Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
HUH

Default Campfires near lake ?

Does anyone know the bylaws on having a traditional stone circle firepit near the lake for campfires. I thought it used to be 25 feet from water?
I cant seem to find anything on it..
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
Does anyone know the bylaws on having a traditional stone circle firepit near the lake for campfires. I thought it used to be 25 feet from water?
I'm not sure about distance, but most towns require you to get a Permit for a pit fire or you can get a yearly one for the same reason, but again it has to be after 5 PM. Sorry I can't give an answer to distance.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default It may vary from town to town?

Not sure about a "firepit" but in Moultonboro you could not get a permit for a "campfire". You could get a permit for a "Cooking Fire".
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Bear Islander

We get a seasonal fire permit from Y-Landing Marina each year. We enjoy having a campfire on the dock using one of those metal tubs with short legs. When we are done you just put the screen on the top and go inside.

I not sure a permit is even required when the campfire is done this way, but the permit is easy to get and our bases are covered.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
codeman671

Gilford uses a standard seasonal campfire permit from the fire dept. You are supposed to call every night to let them know you are starting it. There is a set distance from your structure that has to be met. On the islands they will go to your place in the spring and check it.

I don't think they really make it to all of the homes, they just signed off on mine last year.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Gilford uses a standard seasonal campfire permit from the fire dept. You are supposed to call every night to let them know you are starting it. There is a set distance from your structure that has to be met. On the islands they will go to your place in the spring and check it.

I don't think they really make it to all of the homes, they just signed off on mine last year.
Wolfeboro and Tuftonboro do the same as Gilford. You get a seasonal permit from the fire dept. I don't think you have to call them every night to let them know you are starting a fire, but can't remember that for sure.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
Orion

Default Need to call

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Wolfeboro and Tuftonboro do the same as Gilford. You get a seasonal permit from the fire dept. I don't think you have to call them every night to let them know you are starting a fire, but can't remember that for sure.
Yes, you're supposed to call each night you have a campfire. There's an 800 number to do so.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
HUH

Default Fires

Permit shmermit... We burn safely all the time in Gilford, never had to get a permit for a campfire...
Another case of personal responsibility gone out the window. In fact my wood stove is going right now and i didnt have to call to get permission.
I was just wondering if there was a setback from the lake from DES.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
Waterbaby

Quote:
Permit shmermit... We burn safely all the time in Gilford, never had to get a permit for a campfire...
Another case of personal responsibility gone out the window. In fact my wood stove is going right now and i didnt have to call to get permission.

Perhaps you should have said that in your first post then........... And if I knew how to do what some others here do, I would make that my next quote!

Last edited by Waterbaby; 03-16-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
Just Sold

The state law on open fires like camp fires changed a few years ago. All camp, pit, outside fireplace fires must have a permit. I believe all town fire departments will issue seasonal permits for these and require that you call to notify them when you are having one.
I have not heard of a fire department refusing to issue these permits They just want you have them in safe locations so as not to cause a structure, grass or forest fire. The last time I got one of these permits the fire department gave me a small booklet on safety and guidlines for any outside fire including ones for burning brush.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #11
Skip

Post RSA 227-L regarding outside burning.

Quote:
The controlling authority on when & where you can burn is your local fire warden apppointed by the State. Any outside burning, including cooking or camp fires, is strictly regulated by State law and can be reviewed by reading the applicable statute, RSA 227-L.

And yes, this statute applies everywhere, even in Gilford.

Unfortunately, even with this very easy permitting process in place, hundreds of individuals excercising there "personal responsibility" find a way to set their yards, their neighbors yards, surrounding woods & forests or their homes and unfortunately homes of others because they failed to follow simple rules or a good dose of common sense.

Hope this helps answer your original question....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
jrc

Darn. I wanted to use the "Permit shmermit... " defense

The gray area we always have is grill fires. You don't seem to need a permit if your grill uses gas or charcoal, but if you use wood is it now a camp/cook fire?

How about those metal fire pits with screens on top. People around me seem to think they are just like a grill.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
wifi

What about those hickory chips, if you toss them in a charcoal fire, does this make it a camp fire?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
HUH

Default Permits

How did I know i would be "FLAMED".. My propane grill is far more dangerous than a campfire and i light it and turn it off on a regular basis without a permit.
I feel sorry for those that manage to burn there homes down but over reaching bureaucracy is on my list of hates.
I guess no one knows the distance from the water? I know there used to be a rule.
Im going to put another log in my wood stove, should I call the fire department LOL
Old 03-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
tis

I have a feeling if everyone called them every time they have a fire, they would go crazy with calls. I don't think most people do. Maybe I am wrong.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #16
BAK04GT

Wellcome to Masshampshire..To think the question would even have to be asked..whats next....how far from the lake can you turn on an icandesent light bulb?
BAK04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #17
Skip

Post Why the permits anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I have a feeling if everyone called them every time they have a fire, they would go crazy with calls. I don't think most people do. Maybe I am wrong.
Hi Tis....

In many communities it is up to the issuing department or ranger to determine the call in procedures. Many issue a seasonal permit that only requires a call in if you are burning brush.

And while State law has been modified in recent years, communities always had the option, through their warden, to be more restrictive.

But why have this permitting process...can't we just use "common sense"?

Actually, there is a very good reason to keep track of fires. A substantial portion of this State is still forrest, much more woodlands than a century ago. And while we have been scaling back on fire towers, there are still a series of manned towers and aerial flights that cover the State, including the Lakes region. Any of the scanner buffs out there will know that all season long the towers are checking "smokes" with local authorities to eliminate costly & time consuming false alarms. And yes, not only do these towers detect remote forest fires, but every year they are the first to notice grass and brush fires well within developed cities & towns, and actually have detected a great number of structure fires well before anyone else!

So there is a very solid and responsible reason why these permits are required...and it has nothing to do with "big government"....
Old 03-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #18
mickweed

Question Rental house - campfire

Hi all,
I have been reading the posts in this thread regarding having campfires near the lake. We are in the process of renting a house in Moultonboro for a week this summer. We just received the lease and were shocked to find that it said "no campfires". We called the realty and they said it was a "town law"....now my question. Are renters able to obtain permits for campfires in Moultonboro? If not, are there any towns on the Lake that we should be looking at that would allow that?
Thanks for any help!
mickweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #19
wifi

Default Another reason..

During spring/summer and fall, Fire Dispatch gets lots of calls from neighbors calling in smokes, usually seen from a distance away, making the location difficult to pinpoint. Dispatch uses this list of permits (or calls the local fire warden) to determine the most likely spot for the FD to check first, otherwise it takes lots of time, manpower and expense. Even a fire tower, unless they can get a cross from another tower, only can approximate a location.

So, if everyone would (theoretically) get a permit, a smoke in the wrong place would be a bad thing
Old 03-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #20
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickweed View Post
Hi all,
... Are renters able to obtain permits for campfires in Moultonboro? ....
You can, as long as you have the owners permission.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #21
BAK04GT

Here you go..plan your little camp fire in advance...dont think your going to get one on Fri. or the weekend..you know state workers http://www.fremont.nh.gov/documents/...itBrochure.pdf
Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #22
Skip

Question What price convenience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT View Post
Here you go..plan your little camp fire in advance...dont think your going to get one on Fri. or the weekend..you know state workers http://www.fremont.nh.gov/documents/...itBrochure.pdf
Wrong...

The permits are issued locally by individuals designated as wardens, usually within your own local fire department. Many of these individuals, outside of our cities, are unpaid volunteers. The Fremont fire department is very accomodating to it's citizens and a simple phone call ahead of time will secure you a conveniently issued permit.

Or would you rather indeed have the job taken on by the State, with State paid (and benefits & retirement plan) workers available across the State on a 24/7 basis so you don't have to do any pre-planning before you light a fire?

Not me, I prefer this mostly volunteer effort that has served the State extremely well, and very cheaply for a matter of decades.

But that's just my opinion....
Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Alton's Rules

Quote:
I guess no one knows the distance from the water? I know there used to be a rule.
If I am remembering correctly from getting our permit last year it is 25' from the lake.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #24
BAK04GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Wrong...

The permits are issued locally by individuals designated as wardens, usually within your own local fire department. Many of these individuals, outside of our cities, are unpaid volunteers. The Fremont fire department is very accomodating to it's citizens and a simple phone call ahead of time will secure you a conveniently issued permit.

Or would you rather indeed have the job taken on by the State, with State paid (and benefits & retirement plan) workers available across the State on a 24/7 basis so you don't have to do any pre-planning before you light a fire?

Not me, I prefer this mostly volunteer effort that has served the State extremely well, and very cheaply for a matter of decades.

But that's just my opinion....
Sorry...just being a little ass bite...never seen anything like what is going on in this state over the last 10 years...I feel sorry for our kids and grand kids...but hey..they wont know the diffrence...Will be normal for them.....guess thats ok?....One thing that I cant stand is goverment in my back yard...sorry...just pisses me off...no self responsability needed any more..we have baby sitters to over see a freagin camp fire?...****....Do we really have to do things the easy way?...what ever happen to the right way......Stand up for freedom and a way of life in N.H...If your from here...if not...suck it up..After all its just a weekend...shouldnt rub on to you to much...When you get home you can take a shower and scub all that freedom crap off..Your neighbors will never know the difference....

Last edited by BAK04GT; 03-15-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #25
Sunrise Point

I agree with Skip, it is very easy to obtain a yearly permit. I get mine at the Meredith Country Store. I can also get a 3 day brush permit if I have a lot of brush to burn. The brush permit, in addition to starting to burn after 5PM and keep a hose handy, requires me to pay very close attention to the posted "Fire Danger" signs at the nearby fire station and notify them when I am going to burn. If there is ever a question about wind or other conditions, a quick call to the local fire dept. will settle the matter. They are the experts and their word is good enough for me.

I am not sure what the local compliance rate is with fire permits, but I live in a densely wooded area and would hate to see it destroyed by a camp/brush fire that got out of control.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #26
Pineedles

Default Fire

It is very convenient for property owners in NH that residents can still burn brush, with or without a permit. But the day will come where you won't be able to burn brush, I am very sure this day will come. It's not allowed in CT; and if NH wants to be a good New England State partner, it will disallow this freedom soon. I don't want a brush fire to burn any acreage in NH or CT for that matter, but I don't see how a permit will prevent that. It will however assign responsibility to the permit holder's fire if it does get out of control.

Its funny, conservatives like me talk about taking responsibility for your own actions, and yet liberals want to assign responsibility by monitoring the permit holders with aerial surveillance. The liberals say that conservatives want to take away your constitutional rights to privacy, and yet the liberal bureaucrats want to regulate you into submission by having you pay for permits to build a bloody camp fire, and want to pay for a plane, with your money, to watch you while you toast marshmallows.

They are watching you! Don't burn those marshmallows, it creates carbon offsets that you can't afford to pay for!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #27
M/V_Bear_II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
It is very convenient for property owners in NH that residents can still burn brush, with or without a permit. But the day will come where you won't be able to burn brush, I am very sure this day will come. It's not allowed in CT; and if NH wants to be a good New England State partner, it will disallow this freedom soon. I don't want a brush fire to burn any acreage in NH or CT for that matter, but I don't see how a permit will prevent that. It will however assign responsibility to the permit holder's fire if it does get out of control.

Its funny, conservatives like me talk about taking responsibility for your own actions, and yet liberals want to assign responsibility by monitoring the permit holders with aerial surveillance. The liberals say that conservatives want to take away your constitutional rights to privacy, and yet the liberal bureaucrats want to regulate you into submission by having you pay for permits to build a bloody camp fire, and want to pay for a plane, with your money, to watch you while you toast marshmallows.

They are watching you! Don't burn those marshmallows, it creates carbon offsets that you can't afford to pay for!
Dude, the planes aren't to spy on you. Would you rather not notice a fire until it was within sight of your back porch? In some of the remote areas of the state, that would be a possibility. I'm not even positive that every town requires that you pay for a permit; it's more to allow town fire departments to be on alert.

And permitting is about taking responsibility - it ensures that a burner is aware of current fire dangers.

BAK, I respect your right to air your opinion. But I do not feel you have a right to do so in a derogatory manner. I would also point out that your discomfort with the choices of others - those who are exercising their freedom - is not in any way relevant to this discussion.
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #28
KonaChick

Quote:
Sorry...just being a little ass bite...never seen anything like what is going on in this state over the last 10 years...I feel sorry for our kids and grand kids...but hey..they wont know the diffrence...Will be normal for them.....guess thats ok?....One thing that I cant stand is goverment in my back yard...sorry...just pisses me off...no self responsability needed any more..we have baby sitters to over see a freagin camp fire?...****....Do we really have to do things the easy way?...what ever happen to the right way......Stand up for freedom and a way of life in N.H...If your from here...if not...suck it up..After all its just a weekend...shouldnt rub on to you to much...When you get home you can take a shower and scub all that freedom crap off..Your neighbors will never know the difference....

How did we go from fire permits to same-sex marriage? Your post is offensive
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #29
Blue Thunder

Default Easy there...

Quote:
BAK04GT...First of all, welcome to the Forum. Second of all, downshift a couple of gears and put your foot on the brake. A post like that, which is only your 5th post since joining will get you NOWHERE on this Forum. There are a tremendous number of good folks on this site offering a wealth of knowledge, opinions, and info. IMO, you're off to a bad start.

Blue Thunder
Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #30
tis

I personally don't have a problem with the permits since they are very easy to get and are for the whole summer. I am one who hates all the rules and regulations the government puts on us too, but I really don't mind this one.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #31
BAK04GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
BAK04GT...First of all, welcome to the Forum. Second of all, downshift a couple of gears and put your foot on the brake. A post like that, which is only your 5th post since joining will get you NOWHERE on this Forum. There are a tremendous number of good folks on this site offering a wealth of knowledge, opinions, and info. IMO, you're off to a bad start.

Blue Thunder
Thank you for the welcome...First of all I posted an answer to the question to the original post...second...there was no need to go any further on the subject of the first post ..the answer was given in other posts as well....This is a General discussion forum ....And where is it that I am suppose to go (no where?).....Are you saying that my opinion and info will not fly in here?....Just because I voiced my opinion you feel threatend?....and therefore I shouldnt?..This is a forum is it not?.....so whats really bothering you?...my speaking out ?....Im sure there are many people in here that really want discussions and not just talk.....but thanks for the welcome....
Old 03-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #32
Resident 2B

Quote:
Thank you for the welcome...First of all I posted an answer to the question to the original post...second...there was no need to go any further on the subject of the first post ..the answer was given in other posts as well....This is a General discussion forum ....And where is it that I am suppose to go (no where?).....Are you saying that my opinion and info will not fly in here?....Just because I voiced my opinion you feel threatend?....and therefore I shouldnt?..This is a forum is it not?.....so whats really bothering you?...my speaking out ?....Im sure there are many people in here that really want discussions and not just talk.....but thanks for the welcome....
Welcome to the forum!

I believe your style contrasts significantly with the style used by most/all frequent posters on this forum.

I happen to appreciate discussions where there are different opinions expressed and defended and I believe this forum has been outstanding in providing the arena for these civil discussions. I also believe that this is the opinion of most posters here.

If what we do is just "talk", I guess you are entitled to your opinion. Every one has their own opinion.

Again, welcome!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #33
BAK04GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I believe your style contrasts significantly with the style used by most/all frequent posters on this forum.

I happen to appreciate discussions where there are different opinions expressed and defended and I believe this forum has been outstanding in providing the arena for these civil discussions. I also believe that this is the opinion of most posters here.

If what we do is just "talk", I guess you are entitled to your opinion. Every one has their own opinion.

Again, welcome!

R2B
...Thanks for your reply....contrast is a good thing and makes for good discussions....and yes I did jump out a bit...but I think its healthy to bring topics of contrast....otherwise your just drinking the Kool-Aid.....When it comes to self responsibilty vs. over protectionisum...Thats one that just burns my butt...
Old 03-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #34
Blue Thunder

Quote:
You are correct. This is a forum. This forum has rules that you agreed to when you signed up, and in my opinion, you are violating them. Here is one:

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

I don't feel threatened at all. As R2B put it, your style will conflict with most, if not all, of the regular contributors here. If you want to come in here like a freight train and make the kind of comments you made above, you go right ahead. We're certainly not Elitists here. I was trying to offer some friendly advice to a newcomer. If you choose not to take it, not a problem. I'll still be here making positive contributions to this wonderful forum.

BT
Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #35
scubajay1153

Default Make it easy on yourselves....

Call your local fire department and find out the requirements for YOUR community. Don't do yourselves the disservice of getting in a pinch following someone elses misinformation, opinions, guess or philosophies when having any fire out of doors. There is a lot of ideas and information on this and a lot of it is wrong or only accurate in certain locales and not in yours.

This is the State RSA which governs us as Deputy Wardens and Brush Burning, etc.:
http://gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html...L/227-L-17.htm

ANd from the brochure defining types of permits available:

Category I Fire" means a small controlled fire such as a camp or cooking fire no grater than 2 feet in diameter contained within a ring of fire resistive material or in a portable fireplace. A category I fire, conditions permitting, may be kindled with a permit at any time of day whether raining or not.

"Category II Fire" means a controlled fire such as a camp or cooking fire no grater than 4 feet in diameter contained within a ring of fire resistive material or in a portable fireplace. A category II fire, conditions permitting, may only be kindled with a permit between the hours of 5:00 pm and 9:00 am unless it is actually raining.

"Category III Fire" means any other fire, not a category I or category II fire or a fire greater than 4 feet in diameter or a fire not contained with in a ring of fire resistive material. A category III fire, conditions permitting, may only be kindled with a permit between the hours of 5:00 pm and 9:00 am unless it is actually raining.

"Category IV Commercial Fire" means a fire, other than a category I fire, conditions permitting, that can be kindled with a permit between the hours of 9:00am and 5:00pm weather raining or not. A permit for this fire would be issued jointly between the Forest Ranger and the Forest Fire Warden

Seasonal Permits are issued on an annual basis for Category I, II and IV Fires.

Gas grills or charcoal fires in a container up and off the ground kindled by the landowner or with the landowner's permission does not require a written fire permit.
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #36
RPM

Default Enjoy

Just have and enjoy your lake side fire. You all have my permission . this verbal
document will expire in 2099. I will bring a guitar and hot dogs.
RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #37
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
If I am remembering correctly from getting our permit last year it is 25' from the lake.
My firepit is only 23.8 inches from the lake and I burn all the time. Last winter I cooked hot dogs all day long while ice fishing.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #38
Mink Islander

Default And follow your town's ordinances

and get a permit, if required.

When I went through Meredith on Tuesday, the fire risk sign at the FD still showed the risk as high.

Those of you who want to make a public safety issue like this some kind of "live free or die" battleground are way off base. Just ask the folks in Alton whether fire safety is a community issue.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #39
topwater

What makes you think they are from NH, they might be from Norwell, Mass. and have a place on Mink Island. I can understand why you automatically think that way. If the shoe fits !!
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #40
HUH

Those cottages in alton were very close together and at least 50-60 years old. They were rebuilt after they burnt down in the 40's.. Nice try with the guilt trip but it has nothing to do with having a safe campfire.
What did the sign in Meredith say today after the rains?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #41
Mink Islander

Default And your point is?

If you had one, I missed it.

I think you'll find that most of the posters on this thread are well known to the forum and are NH residents -- as if that matters. A few newbies may not be. So what!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #42
topwater

LOL, I see the shoe fit quite nicely !
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #43
no-engine

Quote:

I know people in Gilford whose pit is about 20-30 feet from waterfront, using it in summer, maybe 10 feet in diameter.

On my Meredith property, I was able to get a brush burning permit, provided I do not start till 5pm, and it's at least drizzling. The time is related to volunteers have other jobs.

As one post said, confirm with your local fire warden of municiple offices.

I know people in Brookline, NH next to Hollis & Nashua, who have a backyard pit and use it with permits.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #44
woodswalk

Default What were you thinking!

Quote:
Just look at the mess of a thread you created with such a question!
lol! shame on you!
woodswalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #45
Sman

Default distance

Hey HUH, you shouldn't have given up beer, you sound grumpy

why do you care about the distance?

call the town hall

My understanding is that you don't care about rules anyway so why you asking? If you don't care about rules for your self you must be asking because some else is doing it and it is ticking you off...
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #46
HUH

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman View Post
Hey HUH, you shouldn't have given up beer, you sound grumpy

why do you care about the distance?

call the town hall

My understanding is that you don't care about rules anyway so why you asking? If you don't care about rules for your self you must be asking because some else is doing it and it is ticking you off...
Great analogy but you would be incorrect.. We just want to have a small fire pit without being fined by DES or something. My neighbor down the street has a fire once in a while by his beach and im surprised they havnt accidentaly burnt there house down with the amount of carbonated beverages consumed ..lol
Old 04-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #47
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Fire Pits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
My firepit is only 23.8 inches from the lake and I burn all the time. Last winter I cooked hot dogs all day long while ice fishing.
I guess there are too many definitions of fire pits. I was recalling that an unlined pit that could wash into the lake has to be 25' from the lake.
Every town might be different.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 AM   #48
RPM

Default common folks

I do see your concern.I m sure we all remember the last wild fire on the lake caused by a camp fire. I think it was that very dry summer back in 1794.
Please cut the &*$#% ,use your head,and have a safe fire.
RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #49
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
I do see your concern.I m sure we all remember the last wild fire on the lake caused by a camp fire. I think it was that very dry summer back in 1794.
Please cut the &*$#% ,use your head,and have a safe fire.
I agree, if it's such a gray area and so difficult to get an answer (and so many varying opinions) use common sense and enjoy.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #50
Onshore

The traditional stone circle firepit would not need a permit under the Shoreland Protection Act. I can't imagine it needing one from Wetlands either since I wouldn't think anyone would build one on the slope that is considered the bank and it might be difficult to get it to burn if you build it in a wetland.

Last edited by Onshore; 04-29-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #51
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
I guess there are too many definitions of fire pits. I was recalling that an unlined pit that could wash into the lake has to be 25' from the lake.
Every town might be different.
When you look at the effect that all the new construction has had on the lake in the past 15 years it seems ridiculous to start legislating and nit picking all activities near the lake now. The new law will be circumvented or ignored because it is so ridiculous. I am all for curbing major abuses but it seems that most of the damage has been done and the slowdown in the economy has slowed construction. Laws are only made for honest folks. Dishonest people and people who do not care about the environment will find away around the laws, especially if they have money. You can already see the arguments about how to interpert the law here on the forum. I never cut a tree or moved a rock I did not have to. But many just cleared everything regardless of the consequence to the lake. I think the politicians in Concord have gone overboard and the Gov Council will overrule when their friends or constituents are involved. My own personal feelings based on 78 years experience.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #52
dpg

Quote:
When you look at the effect that all the new construction has had on the lake in the past 15 years it seems ridiculous to start legislating and nit picking all activities near the lake now. The new law will be circumvented or ignored because it is so ridiculous. I am all for curbing major abuses but it seems that most of the damage has been done and the slowdown in the economy has slowed construction. Laws are only made for honest folks. Dishonest people and people who do not care about the environment will find away around the laws, especially if they have money. You can already see the arguments about how to interpert the law here on the forum. I never cut a tree or moved a rock I did not have to. But many just cleared everything regardless of the consequence to the lake. I think the politicians in Concord have gone overboard and the Gov Council will overrule when their friends or constituents are involved. My own personal feelings based on 78 years experience.
For crying out loud build yourself a fire and enjoy...End of thread...
Old 04-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #53
HUH

Default Wasnt

Wasnt trying to stir anything up here..
If I recall correctly there used to be an ordinance about 25 feet back from any body of water due to the concentrated amounts of something from the burning.. sulfur maybe? i dont know but there was an issue with direct runoff from an unlined fire pit.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #54
wifi

There is a law against everything (and more)
Old 04-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #55
Onshore

HUH-
I checked with the State Limnologist and asked if he knew of any environmental laws or rules the required a setback for firepits from surface waters. He said that building a fire on the ice was prohibited but he knew of no law that required a setback for campfires. He's been involved with water quality issues in NH for over 30 years. If anyone would have known of such a requirement I'd expect him to know. I'm pretty comfortable saying there is no such state requirement. Maybe your town had something of their own.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #56
dpg

To HUH - I'm just teasing, I'm not the forum police - ask away.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #57
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
For crying out loud build yourself a fire and enjoy...End of thread...
yep uh huh I second this......
Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #58
tis

Quote:
It's funny you mention it, Sl. I think last time we had a recession the same thing happened. Just before they were all panicking, seeing what they could do to slow growth. You would think they would learn things go in cycles.

Yes, laws are only made for honest folks. The people in power have gone overboard. I wish they wouldn't forget who they work for. They are not the kings and knights and we are not the surfs.