Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #1
The Winster

Default Uber in the Winnipesaukee area

Wondering if anyone has had recent experience regarding the availability of Uber in the Tuftonboro, Moultonboro, Meredith area?
The Winster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
topwater

To me, This is another example of bringing out of state values to New Hampshire. Most people come up here to get away from all that crap, now you want to implement it up here. Let's try to keep NH the way it was when you 1st realized how good it was. NH has changed for the worse for the last 20 years. Still good but changed from all of the out of Stater's coming up and and changing NH from what you like about it originally.

Live free or die. If you don't like it
MOVE !
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topwater For This Useful Post:
Barbara (10-25-2018)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
jbolty

That seems a little harsh. There are plenty of reasons to complain about people moving in from out of state then trying to bring all the stuff they left behind but I don't think Uber is one of them.

If the locals can make a few bucks and at the same time remove a few potential drunk drivers from the road that's all to the good.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
burgerunh

We have a house in Ossipee, NH on Ossipee Lake and Uber is not available there.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
That seems a little harsh. There are plenty of reasons to complain about people moving in from out of state then trying to bring all the stuff they left behind but I don't think Uber is one of them.

If the locals can make a few bucks and at the same time remove a few potential drunk drivers from the road that's all to the good.
This is the exact response needed. Really nothing more to say. I use uber daily and sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. Uber, if offered in a given area, will likely have next to no impact on anyone other than a beneficial impact (people make money at their own convenience and people have the luxury of having someone else drive them around). If you're driving the roads in NH, what does it matter if you drive past a car that may be ride sharing? Lighten up, live a little, and stop complaining about everything. Get the facts straight before offering some ridiculous opinion with no support about how it will be a detriment.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
TriDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
To me, This is another example of bringing out of state values to New Hampshire. Most people come up here to get away from all that crap, now you want to implement it up here. Let's try to keep NH the way it was when you 1st realized how good it was. NH has changed for the worse for the last 20 years. Still good but changed from all of the out of Stater's coming up and and changing NH from what you like about it originally.

MOVE !
Wow. If "out of state values" means providing safer roads OR mobility options for our increasing elderly population who are house-bound because they can no longer drive...bring it to NH.

Uber is a great way to take drunk drivers off the roads. It is convenient, cheap and provides an alternative income source for local residents who want to do it.
TriDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
garysanfran

Default And if you don't ike it...Move...

Quote:

MOVE !
Intolerant moron!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
dave603

All it needs is for a few people in the region to try it out as drivers.
Just sign up and install the APP.
If you don't get any pings, then no harm done.

Seems like it would be really good way for vacationers that do not know the area to get around during the summer.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
rsmlp

Default uber

Uber is really an urban demand/supply business. I doubt we'll see it soon but to suggest that its usage is somehow ANTI-NH or Lakes Region is ignorant to the extreme.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #10
mneck1814

Uber is being offered seasonally in Killington, VT, a similar model might work in the Lakes Region to meet summer demand. The Upper Valley (Lebanon/Hanover, NH & Norwich/Hartford, VT) entered the Uber world a couple of months ago. There are not a lot of drivers yet so if they are giving someone a ride when you want one, the wait time can be longer than normal for Uber. As more drivers sign on that should improve.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
eillac@dow

Quote:

MOVE !
Seriously? What a mean spirited, miserable response this is. Would hate to have you as a neighbor. Lighten up.

Perhaps an Uber could assist one to be able to enjoy NH that much more....like, going to town or having a few drinks and not wanting to have to drive home. Recently, I met friends in Meredith....they were heading up from MA, coming to my place. We were to meet at Mills Falls first. Really did not want another car with us, but I had no other choice....an Uber would have been perfect. It makes me happy when I hear my kids took an Uber home. It is a way of life for them... if they indulge, they call an Uber.

Not to mention, I am sure there are plenty of folks that could stand to make a few extra $ transporting folks here and there.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #12
Phantom

Lyft is another great option (and actually consistently better vehicles since Uber dropped their vehicle standards) ...... I will check my App for availability when up this weekend and report back.

Works the exact same as Uber

Old 06-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
SPT13

Default Uber

a woman was posting fliers for " Uber girl " on the first weekend of bike week. I saw her at Cactus Jacks & she gave a few to the bartender. I do not know if it was just for bike week, a for the summer. I did get her number ...just in case
SPT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #14
Doobs41378

Quote:

MOVE !
I have lived in NH my whole life. You, my friend, sound like an idiot.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #15
Convertible Girl

Default Uber is Around

I have a friend who took Uber from Laconia to Gilford and Laconia to Moultonboro in the last week, so it is definitely around. Uber is a great thing and is probably very welcome to the Lakes Region, IMO
Convertible Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #16
Rattletrap

Quote:

MOVE !
WOW REALLY?..........A safe ride is a safe ride. I don't care what the cost is to my "NH" way of life.........The key word is 'Live" in Live free or die. If one drunk decides to take Uber home and doesn't drive home that's a win IMO!
Old 06-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #17
hd333

Quote:

MOVE !

You are a jackass.

Uber would let locals make money and probably bring more business to local establishments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #18
winniplayhouse

My staff come up to live here for the summer, (mostly from NY and they don't have cars) and support local restaurants and shops all summer long. They would love Uber to help them get around and spending more money at local establishments!
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #19
HomeWood

How could anybody think some Uber service would be a BAD thing for the area? The positives have already been said, so I won't repeat them. People will never cease to amaze me. Good grief.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #20
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Uber and Lyft are great services. I would imagine there will be more than a few drivers out there this summer.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #21
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
How could anybody think some Uber service would be a BAD thing for the area? The positives have already been said, so I won't repeat them. People will never cease to amaze me. Good grief.
I understand his lament...then Again I'm old and I miss the "simpler" times as well. With the world turning cyber everything, those times are gone forever. Youth and "progressives" want this world around them 24/7...us older folks (speaking generally) not so much.
Nothing wrong with getting a "taxi" ride or an uber ride either (is uber even a word?) it's just the way the world is changing to grasp onto all that is fast and easy with the click of an app.
Not always better or worse...just different...and sometimes the change is troubling to some. Just my humble opinion.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #22
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I understand his lament..
I do, too. I get it. However, something like Uber really is not a threat to any way of life here. You won't even see them unless you look for the U in the windshield and you don't have to use it. I think it's better than seeing a bunch of taxi's or buses!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #23
Pineedles

Default Trepedation

We are visiting our Daughter in SF this weekend for her 30th. We will hope that Uber will get us from there to here and so forth. I don't reject technology, I am just cautious.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #24
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:

MOVE !
Without a lot of "out of state" money coming into New Hampshire it would certainly change for the worse. First, without the additional income from tourists and seasonal visitors NH would need an income tax to make ends meet. Without the additional real estate tax money from people who vacation here in their second homes and use little, if any, services NH would be bankrupt.

Uber is a great economical solution to many transportation problems. Drunk driving, elderly who need help getting to the grocery store or the doctor's office, or just people who cannot or will not drive for a variety of reasons.

Claiming it is anything but a positive option for people is just plain wrong.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #25
DBreskin

Quote:
Live free or die. If you don't like it MOVE !

I guess Topwater should move.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:44 AM   #26
pjard

I live in Gilford and the most that I have ever seen on the app is 3. I'm surprised more don't migrate up here from Concord and Manchester during concert nights.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #27
Liquorish

First of all, how anyone could think Uber is a bad thing is crazy, offering a service and potentially keeping impaired drivers off the road is a great thing. Second, I have used Uber from Laconia to my home in Meredith. I was told by the driver ( Eric), that there are 3 drivers in the area, wait time can be a bit long! Hopefully a couple more could be available for the season.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #28
Mr. V

It seems to me that Topwater is a bit of a Luddite, i.e. someone opposed to change, especially technological change.

Fair enough, his opinion, his life.

Odds are that a card-carrying Luddite such as he seems to be couldn't use Uber even if he wanted to, as it requires both a smart phone and a downloaded app; a Luddite wouldn't have a smart phone, and would think an "app" is an appliance.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #29
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Odds are that a card-carrying Luddite ... couldn't use Uber even if he wanted to, as it requires both a smart phone and a downloaded app; a Luddite wouldn't have a smart phone, and would think an "app" is an appliance.
You don't need a smartphone for "Go Go Grandparent". You actually talk to a dispatcher. The drivers are Uber drivers with a little extra dispatch connection. They can't always tell if you did an Uber request or GGP phone call.

1-855-464-6872
https://gogograndparent.com/?gclid=C...TLRBoCBszw_wcB

I bet rural towns will have Uber before someone starts an old fashioned taxi business.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #30
HomeWood

For those who cannot drive for whatever reason might find Uber as a way to live a little more free in the Live Free or Die state.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #31
ITD

OK, it's a little nasty in here, I think we should all step back and sing a nice round of Kumbaya.......... I'll start, Ready, 1, 2, 3 "Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya" ..... come on now, you know you want to.

Seriously folks, lighten up....... maybe a drum circle would be more appropriate.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #32
kawishiwi

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
OK, it's a little nasty in here, I think we should all step back and sing a nice round of Kumbaya.......... I'll start, Ready, 1, 2, 3 "Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya" ..... come on now, you know you want to.

Seriously folks, lighten up....... maybe a drum circle would be more appropriate.
Kumbaya, Kumbaya
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #33
Gatto Nero

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
I do, too. I get it. However, something like Uber really is not a threat to any way of life here.
Unless your a taxi driver It's the definition of Disruptive Technology but that's as a good thing.

I use Uber all the time when I travel. Never gave it much thought but assumed I couldn't get one here Upon seeing this thread I pulled up my app and tried it out. Sure enough I can get one even out here on Black Cat. Pretty sweet.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #34
September

Default Out of staters' contributions here

I'm actually happy with some of the things brought in by "out of staters." I like indoor toilets, electricity, pasteurized and homogenized milk, women's sanitary products, the internet, medicine, and my grandparents. Just to name a few.
September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #35
SAB1

I'm with ITD on this.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #36
Cobalt 25

We need Uber and Lyft vessels for the islanders!

fatnlazy- you up for it??
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #37
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
We need Uber and Lyft vessels for the islanders!

fatnlazy- you up for it??
Already done

http://www.esquireme.com/content/211...-for-boats-now

http://www.kshb.com/news/state/misso...es-in-missouri
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #38
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
.....elderly who need help getting to the grocery store or the doctor's office, or just people who cannot or will not drive for a variety of reasons.....
For those who are elderly, disabled, or for some other reason have need for transportation to scheduled appointments, supermarket trips, etc., there is Interlakes Community Caregivers (ICCI), serving Meredith, Center Harbor, Moultonborough, Sandwich. Many trips the volunteer drivers make are local, many more are to places such as Laconia or Wolfeboro, and still others are to Concord, Manchester, D-H in Hanover/Lebanon or even Boston. The ICCI office is in Harbor Square, on rte 25 in Moultonborough just over the line from Center Harbor.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #39
Familyfirst

Quote:

MOVE !
Topwater, Maybe you should see about building a wall.
Familyfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #40
EFS53

Quote:

MOVE !
Topwater, first off, congrats on using the internet, probably a big step for someone as resistant to change and technology as you! Second, I just signed up for Uber because you brought to my attention that there is a need for it in the area. For a few hours of my vacations at the lake this year I'll be driving my car with OUT OF STATE plates (GASP!!) around and picking up NH residents and vacationers that don't want to drive drunk . Hopefully you enjoy the safer roads and if you ever need a ride I can walk you through the Uber sign up process. Now turn that FOX news back up and have a great day!
EFS53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:42 AM   #41
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFS53 View Post
Topwater, first off, congrats on using the internet, probably a big step for someone as resistant to change and technology as you! Second, I just signed up for Uber because you brought to my attention that there is a need for it in the area. For a few hours of my vacations at the lake this year I'll be driving my car with OUT OF STATE plates (GASP!!) around and picking up NH residents and vacationers that don't want to drive drunk . Hopefully you enjoy the safer roads and if you ever need a ride I can walk you through the Uber sign up process. Now turn that FOX news back up and have a great day!
So now everyone who is anti-progress is a FOX news devotee and therefore obtuse? Good grief. I watch FOX all the time and would embrace UBER/LYFT if they could make a go in the Lakes Region in a second.

This thread has gone on way too long. Please kill it.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #42
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
So now everyone who is anti-progress is a FOX news devotee and therefore obtuse? Good grief. I watch FOX all the time and would embrace UBER/LYFT if they could make a go in the Lakes Region in a second.

This thread has gone on way too long. Please kill it.
Bingo.
This thread has taken a "left" turn for first time posters to hop on their soapboxes and spout the same rhetoric we see all day on the news channels.
Enough.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #43
jbolty

deep breaths
Attached Images

jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #44
ITD

Everybody now "Kumbya ....."
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #45
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerunh View Post
We have a house in Ossipee, NH on Ossipee Lake and Uber is not available there.
Where abouts? We go to Long Sands a lot.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #46
EFS53

trolling
EFS53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #47
FlyingScot

Default Both sides of the Uber picture

London is a world away (thank goodness!), but for those interested in understanding how the other side thinks in the Uber debate, there's a great article in today's NY Times. It shows both the great promise for new drivers and passengers, but also the great cost for old drivers who've made a huge investment and are now paying the price.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/04/w...=top-news&_r=0
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #48
hd333

Has anyone had any success with Uber or Lyft in the Lakes Region?
Wondering what my chances will be during Bike Week for a concert at Meadowbrook or whatever it is called these days.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #49
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts
Thumbs up

I install alcohol starting devices at my shop in Ma. There are a lot of people on the road that shouldn't be driving. Anything that gets drunk drivers off the road is a plus in my book. I don't know why anyone anywhere would be against these driving services. Young drivers today use it religiously when they go out drinking. It's the older generation that get the most breathing devices installed in their cars.
Now if we can only figure out a way to keep them from texting while driving we can save a lot more lives on the roads.

Last edited by Biggd; 01-31-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:52 AM   #50
TheTimeTraveler

Biggd: Well put and I think you hit the nail on the head!

TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #51
garysanfran

Default HD333's question ...

"Has anyone had any success with Uber or Lyft in the Lakes Region?"

All this thread has done is make it another controversial diatribe.

SO, does Uber work in the Lakes Region?

In San Francisco, Uber's ground zero, it is a life changer for those I know who use it regularly and, thus, don't have to own a car or get on a bus with the MS-13 "folks".

I have a need for transportation from a bus stop to my home when I arrive, or depart, The Lakes Region. Uber would be great. It seems taxi service in the area is sparse. I've only seen one taxi provider.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #52
Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
This is the exact response needed. Really nothing more to say. I use uber daily and sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. Uber, if offered in a given area, will likely have next to no impact on anyone other than a beneficial impact (people make money at their own convenience and people have the luxury of having someone else drive them around). If you're driving the roads in NH, what does it matter if you drive past a car that may be ride sharing? Lighten up, live a little, and stop complaining about everything. Get the facts straight before offering some ridiculous opinion with no support about how it will be a detriment.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #53
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post
Has anyone had any success with Uber or Lyft in the Lakes Region?
Wondering what my chances will be during Bike Week for a concert at Meadowbrook or whatever it is called these days.
I needed a ride a few months ago from Channel Marine back to Gilford. It was a Sunday morning around 11am-noon. I checked Uber, there were no drivers in the area. That is the only time I have tried it, not sure if this is a norm in the region or not?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #54
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Mr C's

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I needed a ride a few months ago from Channel Marine back to Gilford. It was a Sunday morning around 11am-noon. I checked Uber, there were no drivers in the area. That is the only time I have tried it, not sure if this is a norm in the region or not?
Mr C's taxi service out of Laconia handles the area well. I have used them a few times in the past.

Dan
Old 01-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #55
PaugusBayFireFighter

Uber and Lyft are in the area but not always available. I never stay local when I do rideshare as there's very little going on off season. I drive down to my stomping grounds in Nashua, Salem, Waltham and eventually end up in Boston. I do Uber BLACK CAR which is their luxury transport. You can meet a lot of interesting people and make some decent cash.
Driving for Uber BLACK means your clientele are usually not college age adults going home after a night of drinking in town. It's usually older adults who tend to be better behaved.
I only do this for fun and extra money so I'm not interested in short rides or young drunks.

Last edited by PaugusBayFireFighter; 01-31-2018 at 01:57 PM.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:37 PM   #56
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Uber and Lyft are in the area but not always available. I never stay local when I do rideshare as there's very little going on off season. I drive down to my stomping grounds in Nashua, Salem, Waltham and eventually end up in Boston. I do UberX which is their luxury transport. You can meet a lot of interesting people and make some decent cash.
Driving for UberX means your clientele are usually not college age adults going home after a night of drinking in town. It's usually older adults who tend to be better behaved.
I only do this for fun and extra money so I'm not interested in short rides or young drunks.
Did not know about UberX is it accessible from the same app?
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:42 PM   #57
baygo

We've had a number of Guests come by way of Uber and then find they were unable to get an uber ride home.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #58
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Mr C's taxi service out of Laconia handles the area well. I have used them a few times in the past.

Dan
Thanks for the tip. Ryan from Winnisquam actually came in on his day off to give me a ride back. I was leaving a boat at Channel for winterization. Thumbs up to him as always.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #59
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Did not know about UberX is it accessible from the same app?
Yes it is..but only when available and mostly in higher volume areas. If you go on the app and request a ride they will give you options.
Uber Pool (Uber's budget car pooling option matches you with a rider headed in the same direction)
UberX (Uber's budget option, every day car up to 2 seats)
Uber's premium services include: UberSUV (luxury SUV), Uber XL (UberX option for large groups)
BLACK CAR (High end rides with professional drivers)

I misspoke, I don't drive UberX, it's the Black Car for me!
Because I drive a 'BLACK CAR' I am required to have commercial insurance and only specific car models and colors are permitted.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:03 PM   #60
Major

Default Golf Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
We've had a number of Guests come by way of Uber and then find they were unable to get an uber ride home.
I apologize for being off topic, but Baygo's post reminded me to ask him whether we will be able to take golf carts from SD/LB to Tavern 27. Last time we spoke Baygo indicated that there may be an opportunity for golf cart travel to T27 in the future.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #61
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Yes it is..but only when available and mostly in higher volume areas. If you go on the app and request a ride they will give you options.
Uber Pool (Uber's budget car pooling option matches you with a rider headed in the same direction)
UberX (Uber's budget option, every day car up to 2 seats)
Uber's premium services include: UberSUV (luxury SUV), Uber XL (UberX option for large groups)
BLACK CAR (High end rides with professional drivers)

I misspoke, I don't drive UberX, it's the Black Car for me!
Because I drive a 'BLACK CAR' I am required to have commercial insurance and only specific car models and colors are permitted.

Thank you. That’s great information I did not know about Uber.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #62
hd333

Quote:
Uber and Lyft are in the area but not always available. I never stay local when I do rideshare as there's very little going on off season. I drive down to my stomping grounds in Nashua, Salem, Waltham and eventually end up in Boston. I do Uber BLACK CAR which is their luxury transport. You can meet a lot of interesting people and make some decent cash.
Driving for Uber BLACK means your clientele are usually not college age adults going home after a night of drinking in town. It's usually older adults who tend to be better behaved.

Asking since you drive for Uber. Do you think there will be more drivers in the area for bike week?

Old 01-31-2018, 03:00 PM   #63
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post
Asking since you drive for Uber. Do you think there will be more drivers in the area for bike week?

I am sure there will be plenty of people willing to make money that week, me included! Any night Meadowbrook has a show there will be drivers in the area.
If you download the Uber app, open it occasionally as if you are requesting a ride. You will get a look at what's available in the area by the options Uber gives you.

I just did a ride request from Laconia to Cambridge and see NO CARS AVAILABLE. You can try this at different times of the day and week to see what's happening in the area. Scheduling a ride for a later time or day is also an option that may work.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #64
garysanfran

Default Mr C's Taxi...

Is the only taxi service I am aware. Are they reliable enough to make an early morning local bus connection to Logan Airport? And vice versa when I'm arriving?

Thanks again all...
Old 01-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #65
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Is the only taxi service I am aware. Are they reliable enough to make an early morning local bus connection to Logan Airport? And vice versa when I'm arriving?

Thanks again all...
While Mr C's is a very reliable Taxi Service and has many cars in the area, I believe you might be better off with Maggie's or Steve's airport taxi service who specialize in rides to and from the airport and are also Laconia based. Maggie's and Steve's do not do local taxi service as far as I know and send those calls to Mr C's...

Dan
Old 01-31-2018, 03:33 PM   #66
garysanfran

Default Maggies or Steve's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
While Mr C's is a very reliable Taxi Service and has many cars in the area, I believe you might be better off with Maggie's or Steve's airport taxi service who specialize in rides to and from the airport and are also Laconia based. Maggie's and Steve's do not do local taxi service as far as I know and send those calls to Mr C's...

Dan
Thanks Dan. I'll look into it. Do they go to Logan? There is a bus that stops, I think twice/week in Meredith at 9:00 am that takes about 3 hrs. to get to Logan. And then heading north, around the same. The pick-up/drop-off is a parking lot. It wouldn't be pleasant to have to wait long in whatever New Hampshire weather is offering at that time. Or worse, totally miss the ride.

Thanks again..
Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #67
ishoot308

Quote:
Thanks Dan. I'll look into it. Do they go to Logan? There is a bus that stops, I think twice/week in Meredith at 9:00 am that takes about 3 hrs. to get to Logan. And then heading north, around the same. The pick-up/drop-off is a parking lot. It wouldn't be pleasant to have to wait long in whatever New Hampshire weather is offering at that time. Or worse, totally miss the ride.

Thanks again..
Pretty sure both go to Logan but best to call and check...

Here's Maggies Info: https://www.yellowpages.com/laconia-...1?lid=12184111

Here's Steve's Info: https://www.yellowpages.com/laconia-...?lid=469895615

And for what its worth: https://www.yelp.com/biz/maggies-taxi-laconia

https://www.yelp.com/biz/stevens-tax...y-svc-meredith

Dan
Old 01-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #68
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I install alcohol starting devices at my shop in Ma. There are a lot of people on the road that shouldn't be driving.....
Now if we can only figure out a way to keep them from texting while driving we can save a lot more lives on the roads.
Maybe there should be a device connected to the ignition that asks for the problematic driver's cell phone number, texts it to ask for confirmation, then disables the phone in order to enable the ignition switch. Ignition switched off re-enables the cell phone. I suppose a buddy could enter his phone number so the driver could text while driving, but at least there might be another pair of eyes on the road instead of on a tiny screen. Another idea might be to have a device in the car that mimics a cell phone tower and tells the phone "no service" or jambs the link until the ignition switch is off.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #69
Major problem

Quote:

Thanks again..
This is the bus you're talking about, very reliable, comfortable, and a fraction of the price of car service. try the West Ossipee stop as you can buy your tickets there and there a DD's next door. The schedule says there's daily runs and an afternoon run on weekends. They drop right at the terminals and the bus station at Amtrak/South Station
https://concordcoachlines.com/route/...logan-airport/
Major problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #70
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

From the east side of the lake, go to Dover and catch C&J from their terminal off exit 9. Off the ramp, turn left, heading south to the terminal, on your left. Free parking. Goes to Logan, then to South Station. Return trip starts at South Station, then to Logan, then back to NH.
You can head south to Concord, to exit 14 Loudon Rd for Concord Trailways. At the end turn right and then right again. Free parking. Route is to South Station and then to Logan, and the return starts at Logan, then to South Station, then to NH. We use Concord a lot.
Anytime you are traveling to Boston during rush hour, give yourself plenty of time for delays, just like you were driving yourself. May need to take any earlier bus.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 02-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #71
Cindido

Just returned from Logan on round trip via C&J Bus out of Dover. $24 each way. Plenty of free parking, nice terminal and direct drop off at all Logan terminals. Nice bus with WiFi, chilled bottles of water, newspapers. Luggage is tagged with your terminal destination and put under bus by driver. Couldn't have been easier.

Last edited by Cindido; 02-03-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #72
Janet

Default Concord Coach Line

I use Concord Coach Line every year on my trip to the lake from Texas to Center Harbor from Logan. Concord Coach Line stops in West Ossipee, Center Harbor and Meredith twice daily with trips to Concord, South Station and Logan Airport. A round-trip ticket to Logan from Center Harbor is $55.00. Bus stops and picks up at all the terminals at Logan. Nice bus, friendly drivers and a relaxing way to get out of Boston. Check it out: www.concordcoachlines.com. (no I'm not affiliated with CCL).
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #73
garysanfran

Default Fantastic info...

Hit the "THANKS" button...

The Forum is always a great source of info.

I am surprised at the lack of bus service to Manchester (MHT). Or am I missing something?
Old 02-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #74
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Hit the "THANKS" button...

The Forum is always a great source of info.

I am surprised at the lack of bus service to Manchester (MHT). Or am I missing something?
Thats a good question for your 420 post I wondered the same thing for a while and couldn't understand why none was available.

After talking to Concord trailways I was told it had to do with politicians, made me want to puke
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #75
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post
After talking to Concord trailways I was told it had to do with politicians, made me want to puke
Just to save you from puking--seems really unlikely that it's "politicians"--there are plenty of private bus companies with service to MHT from plenty of locations.

More likely is economics--not enough people riding and/or it's too difficult to cover airport fees.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #76
phoenix

there use to be a bus from concord bus station to airport in Manchester non stop then it was changed to a stop with a change in downtown Manchester . not sure if either is available now
Old 02-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #77
Irish mist

The days of Greyhound & Trailways packed buses running from morning to night in the Lakes Region like they did in the 70s & 80s are long gone. No demand any longer.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #78
garysanfran

Talking 420 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post
Thats a good question for your 420 post I wondered the same thing for a while and couldn't understand why none was available.

Thanks for pointing out my 420'th post. 4:20 started at a high school in San Rafael, CA. That's the time when after-school activities were over and the behind-the-gym fun began. Lots of slow drivers in San Rafael!.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #79
Maribeth

Default ? Any Uber or other ride share yet in Moultonborough

Hello,

Has anyone been able to access Uber or other ride sharing service?...was up this weekend with family with one vehicle and would have loved to go off on my own and enjoy the foliage at the Castle, but no way to get there and back...
Maribeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #80
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Go Go Grandparent

Welcome to the Forum. I can't speak directly to ther Winnipesaukee region but I have used "Go Go Grandparent successfully in other parts of thje state. They connect to both Uber and Lyft with one call, and you actually speak to a person. You don't need an app, just a phone.
1-855-464-6872. Sign up at https://gogograndparent.com
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (10-14-2018)