Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
mishman

Default Cell signal Moultonborough Neck/Kona area

After twenty years with Verizon, I am frustrated enough with the cost of their data plan to look for other options. However, since we depend on cell service for our phone service (having dropped our land line a few years ago now), I want to be reasonably certain we will get a good signal with a new carrier. Wondered if TMobile customers are happy in the Moultonborough Neck/Kona area of the lakes region or if there are other carriers with a strong signal that I should consider. Would appreciate any advice/experience that you can offer. Thanks
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Hey, friend! This question comes up all the time on the Winnipesaukee Facebook page, and the consensus is that no other service is remotely as reliable as Verizon in the Lakes Region.

That being said, there are some MVNOs that use Verizon towers that people have had pretty good luck with. The only issue going the MVNO route is that, like Verizon prepaid, they mostly only use Verizon-owned towers as opposed to "standard" Verizon service, which uses both Verizon-owned and Verizon-leased towers. The difference in pricing is often the result of the increased costs of renting tower space.

THAT being said, it appears that Xfinity Mobile, pretty new to the scene, might be A SUPER alternative to this situation. At $12/gig, post-paid (which means you only pay for what you use), with no access fees, people stand to save a lot of money.

Only two issues with Xfinity option: 1. You need to have Comcast internet or TV, and 2. They currently do not have a BYOD program. Supposedly, #2 is very close to a solution.

PS We are in Arcadia, off Moultonborough Neck, and all the other people we've spoken to in our association are on the same page with Verizon vs. other providers.

Godspeed!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
bruinsfan

I have AT&T and am hoping that the new emergency communication agreement the governor signed with a AT&T will improve service in the lakes region. ATT said they wil construct 42 new towers in the state to make sure the network can be used during emergency incidents.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Skip

Bruinsfan, I sat in on (for nearly two years) the technical review committee that unanimously voted against the AT&T plan. We reviewed their proposal, including projected tower additions which, in most cases, are years down the road. IMHO, and those that voted against AT&T, you will see no greater coverage in the Lakes region or most other areas of the State. Verizon remains the vendor of choice for nearly all public safety in NH (and most of the country). That said, as a longtime Comcast customer, if they let me bring in my own device as rumored, I will defintely give them a try!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
After twenty years with Verizon, I am frustrated enough with the cost of their data plan to look for other options.
If all is just cost look at Straight Talk, Net10, or Tracfone.

All use Verizon as carrier in north end of lake.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
nhcatrider

My phone is Verizon and the data plan in my truck is AT&T. That being said, there are some places where one works but the other doesn't. If you have internet at home you can appeal to your cellular carrier and they will get you a phone hotspot which connects to your internet. Some carriers will give the to you, some will have you buy them. One of my friends has one from Verizon and it works well. That might be an option for you.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
bruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Bruinsfan, I sat in on (for nearly two years) the technical review committee that unanimously voted against the AT&T plan. We reviewed their proposal, including projected tower additions which, in most cases, are years down the road. IMHO, and those that voted against AT&T, you will see no greater coverage in the Lakes region or most other areas of the State. Verizon remains the vendor of choice for nearly all public safety in NH (and most of the country). That said, as a longtime Comcast customer, if they let me bring in my own device as rumored, I will defintely give them a try!
Thank you for the information; looks like I'll just have to accept the fact that AT&T will always be bad where I live. Luckily, I use the WIFI calling on my iPhone in the house via Metrocast internet(now Atlantic Broadband).
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote