Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #101
Major

Default Won't Happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You might get a chance to "liking" the orange man, but you won't get a chance to ever vote for him and you can thank Robert Mueller for that.
This won't happen if Republicans retain the House and the Senate. Republicans hold a strong edge in the House (239 to 193). Of the 34 seats up in the Senate for 2018, 26 are held by democrats, and there's a strong chance that Republicans will gain some seats.

For those of us who love Trump and what he's doing, this is encouraging.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #102
Hillcountry

Quote:
You might get a chance to "liking" the orange man, but you won't get a chance to ever vote for him and you can thank Robert Mueller for that.
Says who?? The way things are going, Meuller will be shut down...after a year of investigation and nothing to show for it despite spending millions, it’s nothing but a dem witch hunt....Meuller had his little ducks in a row drooling to bring down the President...how has that worked out??
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #103
ITD

Just remember, you didn't build that. All things good come from the large burdensome government you must support. .......

Major, you are absolutely correct.

Decisions have consequences, if your life sucks, look inward not outward for the reason. It is absolutely still possible to get ahead in this world, but your choices have a lot to do with it. And remember, there is always someone bigger, better, smarter, younger, older, better off, worse off, you name it. Envy sucks and can ruin your life. Figure out what you have, and put it to use. Live within your means and strive to better yourself. To the people who tell you that you can't because the deck is stacked against you.... tell them to screw, they are just looking for company at the bottom.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #104
Major

Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Just remember, you didn't build that. All things good come from the large burdensome government you must support. .......

Major, you are absolutely correct.

Decisions have consequences, if your life sucks, look inward not outward for the reason. It is absolutely still possible to get ahead in this world, but your choices have a lot to do with it. And remember, there is always someone bigger, better, smarter, younger, older, better off, worse off, you name it. Envy sucks and can ruin your life. Figure out what you have, and put it to use. Live within your means and strive to better yourself. To the people who tell you that you can't because the deck is stacked against you.... tell them to screw, they are just looking for company at the bottom.
Amen, brother.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #105
fatlazyless

Here's a noteworthy tax factoid; supposedly, the state and local tax payment deductions have been in use since 1913, when the federal income tax was enacted.

Will go look for more info on this, plus a link to a believable source;

https://taxfoundation.org/state-and-...uction-primer/

and, the federal income tax comes from the 16th Amendment to the U S Constitution which was ratified on Feb 3, 1913;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixtee...s_Constitution so it would seem this new $10,000 limit is a big,

historical tax happening ... like, totally HUGE.

Attention: There must be some who voted enthusiastically for Donald Trump who are now not so enthusiastic with regard to this $10,000-limit of deductibility because it seems to be changing the rules half way through the ball game (sounds like something Ronald Reagan would say).

'Too Much House-2018' ...... what you have if your prop taxes exceed $10,000, starting in 2018 ..... ka-ching!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-28-2017 at 08:35 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #106
AB_Monterey

The IRS will not allow the deduction for prepayment of 2018 taxes unless they have been accessed. An estimated prepayment will be disallowed.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-adv...d-paid-in-2017
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #107
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
The IRS will not allow the deduction for prepayment of 2018 taxes unless they have been accessed. An estimated prepayment will be disallowed.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-adv...d-paid-in-2017
People in Gilford will get a big surprise after they pay two years in advance.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #108
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
People in Gilford will get a big surprise after they pay two years in advance.
Yes, like I said in my previous post, 1 year recommended by my accountant. Do you disagree with that...and if so why? Please explain!

Dan
Old 12-28-2017, 09:39 PM   #109
AB_Monterey

It comes down to when you are accessed by your town. If you haven't been accessed for 2018, the IRS will not allow the prepayment toward 2018 as a deduction.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:19 AM   #110
helpfuldad

Default Pre-paying property taxes

I spoke with Meredith; they will accept prepayments and will apply them to the second (of two) 2018 property tax bills. They must be received by 5PM Friday.

This is without knowing what the IRS may do to counter this strategy or how successful they may be.
helpfuldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:12 AM   #111
fatlazyless

You know ..... here's something to consider ..... instead of prepaying today ....... Friday, December 29, 2017 ...... which is probably the last day to pre-pay because it's a friday ...... why don't you all just mail your 2018 property tax pre-payments to the Trump Organization ..... and eliminate the middle man!

You have to give 'The Don' his due! ...

........................ ...................... fearless Donald

Got too much house in 2018 ....... what to do ..... if you got TooMuchHouse-2018 syndrome and your prop taxes exceed $10,000.....

....lose a bedroom

....lose a bathroom

....lose a sun room

....lose all three; a bedroom, bathroom, sun room ...... all demolished!

....lose some land if you have more than ten acres that's not in 'current use' tax status

...demolish the existing house and replace it with a smaller house, or even a 'cottage' with no real foundation

...liter the yard with an aging pickup truck in effort to lower appraised value.....maybe demolish the garage and replace it with an old pickup with fiberglass cap that gets used for storage ......

wooda, wooda, wooda, wooda, too much house-2018, boo hoo hoo hoo!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-03-2018 at 11:14 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:34 AM   #112
Biggd

More useless drivel from FLL.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #113
Doobs41378

Quote:
More useless drivel from FLL.

Are you surprised?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #114
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
You know ..... here's something to consider ..... instead of prepaying today ....... Friday, December 29, 2017 ...... which is probably the last day to pre-pay ...... why don't you all just mail your 2018 property tax pre-payments to the Trump Organization ..... and eliminate the middle man?

You have to give 'The Don' his due! ...

Got too much house in 2018 ....... what to do ..... if you got TooMuchHouse-2018 syndrome and your prop taxes exceed $10,000.....

....lose a bedroom

....lose a bathroom

....lose a sun room

....lose all three; a bedroom, bathroom, sun room ...... all demolished!

....lose some land if you have more than ten acres that's not in 'current use' tax status

...demolish the existing house and replace it with a smaller house, or even a 'cottage' with no real foundation

...liter the yard with an aging pickup truck in effort to lower appraised value.....maybe demolish the garage and replace it with an old pickup with fiberglass cap that gets used for storage ......

wooda, wooda, wooda, wooda, too much house-2018, boo hoo hoo hoo!
FLL - I love the selective outrage over this.... considering you love the idea of NH having both a sales and income tax? Where is the logic there? I guess if the idea is proposed by those that are of the same political philosophy as you then it's OK but if not it's bad!

Furthermore shame on you to suggest anyone create an yankee yard complete with environmentally unfriendly old pickup trucks that will leech toxic materials into the ground.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #115
tbonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Says who?? The way things are going, Meuller will be shut down...after a year of investigation and nothing to show for it despite spending millions, it’s nothing but a dem witch hunt....Meuller had his little ducks in a row drooling to bring down the President...how has that worked out??
Love the know it alls. The independent investigator is a high integrity guy. Let’s see how it plays out. I think he’s spent about 4 minutes of interest accumulation on the national debt. Let’s stop with the faux outrage.

tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #116
fatlazyless

Here's an eye witness, man-on-the-street , American Eye on Main St view, snapped in Meredith, NH in July, 2018 .....

First, a step back to 2016: So, what were people wearing for baseball caps now that summer was here back in July, 2016 ....... it's the red baseball cap emblazoned "Make America Great Again!".

Same question, two years later .... so, what are people wearing for baseball caps now that summer is here in July, 2018 ......it's the red baseball cap emblazoned "Too Much House!".

Ever since January 1, 2018, when we lost our over-$10,000 federal tax deduction for sales-income & property tax ..... we have "Too Much House!"

Here's a similar thought ..... picture this ..... you catch sight on a new, red bumper sticker on the back of a Porsche suv ......and what does it say ..... "Too Much House!"
Old 12-29-2017, 11:58 AM   #117
Biggd

Quote:
Here's an eye witness, man-on-the-street , American Eye on Main St view, snapped in Meredith, NH in July, 2018 .....

First, a step back to 2016: So, what were people wearing for baseball caps now that summer was here back in July, 2016 ....... it's the red baseball cap emblazoned "Make America Great Again!".

Same question, two years later .... so, what are people wearing for baseball caps now that summer is here in July, 2018 ......it's the red baseball cap emblazoned "Too Much House!".

Ever since January 1, 2018, when we lost our over-$10,000 federal tax deduction for sales-income & property tax ..... we have "Too Much House!"

Here's a similar thought ..... picture this ..... you catch sight on a new, red bumper sticker on the back of a Porsche suv ......and what does it say ..... "Too Much House!"
You poor lonely man!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #118
fatlazyless

Quote:
You poor lonely man!
.....me so poor.....me so lonely ...... wooda wooda wooda......boohoo boohoo boohoo ......think I will go jump in the lake and have a good cry ......oopsie......lake is now frozen solid ice .....so, cannot even do that.... boohoo......will have to settle for ice fishing on thin ice .....do I have to wait until January 1 for the trout and salmon ice season to be legal.....plus get a $47 (45 & 2-handling fee) 2018-fishing license..... poor me! ......maybe I'll catch a happening fish and place it into the outdoor 104-degree hot tub!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #119
MAXUM

Please let the F&G catch you pulling a salmon through the ice! I want to see that on North Woods Law. Also be sure to have on your noodle belt for added viewing pleasure.

It's OK that ticket you get MAY be tax deductible but only for this year - I would suggest prepayment just in case.

Now THAT would make all of America great again to see that!
Old 12-29-2017, 04:42 PM   #120
ITD

Quote:
.....me so poor.....me so lonely ...... wooda wooda wooda......boohoo boohoo boohoo ......think I will go jump in the lake and have a good cry ......oopsie......lake is now frozen solid ice .....so, cannot even do that.... boohoo......will have to settle for ice fishing on thin ice .....do I have to wait until January 1 for the trout and salmon ice season to be legal.....plus get a $47 (45 & 2-handling fee) 2018-fishing license..... poor me! ......maybe I'll catch a happening fish and place it into the outdoor 104-degree hot tub!
Less, have a Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:36 AM   #121
fatlazyless

Default ... 'too much house' Island?

Starting tomorrow, January 1, 2018, will the new $10,000 federal income tax limit for deducting your state's income-sales-property tax payments be a-changing the way homeowners think about their very high priced Governor's Island mega million dollar homes?

Maybe Governor's Island will become Governor's Island aka 'too much house' Island?

...................... .................... fearless Donald
Old 12-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #122
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Starting tomorrow, January 1, 2018, will the new $10,000 federal income tax limit for deducting your state's income-sales-property tax payments be a-changing the way homeowners think about their very high priced Governor's Island mega million dollar homes?

Maybe Governor's Island will become Governor's Island aka 'too much house' Island?

...................... .................... fearless Donald
Less, something tells me that the majority of the property owners on Governors Island have taxable incomes that put them above the threshold for being able to deduct any property taxes anyway. Furthermore, the actual tax dollar savings for high income individuals under the new tax plan will far exceed the minimal loss of not being able to deduct anything over $10,000 on property taxes. Therefore, the joke is on you! MAGA!!!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #123
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Less, something tells me that the majority of the property owners on Governors Island have taxable incomes that put them above the threshold for being able to deduct any property taxes anyway. Furthermore, the actual tax dollar savings for high income individuals under the new tax plan will far exceed the minimal loss of not being able to deduct anything over $10,000 on property taxes. Therefore, the joke is on you! MAGA!!!
Less supports massive tax breaks for the wealthy..... if he didn't he'd be cheering the 10K write off cap. For political purposes in this case it's OK to be hypocritical.

Now if Hillary or Bernie were doing the same thing, it'd be down right brilliant and he'd be a huge fan.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:58 PM   #124
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Less supports massive tax breaks for the wealthy..... if he didn't he'd be cheering the 10K write off cap. For political purposes in this case it's OK to be hypocritical.

Now if Hillary or Bernie were doing the same thing, it'd be down right brilliant and he'd be a huge fan.
You are correct, Maxum. I saw this the other day and had to laugh:

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9997
Old 12-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #125
FlyingScot

Quote:

You misstate the case when you suggest FLL and other Democrats are hypocritical on this. (So blatantly, I'm surprised he didn't call you on it the first time.)

While it's true that many Democrats at all income levels often support higher taxes on the rich, those tax proposals are generally to fund lower taxes for the poor, expanded social programs, or long-term investments.

This tax bill does not do those things. Instead it sends the extra money in question to other rich people and corporations, while creating a huge hole in the national debt.

Actually, if there's any hypocrisy around this bill, it's the Republicans' abandonment of conservative principles on the national debt.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #126
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
You misstate the case when you suggest FLL and other Democrats are hypocritical on this. (So blatantly, I'm surprised he didn't call you on it the first time.)

While it's true that many Democrats at all income levels often support higher taxes on the rich, those tax proposals are generally to fund lower taxes for the poor, expanded social programs, or long-term investments.

This tax bill does not do those things. Instead it sends the extra money in question to other rich people and corporations, while creating a huge hole in the national debt.

Actually, if there's any hypocrisy around this bill, it's the Republicans' abandonment of conservative principles on the national debt.
Where was the outrage and concern over the national debt last 8 years? Oh I guess if your are funding entitlements it's OK.... but I would argue since when does giving anyone something they never paid for directly help them? Those people need a job not another check from Uncle Sam in the mail.

Since we have a progressive tax system in place the higher income brackets pay the most in taxes therefore.... it only stands to reason that any cut in the marginal tax rates across the board will favor those who pay the most. Nothing wrong with that.

That is of course if you actually believe the above statement to be true. Many do not in fact many including the most "celebrated" democrats seem to claim that the wealthy - individuals and businesses pay little or no taxes. That in and of itself shows their utter incompetence. If that is the case, seems that this doesn't benefit the rich at all since they pay nothing in the first place.

So which is it?

In regards to the national debt, there you and I do agree on something, I do not like the fact this country continues to operate in a way where the debt continues to rise however we likely disagree on how to fix that. There is no way to tax into oblivion the "rich" to get us out of the situation we find ourselves in. It will just further weaken our economy and kill more jobs. We need to get this country moving again, get the economy fired back up and make this US based businesses on the world stage more competitive. The only way to do that is to reduce the tax burden on the job creators and create incentive to keep jobs here which will broaden the tax base and reduce the numbers on welfare. We cannot continue to bleed jobs to "low cost" countries and not pay a long term price for that which we already are. So I look at this as an "investment" in the good people and companies of the USA. I guess we'll agree to disagree on who best to receive the benefit of those tax cuts. I prefer to see them target those that will hire more people and innovate new products and services.

Just my .02 cents (tax free)
Old 12-31-2017, 04:34 PM   #127
ITD

Quote:
Where was the outrage and concern over the national debt last 8 years? Oh I guess if your are funding entitlements it's OK.... but I would argue since when does giving anyone something they never paid for directly help them? Those people need a job not another check from Uncle Sam in the mail.

Since we have a progressive tax system in place the higher income brackets pay the most in taxes therefore.... it only stands to reason that any cut in the marginal tax rates across the board will favor those who pay the most. Nothing wrong with that.

That is of course if you actually believe the above statement to be true. Many do not in fact many including the most "celebrated" democrats seem to claim that the wealthy - individuals and businesses pay little or no taxes. That in and of itself shows their utter incompetence. If that is the case, seems that this doesn't benefit the rich at all since they pay nothing in the first place.

So which is it?

In regards to the national debt, there you and I do agree on something, I do not like the fact this country continues to operate in a way where the debt continues to rise however we likely disagree on how to fix that. There is no way to tax into oblivion the "rich" to get us out of the situation we find ourselves in. It will just further weaken our economy and kill more jobs. We need to get this country moving again, get the economy fired back up and make this US based businesses on the world stage more competitive. The only way to do that is to reduce the tax burden on the job creators and create incentive to keep jobs here which will broaden the tax base and reduce the numbers on welfare. We cannot continue to bleed jobs to "low cost" countries and not pay a long term price for that which we already are. So I look at this as an "investment" in the good people and companies of the USA. I guess we'll agree to disagree on who best to receive the benefit of those tax cuts. I prefer to see them target those that will hire more people and innovate new products and services.

Just my .02 cents (tax free)
Why are CBO projections never checked after the fact? The Reagan tax cuts and the GW Bush tax cuts both resulted in substantial increases in taxes collected, this is easily checked. Deficits are a spending problem not a collection problem.

The other issue I have with these tax discussions on fairness is that we have allowed the progressives and media to shape the discussion. These cuts are termed unfair because people who pay little or no taxes get little or no money back when you cut taxes because they are not paying the taxes being cut in the first place. We are on an unsustainable path with these deficits and the solution is not tax increases, the solution is spending control.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:49 PM   #128
Biggd

You wish, I doubt it will change the buying habits of the top 1% one bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 12-31-2017, 05:59 PM   #129
Garcia

What people forget about the Reagan tax cuts are two fold. First, they did not generate the increased revenue hoped for and deficits grew (and yes, I know that spending is an issue in and of itself, but it is worth noting that politicians and the people who put them into office do not have the stomach to seriously cut spending, but that is a different conversation). Second, by the time his presidency was over he had increased taxes through broadening the tax base and closing so called loopholes. Economists on both sides of the aisle, if you want to believe them, support this.

The bigger issue for me is the deficit these tax cuts bring. They will ultimately do more harm than good because deficits matter - and not only do the tax cuts not pay for themselves, they significantly add to the deficit. We can argue the point, as can politicians, but the problem won’t become apparent to the masses for years - at which point those in office will come up with another short-term, feel good fix and kick the can down the road yet again. What’s the answer? I don’t know. I will benefit from the new tax cuts, but I fear the long term effect on the country.
Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #130
MAXUM

Quote:

There is an important distinction to make here, it's belongs to them and what they do with it, spend it or not is up to them not you, me or the federal government! However this does beg the question, if they don't spend it what do they do with it that is so harmful? After all they are either saving it or more likely investing it. Where is the down side to that? In fact whether saved or invested they will be taxed on gains anyways.

What fuels the economy isn't all about retail sales!
Old 12-31-2017, 06:47 PM   #131
jeffk

Quote:
There is an important distinction to make here, it's belongs to them and what they do with it, spend it or not is up to them not you, me or the federal government! However this does beg the question, if they don't spend it what do they do with it that is so harmful? After all they are either saving it or more likely investing it. Where is the down side to that? In fact whether saved or invested they will be taxed on gains anyways.

No, no. I am sure Bill Gates has all his money stuffed into mattresses in his huge house so it does no good to the economy. /s
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:35 AM   #132
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
No, no. I am sure Bill Gates has all his money stuffed into mattresses in his huge house so it does no good to the economy. /s
Actually, a huge portion of Gates' money is invested in education because he understands that not everyone is born with the same opportunities.

"Limited opportunity for too many young people results in dramatically lower life prospects for them and a worse quality of life for all of us." --Gates Foundation

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #133
jeffk

He can use HIS money however he wishes. Money, BTW, that was generated from business activity and will probably increase as the economy grows. He can then give that new money away if he wishes to.

The key word is INVESTED. People are hired, buildings are rented or built, computers and supplies are ordered, other products are purchased, they pay electric, water and sewerage bills, and building maintenance. People working on the project travel, stay at hotels, go to restaurants to eat. The workers spin off their own economic activity; paying taxes, buying houses, cars, boats, some living the lives of the "5%". The ultimate outcome of Gate's intent, if successful, is people who are smart enough to work at yet other businesses and pay their taxes, housing costs, etc. from their earnings.

In short, even though the purpose of his education efforts may be "charitable", it carries out business activities to achieve them. Further, every dollar invested, if you follow it back to its source, comes FROM a business activity. The outcome is people prepared to WORK in society, some for Gate's companies.

COMMERCE undergirds EVERYTHING.

The raw goal of commerce is to make more money. That money is used to fuel the innumerable and dynamic goals of the billions of people on the planet. No money, the goals suffer and even fail, even to the levels of individual starvation. Unchained commerce yields more money for all purposes, even for those who want to invest it in education.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #134
FlyingScot

Quote:

Maxum--an excellent question and a great point. I agree that it's all about retail sales.

As BiggD points out, the rich save much more than others as a percent of income. There's plenty of data on this, and it all points in the same direction.
As you can see in the link below, the middle quintile saves 11% of their income and the top 1% saves 51% of their income. So if a trillion dollar tax cut goes to the middle class, $890 billion gets spent, driving retail sales. But if we give a trillion dollar break to the top 1%, only $490 billion gets spent retail. So the best way to drive retail is to give the tax break to those still struggling financially.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...e-level-2013-3
Old 01-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #135
ITD

Yes, yes, I think I see now, the rich steal all the poor people's money, that's how they get rich, makes perfect sense.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #136
jeffk

Quote:
Maxum--an excellent question and a great point. I agree that it's all about retail sales.

As BiggD points out, the rich save much more than others as a percent of income. There's plenty of data on this, and it all points in the same direction.
As you can see in the link below, the middle quintile saves 11% of their income and the top 1% saves 51% of their income. So if a trillion dollar tax cut goes to the middle class, $890 billion gets spent, driving retail sales. But if we give a trillion dollar break to the top 1%, only $490 billion gets spent retail. So the best way to drive retail is to give the tax break to those still struggling financially.

Many of those truly struggling financially don't pay income taxes anyway so a "break" for them does nothing for them or the economy.

As to thinking that invested money doesn't help retail, that is naive. Companies that receive investments are able to hire more people or raise salaries or buy equipment (allowing other companies to hire people) to increase productivity that then allows them to raise salaries. Many of the recipients of those increases are NOT rich and spend the extra money they just got. We just had a banner sales year for Christmas. That was very likely fueled simply by the anticipation of better economic (business) times including personal benefits improving. Those $1000 bonuses we are reading about are buying TVs, home improvements, etc. Those bonuses are fueled by tax breaks and by anticipation of new investment money coming in from rich people who got tax breaks.

Investment is an essential part of the economy and directly and indirectly allows people to buy things.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #137
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Yes, yes, I think I see now, the rich steal all the poor people's money, that's how they get rich, makes perfect sense.
Bingo! A perfect argument for mandatory redistribution of wealth.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #138
MAXUM

Quote:

No what I said is it is NOT all about retail sales. If it were there would be no need for venture capitol firms and the stock market for that matter.

Investment is the lifeblood of all business.

However I'm a bit shocked that you would favor big business. Odd all things considered. Think about it if you give money to those that are going to go out and immediately spend it who does that favor? Ah the already established "big businesses" that your political philosophy regularly chastises. What about the small guy, maybe the startup that is working on something new and innovative who may not be operating on a profit and strictly on investment capitol. Guess those companies and all their employees don't matter! Who do you think funds these? Not the guy living paycheck to paycheck.

Dividing wealth doesn't create more, and when it's all gone then what?
Old 01-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #139
Garcia

Here are some facts - over the past couple decades, the income gap between those at the top and the rest of the population has grown exponentially. The national debt continues to increase at rates that are not sustainable. The biggest corporations and their leadership have had the most profitable period of growth in modern times.

These tax cuts are not going to fix any of the above. What do they mean for me? I will make out well. My income will go up allowing me to continue to make smart investments. Companies I invest in will, I hope, buy back stock and increase their dividends which will help me build more wealth. I already have plenty of money for consumer goods (and have too much "stuff" already) so my money will not be spent at the local Walmart. I think time will show there are more of the tax cut recipients like me than there are those who are increasing wages. Reagan's trickle down economics didn't work in the 80's and it won't work today. The Just Say No to drugs campaign was a similar failure, but I bet that gets resurrected as well!

Last edited by Garcia; 01-01-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:56 PM   #140
FlyingScot

Quote:
No what I said is it is NOT all about retail sales. If it were there would be no need for venture capitol firms and the stock market for that matter.

Investment is the lifeblood of all business.

However I'm a bit shocked that you would favor big business. Odd all things considered. Think about it if you give money to those that are going to go out and immediately spend it who does that favor? Ah the already established "big businesses" that your political philosophy regularly chastises. What about the small guy, maybe the startup that is working on something new and innovative who may not be operating on a profit and strictly on investment capitol. Guess those companies and all their employees don't matter! Who do you think funds these? Not the guy living paycheck to paycheck.

Dividing wealth doesn't create more, and when it's all gone then what?
Sorry for misquoting you.

Starting again from your post--I've spent over 20 years in venture capital, both as an investor and an entrepreneur putting in every spare penny of cash flow. From an venture investor perspective, this tax bill is friendly in that in maintains the carried interest loophole that so many in both parties dislike as unfair, and it opens up a new pass-through entity tax break. Yea! We'll be even richer!

But for an entrepreneur at a venture-backed company, there is very little here to like. They could have benefitted from accelerated depreciation on capital expenditures, or a tax credit for new job creation, just for example. And as someone who's been on both sides on the investor-entrepreneur table, it makes me laugh to think that tax breaks for the VCs will make entrepreneurs lives easier.

Garcia has it right on the destination for the tax savings.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #141
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Many of those truly struggling financially don't pay income taxes anyway so a "break" for them does nothing for them or the economy.
This right here.
No way should ANYONE get welfare for life because they CHOSE to have 12-15 kids and not work! We need to define a shorter term for welfare recipients. After 2 kids.... You are out of the program. You do not get 4, 5, 7 tries.

Quote:
As to thinking that invested money doesn't help retail, that is naive. Companies that receive investments are able to hire more people or raise salaries or buy equipment (allowing other companies to hire people) to increase productivity that then allows them to raise salaries. Many of the recipients of those increases are NOT rich and spend the extra money they just got. We just had a banner sales year for Christmas. That was very likely fueled simply by the anticipation of better economic (business) times including personal benefits improving. Those $1000 bonuses we are reading about are buying TVs, home improvements, etc. Those bonuses are fueled by tax breaks and by anticipation of new investment money coming in from rich people who got tax breaks.

Investment is an essential part of the economy and directly and indirectly allows people to buy things.
Oh my
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #142
Flylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
This right here.
No way should ANYONE get welfare for life because they CHOSE to have 12-15 kids and not work! We need to define a shorter term for welfare recipients. After 2 kids.... You are out of the program. You do not get 4, 5, 7 tries.

Oh my
Outdoorman....where do you get your informtion? As I see it the most conservative Republicans are pro-birth, not pro-life. Women must have children, but no one cares what happens to those children once born. Seems to me if the government does not want to support children they should not force women to have them
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #143
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
Outdoorman....where do you get your informtion? As I see it the most conservative Republicans are pro-birth, not pro-life. Women must have children, but no one cares what happens to those children once born. Seems to me if the government does not want to support children they should not force women to have them
You are spot on!

Our leaders profess to be Christians and probably know what the bible says about having children, here is one of many verses that are in the bible:

"Psalm 127:3-5
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate."
Old 01-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #144
MAXUM

Quote:
Sorry for misquoting you.

Starting again from your post--I've spent over 20 years in venture capital, both as an investor and an entrepreneur putting in every spare penny of cash flow. From an venture investor perspective, this tax bill is friendly in that in maintains the carried interest loophole that so many in both parties dislike as unfair, and it opens up a new pass-through entity tax break. Yea! We'll be even richer!

But for an entrepreneur at a venture-backed company, there is very little here to like. They could have benefitted from accelerated depreciation on capital expenditures, or a tax credit for new job creation, just for example. And as someone who's been on both sides on the investor-entrepreneur table, it makes me laugh to think that tax breaks for the VCs will make entrepreneurs lives easier.

Garcia has it right on the destination for the tax savings.
I won't begin to say that bill is perfect, a lot more could have been done and certainly some things differently - you do make some good points too in highlighting it's shortcomings, however as a whole I believe it will be beneficial. Time will tell what's done is done.

We could probably argue the merits of various aspects of this till we crash the web master's server for chewing up to much space! However I think this illustrates one thing, and I nod my head to you and others who have made your points eloquently and in a reasonable manner, opinions vary! It's nice to have a rational discussion about them from varying points of view in a civilized manner. To bad the fruitcakes in DC can't do the same, and that I think it something we all can agree on!!!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #145
MAXUM

Quote:
You are spot on!

Our leaders profess to be Christians and probably know what the bible says about having children, here is one of many verses that are in the bible:

"Psalm 127:3-5
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate."
True - but alas the bible also says this!

Second Thessalonians 3:10-12 “For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.”
Old 01-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #146
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
The government is not forcing women to have children. There are plenty of choices, among them birth control or abstinence. "Women must have children"? That is a choice, not a mandatory requirement for anyone.

Welfare was once a safety net but it has become a hammock and a way of life rife with fraud that continues through generations. The government must come up with a way to wean people off of it rather than continue to make it easy and more lucrative than having a job.

Section 8 housing is another widely abused government handout. As a landlord, I have had approximately 35 tenants who have had their rent paid or subsidized by the government. After getting to know their situation I would say 5 of them needed some help, the rest were scamming the system. Despite making numerous reports about the fraud, I could get no action from anyone in the system. The people administering the welfare programs depend on clients for job security. They have no interest in cleaning it up.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #147
ITD

Quote:
I hear this canard all the time, I'm always amazed at the convolutions people will twist themselves into and the lies they make up to justify killing babies. I see variations on the above progressive talking point all the time and it is very dishonest. The people who repeat it are either dishonest themselves or very misinformed.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:36 AM   #148
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

This train has certainly jumped off the tracks.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #149
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
This train has certainly jumped off the tracks.

Agreed. But the subject and discussion revolved around taxes and where this thread has gone is certainly related to taxes.

If anyone would like an example of how misinformed people are about taxes being the source of funds for government you need only listen to this. The end is astonishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85hzg2SMF9U
Old 01-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #150
joey2665

Uneducated and misinformed to say the least. It is a shame there are many like this. No matter what side of the fence you reside on everyone should at least be educated enough to have an intelligent discussion and form an opinion based on facts.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:25 AM   #151
Biggd

When people start quoting the bible in a thread about taxes, I,m outa here!

Old 01-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #152
Rusty

Quote:
True - but alas the bible also says this!

Second Thessalonians 3:10-12 “For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.”
I agree with that quote but it doesn't take away from the fact that we will always take care of children whether it's from taxes or charity.

Supposedly more clarity and guidance about the new tax bill is going to come out in the next few weeks.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #153
Garcia

Just curious - how many people are aware that over 90% of all entitlement money goes to seniors, the disabled, or members of working households? Not saying reforms aren't needed, they are, but the idea that the vast majority of entitlement spending goes to able-bodied people who choose not to work is misinformed and quite wrong.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #154
FlyingScot

Quote:
I won't begin to say that bill is perfect, a lot more could have been done and certainly some things differently - you do make some good points too in highlighting it's shortcomings, however as a whole I believe it will be beneficial. Time will tell what's done is done.

We could probably argue the merits of various aspects of this till we crash the web master's server for chewing up to much space! However I think this illustrates one thing, and I nod my head to you and others who have made your points eloquently and in a reasonable manner, opinions vary! It's nice to have a rational discussion about them from varying points of view in a civilized manner. To bad the fruitcakes in DC can't do the same, and that I think it something we all can agree on!!!
Agreed--Cheers!
Old 01-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #155
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Just curious - how many people are aware that over 90% of all entitlement money goes to seniors, the disabled, or members of working households? Not saying reforms aren't needed, they are, but the idea that the vast majority of entitlement spending goes to able-bodied people who choose not to work is misinformed and quite wrong.
Hmmm, your numbers sound off, but even so, 10% fraud rate is pretty substantial and a great place to start cutting.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #156
Garcia

Quote:
Hmmm, your numbers sound off, but even so, 10% fraud rate is pretty substantial and a great place to start cutting.
My numbers are on the conservative side - and while yes there is fraud and waste, one cannot simply assume that every able bodied person on welfare is abusing the system. A starting point for reform? Yes. But, a drop in the bucket when we look at the overall cost and the impact on the national debt.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #157
TiltonBB

Quote:
Entitlement Programs also include Social Security, Medicare and Unemployment insurance. I am not against any AMERICAN with a legitimate claim who has paid into the system utilizing the available benefits through Medicare, Social Security, or Unemployment. There are numerous examples of phony disability claims for Social Security which also entitles the recipient to Medicare at an early age.

Welfare makes up 10% of the entire Federal budget and in my opinion, based on my experience, 90% of the people collecting should be and could be working. There have been numerous examples of people using the cash portion of their benefits on cruise ships and at casinos. There is something about that that that makes me think these people aren't too needy.

A close friend had a part time employee and he offered to upgrade her to full time. She declined saying it would screw up her welfare. These things are happening every day across the country. The system has made it too easy to take the free ride.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #158
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Entitlement Programs also include Social Security, Medicare and Unemployment insurance. I am not against any AMERICAN with a legitimate claim who has paid into the system utilizing the available benefits through Medicare, Social Security, or Unemployment. There are numerous examples of phony disability claims for Social Security which also entitles the recipient to Medicare at an early age.

Welfare makes up 10% of the entire Federal budget and in my opinion, based on my experience, 90% of the people collecting should be and could be working. There have been numerous examples of people using the cash portion of their benefits on cruise ships and at casinos. There is something about that that that makes me think these people aren't too needy.

A close friend had a part time employee and he offered to upgrade her to full time. She declined saying it would screw up her welfare. These things are happening every day across the country. The system has made it too easy to take the free ride.
The last point is valid and shows why the system needs to be reformed. I also know someone who declined full time work as it would throw off her benefits. For her, she would make less, and be further below the poverty line, if she worked full time than part time with SNAP benefits. She is perfectly willing to work full time and have her benefits adjusted so that she is not worse off working full-time, but the program won't do that.

Regardless, these are eye-catching examples of a broken system that help to prove individual points and perspectives but do very little to address the real problem. I don't know the answer, but I wonder how much could be put back into the federal government if we clamped down on both corporations and individuals who are abusing the federal tax codes (and the medicare/medicaid billing process) through fraud? My guess, and it is just that, is that from an economic point of view our country would be better off chasing down those dollars.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #159
Garcia

A quick look says that the uncollected taxes amount to $400 billion annually with $235 billion spent annually on programs to support the nonworking poor. Quick math shows how we can continue to offer welfare and still come out $165 billion ahead! How do we make this happen?
Old 01-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #160
joey2665

Quote:
A quick look says that the uncollected taxes amount to $400 billion annually with $235 billion spent annually on programs to support the nonworking poor. Quick math shows how we can continue to offer welfare and still come out $165 billion ahead! How do we make this happen?
The welfare system needs a complete overhaul to reduce the abuse of the system.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #161
TiltonBB

Default A Billion Here

If they are looking to increase the tax income they could get the first $1 Billion here:

https://oversight.house.gov/release/...owe-1-billion/
Old 01-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #162
Irish mist

Can't say that I'm sad to see the new 1.4 percent tax on university endowments in this plan. About 60 wealthy colleges will be subjected to this tax. Harvard is expected to cough up 43 million dollars on its 37 billion dollar endowment.

When you allow your university to become nothing but propaganda- mills don't be shocked when the party you have been targeting with your agitprop targets you. I've always been in the camp that churches & universities need to be taxed on property & investments like the rest of us. So I find this new tax a good start.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #163
AB_Monterey

Quote:

That's what Clinton thought....and then people stopped buying yachts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.e54ce0e391b5

Why are liberals always shocked when people act in their own self-interest?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #164
Rusty

The President was asked today what he was going to do about the deficit, and his reply was:
"I'm going to give it to the poor".
Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #165
ITD

Quote:
The President was asked today what he was going to do about the deficit, and his reply was:
"I'm going to give it to the poor".
Is that true Rusty? Actually, "the poor" will be the first to suffer if it hits the fan due to the deficit.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #166
Seaplane Pilot

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
That's what Clinton thought....and then people stopped buying yachts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.e54ce0e391b5

Why are liberals always shocked when people act in their own self-interest?
Liberals also don’t like facts that expose how wrong they are. “Nothing to see here folks...move along...”
Old 01-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #167
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Liberals also don’t like facts that expose how wrong they are. “Nothing to see here folks...move along...”
True - but neither do conservatives, independents, capitalists, politicians, our current President, and most likely most of us.