Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
wtibert

Default Jet Ski Wake Jumping

I was coming back into Merdith Bay today in early afternoon. There was a Jet Ski that was cruising around, he circled me, more than 150' away, then came back around to jump my wake.

Is there a distance besides the 150' that he or I should be aware of? He seemed closer than 150' when he was jumping, but I could have been wrong. Trying to make sure I have the appropriate amount (or lack of) annoyance. It's hard enough to manage boats and wakes and craft behind you without someone deliberately being too close. But if I'm wrong, then so be it and I'll adjust.

Simply looking for rule and etiquette discussion.

Thanks.
wtibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Rich

I don't have the law quote but I believe that the 150 no wake law and the law that says his boat can't become airborne are applicable here.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Didn't know that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't have the law quote but I believe that the 150 no wake law and the law that says his boat can't become airborne are applicable here.
I was not aware of the law that says his "boat can't become airborne". Can you tell me where I could find that or what the chapter and section of that law are?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
Knomad

Under NH law:
Saf-C 404.12 Rules for Crossing Boat Wakes and Conduct Near Other Vessels.

(a) No boat operator shall allow his or her boat to cross the wake of another boat, or cross its own wake, in a manner that causes the vessel to become airborne. For the purposes of this section, "airborne" means that the boat's hull completely leaves the water.
(b) An operator shall slow to headway speed when crossing the wake of another vessel when within 150 feet of the other vessel.
(c) No boat operator shall operate his or her her boat in a manner that is unsafe, including the following types of conduct:
(1) Challenging other boaters by heading directly at a vessel and then swerving at the last minute to avoid collision;
(2) Weaving through congested boat traffic at greater than headway speed;
(3) Operating while his or her vision is obstructed; and
(4) Types of operation that are intended to create erratic operational patterns so that other boaters cannot determine the course or heading of the boat.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Knomad For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-13-2015), BroadHopper (09-13-2015), Descant (09-13-2015), Lake Fan (09-13-2015), loonguy (09-13-2015), smith point boater (09-13-2015), TiltonBB (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default I see this all the time.

In front of the marine patrol and I see no actions taken. Maybe the officers need more training?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Lake Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knomad View Post
Under NH law:
Saf-C 404.12 Rules for Crossing Boat Wakes and Conduct Near Other Vessels.

(a) No boat operator shall allow his or her boat to cross the wake of another boat, or cross its own wake, in a manner that causes the vessel to become airborne. For the purposes of this section, "airborne" means that the boat's hull completely leaves the water.
(b) An operator shall slow to headway speed when crossing the wake of another vessel when within 150 feet of the other vessel.
(c) No boat operator shall operate his or her her boat in a manner that is unsafe, including the following types of conduct:
(1) Challenging other boaters by heading directly at a vessel and then swerving at the last minute to avoid collision;
(2) Weaving through congested boat traffic at greater than headway speed;
(3) Operating while his or her vision is obstructed; and
(4) Types of operation that are intended to create erratic operational patterns so that other boaters cannot determine the course or heading of the boat.
Most of these read like instructions not prohibitions. The weaving, the challenging, erratic operational patterns, hulls leaving the water, etc. are routine maneuvers for a not insignificant number of jet ski operators.

(I'm know, I'm painting with a broad brush...)
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
In front of the marine patrol and I see no actions taken. Maybe the officers need more training?
Actually, it sounds like they're trained pretty well in this case...
Old 09-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Or, maybe they are just letting people enjoy themselves who are not endangering anyone.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (09-13-2015), diz (09-13-2015), jetskier (09-13-2015), SAB1 (09-14-2015), thinkxingu (09-13-2015), Winnisquamer (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtibert View Post
Trying to make sure I have the appropriate amount (or lack of) annoyance.
What a shame.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
wtibert (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default RoW

If somebody is behind you and overtaking, you have the right of way. Maintain course and speed. Of course, you should always look behind before you make a course change and abruptly turn in front of an oncoming vessel.

If you are creating such a wake that you are frequently attracting wake jumpers, maybe you should speed up to flatten your wake, or slow down to reduce wake? If it's a rare occurrence, then let's all just have fun.

I think MP uses good judgement in watch jet ski operators with regard to the rules posted above.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (09-13-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #11
Outdoorsman

It's hard enough to manage boats and wakes and craft behind you without someone deliberately being too close

Focus on the boats (wake and craft) in front of you . Allow the 150' rule to be applied BY MARINE PATROL, to the watercraft that are BEHIND YOU.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
nhracing

I agree ... who cares what they do behind you .... you're not there anymore ! When I see them circling I come off plane for a few hundred feet ... I know they appreciate it 😆

nhracing - Yamaha SX210

Last edited by nhracing; 09-14-2015 at 09:32 PM.
nhracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #13
ApS

Question No Control over Two Acres...?

Wake-Jumping: taking-up about an acre (with no control of vessel) on each side of the wake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Or, maybe they are just letting people enjoy themselves who are not endangering anyone.
All day long, my neighborhood—about 2 relatively quiet square miles of Lake Winnipesaukee's 72 square miles—has become home to multiple wake-surfers, skiers, SUPs, kayaks, tubers, swimmers, rowboats, sailboats, canoes, inflatables, windsurfers, paddle-boats and even (this year—once again) rowing shells.

Last season, a big cruiser would pass by at "mush speed", allowing a PWC to jump its wake repeatedly.

Later, when passing by the cruiser—now anchored—I saw that the PWC was tied up to it.

Yes, they'd depart the same way.

Oh boy, was this easy:

Quote:
"Thank you for your question. We enforce the rule as it is literally written; If you are crossing a wake from any vessel including your own, your vessel can’t leave the water. The rule does not state that you can leave the water if you are 150’ away from the boat. If the boat is out of sight and you encounter a wake…you must keep your speed slow enough to not leave the water upon contacting the wake. It is very easy to tell the difference from a wake and a wave. If you would like to discuss them I would be happy to.

You mention the 150’ safe passage rule, keep in mind that you can’t cross a wake at greater than headway speed if you are w/in 150’ of the boat that created it because it would also be a violation of that law as well.

Lastly, it is ok to leave the water if no wake is involved. If waves and wakes are both involved…it is illegal.

If you have any other questions, feel free to call 293-20037 and ask to speak with an officer regarding a law.

Safe Boating!!

Lt. Tim Dunleavy
http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...=1#post3268048
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:17 AM   #14
caloway

Default hate to be a buzzkill

I was looking through the MP incident database and saw one where a PWC ran up over the stern of a boat it was following when it didn't notice it had stopped. Injured a passenger on the boat.

Probably best to keep 150'
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to caloway For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #15
Pricestavern

Default Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
It's hard enough to manage boats and wakes and craft behind you without someone deliberately being too close

Focus on the boats (wake and craft) in front of you . Allow the 150' rule to be applied BY MARINE PATROL, to the watercraft that are BEHIND YOU.
I seem to recall a lot of discussion concerning craft behind you and the need to keep a careful eye out in that direction when maneuvering...
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
noreast (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #16
jayp603

Default wake jumping

cant we have a little fun without the call to the mps?
i throw the biggest wake i can when i see someone looking to jump it....
jayp603 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayp603 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-15-2015), SAB1 (09-15-2015), Shreddy (09-16-2015), Winnisquamer (09-15-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Same here....when we see jet skiers looking for some waves,we do a quick 360 at 3/4 plane just to give them some fun.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Outdoorsman (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #18
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloway View Post
I was looking through the MP incident database and saw one where a PWC ran up over the stern of a boat it was following when it didn't notice it had stopped. Injured a passenger on the boat.

Probably best to keep 150'
PWC's that wake jump are not traveling behind you in the same direction. Typically they will cross behind you from port/starboard or starboard/port.

Last edited by Outdoorsman; 09-16-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #19
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
I seem to recall a lot of discussion concerning craft behind you and the need to keep a careful eye out in that direction when maneuvering...
I agree that when you are (maneuvering) making a turn or changing course you should be aware of traffic behind you.

My interpretation from the OP was that they were just cruising on plane and someone decided to jump their wake.

When I drive my car down I-93 I instinctively make myself aware of traffic behind me when I change lanes, slow for a turn, etc. I am "generally aware" (pun intended) of traffic behind me but do not make any adjustments when I see a car changes lanes, speeds up, slows down, etc. that is behind me
Old 09-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #20
ITD

The only time I have a problem with jet skis jumping my wake is when I am towing a skier or tuber. Typically they get one jump before I turn and head for them. Some take 3 or 4 turns before they get the message. I'm not talking anything dangerous as I'm usually going under 20, but they see the front of my boat instead of the rear until they get far enough away. With no one behind me for them to run over, I couldn't care less.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #21
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
The only time I have a problem with jet skis jumping my wake is when I am towing a skier or tuber.
Agreed
Quote:
Typically they get one jump before I turn and head for them. Some take 3 or 4 turns before they get the message
You are putting your 'skiers/tubers' at risk with this power struggle!

Quote:
I'm not talking anything dangerous as I'm usually going under 20, but they see the front of my boat instead of the rear until they get far enough away.
I am going to wager a guess that a skier/tuber is going to be injured quite severely if they slam into the side of a boat that you are trying to "warm off" while traveling at 20 MPH.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #22
ITD

Quote:
Agreed

I am going to wager a guess that a skier/tuber is going to be injured quite severely if they slam into the side of a boat that you are trying to "warm off" while traveling at 20 MPH.

Yes, I'm well aware of the physics of a pwc, I have two, one weighs 700 pounds and the other weighs 960 lbs. A collision at 20 mph would be devastating to the boat and jet ski. And typically the pwc is going much faster than that when trying to jump a wake. It would be even worse for a tuber.

It's not an abrupt turn and point at the jet ski, it's more like a gentle turn to bring the boat between the jet ski and the tuber. It never gets close, but it moves the wake away from the jet skier, who is typically focused on the wake and not the boat or more importantly the tuber. It's not a power struggle, it's protection of the person on the tube from a jet skier focused on the wave more than where they are going. In fact, most of the time the pwc rider who does this is clueless as to the danger they put the tuber in as they zig back and forth behind the tuber trying to hit the wake before it loses its peak.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #23
dave603

Default Jet ski Bass boat accident

Wonder if this has anything to do with this topic

http://www.wmur.com/news/bass-boat-a...s-bay/35319244
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
gnhdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post

What I found amazing about the article is that this didn't happen on a busy day/weekend but a much quieter day on the lake... SMH
gnhdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #25
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post

I think this is a clear case of the "big lake" theory doesn't work.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #26
caloway

Default exactly

Quote:
Agreed

As mentioned earlier, it's easier all the way around if you just keep 150'. It used to be fun riding my Ducati between cars in and out of lanes. That doesn't make is smart or considerate.
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote