Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Rattlesnake Guy

Question Please help identify this small snake

Can anyone help us identify the species of snake we found on the island today. It is about 2 feet long. It did not seem to match any of the 11 species shown on the NH fish and game's web site.

Don't watch this if you don't want to see a snake.

Thank you for your help

RG^2
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
Jonas Pilot

My guess is garter snake.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Winni-Retired

I agree ..... Garter Snake
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
WinnDixie

Default Questions?!

I realize , by this close look, that I am obviously too blitzed to even notice markings, if I've been this close!! So: answer: "eeek, I don't know"; questions: "is that YOU, R-Gal, holding that camera so close you're getting in bite range? And where was Mac??" Whew!!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Ayah, a small Garter snake. Absolutely harmless and good to have around, will keep the mice at bay. They are always way more afraid of you that anyone could be of them. Always nice to have a few around the yard.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Island Girl

Definitely a garter snake from the front six inches and the back six inches. The middle pattern is different for a garter snake. It is probably due to a mouse or some other snack in its belly stretching out the markings.

Cessnaair

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
Definitely a garter snake from the front six inches and the back six inches. The middle pattern is different for a garter snake. It is probably due to a mouse or some other snack in its belly stretching out the markings.

Cessnaair
That makes sense. God knows there are plenty of mice to snack on around here. The center section without the top stripe and the hexagon pattern was really throwing us.

Thanks everyone.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Argie's Wife

Absolutely a garter snake... very common. These are the ones I pick up in the yard to chase Argie with... he hates snakes.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Absolutely a garter snake... very common. These are the ones I pick up in the yard to chase Argie with... he hates snakes.
That is not nice.... poor Argie!!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Jonas Pilot

Default Garter snake

This guy was a little worse for wear after one of our cat's got at it. I stuck it in some logs and it was gone the next day.

Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
WinnDixie

Default You're a good guy!

(Well...I'm assuming guy)...that's good of you, Jonas Pilot! Even tho' the shudders overtake me around snakes...they've got to have their place and live, too! We had one in our yard back when we lived up there, and I'd always heard they were good to have in gardens. I gently tried to usher it along toward the garden with a shovel. It got there finally but--let me tell you--it bit the heck out of that shovel on the way!!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #12
Lucky1

Have had snake episodes this year for the first time. Something that looked like the larger snake shown in one of these posts must live in the large rocks on a side of this camp in which I do not usually spend much time. Have seen it come out from under a rock several times. It scares me. I did not feel comfortable going to that side of the camp for a couple of weeks. Now I do go there again and have not seen the snake. Do they move to other areas?

Then I was turning over a kayak for moving for grass cutting and there was a very small snake under it. I assume it went away but that one did not look dangerous at all.

Would anyone tell me what to do to discourage a snake from living near the house? Also would anyone know how I can find out if it is a dangerous snake? It was pretty good size. Several feet for sure.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
AC2717

If you go to trustworthy, or lowes, they have a product that causes snakes to move along with no harm to the snake or anything else
Lucky1 (08-10-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
Kamper

Looks like a "Larry" to me. Or "Laurie." Hard to tell from this angle.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default NH snake info

Here is a good site:
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wild...ame/snakes.htm

Of the 11 species in NH, only the extremely rare rattler is dangerous. There is only one known den left in the state and if it was in your area the locals would have heard about it. The exact location is not published as they are an endangered species in NH.

If over a long time you encountered 100 shakes in NH, the cumulative danger to you would be much less than one drive to the local store and back in your auto.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #16
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Here is a good site:

Of the 11 species in NH, only the extremely rare rattler is dangerous. There is only one known den left in the state and if it was in your area the locals would have heard about it. The exact location is not published as they are an endangered species in NH.

If over a long time you encountered 100 shakes in NH, the cumulative danger to you would be much less than one drive to the local store and back in your auto.
Thanks for that great link! I hope I do not see the snake again but will try to get an idea of its markings if I do. It seems to stay in or under a large rock and comes out to bask in the sun. They may be more than one. There are a number of large old rocks (some with glacier marks that is quite rare I was told) where this snake appears. It seems to go off to some green area then to sun or???
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #17
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Here is a good site:

That den is located in a town south of Concord and it is completely contained on Private Property that is posted. It is quite well known by the locals and one side of my family has been living in that town for the better part of 125 years.

For a fee I can take you on a guided expedition to try and view the snakes as I have a contact at the quarry, a very large fee and I will stand near the gate and point in a general direction for you to look.

Endangered or not, I have never heard of a single story of someone trespassing to catch a glipse of the snakes, wonder why??

Folks are more likely to run into a week ruining spider in NH than a snake that will cause them harm.

Garters will bite if they do not want to be picked up, but their teeth are tiny and they will not hold on like a Python (relax, I am talking about the pet version, they are not native).

And no, under no circumstances will I present the information of where the den is located and yes I am joking about the expedition.

Last edited by jmen24; 08-11-2010 at 01:46 PM.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
Argie's Wife

I scoop up snakes all the time... never been bitten... not sure why folks up here are scared of them. Down south it was a different story.

I was fishing once with Husband 1.0, and watched a snake getting into the river, across the bank from us. It was swimming right to us, so I mentioned it to hubby, who yelled at me to get away from the banking. Turns out it was a water moccasin - all black, nasty looking snake. I learned to have a new respect for snakes... wasn't too keen to go fishing after that, tho.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote