Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Pine Island Guy

Default Pine Island Cams Down Until...

I need to walk out to the island to change the hosting site from Verizon to Fairpoint... hopefully this weekend if the weather is nice

PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Last time I looked last week, it looked like the circulator shut off, and the dock was solidly iced in. How's that 12" ice thickness at the dock? .....lots o luck!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
I need to walk out to the island to change the hosting site from Verizon to Fairpoint... hopefully this weekend if the weather is nice

PIG
Hopefully you will have better luck with the hosting site setup from Verizon to Fairpoint than did many customers with their email setups...

see attached:

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...835/-1/CITIZEN
Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
AC2717

Default oh No

Please hurry, that is my favorite cam!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

This explains why I can not recieved e-mails the past few days.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Pine Island Guy

Default Fairpoint - not good so far

could not get through to tech support for 20 minutes "all lines are busy", and then when i finally did "please hold for the next representative"... been listening to music for over 2 hours now... will try again tonight

PIG

p.s. tried their "live chat" and they said all they do is support email issues (after waiting over an hour for one of them to respond)
Old 02-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Unhappy Not surprising

I have been hearing several sad tales of problems at my work by Verizon Customers on the Seamless, Troublefree Transition to Fairpoint. Long waits, not so sympathetic or empathetic reps, and separate problems with Internet vs email.

My sympathies to all.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
RI Swamp Yankee

Just some thoughts PIG,

Have you tried, or can you, access your camera by IP address instead of URL to make the changes remotely?

Trying to access http://mysite.verizon.net/pineisland/PineIslandGuy.jpg
gives:
The requested resource is currently locked. The lock must be released or proper identification given before the method can be applied.

Can you get in by trying
http://mysite.myfairpoint.net/ which gives a login screen

Trellix Login
Username xxxxxxx @myfairpoint.net
Password xxxxxx

use your Verizon username and Verizon password in place of the xxxxx.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Just some thoughts PIG,

Have you tried, or can you, access your camera by IP address instead of URL to make the changes remotely?

Trying to access http://mysite.verizon.net/pineisland/PineIslandGuy.jpg
gives:
The requested resource is currently locked. The lock must be released or proper identification given before the method can be applied.

Can you get in by trying
http://mysite.myfairpoint.net/ which gives a login screen

Trellix Login
Username xxxxxxx @myfairpoint.net
Password xxxxxx

use your Verizon username and Verizon password in place of the xxxxx.
His camera is most likely like 99% of the other basic/consumer IP cams, it's set to upload images to a remote site (via ftp or an http POST) at a specified interval. Since everything moved over to Fairpoint, the cameras credentials are no longer valid, he doesn't need to access anything on Verizon/Fairpoint, he needs to reconfigure his camera.

If he knew the cameras IP, assuming it was setup to allow remote configuration (and assuming his router was setup with a port map rule to allow outside access in), then he could make those changes on the camera remotely. My guess is that is not the case.

PIG - for future reference, it would probably good to setup a port map on your router to allow you access to the cameras web interface so you could make changes in the future without having to go there in person.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
RI Swamp Yankee

I mentioned that because I have a IP camera looking out at a side street that does a FTP upload like brk-lnt said. I do have a port map to let me log in by IP. It also sends me an email picture twice a day so if I am away, or at work, I can get the IP from the email if my ISP changes it which they seem to do at random intervals.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
Pine Island Guy

Default fairpoint 4, PIG 0

well, I appreciate the advice and suggestions, and you are all correct, now if only Fairpoint would comply!

here's the update (not a Fairpoint bashing, just the facts as I see them)...

Friday night - 2+ hours on hold waiting for "the next available representative" before hanging up in frustration, 1+ hours on "live chat" waiting in queue for a rep, only to be told "we can only handle email issues on chat"

Saturday - only a little over an hour to get to a live rep... a lot of questions, keyboard clicking in the background, "for some reason your site was not automatically migrated from Verizon so I have put in a manual migration request, and it should be done within 24 hours"

Sunday - what a beautiful day for a walk to the island and repoint ftp to my site on fairpoint. I met Misty Blue at the Y-Landing at noon, almost 50 degrees and sunny! We trekked out to the island (pretty slushy on the ice, like walking through wet concrete, but the snowshoes helped). Changed the ftp settings, but alas, the site was not up on Fairpoint yet (technically it had only been 19 hours)... but we had a great time and glad to report the ice eater is working just fine!

Back home Sunday night, it had been over 24 hours and still no "pineisland" user site at Fairpoint, but now only 38 minutes to get a live rep! And he said "I'm sorry for the miscommunication from my colleague, but your site is not set to migrate from Verizon until 2-14-09" (happy Valentine's from Fairpoint). "You should call Verizon and they will "unlock" your account until then"... Quick call to Verizon, rep on the line without a wait, and all set to go... now only if I hadn't changed the ftp settings on the webcam, or if I'd taken the time to set up the inbound port on the router I could change it back to Verizon... but instead I had a great time visiting with Misty Blue's family...

So, we'll see what happens next, but my experience so far with Fairpoint has been anything but "fair" (just my opinion)...

PIG

p.s. note to self - set up a port for remote access, maybe in the spring
Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
Sunbeam lodge

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
could not get through to tech support for 20 minutes "all lines are busy", and then when i finally did "please hold for the next representative"... been listening to music for over 2 hours now... will try again tonight

PIG

p.s. tried their "live chat" and they said all they do is support email issues (after waiting over an hour for one of them to respond)
Boy, theres a subject for a great thread. Trying to get to a company for hours then listening to them tell you how important you are as a customer and then listening to music and bull**** for hours until you get somene in India that can't help you.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote