Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
MotorHead

Default boat yards

Why are some marinas, boat yards are book solid with a long wait list and others are available. Basically, I am asking for your experiences with different places around the lake.

Also, why is Lake Winnisquam is much calmer then Lake Winnipesaukee
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (09-03-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #2
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
Why are some marinas, boat yards are book solid with a long wait list and others are available. Basically, I am asking for your experiences with different places around the lake.

Someone can give the actual numbers of how much bigger winni is. But winnisquam is much smaller than winni. Also much less boat traffic as far as overall numbers of people on the water. There is only 1 or 2 boat launches on Winnisquam and only 1 or 2 marinas. Your options are limited and only 2 places to get food by boat with literally 1 dock to pull up to.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
Doobs41378

Winnisquam is 6.6 sq. miles and Winnipesaukee is 71 sq. miles from what i can find on Google.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post

What kind of services are you looking for?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
What kind of services are you looking for?
Thank you.

Nothing in particular.
I am trying to understand why one marina charges over $2500 for the summer valet service while the other a little over $1700.
After all, it is the same service, I understand they are both great.

Why one marina is full with a waiting list the other, next cove over has plenty of room.

I am just trying to learn from others experiences.

Last edited by MotorHead; 09-02-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2020, 11:29 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Amenities

I valet at MVYC. Two nice beaches, gas dock. lots of parking. On site mechanics, playground, winter storage, bath houses with showers and laundry, central location for me as an islander. Others have no beach, etc parking for one car and porta - pottis. When the Mount Washington Hotel is full, you can always stay at Motel 7. Other options: Fay's has covered slip., Silver Sands has onsite motel.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
MotorHead (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 08:14 AM   #7
XCR-700

We valet at Paugus Bay Marine, indoor heated winter storage included, bathrooms onsite, Bryant & Formula boat dealer and Mercury and Volvo service on site, truly outstanding customer support, really great folks and good location for us as commuters (very quick back to RT 93)

ATB
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
MotorHead (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I valet at MVYC. Two nice beaches, gas dock. lots of parking. On site mechanics, playground, winter storage, bath houses with showers and laundry, central location for me as an islander. Others have no beach, etc parking for one car and porta - pottis. When the Mount Washington Hotel is full, you can always stay at Motel 7. Other options: Fay's has covered slip., Silver Sands has onsite motel.
Mountain View clearly has a leg up on most with all their amenities. Its a great option for families with young kids, assuming they have availability in the valet.

At last check PBM was full, but that changes day to day.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
Pricestavern

Default Wam

West Alton Marina has some decent facilities and many cabin owners on Rattlesnake, Sleepers, and Treasure Islands keep their boats there, thus the wait and the cost.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Mountain View clearly has a leg up on most with all their amenities. Its a great option for families with young kids, assuming they have availability in the valet.

At last check PBM was full, but that changes day to day.
People who valet at Mountain View are not allowed to use the amenities, including the beaches. There has even been some consideration given to building a separate toilet facility just for valet people so they are not using the MVYC bath houses with showers. Valet usage for boaters is for valet only.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
People who valet at Mountain View are not allowed to use the amenities, including the beaches. There has even been some consideration given to building a separate toilet facility just for valet people so they are not using the MVYC bath houses with showers. Valet usage for boaters is for valet only.
Oh, well thats different.

Seems a bit silly, but in the current state of our society, snobbery is the new norm. God forbid we treat each other as equal. But I guess the only way to feel good about yourself and like you have reached a certain status is to have something someone else cannot have. At some level I also feel like these same people only enjoy themselves when someone is watching them. Thats why the wakeboaters have concert level speakers, not for themselves, but for others to look at them.

So that makes PBM and WAM look competitive again in the world of valet boat storage, and so I again give the nod to PBM, customer service is job #1 there and they keep a super clean facility. So happy to be there, and really appreciate these folks.

ATB
Old 09-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #12
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:

Seems a bit silly, but in the current state of our society, snobbery is the new norm. God forbid we treat each other as equal. But I guess the only way to feel good about yourself and like you have reached a certain status is to have something someone else cannot have. At some level I also feel like these same people only enjoy themselves when someone is watching them. Thats why the wakeboaters have concert level speakers, not for themselves, but for others to look at them.

So that makes PBM and WAM look competitive again in the world of valet boat storage, and so I again give the nod to PBM, customer service is job #1 there and they keep a super clean facility. So happy to be there, and really appreciate these folks.

ATB
It has nothing to do with treating people differently or snobbery. The fees for regular membership and valet are vastly different. Amenities are not included in the fees for valet so why should they be able to use them for free?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-05-2020), Paugus Bay Resident (09-06-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #13
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
It has nothing to do with treating people differently or snobbery. The fees for regular membership and valet are vastly different. Amenities are not included in the fees for valet so why should they be able to use them for free?

Do they offer a package to the valet customers with amenities???

If so I'll buy some of what you are saying, and if not, sorry it looks more like snobbery to me.

Its the same battle that continues between the waterfront home owners and the day visitors. Homeowners feel they pay more taxes and should be differently entitled, and the day visitors say the laws says we all own every inch of the lake equally.

I say there is a middle ground, but we never seem to reach it. AND I personally feel snobbery is at an all time high, and too many of the late boomers and the Gen X & Y and their millennial kids have none of the modesty and humility and manners of the generations before them.

Your perspective may be different.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #14
joey2665

Quote:
Do they offer a package to the valet customers with amenities???

If so I'll buy some of what you are saying, and if not, sorry it looks more like snobbery to me.

Its the same battle that continues between the waterfront home owners and the day visitors. Homeowners feel they pay more taxes and should be differently entitled, and the day visitors say the laws says we all own every inch of the lake equally.

I say there is a middle ground, but we never seem to reach it. AND I personally feel snobbery is at an all time high, and too many of the late boomers and the Gen X & Y and their millennial kids have none of the modesty and humility and manners of the generations before them.

Your perspective may be different.
No the amenities are not a la carte. It’s a club with amenities, it is not just a marina. For full access you have to be a member and pay full fees with your slip. Their club their rules. Sounds more like sour grapes. This happens at all clubs just like country clubs and other marina clubs around the lake such as Akwa.

Old 09-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #15
XCR-700

Quote:
No the amenities are not a la carte. It’s a club with amenities, it is not just a marina. For full access you have to be a member and pay full fees with your slip. Their club their rules. Sounds more like sour grapes. This happens at all clubs just like country clubs and other marina clubs around the lake such as Akwa.

No sour grapes here, I can wave on my way by as I wasn't the one shopping for a marina, I have mine and I'm quite happy with it.

We were simply discussing the pros and cons of one marina over another to a prospective new marina customer, and why one marina costs more than others. And originally I was trying to give the nod to MVYC because one poster said they valet there and it had all these amenities, but then another poster said no you did not have access to any of the amenities and they didnt even want the valet people using the same bathrooms. So to you it sounds like sour grapes and to me it sounds like gifted rich kids being snobs. Not offering the same access to the customers with slips as the valet customers (yes for extra cost) is a really odd and short sited business model, but as you said its like a country club and they can keep out whoever they want.

But if I was in the market for a new marina, it sounds like MVYC does not offer anything more to the valet customer than I have at PBM except class warfare over bathrooms. And I would never be interested in a slip. I've done that before and dont like the impact to the boat (scum growing on the bottom). I didnt pay as much for my boat as I did to bottom paint it or scrub crap off it, I only want a valet or a trailer. Obviously others are not concerned about it as we still have more slips than valet spaces on Winnipesaukee. so to each his own.

But its good to know that if I wanted a slip, I could opt to join the "club" and they would keep the valet riffraff out of the amenities.

As I said, your perspective may be different and you are certainly entitled to yous and I am mine.

I hope you are not offended and dont have sour grapes over my opinions, I certainly dont about yours.

So long as we dont get personal, its all good.
BroadHopper (09-11-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Quote:

ATB
MVYC is member owned and the members buy their slips, pay real estate taxes, and an annual fee of $2,000. For that they get to use the bath houses, beaches, and get a discount on any gasoline they purchase. They also get free winter storage, and they should, after all they own the land.

The owners or tenants are not people who have "something that someone else cannot have" they paid the price to buy a slip or rent one from one of the 284 owners.

People who valet do just that, valet their boat. They know the deal when they sign up. It has nothing to do with "snobbery" it is a situation where you get what you pay for. That is how life works!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (09-05-2020), Hillcountry (09-05-2020), joey2665 (09-06-2020), Leoskeys (09-05-2020), Paugus Bay Resident (09-06-2020), TheTimeTraveler (09-05-2020), upthesaukee (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 11:29 PM   #17
XCR-700

Thumbs down

Quote:
MVYC is member owned and the members buy their slips, pay real estate taxes, and an annual fee of $2,000. For that they get to use the bath houses, beaches, and get a discount on any gasoline they purchase. They also get free winter storage, and they should, after all they own the land.

The owners or tenants are not people who have "something that someone else cannot have" they paid the price to buy a slip or rent one from one of the 284 owners.

People who valet do just that, valet their boat. They know the deal when they sign up. It has nothing to do with "snobbery" it is a situation where you get what you pay for. That is how life works!
You cant pay for what they wont sell you.

But you dont need to convince me, I'm not the one who was shopping.

If those amenities were available to me as valet customer (for an extra cost) it might be of interest, but they are not and I have no interest in a slip at any price so its a moot point, there is no need to sell your position to me. Again, I'm not the one who was shopping.

If others are looking for a slip rather than a valet storage, I hope this works for them, but if someone was looking for a valet marina and asked me for a recommendation, I dont think I would point them to a place where their neighbors are trying to get them removed from the bathrooms. Sorry, it strikes me as weird.

You dont have to agree.

And if you are a customer there and you are happy, then enjoy and please dont feel any need to change my opinion, because I'm not the one who was shopping.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #18
MotorHead

I had the opportunity to visit Roberts Cove Marina yesterday.
What a nice place, nice down to earth people.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-06-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #19
Descant

Back from the lake. Sorry if my earlier post about MVYC was misleading. I pick up my boat on Friday and head to camp. I come back Sunday or Monday, drop off the boat and leave. In that use pattern I never used the beach, for example, so it never occurred to me that the beach, for example was restricted. I have never heard anything about a separate bath house plans for valet. Could be.
In any event, these are still examples of something that differentiates on place from another. My friends who have boats in the lower end of Paugus, not necessarily PBM, always bemoan the time and aggravation of going through the channel. I'd guess those at Parker Marine are restricted by bridge clearance in Alton Bay.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #20
Flotnjr

So- if i have valet at MVYC and have been on the water all day- myself or my kids can't go pee when we get back? Those folks still pay a pretty good fee- and don't get to use a toilet???
Flotnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #21
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flotnjr View Post
So- if i have valet at MVYC and have been on the water all day- myself or my kids can't go pee when we get back? Those folks still pay a pretty good fee- and don't get to use a toilet???
Not true at all they are entitled to use the bathrooms. But due to crowding the members are considering additional bathrooms for just members

Old 09-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #22
TiltonBB

Quote:
Not true at all they are entitled to use the bathrooms. But due to crowding the members are considering additional bathrooms for just members

Backwards.

There has been some discussion of having a building built with just restrooms for valet users. The members/owners bath houses have showers and laundry facilities as well.

The primary financial beneficiary of the valet service is the management company Irwin Marine. The yacht club sees very little benefit from valet.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:30 PM   #23
Flotnjr

Quote:

Guess that proves the point?
Flotnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:50 PM   #24
XCR-700

Quote:
The primary financial beneficiary of the valet service is the management company Irwin Marine. The yacht club sees very little benefit from valet.
How can that be, valet looks like a huge win win for everyone. super low operational and maintenance costs, boats are much more protected from weathering and bottom growth and thrashing against the dock in a storm. It uses much less space, its much more "green" how could it not produce a huge revenue stream.

And if thats the case that its not a money maker, why did the club create the valet service and facility?

I keep feeling like I'm reading through a portal to another universe that works backwards,,,
Old 09-11-2020, 05:59 AM   #25
TiltonBB

Quote:
How can that be, valet looks like a huge win win for everyone. super low operational and maintenance costs, boats are much more protected from weathering and bottom growth and thrashing against the dock in a storm. It uses much less space, its much more "green" how could it not produce a huge revenue stream.

And if thats the case that its not a money maker, why did the club create the valet service and facility?

I keep feeling like I'm reading through a portal to another universe that works backwards,,,
Because the vast majority of the revenue generated by valet goes to Irwin Marine.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #26
Descant

Default Create?

Quote:

MVYC did not "create" valet, docks, etc. It was Gilford Marina and the owners of the marina condominiumized the facility which incorporated as MVYC.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #27
fatlazyless

Default .... Bring back the pay toilet

Years ago as I can recall, there was such a thing as PAY TOILETS where the doors had locks and required a dime to get inside to use the toilet. That was like 55-years ago, so today probably charging a quarter would be more appropriate.

Is there anyone else here who actually crawled under the stall in the low space down there to beat the ten cent toilet fee? You can probably remember!

World history on the pay toilet ... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_toilet ....... travel back to 1963 when these toilets locks were much more in use, here in the United States .... www.nikolok.com/lokinfo.html ..... hey buddy, can you spare a dime?

With a toilet lock the valet boat lift people can pay 25-cents, and the condo boat people can have their very own toilet key so's this way, everyone will get what they pay for.

Down at the local yacht club, using the toilet should be an expense and not an everyday free use, available to just anyone. .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-11-2020 at 04:13 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #28
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default What did you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Years ago as I can recall, there was such a thing as PAY TOILETS where the doors had locks and required a dime to get inside to use the toilet. That was like 55-years ago, so today probably charging a quarter would be more appropriate.

Is there anyone else here who actually crawled under the stall in the low space down there to beat the ten cent toilet fee? You can probably remember!

With a toilet lock the valet boat lift people can pay 25-cents, and the condo boat people can have their very own toilet key so's this way, everyone will get what they pay for.

Down at the local yacht club, using the toilet should be an expense and not an everyday free use, available to just anyone. .....
FLL, what did you do at the pay toilets? Did you scoot under or climb over? I know you wouldn't have paid a dime.

Dave
Old 09-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #29
Barney Bear

Default Under

As a kid, I could not BEAR to pay a dime, so under I went! What a relief!!! 🐻
Barney Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #30
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
FLL, what did you do at the pay toilets? Did you scoot under or climb over? I know you wouldn't have paid a dime.

Dave
Trolling at its best and you got hooked. I gather the discussion of boat yards is over.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #31
XCR-700

Good Grief,,,

COVID is getting to us all, draining lizards, boater peep shows, now crawling under toilet stalls,,,

I guess it is time for the winter freeze to come and wipe this all away, with snowmobiles!

Oh, not just yet, hoping for a couple more nice days/weekends and trips out on the lake via liquid water

If you see us up parked anywhere, flag me down and we can get a soda or a volcano bowl or just a friendly smile in passing.

gillygirl (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 08:07 PM   #32
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Good Grief,,,

COVID is getting to us all, draining lizards, boater peep shows, now crawling under toilet stalls,,,

I guess it is time for the winter freeze to come and wipe this all away, with snowmobiles!

Oh, not just yet, hoping for a couple more nice days/weekends and trips out on the lake via liquid water

If you see us up parked anywhere, flag me down and we can get a soda or a volcano bowl or just a friendly smile in passing.

Way too early to be talking about wrapping up the boating season...I'll be at it til at least mid November. Did I mention the "new" boat has heat?? That's gonna be life altering!! OK...back to lizards and toilets! :-)
steve-on-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve-on-mark For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 10:12 PM   #33
Descant

Default 110v

Just noticed, my new (to me,.2003) boat has 110 V ac outlet near the helm. I guess I could plug in a small heater. (That may slow down the blender.) Hmm. Batteries vs. inverter? Please don't respond. No in tent to drift off course.