Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
C-Bass

Thumbs up Moultonborough Prop tax

Looks like it went from $8.74/per thousand to $8.22/per thousand. My assessed value went up slightly but, overall knocked off a few hundred bucks off the property taxes this year.. Glad to be in Moultonborough.
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
garysanfran

Default Meredith taxes...UP!!!

Went UP...Again. I'm not sure why.

The costs of operating the town didn't go up because the value of the town's properties went up.

New Hampshire needs Prop 13. It has done wonders in California...for the people...not for the Government. There is a difference.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Dickie B from HB

Default prop 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Went UP...Again. I'm not sure why.

The costs of operating the town didn't go up because the value of the town's properties went up.

New Hampshire needs Prop 13. It has done wonders in California...for the people...not for the Government. There is a difference.
If it wasn't for prop 13 I would have been homeless 40 years ago.
Dickie B from HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
garysanfran

Default Voters should start a movement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie B from HB View Post
If it wasn't for prop 13 I would have been homeless 40 years ago.
Unfortunately, most of the members on the "Forum" can't vote! Most of the "expensive" homes are owned by non-voters. We are governed with no representation.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Doobs41378

Quote:
Unfortunately, most of the members on the "Forum" can't vote! Most of the "expensive" homes are owned by non-voters. We are governed with no representation.

I still think Moultonborough has some of the lowest taxes in the state. Imagine what you’d be in Gilford!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
sky's

Just need to make sure all the "valuable" water front is occupied. I love seeing people over a million for water front. I say to myself thanks for paying my property tax.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

I know I have said it before but I wonder how high the property taxes can keep going before people finally say it isn't worth it to pay that much in taxes for a few months a year. Do you think there is a point or will people always keep paying more. Do you think the selectmen ever think about that when they keep spending and spending?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
Just need to make sure all the "valuable" water front is occupied. I love seeing people over a million for water front. I say to myself thanks for paying my property tax.
You are welcome.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #9
C-Bass

Quote:
Yeah, doesn't seen right. My employer is MA based and I drive down probably 3 days out of the week to the office, work from home the rest of the time, and I still get burned with MA income tax and no right to vote in MA politics.
I can recall a few hundred years ago, a few guys by the name of Adams/Hancock, as well as many more; sacrificed quite a bit so people had fairness and representation in government.
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
garysanfran

Default I've had many neighbors sell their props...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I know I have said it before but I wonder how high the property taxes can keep going before people finally say it isn't worth it to pay that much in taxes for a few months a year. Do you think there is a point or will people always keep paying more. Do you think the selectmen ever think about that when they keep spending and spending?
Because they could no longer afford the prop tax. And, for many of these people, it was their primary home. A fixed income is just that. An ever increasing prop tax eats that up quite quickly.

In San Francisco, I pay 1/4 of the tax I pay in Meredith on a prop worth 3-4 times as much. In New Hampshire...No public road, not even paved, so it doesn't get plowed in winter. No public water nor sewer.

So, does CA suffer for the lack of income from prop taxes dues to Prop13?...Nope, they continue to waste billions catering to ?

And, although I can vote in CA, that's equivalent to pissing into the ocean to watch the water level rise.

As for the selectmen giving a damn? Tax dollars to them is equivalent of an addiction to opiods!

Always, vote against opiod addiction!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
RUGMAN

Default R.E. Taxes

DidI read that in the new tax plan, they plan to limit the real estate tax deduction on your income tax return to $10,000.00
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
Woody38

California Prop 13 did wonders for a select few property owners. A real headache for others. When we bought our house in California we had to make up for property tax shortfall (not sure what else to call it). The amount was not terrible since the previous owner had been hit with an increase also. The little old lady across the street having lived in that house for decades paid $900 yearly thanks to prop 13. We paid $9,000 the first year and paid a sum to make up for whatever should have been paid the year we bought. My sister and her husband pay around $1,200 to $1,300 on their million dollar + house. Also they could sell that house and buy another house or condo and take the tax with them. By the way my B-I-L thought that his children having to pay higher taxes was their problem. Great perk for some elderly, not us. So it amounts to those new buyers paying exorbitant property taxes. Why should not all property owners share in the burden. They don't require any less city service than we do.
All in all the prop 13 sucks.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #13
Jersey Bob

Default House plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
DidI read that in the new tax plan, they plan to limit the real estate tax deduction on your income tax return to $10,000.00
That's the house plan, the Senate plan is to not allow any deduction for property tax.
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:56 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Moultonborough has the best tennis court venue around, with 4 two-tone, light green, dark green courts placed side by side, making it a big four court space with a standard chain link fence all around. Plus, Moultonborough hires www.vttennis.com to redo the rubberized asphalt court surface on a regular rotational basis, doing one or two courts every year.

Overall, the Moultonborough recreation area is extremely scenic, and includes a baseball/softball field next to the tennis courts that is currently having the entire outfield replaced with new turf or something using a large Caterpillar bulldozer.

Ashland: two outdoor courts; Center Harbor: two outdoor courts, Meredith: six outdoor courts, two with night lights; Laconia: maybe four and two outdoor courts in two locations, Moultonborough: four tennis courts with two pickle-ball courts lined dark red within the last tennis court. All these court facilities are all very nice in their own way, and it just seems to me that the Moultonborough facility is just a little bit nicer partly because it is very scenic.

All these different public tennis court venues are free to use by anyone, first come-first serve, for playing tennis.

What M-boro really really needs is a 15-million dollar athletic center, 5-million/venue, that is home to indoor tennis, indoor swim pool, and indoor ice arena ... all totally heated and air conditioned for year 'round use ... located on the existing seasonal hockey rink area plus the woods.

Thank-you very much, www.moultonboroughnh.gov and all you happy M-boro property tax payers ...... so very happy, happy, happy ... thanks a million!!
Old 11-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #15
Doobs41378

Without sales and Income tax they have to get the money somehow and one way is through higher property taxes. What is the sales and income tax rate in San Francisco?

Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Why should not all property owners share in the burden. They don't require any less city service than we do.
All in all the prop 13 sucks.
That is not the way the tax system is set up. If you were taxed based upon what services you use it would be about the opposite of what it is now. They would add taxes for each child instead of allowing a deduction. It would make the system unworkable since the bulk of many budgets are for the schools. If only the people with children in the school system paid taxes for that it would turn the system upside down.

One of the few taxes that have been based on actual use is the gas tax or "road use tax". However, the increasing use of hybrid vehicles is skewing that too. Should there be a "Prius" tax?

No matter what the system is some group will find it unfair.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #17
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
Without sales and Income tax they have to get the money somehow and one way is through higher property taxes. What is the sales and income tax rate in San Francisco?

But they have Business Profits Tax, Business Enterprise Tax (in case your business doesn't make a profit) and Interest and Dividends tax, just to name a few big ones. But of course you pay the BET additionally even if your business DOES make a profit. So you pay both if you have a profitable business.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #18
tis

If people were taxed for what they actually used, they might not want quite so much. People like more and more as long as somebody else is paying for it.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #19
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
Well said! Also, SF has a huge base from which to draw RE tax whereas Meredith has very little in comparison. Really bad analogy.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #20
tummyman

I must admit that FLL has a great idea but not for Moultonborough. I have long advocated for a better solution to a community center with yet another basketball court that is being advocated by some on the BOS. Year round pool and ice facility would be a terrific idea. Does it need to be in Moultonborough....NO. It should be regional. Also an indoor soccer/tennis facility would be a plus. Do not laugh....these type of facilities are being built and are fully utilized plus make money. What is missing is the regional solution that brings in surrounding towns to participate and become stakeholders to success. Low individual town populations make building these individual town facilities a dumb idea. With the facilities being vacated in Meredith that are part of the VUTEK printing facility on RT 104, there is an even better location and solution to a regional problem. Repurposing these available buildings into a regional use would be super. And finding a non government entity to own/operate it would be perfect...how about the YMCA or...... ????? Time to enlist Rusty McClear into action...he certainly knows how to be successful. And what a nice extension to his efforts in Meredith.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #21
ITD

Fat's a trolling, a trolling he will go.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
jbolty

Quote:
If people were taxed for what they actually used, they might not want quite so much. People like more and more as long as somebody else is paying for it.
Can't believe we all survived growing up with out a community center, basketball courts and all the other taxpayer funded stuff. I don't ever recall a single time being bored but maybe it's repressed memories and I should sue someone.

jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #23
garysanfran

Default It's true...

California has a lot of revenue producers not found in NH. However, the amount I save in prop. tax under Prop.13 is about $29,000 per year. That covers a lot of the increase fees I pay other than prop. tax.

We also have expenses not found in NH...Lots, LOTS of illegal immigrants. Tons...TONS of homeless (everyday San Fran sends out crews to clean the encampments...maid service. I clean my own home), multi-billion dollar trains that go from nowhere to nowhere.

Also, because real estate is so expensive here....013% of $2,000,000 = $26,000. Still a good chunk of change. WHAT! Two Million Dollars? The honest truth here, is you can't get a habitable place for much less.

Please don't get me wrong, I'd prefer living in NH, but growing up back there, I find the winters are a bit harsh.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #24
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Can't believe we all survived growing up with out a community center, basketball courts and all the other taxpayer funded stuff. I don't ever recall a single time being bored but maybe it's repressed memories and I should sue someone.

I know. How did we ever make it? And the waste! I heard the other day the SENATE has over $15 million to pay off women who accuse Senators Now if that didn't make me furious to think I am taxed for that!!!!!!! Who knows what ELSE they have??!!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #25
jbolty

Quote:
I know. How did we ever make it? And the waste! I heard the other day the SENATE has over $15 million to pay off women who accuse Senators Now if that didn't make me furious to think I am taxed for that!!!!!!! Who knows what ELSE they have??!!
I know the "back in my day" thing is frustrating for some and not always based in reality but seriously, we had about 3 tv stations, no internet, no cell phones but somehow managed to keep entertained. Of course a fair amount of time as a teen was spent at some sort of job or working on chores with my dad.

I don't know the actual numbers but I'm guessing the year round population of Moultonboro has about doubled in 30 years and the town budget has gone up by about a 20x
Attached Images

jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #26
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
I must admit that FLL has a great idea but not for Moultonborough. I have long advocated for a better solution to a community center with yet another basketball court that is being advocated by some on the BOS. Year round pool and ice facility would be a terrific idea. Does it need to be in Moultonborough....NO. It should be regional. Also an indoor soccer/tennis facility would be a plus. Do not laugh....these type of facilities are being built and are fully utilized plus make money. What is missing is the regional solution that brings in surrounding towns to participate and become stakeholders to success. Low individual town populations make building these individual town facilities a dumb idea. With the facilities being vacated in Meredith that are part of the VUTEK printing facility on RT 104, there is an even better location and solution to a regional problem. Repurposing these available buildings into a regional use would be super. And finding a non government entity to own/operate it would be perfect...how about the YMCA or...... ????? Time to enlist Rusty McClear into action...he certainly knows how to be successful. And what a nice extension to his efforts in Meredith.
I think you're the first person to ever say FLL had a good idea?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #27
StardogChampion

Speaking of indoor facilities, the sports center in Tilton is the only indoor soccer facility around and it's closing to become a rehab center. The nearest will now be in Bow. There's an opportunity right there for something new in the lakes region.
StardogChampion is offline   Reply With Quote