Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
jacka82942

Unhappy meredith post office

I started forwarding my mail to an apartment in nashua while i was away. our property bill for meredith which was mailed october 30th showed up yesterday along with a whole bunch of other items. the same thing happened last year. my daughters xmas gifts showed up in the middle of january.
how do we get these government bureaucrats straightened out?
any advise
jacka82942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:40 AM   #2
garysanfran

Default Every time I go to the PO...

It reminds me of the old Soviet Union...
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
phoenix

I have had numerous similar problems when we transfer mail for the summer from phoenix. Many times the mail would never come and be sent back return to sender. I complained many times and once the post office said well we process a billion pieces we cant get them all correct. I have never had a problem on the moultonboro side. I was tolf in Phoenix that the process is manual and controlled my the individual carrier . One summer the carrier went on vacation for two weeks and we got zero mail and all was returned to the sender as no forwarding address .
Old 12-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Default ... 03253 super service!

Got to heap some praise here on the Meredith P.O. 03253 ..... for twenty five years it has never ever even made one little mistake .... the mail gets delivered perfectly .....every day .... in every way .... my mail gets to me ... with no problems ..... every time ..... they get it done like a highly talented team!

And, ya know the front window guy didn't miss a beat when I asked to get my pickleball racquet weighed on their accurate scale ...... 8.8 oz ..... just so I'd know how much it actually weighs ...... a very important piece of info!
Old 12-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Mail Forwarding

The forwarding in our area of NH is done in Manchester and they do a lousy job. One year while I had a forward in place from NH to Florida I didn't get any mail for 6 weeks. When I complained, the Laconia Postmaster told me it was not their fault, the forwarding is done in Manchester. My protest that it was still the Post Office seemed to fall on deaf ears. There have been times, when I was in NH and had no forward order in place that my properly addressed mail was sent back marked "Return to sender, unable to forward".

The opposite is true when forwarding from Florida to NH. It has always been efficient and timely. I try to change many of the addresses but I usually miss a few. I have called the local Post Office in Florida with questions and they have always been very helpful.

Different areas, different attitudes.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
Woody38

Mail forwarding can be iffy. Back in the really snowy winter (2010 + somewhere) we forwarded our mail and never saw a piece of mail all winter despite several inquiries. Apparently it is still somewhere in space.
Thus the remedy. Do Premium Forwarding, which is expensive, however the mail does arrive. Our P.O. sends the mail out mid week and we get our mail on Friday.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Why not notify all your regular mailers with your new address so it goes direct without the need for a forward.

Most likely, recipients are self motivated to notify regular mailers who pay you rent or dividend checks with your new address and don't rely so much on the Post Office for forwarding. Everyone likes to take it in a whole lot more than they like to dish it out. You send the money here, now, understand.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
TheTimeTraveler

Default Mail Forwarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacka82942 View Post
I started forwarding my mail to an apartment in nashua while i was away. our property bill for meredith which was mailed october 30th showed up yesterday along with a whole bunch of other items. the same thing happened last year. my daughters xmas gifts showed up in the middle of january.
any advise

The Post Office now offers a service called "Premium Forwarding" in which the original destination Post Office will pack up all your mail into a Priority Mailing Box and send it to you every Wednesday.

The service isn't free, but well worth it. You will get every piece of mail addressed to you without any hassle. You can expect receipt of it every Friday or Saturday each week.

I've used the service and it is very satisfactory!

TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:12 AM   #9
ApS

Question Maybe Baksheesh Will Work?

Generally speaking, when I fill out the change of address form, I run it by a Wolfeboro USPS clerk, so they can verify its accuracy.

However, in recent years, I can't be sure of delivery. This year, my Florida Post Office said "Your mail is on the truck".

"What does that mean?", I ask.

"Your mail is being transferred back and forth, and never leaves the USPS truck".

Fortunately, there is a special yellow USPS form that a post office can fill out to stop that kind of re-circulating. When that form was filled out—upon arrival in Florida—mail was redistributed correctly in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Why not notify all your regular mailers with your new address so it goes direct without the need for a forward. Most likely, recipients are self motivated to notify regular mailers who pay you rent or dividend checks with your new address and don't rely so much on the Post Office for forwarding. Everyone likes to take it in a whole lot more than they like to dish it out. You send the money here, now, understand.
I like the suggestion of "Premium Forwarding", but it sounds too much like an unnecessary band-aid—and too much like a bribe.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #10
jacka82942

Default premium forwarding

how much does it cost. any experience on how well it works
Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #11
dpg

Couple suggestions.....Either get the "special priority forwarding service" or can't you just let it go to one address or the other and have someone forward it? Do you folks have children, friends, etc at one or the other locations who can do this for you maybe once a week? Most things you should really care about can probably be delivered to you electronically also. By the fact that you're even on this website tells me you probably at least own a computer and are computer literate enough to pay things electronically. In todays world why are you manually forwarding things to different places? I'm a few years away from 60 and if I retire then as planned I'll (hopefully) run into this problem then but I will not manually change it to different locations.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #12
rsmlp

Quote:
any advise
I get as little by mail as possible and 95% junk-which thankfully is NOT forwarded. Why not have your property bill (and all others) emailed? We live in Moultonboro and have been getting ebills for over a year now.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
jbolty

why not have your mail delivered to a box at a postal annex type store? For a small fee they can hold, sort and bulk forward anything important or open and read it to you.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #14
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
why not have your mail delivered to a box at a postal annex type store? For a small fee they can hold, sort and bulk forward anything important or open and read it to you.
I wouldn't be too excited about other people opening my mail. That would give them access to personal information, including financial information and account numbers. It would make you ripe for ID theft. You never know the background and quality of people who work at these places.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #15
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I wouldn't be too excited about other people opening my mail. That would give them access to personal information, including financial information and account numbers. It would make you ripe for ID theft. You never know the background and quality of people who work at these places.
In todays world there is no reason on earth to have bills or bank statements delivered by mail.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #16
thebix

Default Careful, Email is not a guaranteed delivery protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
In todays world there is no reason on earth to have bills or bank statements delivered by mail.
Unless you want to be sure you receive the bill or statement.

https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...deliverability

The way it's commonly used, email is a non-confirming message delivery protocol. This means that there is no guarantee that any given email sent from you will be delivered to its intended recipients. Delivery is based on assumption and acceptance by the relay server to complete the function. Additionally, once the relay server has accepted the email for delivery there are a number of things that may prevent the email from making its way to the recipient.

Occasionally, a server will provide what is known as a "bounce-back" email, letting the sending server know that the email can not be delivered and why. Many servers will not provide these as part of an effort to provide potential spammers with as little information as possible about their internal processes.

With a proliferation of spam emails, an increasing number of ISPs have been forced to implement more stringent restrictions on delivery, as well as focus more on filtering out spam traffic. This makes it increasingly difficult for them to effectively do their jobs without occasionally suspending a legitimate email along the way. Luckily, these systems can be self-correcting and there are steps that can be taken to assist them in the difficult job that they do. Both individual providers and the Federal Trade Commission have made efforts to reduce the overall effect of spam. However, the open nature of email as a communication protocol suggests that it will very likely always represent a problem.

https://superuser.com/questions/8971...-silently-fail

Can an email delivery silently fail ever, with the sender receiving no notification whatsoever about the failed delivery?

Doesn't the SMTP protocol guarantee email delivery, or at least a failed delivery notification to the sender?

No, SMTP has no delivery guarantees (you can check it yourself in RFC 5321):

There are mechanisms glued on to the SMTP protocol and associated programs for ensuring delivery (DSN, Return Receipts). Note that these themselves are best-effort / mutual cooperation extensions (Most mail clients let you elect not to send read receipts, and some clients can't issue a read receipt. Some MTAs can't/won't issue a delivery receipt.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #17
jbolty

snail mail isn't guaranteed delivery either. with online banking, email, auto reminders and auto pay forgetting to pay something or claiming to have not gotten the bill is not a valid excuse any more.

FYI, I do software development and IT management for a large law firm that specializes in debt collection.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #18
Newbiesaukee

We have been forwarding mail from FL to NH for about 15 years with rare but real problems. As others have said, we get almost all of our bills by email and change addresses on credit cards online. I don’t like autopay but use it for condo fees which are fixed.

The errors in forwarding have almost always been when the mail deliverer in FL is changed or on vacation and does not realize that we are not there. It should not depend on this but it does. The post office in FL almost never answers the phone, so no help there.

This past year we moved between homes in FL complicating all this so we used premium forwarding. You get everything junk mail and all...the cost if I recall was about 450 dollars for 5 months. This worked except when it did not. Fortunately the people who bought our FL house were kind enough to send mail delivered to our old house directly to us at their expense....but can’t always rely on the “kindness of strangers.”

The bottom line is that nothing is perfect but I don’t wail about gross incompetence, uncaring workers....usually stuff just happens.

A small price to pay for the privilege of moving between 2 beautiful locations.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #19
mishman

Default improved forwarding to FL

For several years we have had serious problems with the local NH post office (I won't name names) not being able to follow simple directions (and the properly filled out forms) to forward our mail. We had to call repeatedly, the NH PO never admitted anything and then presto, we received several priority mail boxes stuffed with nearly two months of mail.
We have solved this problem by going on line at USPS.gov and filling out the forwarding form there and include our credit card ($1 charged). For some reason, this works incredibly well and for the last two years we have not had any problems. There is still about a week delay in getting our forwarded mail but that is acceptable.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #20
phoenix

I have always used this method which i think elliminates one variable but as least for me it didnt solve the problem i had with the phoenix post office forwarding my mail to NH.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #21
TheProfessor

Quote:
any advise
Easily Solved.

1. Pick up Flat Rate Priority Mail envelopes. Self address all.
2. Pay for postage (stamps) and place on envelopes.
3. Have a neighbor, friend, or relative pick up your mail.
4. Have a neighbor, friend, or relative place your mail in the prepaid Priority Mail envelopes.
5. Have your neighbor, friend, or relative go to post office and mail to you the Priority Mail envelopes with your mail in it to you directly.
6. Have your neighbor, friend, or relative email or text to you the tracking number.
7. Have your neighbor, friend, or relative send your Priority Mail envelope with your mail in it once per week or whatever time length you wish.
8. Done.

Oh . . . but this costs money and it is not free. Well . . . continue to complain . . . your choice.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #22
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Easily Solved.

1. Pick up Flat Rate Priority Mail envelopes. Self address all.
2. Pay for postage (stamps) and place on envelopes.
3. Have a neighbor, friend, or relative pick up your mail.
4. Have a neighbor, friend, or relative place your mail in the prepaid Priority Mail envelopes.
5. Have your neighbor, friend, or relative go to post office and mail to you the Priority Mail envelopes with your mail in it to you directly.
6. Have your neighbor, friend, or relative email or text to you the tracking number.
7. Have your neighbor, friend, or relative send your Priority Mail envelope with your mail in it once per week or whatever time length you wish.
8. Done.

Oh . . . but this costs money and it is not free. Well . . . continue to complain . . . your choice.
1. That assumes that you have a "neighbor, friend, or relative" who will be in the area

2. That assumes that your "neighbor, friend, or relative is willing to do you favors all winter long. ( I wouldn't burden someone with this)

3. That assumes that you have a neighbor that is not a seasonal resident.

PS. I am glad we are not neighbors!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #23
Woody38

Default online forwarding

There is only one problem with online forwarding of mail. The credit card used as I found out has to be of the same address as the address the mail is forwarded from. Thus, if you are a 2nd home owner and wish to forward that mail, your credit card has to have that same address.

Therefore, "Priority Mail" is best but expensive. Something like $17 weekly.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:24 AM   #24
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
There is only one problem with online forwarding of mail. The credit card used as I found out has to be of the same address as the address the mail is forwarded from. Thus, if you are a 2nd home owner and wish to forward that mail, your credit card has to have that same address.
I do the forward before I change the CC address. I also change my credit card billing addresses and anything else I think of, even magazines. Some publishing companies represent more than one magazine and will change them all in one call. I just put the forward on for any mail I didn't think of or anticipate.

One thing to watch for: There are several sites that attempt to look like the Post Office but they will charge you about $30 instead of $1. One site even charges a monthly fee for all of the months the forward is in place.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #25
Rusty

Quote:
any advise
You are asking for an impossible task.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #26
phoenix

When i forward at end of summer i use the credit card in phoenix with no problem. I think you have to have an address for one or the other
Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #27
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
PS. I am glad we are not neighbors!
Apparently some folks just love to complain.

No neighbors, friends, or relatives ? Hmmmm . . . . . .
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #28
MeredithMan

Default usps.com....

.....is easy-peasy. My in-laws go to FL from Nov to end April. I go on-line and have their mail forwarded to their FL address, then once the expiration date hits, their mail stays in MA at their primary address. The nominal $1 charge to the credit card is USPS's way of verifying that the Forwarder truly wants their mail forwarded, and it is not a disgruntled friend or relative doing something nefarious.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #29
Merrymeeting

I've run into the credit card address issue before, but as far as I know, they fixed it sometime last spring as it wasn't an issue when we were coming back.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #30
jacka82942

Cool and you just like to show how smart u are

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Apparently some folks just love to complain.

No neighbors, friends, or relatives ? Hmmmm . . . . . .
and you just like to show how smart you are