system' that could use serious attention/adjustment is the NH EBT/Food Stamps purchase guidelines. On the 5th of the month .... It's disgusting to see the crap that recipients are buying with their monthly EBT allotment .....
..... what we need is the federal food police ..... the F.F.P. ...... ha-ha-ha ..... with a buyer's list that's narrowed down to just food items that's on the list ..... make that 36-permanent items with six of the items that gets changed every month for some variety...

Let me see ..... what's good to go on the food police list ...... it could be tuna fish, mayonnaise, rice, canned pineapple, orange juice, and milk, and yogurt covered raisins .... all the good cheap stuff! ..... .... no real maple syrup for you ..... is too expensive!

You know the little metal, marked-down, day old, bakery rack in the back of the store there ...... with all the yummy pastry, donuts, whoopie pies, corn bread, & apple pies at Heath's in Center Harbor is the most happening spot in the whole store ..... an "e b t" program for your typical NH bargain eater .... gotta love those peanut butter whoopie pies made by LePage's in Skowhegan .... left over and abandoned .... for half price!
Old 05-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #104
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Quote:
One part of the 'system' that could use serious attention/adjustment is the NH EBT/Food Stamps purchase guidelines. On the 5th of the month .... It's disgusting to see the crap that recipients are buying with their monthly EBT allotment .....
..... what we need is the federal food police ..... the F.F.P. ...... ha-ha-ha ..... with a buyer's list that's narrowed down to just food items that's on the list ..... make that 36-permanent items with six of the items that gets changed every month for some variety...

Let me see ..... what's good to go on the food police list ...... it could be tuna fish, mayonnaise, rice, canned pineapple, orange juice, and milk, and yogurt covered raisins .... all the good cheap stuff! ..... .... no real maple syrup for you ..... is too expensive!

You know the little metal, marked-down, day old, bakery rack in the back of the store there ...... with all the yummy pastry, donuts, whoopie pies, corn bread, & apple pies at Heath's in Center Harbor is the most happening spot in the whole store ..... an "e b t" program for your typical NH bargain eater .... gotta love those peanut butter whoopie pies made by LePage's in Skowhegan .... left over and abandoned .... for half price!
Not against deserving people getting some help but the other daytime kid in front of me paid with an EBT card. He was in his 20's very healthy and strong. Had on a shirt from a local landscape company and had work boots on so I assume he is working.
Just don't get it.......how do these people qualify?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:42 AM   #105
TheVoiceOfReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Not against deserving people getting some help but the other daytime kid in front of me paid with an EBT card. He was in his 20's very healthy and strong. Had on a shirt from a local landscape company and had work boots on so I assume he is working.
Just because you're employed doesn't mean you automatically meet the income threshold to disqualify from EBT. I'd actually prefer to lend a hand to someone who is holding down a job and trying to advance.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVoiceOfReason For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (05-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #106
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Someone close to me qualifies for EBT benefits - raising three kids and works but doesn't make enough to get by without help. She's always looking for a better paying job but it's harder than many think to make a livable wage. And no, she doesn't smoke, is a moderate drinker, doesn't eat out, no tatoos, no drug problems - and does a good job providing healthy food for her kids.

Yes, there are people at all ends of the income spectrum that abuse the system for personal gain - but I prefer not to assume everyone does.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (05-15-2019), TheRoBoat (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #107
ApS

Arrow It Is "Free"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifthappens View Post
One part of the 'system' that could use serious attention/adjustment is the NH EBT/Food Stamps purchase guidelines. On the 5th of the month grocery/supermarkets are bombarded with hoards of reciprients. One and sometimes 2 shopping baskets full to the brim of 'stuff'. Once I saw a shopper having to return half of it's 2d basket because they had passed their EBT purchase limit. It's disgusting to see the crap that recipients are buying with their monthly EBT allotment that amounts to hundreds of dollars per month at tax payers expense. No guidelines except no liquer, tobacco, paper or soap type products. That means that many splurge on large quantities of everything else.
I doubt they would buy the same things and as much if they were working. It's 'free'
so lets get it whether we need it or not mentality. If they had a job chances are they would not qualiify. Good reason not to get a job. I use to receive EBT for a couple of months while I was looking for a job and thankfully no longer need the help any longer. Who knows what else these same people are getting for free from the 'system'. I recently read that one neighboring state has plans to revise their program that excludes the purchase of 'junk food' from their food program.
They can always trade those "discounted" items for cash, which I think gets them their smokes.

But the major complaint I've seen is lobster in the cart.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #108
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Many say if you can't afford three kids, don't have them. Now that statement should start trouble.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #109
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Many say if you can't afford three kids, don't have them. Now that statement should start trouble.
I deleted my original post - just not worth it...
Old 05-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #110
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I deleted my original post - just not worth it...
Agreed with your original comment--so many circumstances don't follow that narrative.

Someone will be by soon to say she should just work harder.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #111
gilfordboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Wow! What kid (or retiree) would not be happy with that starting pay?
A retiree that is forced to go back to work due to poor planning or other circumstances would not be happy.
gilfordboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #112
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
If everybody had three kids, the original intent of this thread would be solved. There would be lots of summer help, and retirees would rest easy knowing there is a new, larger, generation paying into Social Security.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #113
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Agreed with your original comment--so many circumstances don't follow that narrative.

Someone will be by soon to say she should just work harder.

I'll bite! I actually agree with Garcia to a certain extent. The help should be focused with an eye to not helping anymore. The help shouldn't be forever. I hope we can agree that perpetually being on welfare is not good for the individual being helped, nor society as a whole.

I've told this story before on this Forum. One of my closest coworkers in the RI Army National Guard lost his father in Vietnam. At the time, he was 8. His older brother was 10 and his younger brother was 4. The only thing his mother received was $10,000 from the government. Nothing else. No benefits, no nothing. His mother refused government help (welfare) since she thought it would be a poor example to her children. Instead, she worked three jobs, one full-time job (as a secretary) and two part-time jobs (as a waitress) until the kids graduated from college. One became a medical doctor, one a lawyer and the last one an engineer. All three retired from the military.

The point is that it can be done. Unfortunately, hard work and perseverance is part of the solution.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (05-15-2019), DEJ (05-15-2019), trfour (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #114
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

I agree that hard work and perseverence can go a long way but some people always want to scam the system.

I have a friend I grew up with, a Vietnam vet, who thinks the world owes him a living because he was in the army. He's 75 and he's been on disability for 25 years claiming he hurt his back at work. He's was auto mechanic and went out on workers comp over 30 years ago, settled a claim for short money and never worked legally ever again. He worked under the table and cashed his disability check every month. He also was lucky to marry a woman that had a great job and paid all the bills.
He's the biggest racist I know, always throwing the N word around and complaining that the illegals are coming into this country and taking his hard earned tax dollars, and he's serious when he says this. He hasn't paid income tax in over 30 years!
He lives in NH now because he says there are no N word.
Sometimes he makes it extremely hard to call him my friend.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #115
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I'll bite! I actually agree with Garcia to a certain extent. The help should be focused with an eye to not helping anymore. The help shouldn't be forever. I hope we can agree that perpetually being on welfare is not good for the individual being helped, nor society as a whole.

I've told this story before on this Forum. One of my closest coworkers in the RI Army National Guard lost his father in Vietnam. At the time, he was 8. His older brother was 10 and his younger brother was 4. The only thing his mother received was $10,000 from the government. Nothing else. No benefits, no nothing. His mother refused government help (welfare) since she thought it would be a poor example to her children. Instead, she worked three jobs, one full-time job (as a secretary) and two part-time jobs (as a waitress) until the kids graduated from college. One became a medical doctor, one a lawyer and the last one an engineer. All three retired from the military.

The point is that it can be done. Unfortunately, hard work and perseverance is part of the solution.
Wow, she deserves congratulations! And we know why those kids grew up to be successful don't we!! And she was somebody who needed and deserved help yet was PROUD and wouldn't take it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (05-15-2019), ishoot308 (05-15-2019), Major (05-15-2019), trfour (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #116
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post

Major, your examples are always 30-50 years old. You realize that world no longer exists, right?! Wages vs. living costs are nowhere near what they used to be. Not even close. My parents bought a home on a maintenance man's and grocery clerks salaries in the late 60's. College cost $600 then.

I don't think anyone should ever depend on, or want to depend on, the system; I also know the importance and value of hard work and perseverance (don't forget I worked full time and paid for my own bachelor's and master's degrees mostly in cash, something that could no longer happen, either) but to make comparisons between what it took to succeed 30-50 years ago and now is absurd.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #117
DEJ

Quote:
Major, your examples are always 30-50 years old. You realize that world no longer exists, right?! Wages vs. living costs are nowhere near what they used to be. Not even close. My parents bought a home on a maintenance man's and grocery clerks salaries in the late 60's. College cost $600 then.

I don't think anyone should ever depend on, or want to depend on, the system; I also know the importance and value of hard work and perseverance (don't forget I worked full time and paid for my own bachelor's and master's degrees mostly in cash, something that could no longer happen, either) but to make comparisons between what it took to succeed 30-50 years ago and now is absurd.

The world you suggest that does not exist today thinkxingu still does exist, I take issue with many of your comments. My Son recently obtained his Masters degree, paid almost all of it in cash, worked two jobs, raised a family on his income only, wife and one child, never took out a loan for his education so it CAN be done, you just need the drive to do it.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #118
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
The world you suggest that does not exist today thinkxingu still does exist, I take issue with many of your comments. My Son recently obtained his Masters degree, paid almost all of it in cash, worked two jobs, raised a family on his income only, wife and one child, never took out a loan for his education so it CAN be done, you just need the drive to do it.
What agenda? The only "agenda" I have is being realistic about how the world has changed and how that's affecting us as a country now and in the future. Deficit spending--both governmental and personal--is going to cause major problems and it's not all because young people choose to fail. It is not impossible--I've never said that--but it's exponentially more difficult to achieve what our parents did.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #119
thinkxingu

"But despite the strong labor market, wage growth has lagged economists’ expectations. In fact, despite some ups and downs over the past several decades, today’s real average wage (that is, the wage after accounting for inflation) has about the same purchasing power it did 40 years ago."

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...-years-ago.asp

https://reason.com/2016/01/19/cost-o...nation-in-the/

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-for-decades/

Old 05-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #120
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
I will respectfully disagree. If a person wants to get ahead without handouts in todays world it is very possible, unfortunately youth today are led to believe what you post here and teach.
All that data is wrong? Awesome.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #121
DEJ

Quote:
"But despite the strong labor market, wage growth has lagged economists’ expectations. In fact, despite some ups and downs over the past several decades, today’s real average wage (that is, the wage after accounting for inflation) has about the same purchasing power it did 40 years ago."

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...-years-ago.asp

https://reason.com/2016/01/19/cost-o...nation-in-the/

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-for-decades/

This thread is about hired help problems.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
bkelly13 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #122
Major

Default Excuses

You can make all the excuses in the world. One thing I know for sure, my friend's mom would have equal success today as she did 50 years ago. The only thing that has changed is our mindset. People saying it can't be done. I think today it is somewhat easier, since people who are willing to work hard really stand out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (05-15-2019), DEJ (05-15-2019), Hillcountry (05-15-2019), ishoot308 (05-15-2019), TiltonBB (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #123
Outdoorsman

Quote:

Thirty minutes later you posted this

Quote:
You can't have it both ways. Not even in today's world.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #124
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Thirty minutes later you posted this

Quote:
You can't have it both ways. Not even in today's world.
Yes, but access to well-paying jobs and the costs to achieve those wages has increased. Trade schools, colleges, certification programs, etc. have all exponentially increased and jobs that don't require any education have had the least amount of increases.

Again, it's not impossible, but it's no longer a given that hard work is enough and in an economy like today, where employees are in the driver's seat, increased wages may be a necessity.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #125
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Basically if you can't find a job in this environment then you either have some serious physical, mental, or drug issues otherwise you are just plain lazy. You're either making money or making excuses.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
SPT13 (05-16-2019), TheTimeTraveler (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #126
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Basically if you can't find a job in this environment then you either have some serious physical, mental, or drug issues otherwise you are just plain lazy. You're either making money or making excuses.
Agreed. I don't know much about local support systems--does anyone know if there's a job placement aspect to unemployment or just requirements to keep receiving benefits?

Old 05-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #127
tis

The young need and expect so much more today. We did not have cable, internet, cell phones, hardly ever went out to dinner or picked up pizza. We went grocery shopping with a limited list. Chips and junk food were rare. We didn't stop for coffee on the way to work and we took our lunch to work. And you can bet a lot smoke today which is very expensive. We did not expect to have everything when we first started out but today they do. If they didn't have the government to depend on, they would have to change these habits for a few years.

Trfour, I can't help but think of all your pictures of your trip. All those kids but I bet your parents didn't take a penny from the government.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #128
Garcia

Perhaps a way to pay, at least in part, for entitlements could be to collect the $400 billion in taxes that are owed but never collect. That would certainly help

http://www.crfb.org/blogs/irs-loses-...r-unpaid-taxes

In all seriousness, a huge problem for seasonal service industry destinations like the Lakes Region is housing. The area can’t support all the summer workers it needs year round, and it struggles to provide affordable housing during the peak season.

And before we spend any more time disparaging the younger generation we should all remember that our Social Security and Medicare benefits rely on their payroll taxes. We expect to receive far more in benefits than we paid in.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-paid-what-yo/ (Article is dated - the gap between what we paid and what we receive has grown). And for those who have saved and planned well for your own retirement and don’t need Social Security, do you refuse it - or are you entitled to it?

Are we just as outraged by these programs that the elderly benefit from as we are from seeing someone use an EBT card?
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #129
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Perhaps a way to pay, at least in part, for entitlements could be to collect the $400 billion in taxes that are owed but never collect. That would certainly help

http://www.crfb.org/blogs/irs-loses-...r-unpaid-taxes

In all seriousness, a huge problem for seasonal service industry destinations like the Lakes Region is housing. The area can’t support all the summer workers it needs year round, and it struggles to provide affordable housing during the peak season.

And before we spend any more time disparaging the younger generation we should all remember that our Social Security and Medicare benefits rely on their payroll taxes. We expect to receive far more in benefits than we paid in.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-paid-what-yo/ (Article is dated - the gap between what we paid and what we receive has grown). And for those who have saved and planned well for your own retirement and don’t need Social Security, do you refuse it - or are you entitled to it?

Are we just as outraged by these programs that the elderly benefit from as we are from seeing someone use an EBT card?
Not true for everyone. I’m 53. If I don’t pay another penny, and I retire at 67, I would have to live until 79 just to get back the money I put in. Some people pay in way more than they will ever receive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #130
trfour

Tis,
Quote:
Trfour, I can't help but think of all your pictures of your trip. All those kids but I bet your parents didn't take a penny from the government.
For us, it's Always been, PAY or NAE!! Pay Pay Pay Baby!!
Hi Tis

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
tis (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:39 AM   #131
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major
.... I would have to live until 79 just to get back the money I put in. Some people pay in way more than they will ever receive.
Sorry buddy ..... you was born at the wrong time ..... if you was born back in 1915 ..... lived to age-95 in 2010 ..... your Soc Sec monthly money totals would pay big for what you done paid in ..... too bad! The amount people used to pay in was like peanuts ..... and by living long .... had the benefits of increased pay-outs, big time .... which you helped to pay.

August 14, 1935: Social Security Administration was founded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social...Administration

Got to wonder how Donald Trump, age-72 ..... does he receive a monthly Social Security pay-out ..... an interesting question ... he probably does?