Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
songkrai

Default Bike Week Ended: The Numbers

Has anyone seen any numbers or statistics as to turnout? Usually published someplace. Did the area see the same number of bikers? More? Less?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

I think it is impossible to judge by just estimating the # of bikes at the Weirs, etc. Laconia BW should be renamed NH Bike Week. The event has spread across the central part of the state with North Conway and Lincoln attracting large followings.

From what I saw on my travels, it was a good week.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Agreed. The Mount Washington area HOGs have gotten a good turn out for their Rally which is held the last few days of the Laconia Bike Week.
sort of stealing the thunder. I saw numerous bikes while in Conway the other day.
Maybe the condition of the roads around here is starting to affect the numbers as well.
RT 25 from Meredith to Moultonborough is horrible on a good day. Terrible at night in the rain. Even in a car it is getting pretty bad. Just look at the area near the Moultonborough Police/Fire station. I guess this is what we want the tourists to see when they come up? I heard several bikers mention the road conditions, so it isn't just me.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
old coot
Deceased Member

Here in New Hampshire, motor nature plays rough with area events such as bike week, sled dog events and winter carnivals.
It seems to me, only a casual observer, that the bikers hit a lot of rain, year after year.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
NHBUOY

...it was amazingly "bikey" in Lincoln-Woodstock this week...and much less so in Meredith...also...drove down 93 south to Salem, Ma. to see my father on sunday at 3, and came back up 95 at 7 pm, and I don't think I saw 35 bikes...total...and was able to do a drive thru at the Weirs on the way back too......
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
NH_boater

saw that Hell's Angels were present.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
sa meredith

Default 50/50

Good crowds...but from a couple of street vendors I talked to, and couple of restaurants....$$$$ just was not there.
Of course, I'm sure places like Crazy Gringos and Lobster Pound would say differently.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
lawn psycho

Here's a not so nice number, Laconia reports 68 DUI arrests. Bike Week brings more problems than it's worth IMO.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...NEWS-110629958
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-21-2011), Belmont Resident (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
FINANCEGUY

of course the angels were present? did you not know they have a clubhouse 1 mile out of the weirs. So what if they were there? They are there every year, and they have every right to be. Did they cause any problems? NO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FINANCEGUY For This Useful Post:
idoso (06-22-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-22-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINANCEGUY View Post
of course the angels were present? did you not know they have a clubhouse 1 mile out of the weirs. So what if they were there? They are there every year, and they have every right to be. Did they cause any problems? NO
I saw no issues or fights, colors or not!!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (06-22-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
AC2717

can they even really say Pittsfield is part of Bike Week, to say the Fatality was a part of bike week?

Not that I am discounting a life was lost, just curious (aside from the loss of life) what people think
Old 06-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...NEWS-110629958

can they even really say Pittsfield is part of Bike Week, to say the Fatality was a part of bike week?

Not that I am discounting a life was lost, just curious (aside from the loss of life) what people think
He traveled half way across the country to participate in Bike Week. So I would say it counts.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
He traveled half way across the country to participate in Bike Week. So I would say it counts.
thank you, did not know that, why I asked, article did not say that unless I missed that
Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
thank you, did not know that, why I asked, article did not say that unless I missed that
It was online at WMUR last week. His friend that he was riding with was from NH. No worries, sad situation all around.

http://www.wmur.com/news/28244933/detail.html
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
Woodsy

Default Bike Week was way off...

The Bike Week numbers were way way down! I live essentially at Ground Zero... there was little to no traffic and you could breeze right into the Weirs... all week except sunday! I dont even think they closed the bridge but for a few hours here and there!

The problem with Bike Week is the EXCESSIVE POLICE presence! There were way too many cops... way too few people! I get the whole public safety thing... but come on! On 2 seperate occasions i took pictures of a group of 4 NHSP cruisers just hanging out! In one pic taken Saturday a 5th NHSP cruiser was just out of the picture! On walk to the Weirs I counted 7 NHSP cruisers between Kellerhaus and Lobster Pound! SEVEN NHSP cruisers within a 1/4 or so?? Really? This is all with ZERO traffic backup...

IMO... Bike Week has become the Police Benevolent Overtime Week!

Woodsy
Attached Images

Belmont Resident (06-21-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-22-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
Ryan

Not that this is a gauge of attendance, but I found parking at the Weirs to be much more difficult this year. Thursday and Friday before noon, you couldn't find 2 spots to park the bikes.

I do agree that the police presence is way overboard and might be a factor in dwindling attendance.

I know they put those plastic strips across the road in certain locations to count the visitors, but I wonder if they can count the police vehicles also????
Old 06-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
Jonas Pilot

Default A quieter, gentler Bike Week.

http://www.citizen.com/news/laconia_...a4bcf6878.html
Old 06-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
Belmont Resident

Default Vendors

We had vendors say they wish it would go back to a long weekend. They say they make way less money with the whole week long thing then if it was just 4 days.
Every vendor we talked to said people were out but no money was being spent.
We visited the lobster pound the 3 times we went down and each time they looked to be doing very well.
Talked with someone today who was in VT for a wedding a couple of weeks ago. They ran into a group of bikers and asked if they were heading to Laconia. They said no Lake George is where its at now, to many cops at Laconia so they no longer come.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Bike Week Issues

Just some random thoughts about Bike Week:

1. It is, and always has been a "people watching" event. As the crowds continue to dwindle attendance will continue to decline.

2. Traffic delays are not necessarily a bad thing. They contribute to the feeling that Laconia is the "place to be" and help to draw even more people.

3. The signs that say the "Weirs Bridge is Closed" that are posted all the way out to Tilton keep many people from travelling through our area. That reduces the "people watching" and contributes to the decline in attendance.

4. This year the bridge was never closed, but all of the signs remained in place.

5. The over policing of Bike Week creates an intimidation factor that keeps many people away from the event. That costs local merchants revenue, increases the cost to taxpayers, and reduces the tax benefit to the state.

6. The UNH police continue to be overzealous and uninformed and make many mistakes with regard to the enforcement of local laws. They should not be invited back to this event.

7. The city hall powers that make the decisions regarding police and traffic should get input from the residents and business people and make appropriate changes so that they do not completely kill Bike Week. The current mentality seems to be: "We are going to do what we have aways done". That thought process will only result in the eventual end of the event and a significant loss of revenue to the City of Laconia and the State of New Hampshire. Big mistake!

Although it may be an inconvenience to some local residents, the new people and revenue that Bike Week brings into the area every year justifies the event. Many return with their families to vacation, and even buy a home. They patronize local businesses and help to contribute to the local economy.

Last edited by TiltonBB; 06-22-2011 at 05:32 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (06-22-2011), GsChinadoll (06-22-2011), idoso (06-22-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #20
lawn psycho

Quote:
The Hell's Angels are a criminal enterprise. It's silly to defend them as a legit group of productive citizens.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #21
NH_boater

Quote:
No need to jump off the deep end, I simply stated that they were present. Don't read anything into this more than that.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #22
baygo

Tavern 27 better than tripled last year. of course we were only a month old then.

Most the traffic was from the venders who spent most the dinner conversation on how disappointed they were.

Laconia had a traffic meter on union. how to we access the data?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #23
ApS

Exclamation But Nearby, in Montreal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
The Hell's Angels are a criminal enterprise. It's silly to defend them as a legit group of productive citizens.
New Hampshire doesn't have a problem!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...l-arrests.html

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/s...c-b48eb22a2983
Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #24
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by acres per second View Post
ya...hell's angles are no more a danger to society and law enforcement than a group of baptist sunday school kids. :d
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #25
Argie's Wife

Lawn Psycho - I wonder if you'd make that same statement if your real name, not your screen handle, was posted by your comments?

For what it's worth, there's criminals in the non-Hells Angels population, too. Just like there's good motorcycle drivers and there's bad motorcycle drivers. (But Argie will tell you, there's no such thing as a good minivan driver...)

Argie schlepped around The Weirs on Thursday and said he had no trouble finding a parking spot. He said the weather was great and there were no crowds. I'm sure the bad weather during the week, the cost of gas, and other financial-factors (registration costs) made for a smaller turnout this year. It's really too bad for the local economy... I hope things pick up for the rest of the summer tourist season...

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 06-22-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #26
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
I would like to know where you come up with this stuff... I just got this right off there web site.

FAQ

What does the M.C. stand for ?

The MC stands for Motorcycle Club. The fact of the matter is, it's a Motorcycle Club, not a gang.

What does 81 stand for ?

It's a metonym. It stands for the 8th letter of the alphabet which is an H, and the 1st letter of the alphabet which is an A, HA = Hells Angels.

What does Red & White stand for?

Another metonym, Red & White are the Club's colors. Red letters on a White background.

Why do you call your club vest colors ?

Again, another metonym. Colors or Patch stand for the motorcycle club's (Any motorcycle club) insignia. On the top of the back of the vest is HELLS ANGELS, and the bottom is the Charter's location. These are called rockers. The center is the logo called the Deathhead, and the small square with MC stands for Motorcycle Club. The Hells Angels, as well as most motorcycle clubs have copyrights on their name and logo.

How do I join the Hells Angels ?

As the saying goes, If you have to ask the question, you probably won't understand the answer. The key words are Motorcycle Club, which means they are true motorcycle enthusiasts and their motorcycle is their primary means of transportation. On the average a club member will ride 20,000 mile plus a year, and this means rain, snow, or sunshine. Each Charter varies in their requirement, but if you're really interested you should talk to a member in your area. And if you have to ask where the nearest Charter is to you....you aren't ready to join a Motorcycle Club.

Isn't the apostrophe missing in Hells Angels ?

Should the Hells in Hells Angels have an apostrophe, and be Hell's Angels? That would be true if there was only one Hell, but life & history has taught us that there are many versions and forms of Hell.

How do I start a Hells Angels Charter ?

Another If you have to ask, you won't understand the answer. Motorcycle Clubs consist of a group of people who have ridden together for years, live in the same community, are known by the community, have runs to raise money for local charities, and are a brotherhood. It's Motorcycle Club as opposed to an association such as Harley Owners Group, or Goldwing Riders, which allow anyone to join as long as they have a Harley or Goldwing. Not to say associations are better or worse, just different; they don't ride 20,000+ a year together, or know each other as well as you know your family, which is what a Motorcycle Club is about. If you're already in a Motorcycle Club you know how to start a Hells Angels Charter in your area, and if you're not...well, that's probably why you asked the question in the first place.

Wear and purchase of Club Support items ?

Many people think that you have to own a Harley to wear or display Club Support merchandise, but it's not true. Your purchases show that you support The Club's philosophy of being free, and it also helps the Charter put on runs and events that riders of all makes of motorcycles and even those who don't own a bike at all enjoy.

Retired or Undercover Hells Angels !

There is no such thing as a retired or undercover Hells Angels member & never has been! There are a few of our brothers who cannot associate with us due to our govt. and their parole stipulations.

Do you know my uncle... he might be HA?

We don't answer questions about members

Now I am not saying that they are saints and they have never been in trouble but they do there fair share of charity things with toy runs, food drives, etc..
Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #27
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Lawn Psycho - I wonder if you'd make that same statement if your real name, not your screen handle, was posted by your comments?
So its not just me then.. I feel better now!!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #28
John A. Birdsall

Default cycles

I was up this past weekend, and really was surprised at the lack of noise put out and soundings at Echo Point. I did see some cycles, but not that many and they must have read my post about the center black line cause they seemed to stay on one side of the road better. Even at night when its all nice and quite there were very few group rumbles (noise) at the foot of Mt. Major.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #29
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I want to comment on a few things....

1st, there was no denying that attendence was done this year... Heck comming home sunday afternoon, there was no back up in Meredith, and once we got to the interestate we maybe saw a handfull of bikes will traveling south.

2nd, The police presence, I have to agree has gotten to be to much, and is probably a reason for decline in attendance. I believe this police presence is proper for the busiest of years, but one average there are two many police officers.

3rd, Yes the Hells Angels are always at bike week. Not only do they have a club house in the Area, but I believe they also own one of the house close by the blvd. In addition, they are also responsible for some of the vending. I over the years have met several of them while walking around the area, including at one time the man that was President of the Northest Region Chapters of the Hells Angels. While their reputation, was built in the sixties and seventies, they are evolving. And I think most people would be surprised at how much they are working to change the persona, and how many charities they help... Nope I won't say they are Angels, and I will not say that there reputation is with out reason. But I will say don't always judge a book buy its cover.
idoso (06-23-2011), ironhorsetim (06-22-2011), ishoot308 (06-22-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #30
Belmont Resident

Default Hells Angels

Years ago I worked as a bouncer at one of the many popular sports bars in Lowell Mass.
The Hells Angels frequented this bar on many a Friday night as they had a club house just a block away..
They kept to themselves pretty much and bothered no one.
The majority of the problems always seemed to come from the college punks from U-Lowell who very rarely knew the extent of their tolerance to beer and their ability to make fools out of themselves once they had to much of it.
Not once when the Hells Angels were in the bar did they create a problem and many times problems were lessened by their presence due to there reputation when provoked.
Usually the prospects are the ones who would be unruly trying to prove themselves.
I believe you would find if you researched it that today inner city youth with their gang affiliations are responsible for far more bloodshed than the Hells Angels will ever be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (06-22-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #31
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Found on YouTube:

The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Marauder (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #32
Mr. V

For an inside view on the Hells Angels, read Hunter S. Thompson's book "Hells Angels."

He spent a lot of time with them.

Illuminating, to say the least.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 AM   #33
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
I would like to know where you come up with this stuff... I just got this right off there web site.
I hope you realize how ridiculus that statement is (wait, don't even answer that). Type in seaches for Hells Angels murder and see what comes up

The Hells Angels operate drug rings, steal cars, rob people, and simply have no respect for society. A large number of them are felons and armed.

As far as people posting about the HAs in bars. Should we give them a medal since they can go to bar on some nights and not cause problems? La-di-frickin-da. However, that same group will spew deadly violence and the provocations can be as simple as someone "looking" at them the wrong way.

If they are so wonderful, why not let them babysit your kids. Better yet, let them move in next door to you.

Ask law enforcement about what they deal with when the HAs are involved.

I don't know what Kool-Aid you are drinking but you may want to change the recipe....
Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #34
VtSteve

Interesting discussion. There is quite a bit of information available on the net, dozens of pages, just for NH.

This one was as well, which was just a minor occurrence compared to many.

http://www.justice.gov/ndic/pubs0/662/overview.htm

Quote:
Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs are New Hampshire's most threatening organized gang problem. In March 2000, the Hells Angels established a chapter in Manchester. Members came from existing Hells Angels chapters in Maine and Massachusetts to establish it. Law enforcement authorities report that members live in Derry, Hudson, Franklin, and Meredith.

According to a 1999 national truce, the Hells Angels must allow the rival Outlaws to establish a chapter in the state without retaliation. In establishing its New Hampshire chapter, the Outlaws is converting members of the New Hampshire chapter of the Devils Disciples OMG into Outlaws. The rivalry that exists between the Hells Angels and the Outlaws has caused recent violent flare-ups throughout the state. This violence threatens to end the truce between the Hells Angels and the Outlaws, who often compete for control over lucrative drug markets. The Devils Disciples OMG operates from Manchester but has no reported involvement in drug sales.

Although street gang activity is relatively limited in New Hampshire, law enforcement sources assert that it is increasing due to a migration of gang members from Massachusetts. In their responses to the National Drug Intelligence Center (NDIC) National Gang Survey 2000, the Manchester and Portsmouth police departments reported gang activity. The East Side Crew operates from Portsmouth and is involved in the local distribution of cocaine and marijuana, but to a very limited extent.
---------------------------------------

http://www.londonderrynh.net/?tag=he...otorcycle-club
Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #35
ironhorsetim

Default Thread

So....last night I wrote a comment trying to put this thread back on it's original trac but now it's gone...seems like the power that is want's to leave this can of worms open....careful what you wish for.

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
The Following User Says Thank You to ironhorsetim For This Useful Post:
idoso (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #36
lawn psycho

Ironhorse, the discussion about numbers of attendees has been linked to the police presence.

You have gang members, lots of beer, lots of people DUI, and a herd mentality of bikers. That is why the police presence is there as you have fire and gas just waiting to be put close enough together.

Looking at it through my eyes, I don't see the appeal and I think the fact that many bikers are choosing to stay away is as much about what bike week has become over the last 10-15 years.

Someone posted about Bike Week helping the housing. Ya right! I had an opportunity to buy a condo for cheap money (pre-foreclosure) and passed specifically because it was in Meredith and I would be furious if I had to deal with the bike week mess.

I think NH is wasting potential to feature the lake. The Weirs is a dump.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #37
VitaBene

Default Sprawl

The fact is that Bike week has spread out physically across the state. That is the real reason the #s seem to be down and you could get around town relatively easily. Take a ride to Lincoln or the Mt Washington Valley/ Conway areas and you will see where all the bikers have gone.

The bottom line is that the Weirs are not where people want to spend their money. The venues and vendors are tired. The one new venue, the Full Throttle Saloon was slammed all week while the old guard Broken Spoke was dead.

As an aside, I travel to many bike events all over the country and have never seen police presence at any of those events that comes close to the Weirs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
ironhorsetim (06-23-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #38
ironhorsetim

I agree,the Weirs is a dump and that has what to do with bike week or "gangs" ? This place has been going down hill for years. The fact that it is, has nothing to do with either. When bike week is gone (and it will be) sooner or later,all the local businesses will be crying and maybe people will stop having their lawns manicured cause they simply can't afford too.Hotels and motels won't need alot of services, and more and more places will close...at least some people will be happy,but who? I own a house in Laconia right off White Oaks Rd. and I work bike weeks,I think I can deal with all the hoohah because the payoff is well worth it. Maybe the city can deal with with lost revenue but many of my neighbors and friends think different.

Ernest Hemmingway
Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #39
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorsetim View Post
I agree,the Weirs is a dump and that has what to do with bike week or "gangs" ? This place has been going down hill for years. The fact that it is, has nothing to do with either. When bike week is gone (and it will be) sooner or later,all the local businesses will be crying and maybe people will stop having their lawns manicured cause they simply can't afford too.Hotels and motels won't need alot of services, and more and more places will close...at least some people will be happy,but who? I own a house in Laconia right off White Oaks Rd. and I work bike weeks,I think I can deal with all the hoohah because the payoff is well worth it. Maybe the city can deal with with lost revenue but many of my neighbors and friends think different.
I would love to see Laconia and the state put together a comprehensive master plan to revitalize the Weirs Beach area. You have to spend money to make money.
ironhorsetim (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #40
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
1st, there was no denying that attendence was done this year... Heck comming home sunday afternoon, there was no back up in Meredith, and once we got to the interestate we maybe saw a handfull of bikes will traveling south.
In contrast I was heading north on I93 Sunday morning and saw hundreds of Canadian bikers headed home. Times are good for Canadians heading to the US...
Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #41
spider22

Default Police presence

I have seen people post that one of the reasons why the numbers are down is because of police presence. Correct me if I am wrong but if people are not coming because the police are there then they are coming to cause trouble and are the ones you do not want there anyway. My family and I have been vacationing in the Weirs beach area for 17 years(we did go to Maine for a 4 year stint) and 14 or 15 years ago when we would come up on a Saturday to get from the Margate area to fun spot it would take at least 15 minutes because of the traffic backup. If you went to any of the attractions like Funspot or the Weirs water slides they would be packed even during the middle of the week. It is not that way anymore so I think the decline in the number of people at bike week can be attributed to the economy more than anything else.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #42
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
So....last night I wrote a comment trying to put this thread back on it's original trac but now it's gone...seems like the power that is want's to leave this can of worms open....careful what you wish for.
What are you talking about? Nothing of yours was removed.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #43
Woodsy

Spider...

Talk to the customer.... ask the bikers (customers) who attend bike week what thier biggest gripes are. I did and in order of popularity....

1. TOO MANY COPS! One couple I asked about gripes actually asked me why so many cops? Were we (Laconia) expecting some massive brawl to break out? They had been to both Sturgis and Daytona and had never seen the level of Police presence they saw in Laconia!

2. WEATHER... but you cant do anything about it!

3. PRICE GOUGING! Every hotel and condo near the strip jacks the prices and requires multi-day stays...

4. LIQUOR ENFORCEMENT... several people I talked to had been asked to leave a bar not because they were drunk but because they had been there too long. Apparently (and I confirmed this) the Liquor Commisioners kept track of how long people were in a bar... drinking or not!

IMHO there needs to be a comphrehensive plan for Bike Week... especially in a crappy economy such as this!

Make the Weirs like Key West or Bourbon street and allow people to walk around with a beer or drink in a plastic cup! Be welcoming to Bikers... instead of busting everyones butt on stupid crap (loud pipes, flashing, etc) let it slide, let them have fun! Lessen the police visibility! I was told by a VERY reliable source the NHSP were given orders to crack down on EVERYTHING! Sure, have some cops staged nearby for a fast response time, just in case but dont blow the budget on them! 7 NHSP cruisers withn 1/4 mile of each other with no crowds and no traffic is beyond excessive!

Woodsy
AllAbourdon (06-23-2011), ironhorsetim (06-23-2011), LIforrelaxin (06-23-2011), Meredith lady (06-26-2011), NHBUOY (06-23-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (06-23-2011), VitaBene (06-23-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #44
spider22

Default Let it slide

Woodsy ...
In your opinion when my family and I go up for vacation this summer I can cut the exhaust out of my truck and get drunk and drive up and down Weirs Blvd. while my wife flashes everyone on the boardwalk and the cops should let it slide because after all we are just having fun.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #45
sa meredith

Default really?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Spider...

Talk to the customer.... ask the bikers (customers) who attend bike week what thier biggest gripes are. I did and in order of popularity....

1. TOO MANY COPS! One couple I asked about gripes actually asked me why so many cops? Were we (Laconia) expecting some massive brawl to break out? They had been to both Sturgis and Daytona and had never seen the level of Police presence they saw in Laconia!

2. WEATHER... but you cant do anything about it!

3. PRICE GOUGING! Every hotel and condo near the strip jacks the prices and requires multi-day stays...

4. LIQUOR ENFORCEMENT... several people I talked to had been asked to leave a bar not because they were drunk but because they had been there too long. Apparently (and I confirmed this) the Liquor Commisioners kept track of how long people were in a bar... drinking or not!

IMHO there needs to be a comphrehensive plan for Bike Week... especially in a crappy economy such as this!

Make the Weirs like Key West or Bourbon street and allow people to walk around with a beer or drink in a plastic cup! Be welcoming to Bikers... instead of busting everyones butt on stupid crap (loud pipes, flashing, etc) let it slide, let them have fun! Lessen the police visibility! I was told by a VERY reliable source the NHSP were given orders to crack down on EVERYTHING! Sure, have some cops staged nearby for a fast response time, just in case but dont blow the budget on them! 7 NHSP cruisers withn 1/4 mile of each other with no crowds and no traffic is beyond excessive!

Woodsy
Allow people to walk the strip openly drinking??!!
Simply look the other way as women expose themselves?!
Yeah, that'll bring the crowds back. Problem solved, I say.
Wow...are you all right???!!!!
Also, someone had a stopwatch on how long people stay inside a bar? Sorry...not buying that one.
But I'll ask at Gringos this weekend...they would know if that is true, as well as anyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
spider22 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #46
Woodsy

Spider...

Its BIKE WEEK! A national rally that has been held in June in Laconia for 88 years! BIKE WEEK caters to BIKERS.... not necessarily a FAMILY event. I hope when you come up you enjoy your stay. If you dont like bike week then dont visit that week.

I am a FULL TIME 24/7 365 resident of Weirs Beach for over 10 years now. I welcome all to come up and enjoy what I get to enjoy year round! I moved here KNOWING full well how Bike Week is. I embrace it! Its alot of fun for me, and the $$$ Bike Week generates carries ALL of my merchant friends through the year! I know alot of locals to Weirs who work Bike Week and put some serious extra $$$ in thier pockets! When your having a cold rainy summer like this year has been so far, BIKE WEEK is a godsend... it determines if you stay in business or fold!

No offense to vactioners such as yourselves, but if the weather is off, or the economy is off (in this year BOTH suck) you guys do not visit in the numbers needed to sustain most of the local businesses. I know of one business who was off $10K in sales....

The Weirs needs a makeover.... similar to Key West. Open air bars.. cool music... funky shops, fun for all. Meredith already is high end and I applaud the job they have done there. The Weirs needs to retain its honky-tonk flair while being upgraded to a modern destination! I think this state needs to develop a plan for the Weirs and Hampton Beach... designate resort zones... relax some of the liquor rules, encourage people to visit and have fun.

SA... ask the folks at the Gringo! I will prob be there! Whats wrong with walking around with a plastic cup of beer? In a desigated resort zone? They do it all over the world! As far as flashing goes... it never happened all that much even back in the so called "WILD" days of bike week.

Woodsy
AllAbourdon (06-23-2011), GsChinadoll (06-23-2011), ironhorsetim (06-23-2011), jkjoshuatree (06-23-2011), VitaBene (06-23-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #47
GTO

Default I'm guessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
In contrast I was heading north on I93 Sunday morning and saw hundreds of Canadian bikers headed home. Times are good for Canadians heading to the US...
I'm guessing they were all here cheering on the Bruins
Old 06-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #48
AllAbourdon

I guess this is why I have a lot more fun reading and posting on the HD and Roadglide forums...

Live Free or Die
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #49
spider22

Woodsy...
I bring lots of $$$$ every year to the weirs area every year so I guess that gives me the right to break the law when I am there.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #50
sa meredith

Default agree

Woodsy...I certainly do agree with you about the Weir's needing a complete make over. It's too bad the fire this past winter didn't spread and burn the whole strip to the ground.
Other than the bowling alley being gone, I believe the strip looks the exact same as when my parents brought us there in the 70's. Old, run down, time has past it by.
If not for Gringos, and maybe LP, I would imagine I would never dock there, to spend some money.
I mean, how many slices of pizza does one need? And how many video games or ski ball does one need to play.
Just look at the waterfront in Meredith. Why can't the Weir's be as nice.
Totally agree about open air bars/restaurant/live music.
The name escapes me, but the outdoor beach bar in Meredith, near the now closed Christmas Store...how great is that place? What a fantastic spot to hang out, grab a frozen drink and some lunch...bacon wrapped hot dog, holy cow!
The bar and grill at the very end of the pier is sort of the right concept...but somehow misses the mark. It would seem so much more could be done with that spot.
And the plane crashing into the volcano? Had enough of that.
Do they still blast that cannon every so often? That can scare the crap out of you, if you don't know it is coming.
Anyway...
Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #51
ironhorsetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
Woodsy...
I bring lots of $$$$ every year to the weirs area every year so I guess that gives me the right to break the law when I am there.
Not to make lite of your 2 or 3 weeks visiting but you not spending your hard earned $$ would make a huge dent in the local economy....better not venture down to Ft. Myers beach cause you can drink beer in plastic cups and the women are scantily clad

Ernest Hemmingway
Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #52
ironhorsetim

Unhappy now you see it now you don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Wow...are you all right???!!!!
Also, someone had a stopwatch on how long people stay inside a bar? Sorry...not buying that one.
But I'll ask at Gringos this weekend...they would know if that is true, as well as anyone.
Let me help you on this one,the NHLC does not use a stop watch but they certainly do keep track,just like local cops chalking tires.I have worked bike weeks for 10 years as a bartender and a door man and ask any local bar(start with the Gringo) and you'll find it to be true. Like my mom always said.."have as much as you like,but when it's gone...it's gone..sure gonna miss that $$$ when bike week moves on.

Ernest Hemmingway
idoso (06-24-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #53
dpg

The problem with Bike Week is the EXCESSIVE POLICE presence! There were way too many cops... way too few people! I get the whole public safety thing... but come on! On 2 seperate occasions i took pictures of a group of 4 NHSP cruisers just hanging out! In one pic taken Saturday a 5th NHSP cruiser was just out of the picture! On walk to the Weirs I counted 7 NHSP cruisers between Kellerhaus and Lobster Pound! SEVEN NHSP cruisers within a 1/4 or so?? Really? This is all with ZERO traffic backup...

Woodsy - perhaps you would like to be one of the few "staties" there with very little backup? Not me that's for sure. When there's too little and there's trouble people complain. When there's to many and it's quiet people complain.
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
spider22 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #54
Woodsy

Spider...

I am sure you spend alot of $$$ when you come on vacation! Most vactioners and tourists do. I am in no way insulting you. My point is, the Weirs sees approximately 20,000 to 30,000 bikes on average EVERYDAY of Bike Week! There are not enough vactioners to compete with that! Its just numbers! Even if the bikers only spend an average of $5 per person per day (way low) its a major amount of money! I see no reason why some rules cannot be relaxed for this one week! Especially if it helps the local economy! They already relax some rules now for Bike week. While they enforce other in Draconian fashion! I say cater to your customer! During Bike Week cater to the Bikers! Before and after Bike Week cater to the tourists and vacationers!

SA...

I am in agreement with you! I just dont want the Weirs to become Meredith.... I think the honky tonk flavor should be preserved but updated. Cool bars, Cool Music, Funky shops.... make the Weirs a destination not just some old arcades and pizza! Let people sit on a bench and watch the boats on the lake with a beer? Is that soo harmful? Walk down to the Lob Pound from the Gringo and maybe stop into a new key west style open air bar in one of the old arcades on the way....

DPG....

There is PLENTY of backup.... I could understand if Bike Week was a notoriously rowdy event. But its just not. There are plenty of cops walking around. I am not opposed to staging a few cops close by "just in case"! But the Police presence is truly overwhelming for the number of people....
Woodsy
Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #55
spider22

Quote:
Not to make lite of your 2 or 3 weeks visiting but you not spending your hard earned $$ would make a huge dent in the local economy....better not venture down to Ft. Myers beach cause you can drink beer in plastic cups and the women are scantily clad
I actually only visit for 1 week and you are right me not going there would not greatly affect the local economy(although a lot of businesses did close during the 4 years we went to Maine instead LOL). The point I am trying to get across is that just because the bikers who attend bike week bring in revenue does not give them the right to break laws that the rest of us have to abide by the other 51 weeks of the year.

Even though the economy might not miss the money that I spend there every year but I do behave myself and I don't think they have to add any man hours to the police force the week I am there.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #56
ironhorsetim

Default bantering aside

I really hope you have good weather and you and your family enjoy your vacation... We need to keep the economy working.

Ernest Hemmingway
spider22 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #57
jrc

I broke down Sunday and took a ride down to the Weirs, first time in a few years. I'm currently bike-less but I only paid $10 to park a SUV at noon behind Donna-Jeans. I paid more 20 years ago.

The first vendor I met was selling fried fish for half his posted price. It was his first year, he doesn't know if he's coming back.

IMHO bike week is in a tranistion, and I'm not sure what way it will go. The glory days of bike weekend was always a little bit about the danger. Drinking, girls, burn-outs, wheelies, it was unsavory. We came to watch the crazies, always wondering what would happen. We wanted to be close to the dangerous Hollywood biker lifestyle but not actually get killed. People in the lakes region don't really want that anymore.

So now it can morph into at good reason to take a bike ride around the state, stop at nice restaurants and have fun with friends.

Or it can change into Key West or the French Quarter for a week.

What we have now seems unstable. There are some weird juxtopositons.

The blue haired girl selling lemonade really bothered one father with small boys, he carefully stood to block their view. It was comical.

Something tells me that the Progressive insurance game booth will be further away from the massage girl booth next year.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #58
Woodsy

Quote:
Even though the economy might not miss the money that I spend there every year but I do behave myself and I don't think they have to add any man hours to the police force the week I am there.
Spider...

They already temporarily change some of the rules just for Bike Week...

For instance you cannot have live outdoor music in the Weirs past 10:30... unless its Bike Week! The parking meters are not enforced Bike Week either!

Why not temporarily change some other 'Rules" to cater to the 20,000 to 30,000 that visit the Weirs EVERY DAY during Bike Week?

JRC...

I agree the "Glory Days" of Bike Week are long past! But why not have both? A Key West Bourbon Street flair to the Weirs (all summer) and destination rides like North Conway with nice restaurants?

Woodsy
Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #59
spider22

Quote:
Spider...

They already temporarily change some of the rules just for Bike Week...

For instance you cannot have live outdoor music in the Weirs past 10:30... unless its Bike Week! The parking meters are not enforced Bike Week either!

Why not temporarily change some other 'Rules" to cater to the 20,000 to 30,000 that visit the Weirs EVERY DAY during Bike Week?

JRC...

I agree the "Glory Days" of Bike Week are long past! But why not have both? A Key West Bourbon Street flair to the Weirs (all summer) and destination rides like North Conway with nice restaurants?

Woodsy
You don't see a difference in loud music after 10:30 and things like drinking and driving and women exposing themselves. I don't have a problem with people drinking and having a good time if they are walking or staying put but when there is 20 to 30 thousand in an area you need a large police presence.

The sprint cup races at Loudon bring in almost 100,000 people twice a year so according to your logic people should be allowed to drink and drive and women should be able to expose themselves and the police should look the other way because after all it is binging in money.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #60
archstanton

Intersting discussion and points of view. The Weirs and bike week itself could sure use some new direction - as has been stated. But in the end it all comes down to money - right. Would be curious if the "net" inflow for the town of Laconia itself (in terms of permits, taxes, etc.) from bike week would justify the expenditure on extra police?

As for the "crack down on everything" I think this may be the way the town/state are trying to make sure the extra police expense pays for itself in ticket revenue, etc.

I'm afraid the town/state perspective on this may be jsut that it is a money making opportunity.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #61
GTO

Default lets change it for all of the following

Quote:
You don't see a difference in loud music after 10:30 and things like drinking and driving and women exposing themselves. I don't have a problem with people drinking and having a good time if they are walking or staying put but when there is 20 to 30 thousand in an area you need a large police presence.

The sprint cup races at Loudon bring in almost 100,000 people twice a year so according to your logic people should be allowed to drink and drive and women should be able to expose themselves and the police should look the other way because after all it is binging in money.
Lets change the law for all of the following:

Bruins Rolling Rally or any sporting team that wins a championship
The Boston Marathon (love to see those Kenyans do a little flashing)
The Hockey Classic in Merideth
Winni Fishing Derby
Old 06-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #62
jrc

Quote:
JRC...

Woodsy

Sure, why not, I and people I know people who would enjoy both. It's all about the taming of bike week.

I'm a little nostalgic for the old days when not very event and venue had to be child safe.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #63
gtagrip

Quote:

I think you might be missing Woodsy's point about Bike Week and the Weirs as a whole.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #64
spider22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
I think you might be missing Woodsy's point about Bike Week and the Weirs as a whole.
don't get me wrong, I am not against bike week. I just don't think because you have a motorcycle and are one of the 200,000 that go to bike week it gives you the right to break the law. Millions of people vacation in the lakes region every year, my family included. Quite often when I am there I mix my first drink shortly after lunch and I might have 4 or 5 by the end of the day but if we are planning on going anywhere that day I usually only have 1 and 2 being the most.

One of the points that I was trying to get across was that if it is all just harmless fun then why should a heavy police presence deter anyone from going up there.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #65
VitaBene

Default Moderation

Quote:
don't get me wrong, I am not against bike week. I just don't think because you have a motorcycle and are one of the 200,000 that go to bike week it gives you the right to break the law. Millions of people vacation in the lakes region every year, my family included. Quite often when I am there I mix my first drink shortly after lunch and I might have 4 or 5 by the end of the day but if we are planning on going anywhere that day I usually only have 1 and 2 being the most.

One of the points that I was trying to get across was that if it is all just harmless fun then why should a heavy police presence deter anyone from going up there.
Spider, there was trouble a good few years ago that precipitated the crackdown but that seems to be past us. As many riders (myself included!) have gotten older we have mellowed out.

There is a substation right at the W where reserve officers can wait and respond if needed. What is going on now just is not welcoming at all.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #66
gtagrip

Quote:

I think what Woodsy is trying to get across is that the Weirs for 365 days a year should be designated as a resort area where the "laws" would be different, i.e. walking around with a beer/drink like you can in Vegas or New Orleans/Bourbon Street. Makes for a funner atmosphere if you ask me. O.K. Flame away!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #67
spider22

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Spider, there was trouble a good few years ago that precipitated the crackdown but that seems to be past us. As many riders (myself included!) have gotten older we have mellowed out.

There is a substation right at the W where reserve officers can wait and respond if needed. What is going on now just is not welcoming at all.
I have never been to bike week but from everything I have read it has mellowed out from the way it used to be. This is the first I have heard about a substation close by and maybe that is the way they should do it so they could respond in a timely manner. I hope you can continue to enjoy bike week for several years to come. I also hope that attendance at this event as well as other events grow in the years to come. Like I said in an earlier post I have been taking a week's vacation for several years and have seen the crowds diminish over the years and that to me is not a good sign.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #68
6meter

About 20 years ago, I stopped visiting the Weirs on saturday night of Bike weekend as it was then. I'd drive down in my boat qnd do all the people watching I could. Very entertaining! Spent some $$$$. Went back the next year to find a docile, boring, just plain uneventful evening. In the many years that I went, I never saw anybody hurt anybody else. No fighting, just good times. What I noticed different that boring year was the police presance EVERY 30 feet down the bordwalk. Also saw alot of signs stating the $250 fine for flashing. Last I heard, this wasn't advertised as a family getaway weekend. I remember driving up Rt 106 in the 70's. NOW there was some serious going ons!
Lets also remember that Meredith was rebuilt with private monies, not public. Also remember how much a lunch or dinner cost at Lago's or Church Landing as opposed to Gringos or any other establishment at the Weirs. You might be able to rent a small cottage for a week at the Weirs for the same price as one night at Church Landing.
I also thought that the area was kinda quiet this past weekend, not that I traveled down to the Weirs, but Meredith was.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #69
VtSteve

The Weirs has been a dump for decades. Bike week has been a constant. I don;t think Laconia has ever forgotten the riots at the Weirs, which occurred some 46 years ago. It's quite obvious they will never forget them.

If people want to change the nature of a community, they have to do it themselves. Generally, that means having to change your local government by electing people that actually represent you. Given that Laconia has been, by and large, mostly the same for many decades, I came to the conclusion that this must be what most of the people want. If that's not an accurate assumption, those politicians must have a lot of power all by themselves.

I also don't think you necessarily need a wild Key West or Bourbon Street atmosphere to be a successful community. That's not to say it can't, or shouldn't happen. There are many, many things you could do to make the Weirs and surrounding areas a more desirable area. What that may be will be decided by people with money, and of course, the local government. So far, nobody's really interested in resurrecting the dump. So Bike Week remains the single most successful offering, like it or not.

There's a lot of competition for people with real money to spend on vacations. So they better choose wisely.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #70
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by archstanton View Post
Would be curious if the "net" inflow for the town of Laconia itself (in terms of permits, taxes, etc.) from bike week would justify the expenditure on extra police?

As for the "crack down on everything" I think this may be the way the town/state are trying to make sure the extra police expense pays for itself in ticket revenue, etc.

I'm afraid the town/state perspective on this may be jsut that it is a money making opportunity.
Arch...

The City of Laconia recoups its cost thru vendor fees and site permits. Bike Week usually costs Laconia nothing, and in a few years the city actually had a surplus of $20,000 or so. The NHSP are paid for by the State of NH. I would be interested to see the cost of all the NHSP presence!

Spider...

Maybe you should come attend a bike week before formulating an opinion. Not being a jerk, but check it out first. When you walk down the strip on Lakeside Ave and there are 2 cops every 100 - 150' or so its a bit excessive. When I walk from my place to the Lobster Pound and count 7 NHSP cruisers just hanging out and shooting the sh*t... and not a crowd to be seen! There is a problem!!

I dont know how much you follow the news up here, but last year Bruton Smith the owner of NHIS told the town of Loudon to go pound sand (essentially) when they submitted the police bill for one of the races! He found it to be VERY EXCESSIVE and refused to pay. They worked a deal out of some sort.

http://www.thenascarinsiders.com/201...-bruton-smith/

Bike Week has 1/5th the number of people in the Weirs than the 100,000 at NHIS, yet at any given time has a much greater cost in Police presence! To address your concerns about drinking and driving (or walking) it all boils down to individual responsibility! We have strictly enforced DWI laws... I am in no way advocating thier repeal.

If you make it fun the crowds will come back! If you dont and you continue with an oppresive police presence then they will go elsewhere!

Woodsy
Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #71
spider22

Quote:
Arch...

The City of Laconia recoups its cost thru vendor fees and site permits. Bike Week usually costs Laconia nothing, and in a few years the city actually had a surplus of $20,000 or so. The NHSP are paid for by the State of NH. I would be interested to see the cost of all the NHSP presence!

Spider...

Maybe you should come attend a bike week before formulating an opinion. Not being a jerk, but check it out first. When you walk down the strip on Lakeside Ave and there are 2 cops every 100 - 150' or so its a bit excessive. When I walk from my place to the Lobster Pound and count 7 NHSP cruisers just hanging out and shooting the sh*t... and not a crowd to be seen! There is a problem!!

I dont know how much you follow the news up here, but last year Bruton Smith the owner of NHIS told the town of Loudon to go pound sand (essentially) when they submitted the police bill for one of the races! He found it to be VERY EXCESSIVE and refused to pay. They worked a deal out of some sort.

http://www.thenascarinsiders.com/201...-bruton-smith/

Bike Week has 1/5th the number of people in the Weirs than the 100,000 at NHIS, yet at any given time has a much greater cost in Police presence! To address your concerns about drinking and driving (or walking) it all boils down to individual responsibility! We have strictly enforced DWI laws... I am in no way advocating thier repeal.

If you make it fun the crowds will come back! If you dont and you continue with an oppresive police presence then they will go elsewhere!

Woodsy
My opinion on this is that if I was walking down the boardwalk at weirs beach on the fourth of July with and open beer and drinking it I would be arrested. Why should it be OK for someone to do that just because it is bike week? I do not need to attend a bike week to form that opinion. If they want to pass a law allowing open containers, loud exhausts, and women flashing on a certain street(s) or certain town(s) then they would have to be for the whole year not just one week. I think most of us would agree that it would not be a good idea.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #72
lawn psycho

Sorry folks but comparing Key West to Laconia Bike Week is apples and oranges.

No doubt that police chiefs are always looking to get more hours and details. In Greenland they even got a movie theater to have to pay for details.

However, in the case of Bike Week there is a lot of trouble just waiting to happen. It's a rough crowd. If they back off on the police presence then it's only a matter of time until people feel they can push boundaries and then the cycle continues as soon as problems flair up.

My respect has diminshed greatly for people on Winni.com after seeing some of these posts. Now we have people saying to allow near lawlessness on public streets for the sake of making a buck. May as well ignore people smoking dope and shooting up too

The bikers get gouged just like every other place in the country. Ever try renting a room in Manhattan on New Year's? I was in Singapore during the Grand Prix and my company had to fork over $1100US per night for my room. Two days later the rate was back down to the usual $240US/night.
It's always that way as hotels and vendors have the upper hand. Not sure why people can't grasp that.

I firmly believe NH can do better than Bike Week with different events. It's not that hard. Feature the friggin lake!!!!!!!!! The marketing of NH is terrible.

This guy likes to have fun as much as the next guy but I think Bike Week is a drag on the area. Is a large area of beer tents and drunk drivers the best thing NH can offer? I don't think that's the case. People need to get rid of their paradigms thinking Bike Week is the only thing that will work in that area.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #73
Mr. V

What the Weirs needs is to be leveled; erect shiny, new tax producing CASINOS.

Then when bike week comes, the Hells Angels will roll in, full throttle, and things will get really wild ...

see ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frb12...has_verified=1
Old 06-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #74
TOAD

Quote:
Now we have people saying to allow near lawlessness on public streets for the sake of making a buck. May as well ignore people smoking dope and shooting up too
Well said..what are some folks thinking?
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
Old 06-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #75
jrc

Don't forget that bike weekend was started for bikers by bikers, this is not some cowboy poetry festival invented by the federal goverment.

If the bikers get bored with it, they won't come.
If the city makes an unpleasent experience, they won't come.

Then the city can find some other ways to draw crowds before the Fourth of July.

Like everything else, these is a balance, loosening a few rules does not mean Sodom and Gamorrah. I been to Burbon Street, there is a balance.

We are the free-est state in the nation, we should be able to have a good time without an overbearing police presence. We should be able to enjoy our rights as long as we behave responsibly and not be subject to strict rules because somebody might get out of hand.

The police should be ready and able to deal with trouble but be invisible if there is no trouble. The police should never cause the trouble.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #76
Sal

Default Mayor Daly to the rescue

"Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all– the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder."

Mayor Richaard J. Daly, speaking about the riots in Chicago at the Democrat National Convention 1968 .....
Old 06-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #77
GTO

Default have to agree

Quote:

No doubt that police chiefs are always looking to get more hours and details. In Greenland they even got a movie theater to have to pay for details.

However, in the case of Bike Week there is a lot of trouble just waiting to happen. It's a rough crowd. If they back off on the police presence then it's only a matter of time until people feel they can push boundaries and then the cycle continues as soon as problems flair up.

My respect has diminshed greatly for people on Winni.com after seeing some of these posts. Now we have people saying to allow near lawlessness on public streets for the sake of making a buck. May as well ignore people smoking dope and shooting up too

The bikers get gouged just like every other place in the country. Ever try renting a room in Manhattan on New Year's? I was in Singapore during the Grand Prix and my company had to fork over $1100US per night for my room. Two days later the rate was back down to the usual $240US/night.
It's always that way as hotels and vendors have the upper hand. Not sure why people can't grasp that.

I firmly believe NH can do better than Bike Week with different events. It's not that hard. Feature the friggin lake!!!!!!!!! The marketing of NH is terrible.

This guy likes to have fun as much as the next guy but I think Bike Week is a drag on the area. Is a large area of beer tents and drunk drivers the best thing NH can offer? I don't think that's the case. People need to get rid of their paradigms thinking Bike Week is the only thing that will work in that area.
I was watching a replay of the Boston Bruins Parade last night and noticed a very large police prescence. I didn't hear anyone complaining on the news about that or how it ruined their good time. And if they win it again next year, I bet just as many people if not more will attend and won't stay away becasue of all the police on hand. I bet Vancouver wished they had planned better to beef up the amout of law enforcement after game 7. As far as Bike week NH, The cops aren't there to harass anyone. They are there to enforce the law. And if you don't break the laws, you have nothing to worry about. No one, whether its bike week or 4th of July weekend, should ever be intimidated by the number of police. I do remember 20 years ago, sitting along the road leading into Paugus Bay, the parade of bikes coming through on motorcycle weekend. A great parade to watch. But I also remember the flashing (not that I'm complaining) and I also remember a car with 2 girls ini t that was nearly tipped over because they wouldn't flash. I was happy to see the police rush in that day.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #78
AllAbourdon

Quote:
My respect has diminshed greatly for people on Winni.com after seeing some of these posts.
I agree with you but I think we're sitting on different sides of the table. Again, I am contemplating logging out of winni.com to never come back.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #79
Belmont Resident

Default dpg

I will not get into it other then to say I have lost all respect for NSP. I had an incident many years ago which fortunately the judge saw thru their lies and threw out the charges.
Then this past bike week I witnessed more acts of, I’m wearing a uniform I can do no wrong attitude. Way too many instances of police abusing their authority.
FYI, I haven’t received even a traffic ticket since 2001 so it is safe to say I’m not a trouble maker, not even one that doesn’t get caught.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #80
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Having been to Bourbon Street several times and Key West many times I really don't think The Weirs could be turned into a version of either. The "success" of both of those places is related to the almost year round good weather and years of "practice" with enforcement of the few laws they have.

People go to the Keys and New Orleans for a good time, the liquor laws and the hours the bars and clubs stay open are VERY relaxed. Having said that, they also have a massive police presence and a very low tolerance for unruly behavior. Don't believe they are tough on "bad behavior" this is the link to the last seven days arrests in Key West, and it's not even the busy season.

http://www2.keysso.net/ArrestReports/ArrestLog1.htm

The economics of both Bourbon Street and Duval Street would never work without the almost year round customer base and an aggressive approach to unruly behavior. Transforming The Weirs for one week into a mini version of Key West North would simply not work.

JMHO
Argie's Wife (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #81
Winnisquamguy

Quote:

Now we have people saying to allow near lawlessness on public streets for the sake of making a buck. May as well ignore people smoking dope and shooting up too

I don't think that's the case. People need to get rid of their paradigms thinking Bike Week is the only thing that will work in that area.
Quote:
This guy likes to have fun as much as the next guy but I think Bike Week is a drag on the area.
Have you ever been to a bike week or just read about them? Bike week brings in tons of money to the state of New Hampshire.

"
Quote:
Is a large area of beer tents and drunk drivers the best thing NH can offer?
Again where do you come up with this stuff?

Quote:
I firmly believe NH can do better than Bike Week with different events.
What would you like to put into its place, bike week has been around for 88 years!! Bike week isn't going anywhere you can bet your life on that...Start making your 100 anniversary plans now!!

Quote:
My respect has diminshed greatly for people on Winni.com after seeing some of these posts.
I lost respect for you when you when your were calling people retards a few threads ago.
Argie's Wife (06-24-2011), Rusty (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #82
Woodsy

I really didnt mean to stir the pot like this!

I just really think NH as state that counts on tourism for a large part of its revenue could make some small changes to improve the experience. Cater to your customer and they will come back!

LAWLESSNESS?? Really? Bike Week is drag? Ask the local merchants! So far this summer weather has been awful.... If it wasnt for Bike Week revenue they would fold. If you have a better idea that brings in the number of people and the money they spend all concentrated in 1 week I am all ears!

I dont see an issue allowing to people to walk around with a beer or drink in a plastic cup and enjoy the Weirs... or Hampton. Its just a beer. The amount of individual responsibility does not change just because your drinking outside. If it is contained within a certain area I dont see a problem. If your drunk in public, you get PC'd. If you in urinate in public you get a huge fine! You drive drunk.... you get arrested! Nothing changes except you can walk around the Weirs with a drink in your hand!!! Loud pipes are part of Bike Week... the rest of the year enforce the rule. If girl were to flash, dont arrest her unless she does it again! No need to be Draconian. They come here to have a good time, not fight and riot rape and pillage!

I frequent New Orleans and Key West.... and there is a large Police presence... you just dont see them. They come out of the woodwork when something happens. I am not at all advocating ZERO police presence for Bike Week... just a more subdued presence. 7 cruisers in 1/4 mile is excessive!

Woodsy
gtagrip (06-24-2011), SteveA (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #83
Winniboater81

The issue with Bike Week now is the police. I live in walking distance of the Weirs and it is a cluster during bike week. Has anyone been to Sturgis? They let you walk around with beers outside, go from bar to bar, shop to shop. The few cops they have there are on horseback, and are very friendly. They dont just stand there starring at the bikers, with their arms crossed, trying to intimidate. They smile, talk to the people, and if somone is getting too rowdy, they ask them to chill out a bit. Asking gets you alot further than telling. Now I know most cops try to be robo-cops (since they were geeks in high school), and a badge and gun makes them feel powerful. But they are hurting themselves as well, when bike week is done and gone. They will be crying about the overtime.

I spend alot of time at the Broken Spoke during bike week, and the rest of the summer. Alot of people did not go down there because Sat night they had 11 state police cars lined up out front....11!! With at least 20 State Troopers starring at the bikers with arms crossed trying to intimidate them.

If the police eased up a bit, they wouldnt see as many issues as they think. Look at the old days, two to three times as many people showed up, and there were never as many cops as there are now.

Bike week was not, and is not, intended to be a "family event". If your dumb enough to bring your child to bike week then shame on you. Go do something else that is geared towards children.

All in all bike week will be gone in less than 10 years. Vendors wont show up, people wont show up, and the cops will be crying cause they dont get the OT.
For the people that want to come vacation up here, and crab about bike week, dont come up that week, plan around it. You dont see me planning a vacation at the same place you attend your star wars conventions.

Woodsy sounds like he knows alot about what is going on, and I am on the same page as he is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winniboater81 For This Useful Post:
ironhorsetim (06-25-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #84
VitaBene

Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniboater81 View Post
Has anyone been to Sturgis? They let you walk around with beers outside, go from bar to bar, shop to shop. The few cops they have there are on horseback, and are very friendly. They don't just stand there starring at the bikers, with their arms crossed, trying to intimidate. They smile, talk to the people, and if someone is getting too rowdy, they ask them to chill out a bit.
It is like that at Myrtle Beach as well. They are nice and treat riders with respect (as long as they deserve it).
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #85
spider22

Quote:
I really didnt mean to stir the pot like this!

I just really think NH as state that counts on tourism for a large part of its revenue could make some small changes to improve the experience. Cater to your customer and they will come back!

LAWLESSNESS?? Really? Bike Week is drag? Ask the local merchants! So far this summer weather has been awful.... If it wasnt for Bike Week revenue they would fold. If you have a better idea that brings in the number of people and the money they spend all concentrated in 1 week I am all ears!

I dont see an issue allowing to people to walk around with a beer or drink in a plastic cup and enjoy the Weirs... or Hampton. Its just a beer. The amount of individual responsibility does not change just because your drinking outside. If it is contained within a certain area I dont see a problem. If your drunk in public, you get PC'd. If you in urinate in public you get a huge fine! You drive drunk.... you get arrested! Nothing changes except you can walk around the Weirs with a drink in your hand!!! Loud pipes are part of Bike Week... the rest of the year enforce the rule. If girl were to flash, dont arrest her unless she does it again! No need to be Draconian. They come here to have a good time, not fight and riot rape and pillage!

I frequent New Orleans and Key West.... and there is a large Police presence... you just dont see them. They come out of the woodwork when something happens. I am not at all advocating ZERO police presence for Bike Week... just a more subdued presence. 7 cruisers in 1/4 mile is excessive!

Woodsy
You think they should set aside a section along the Weirs that public drinking should be allowed. Is this good for the whole year or just a 8 or 9 day period?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #86
gtagrip

Quote:
You think they should set aside a section along the Weirs that public drinking should be allowed. Is this good for the whole year or just a 8 or 9 day period?

The whole year!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #87
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Woodsy is 100% right on. Police should be a little more subdued....these are customers and tourists and should be made to feel welcome....not tolerated.
A friend who is in business in the Weirs told me that a couple of UNH officers (one female) were even threatening people in boats with arrest for public drinking. One older couple, enjoying a glass of wine in their boat, which I thought was legal, finally left in disgust.
The streets of Key West are crowded with people having fun and most of them have a drink in their hand. They know they are appreciated and there is rarely a problem. When one does occur, the police appear out of nowhere and handle the problem.
They have plain clothes officers circulating that alert uniformed officers when they see a potential problem developing and it seems to work well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ironhorsetim (06-25-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #88
jrc

The state of NH liquor commision will never allow their licensees to sell drinks into an uncontrolled area. You can't leave a bar with a drink.

The city of Laconia could allow people to drink in public, in certain tourist areas (people drink on Bourbon St, not all of New Orleans) then people could bring beer from a store.

Or they could close off the Weirs (for example) and place people at all access points checking ID's coming in and for too drunks coming out. Treat the whole area as a beer tent.

Neither seems likely in todays world.

SAMIAN Re: drinking on boats...

You can drink on your boat on the lake, but the towns around the lake consider drinking on a boat tied to their public docks to be public drinking.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #89
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
It is like that at Myrtle Beach as well. They are nice and treat riders with respect (as long as they deserve it).
Well Myrtle Beach has had there troubles in the city limits I should say, they passed 2 laws a helmet law, and loud pipes, just in the city limits of Myrtle Beach so they were ticketing everyone who came through. No big deal everyone just drove around the city limits, but in was a pain in the a** so there numbers went way down.To make a long story short, they were force to give everyone they ticketed there money back because of state laws.The mayor doesn't like rallies at all. But the rally is still trying to recover. I haven't been back yet after going 3 years in a row, it was a great rally, I hope it gets back to where it was before! Sturgis this year can't wait!!

You can read more about Myrtle Beach here if you would like.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/4/7177...lmet-Law-.aspx
Old 06-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #90
VitaBene

Quote:
Well Myrtle Beach has had there troubles in the city limits I should say, they passed 2 laws a helmet law, and loud pipes, just in the city limits of Myrtle Beach so they were ticketing everyone who came through. No big deal everyone just drove around the city limits, but in was a pain in the a** so there numbers went way down.To make a long story short, they were force to give everyone they ticketed there money back because of state laws.The mayor doesn't like rallies at all. But the rally is still trying to recover. I haven't been back yet after going 3 years in a row, it was a great rally, I hope it gets back to where it was before! Sturgis this year can't wait!!

You can read more about Myrtle Beach here if you would like.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/4/7177...lmet-Law-.aspx
WG, I should have clarified and said MB area. I actually stay down in Murrell's Inlet and business is booming. Between there and Surfside, I see no reason to go to Myrtle Beach proper.

They are actually trying to re-brand it the Grand Strand Rally. Either way, I suggest you check it out again. plenty of people and vendors.
Winnisquamguy (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #91
Ryan

Default Over the top police presence

Here's a great example of where overbearing police presence will slowly turn people away.

My buddy and I were sitting on the fence/barrier directly across from the Smokehouse around 11am on Friday morning. We were just watching the bikers, shooting the breeze with some of the other bikers around me. It was early in the day, traffic was light, and there might have been 5-6 other people sitting there with us.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this area, the fence lines the sidewalk - which is probably 6-10 feet wide (estimating a typical sidewalk).

After we casually sat for about 20 minutes, Mr. Laconia PD comes by and tells us all that we need to move along. When asked why, he explains to us that we are "taking up too much of the sidewalk" and "people cannot pass when we are blocking the sidewalk".

Now, we were sitting ON the fence. Our feet were not even touching the sidewalk.

This is the type of police presence that will keep people away for years to come.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #92
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
WG, I should have clarified and said MB area. I actually stay down in Murrell's Inlet and business is booming. Between there and Surfside, I see no reason to go to Myrtle Beach proper.

They are actually trying to re-brand it the Grand Strand Rally. Either way, I suggest you check it out again. plenty of people and vendors.
We did usually go down that end for one day to the four corners... I was talking to the guy who is bringing my trike out to Sturgis and he said its getting better but still not there yet. The people are very friendly there and the prices are right.I stayed up in Little River the opposite of you. Maybe we will try in again this coming May.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #93
lawn psycho

Quote:
Have you ever been to a bike week or just read about them? Bike week brings in tons of money to the state of New Hampshire.
This ain't my first rodeo. I lived in Orlando for 18 months. Hint: What is an hour away? Key West, been there, done that. Big difference from crowds of guys riding bikes too and from an event versus having cruise passengers coming in off the ships everyday.

This is the issue I have in that the H-D crowd (Laconia is much more about H-D bikes than it is about "motorcycles" in general) seems to think that since they are spending money that it entitles them to do whatever they want. Guess what guys, it doesn't work that way.

No doubt Bike Week brings in money but I think the event being dragged out over two weekends means vendors are working longer to make the same dollar.

Bike Week is a drag on the area as it creates issues including many reckless drivers, a LOT of DUI, traffic issues, noise, etc. You asked where do I get this stuff? See post #8. Those aren't my numbers. The Weirs area is designed around the beer tents. In fact, the topic we are discussing now is someone proposing making every square inch of the Weir a drinking zone! Hellllooo. That's a recipe for trouble.

What some of you are asking is for the police to turn a blind eye, plain and simple. Have Hampton Beach allow open container? MUUWAHAHAHA. Do you know how many kids down there already create problems as it is?

Bike Week in Laconia is suffering from the economy. A lot of the money for people to buy toys is long gone. The 90s and up to 2006 are behind us. You think Bike Week will be around forever? I don't. Can't say when the party will end but I think Laconia will eventually come to terms with the fact that it's not all easy money. Places like Daytona and Panama City Beach have looked to re-brand themselves.

With effort NH and the Laconia area can re-brand itself.

You want an example of good event. Take Timberman Triathlon Festival for example. Rooms rented, minimal traffic disruptions, food bought, restaurants patronized, etc. No DUIs to just be considered as "the price of bringing in money". Go look up what the average Ironman athelete income is

I could care less if you want to ride from place to place talking about the same motorcycles over, and over, and over, again. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Letting business soley decide what should and should not be regulated has gotten this country where it is today. Businesses will sell their daughters to make a buck Punchline: I NEVER want businesses to dictate what a Town does that I live in.

If people in Laconia want Bike Week and the ills that come with it, so be it. However it appears to me that the crowds have decided that Weirs is not the place to be and going elsewhere. Police presence is an excuse that doesn't hold water.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #94
Argie's Wife

I was in WB this evening and talked with a couple of business owners. One restaurant owner said Bike Week this year was a lot like last year; nothing special but the business was steady. He hoped for things to get better next year, and who could blame him for that?

I'd hate to be in the shoes of any business owner in the Weirs after reading this thread. Weirs Beach may be an area you love or you hate; but some folks have to make a living there and I'd be careful to be respectful of the business owners there - that's their livelihood. I'd also hate to be anyone who worked so hard to trying to organize/market the event - in these tough financial times it's probably twice as hard to sell an event like that.

Weirs Beach like the elderly aunt who still insists on wearing miniskirts and heels to prove she's young and tries to act cool with the kids. You love her, but she's really a bit of an embarrassment. You might opt to avoid her, even. But if she changed, you'd be shocked and maybe even more uncomfortable.

And as for WB rebranding itself... I'd be very careful there. There's a lot of history that could be lost if a drastic rebranding was done. I've been witness to that recently in the Virginia Beach area - the whole beach front area has been rezoned and is being demolished. It was sad to see perfectly good businesses - restaurants, stores, etc., just leveled. Many businesses had to close and others had to relocate. The new buildings have certain standards they have to meet and, in a nutshell, the area now looks like one ugly boutique. The 'character' and uniqueness has been lost.

You may not love WB, but is a complete overhaul necessary to make an event like Bike Week a success? I don't think so.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-26-2011), ironhorsetim (06-25-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #95
ironhorsetim

Question One hour??

Quote:
This ain't my first rodeo. I lived in Orlando for 18 months. Hint: What is an hour away? Key West, been there, done that.
Since when did they move Orlando south about 3 hours?? Ever been to the Keys during fantasy fest or St. Patricks day?? Point being They cater to tourists no matter what the event just like we do here on Ft.Myers Beach. People choose to live and vacation where they like...it's all about choices,if you don't like something don't go there.

Ernest Hemmingway
idoso (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #96
TOAD

Quote:
Since when did they move Orlando south about 3 hours?? Ever been to the Keys during fantasy fest or St. Patricks day?? Point being They cater to tourists no matter what the event just like we do here on Ft.Myers Beach. People choose to live and vacation where they like...it's all about choices,if you don't like something don't go there.
They didn't move Orlando. They towed Key West north and anchored it just north of Cape Canaveral about 2 miles off shore.

It was a "shovel ready" stimulus job with union contractors.

Puts it about an hour away from Orlando.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #97
lawn psycho

Guys, he asked if I have been to any bike weeks. I know my geography quite well thank you. Ever heardof daytona?

The white trash of Laconia can only dream to be like Key West.

I will enjoy my time in Marco Island spending money there instead of to corrupt and trashy lakes regio businesses too.

Better yet, I hope the open up the drinking so bike week meets its demise sooner.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #98
ironhorsetim

Wow,one classy act right there. You do alot of bashing about the lakes region,the business's here and the people...maybe "Tin City" (Naples for those that don't know) is more to your liking. Bike week has been bringing in lot's of $$ for the state,the town,and the people that live here for 88 years. This state would do well to try to find a happy medium to keep it going. I've been doing bike weeks for close to 35 years, here,Daytona and Sturgis and any every one of those places depend on the money brought in those weeks,the rest of the year their ghost towns so you put up with a little to keep the rent paid...bottom line.

Ernest Hemmingway
idoso (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #99
Rattlesnake Guy

Ironhorsetim,
I would love to hear your comparison of the three events. I have been to ours and felt perfectly comfortable with my kids in tow. I will never get to see the others in person. Would really enjoy knowing if ours is now vanilla ice cream compared to the others and how much they all have changed for the better or worse over the years. It would seem to this uninformed observer that as motorcycles have grown in popularity in the country, the demographic might have changed as well.

If the event in NH has simply spread out to a larger area, this might be the best of both worlds where more people can share in the cash infusion and the risk of local issues are reduced. To me it would seem the spectacle of the large crowd would be a lot of the attraction to drive here from far away.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #100
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Guys, he asked if I have been to any bike weeks. I know my geography quite well thank you. Ever heardof daytona?

The white trash of Laconia can only dream to be like Key West.

I will enjoy my time in Marco Island spending money there instead of to corrupt and trashy lakes regio businesses too.

Better yet, I hope the open up the drinking so bike week meets its demise sooner.
Maybe Marco Island has a web site you can go to?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (06-25-2011), BroadHopper (06-26-2011), NH_boater (06-25-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (06-25-2011), Shreddy (06-27-2011), TiltonBB (06-27-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-25-2011)