Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Rusty

Default Metrocast complaint in the GSN

The below article is in this weeks editorial page of the Granite State News.
Anybody think that the writer has a legit complaint? I don't.

Quote:
To the Editor:
It’s been a long time since I wrote to this paper. Here’s a new topic for discussion. We were all affected, to some degree by the big cable blackout. In my case, it was the trifecta. We have the VIP (Video, Internet and Phone). All of these services were out for 48 hours or more for anyone on the Wolfeboro Metrocast network.
Here’s the question: Did you get a credit from Metrocast for the two days that they did not provide the service that they had previously charged you for? I called Metrocast and asked why they did not automatically credit me. Their response was that they couldn’t because they don’t know how long each subscriber was out. I said “Sure you do.” They said no, some people were out for four days.

OK, what they are saying was that they know everyone was out for the 2+ days their main fiber line was out, but they don’t think it would be fair if they credited everyone for that period because a few people were out longer and deserve a little more. My BS meter just went to 11. But this isn’t about the shameless poor business practices of Metrocast that we all accept as SOP. I’m writing to you about net neutrality. One of the latest giveaways to big business is the FCCs intent to rescind the net-neutrality rule put in place more than a decade ago. That rule is based on the principle that cable companies have a fundamental conflict of interest with respect to being both a video provider and internet provider. An open internet is the greatest threat to their video business. Do you use Netflix? How about Hulu or MLB?

There are hundreds of video content providers available on the internet. Many people already don’t bother with cable TV, they just view video on demand over the internet – and pay for what they use. Without the net neutrality rule, cable internet providers like Metrocast can slow down or interfere with those video streams, or more likely charge providers not to, which will be passed along to you.

Back to the fair business practices that I opened with. Nice story Bob, but what can we do about it? Here’s a bold idea: Wolfeboro has an admirable history of taking care of itself. A hundred years ago, forward thinking town leaders built a municipal water system that enabled the town to grow into a resort community unlike its neighbors. Fast forward 50 years and the same was done with electric service – a resource that serves the town well to this day. How about a municipal internet? There is no single utility resource with more potential to affect the future of a community, and Wolfeboro has a tremendous advantage in moving in that direction. We own the telephone poles. I admit that it’s a half baked idea. We need to consider the potential for other wireless systems coming available, and make sure we hit a sweet spot with technology selection. But let’s not dismiss the idea outof-hand. Lets bring some of the accomplished business leaders who have retired to Wolfeboro together to look at the possibility. I’m in. If you have any doubt about how beneficial this could be to the town, just watch the reaction of Metrocast if we start moving forward.

Bob Lemaire Wolfeboro

Last edited by Rusty; 05-04-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Removed image file and put in text for easier reading
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 02:29 AM   #2
wifi

I especially like the:

“Private property and freedom are inseparable.” part !
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

I think his idea of a municipal internet is interesting. As he notes they already have municipal electricity. I'll bet there are issues with legaleeze from the FCC rules on the cable company's rights for that region. I don't know how it works but I'd be interested on hearing feedback.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default North Carolina

About 9 years ago, I was helping my sister move to Morrisville. I helped my sister find a reasonable cable, internet and phone company. What I found is at least 3 cable companies are available in town as well as two landline companies as well as two dish providers. Seems the town rents the infrastructures out to the ISPs to do business. Sounds like an excellent plan Wolfeboro is looking into to!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
AC2717

Metrocast is the only game in town except for satellite in Laconia, much like it was when I lived in RI with COX, which basically they are free to drive prices to where they want without a major fear of losing customers.

I think it is terrible that towns only have one provider in the town for them, what is their incentive to keep it this way, other than the possible kick backs the town is getting from metrocast
Old 05-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
FlyingScot

Default Probably a good idea

Bigger picture than a small complaint for 2 days credit, I think he's on to something--providing these services is a VERY lucrative business. If a town can figure out how to do it without Metrocast, I would expect significant savings for the residents.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Do you really think the town would give you a two day credit if your service is interrupted? Do they do the same for any other town provided service?

In fact - the person that wrote this should read the service contract he signed which in short form includes the following:

THE METROCAST EQUIPMENT AND THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. NEITHER METROCAST NOR ITS AFFILIATES OR UNDERLYING SERVICE PROVIDERS WARRANT THAT THE METROCAST EQUIPMENT OR THE SERVICES WILL MEET CUSTOMER'S REQUIREMENTS, PROVIDE UNINTERRUPTED USE, OR OPERATE AS REQUIRED, WITHOUT DELAY, OR WITHOUT ERROR.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Do you really think the town would give you a two day credit if your service is interrupted? Do they do the same for any other town provided service?

In fact - the person that wrote this should read the service contract he signed which in short form includes the following:

THE METROCAST EQUIPMENT AND THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. NEITHER METROCAST NOR ITS AFFILIATES OR UNDERLYING SERVICE PROVIDERS WARRANT THAT THE METROCAST EQUIPMENT OR THE SERVICES WILL MEET CUSTOMER'S REQUIREMENTS, PROVIDE UNINTERRUPTED USE, OR OPERATE AS REQUIRED, WITHOUT DELAY, OR WITHOUT ERROR.
But I seem to recall that after this storm, the selectman posted in the local paper that you would be able to get a credit from Metrocast if you contacted
them.(Metro cast) I was surprised.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Rusty (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #9
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
But I seem to recall that after this storm, the selectman posted in the local paper that you would be able to get a credit from Metrocast if you contacted
them.(Metro cast) I was surprised.
You are right tis, I found it in the GSN on page A15 of the April 13, 2017 edition.
This is what Owen said:

Quote:
Owen advised residents that Metrocast is refunding time lost to
outages, but only on request by individual customers.
tis (05-06-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Barney Bear

Default MetroCast Seasonal Service

Called MetroCast today to put my "bundle" service in it's seasonal mode for six months. Cost is $21.11 per month. The lady at MetroCast with whom I spoke was very pleasant. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:33 AM   #11
gokart-mozart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Called MetroCast today to put my "bundle" service in it's seasonal mode for six months. Cost is $21.11 per month. The lady at MetroCast with whom I spoke was very pleasant. 🐻
Metrocast has transferred the Wolfeboro franchise to Atlantic Broadband, effective 1/1/18. They are allowed to do this in the text of their agreement with the Town, and the selectmen were notified in September.

I called the Town offices and Metrocast last week to find out if email addresses have to be changed 1/1/18, and both parties say “we don’t know any details yet”.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
BrownstoneNorth

Default Metrocast sold to Atlantic Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
Metrocast has transferred the Wolfeboro franchise to Atlantic Broadband, effective 1/1/18. They are allowed to do this in the text of their agreement with the Town, and the selectmen were notified in September.

I called the Town offices and Metrocast last week to find out if email addresses have to be changed 1/1/18, and both parties say “we don’t know any details yet”.
All of Metrocast, not just Wolfeboro, will be Atlantic Broadband as of January 1st. Neither Metrocast nor Atlantic Broadband website has any information or even news of the sale, but there are many stories in the press, e.g.,

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx...ases-metrocast

Wolfeboro was informed in July or August. Minutes from the monthly Selectmen meeting in mid-August indicate that Atlantic Broadband was asked to send a rep to the September meeting but hadn't yet responded. Minutes from the September meeting won't be posted until after they've been approved at the October meeting.

Last edited by BrownstoneNorth; 10-15-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Every time one of these cable companies sell out I hope the new one will be better. But so far, they only get worse.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:59 AM   #14
TheProfessor

Municipal (town) cable versus private industry.

This debate goes back decades to a time when cable was first introduced or expanded.

The locally elected representatives - the selectmen - had a choice in the beginning to undertake the vast costs of wiring the towns or having private industry pay for this.

Most towns choice private industry. Some did not.

During the 1980's there was a movement to privatize many government activities. Private industry can do things better and cheaper then then government was the mantra.

Public works were privatized in some communities. Prisons, Fire Departments, etc. were privatized.

At about this same time cable technology was expanding rapidly.
Each town had to make a decision as to how cable would become available to their town.

Talk to your former selectmen and ask why your town chose the private cable company over a municipal cable company.

All is a great debate that continues today.

Imagine any town asking taxpayers to pay to put cable wire on every pole throughout the town. Then a decade later asking these same taxpayers to pay to put fiber optic cable throughout the town.

What would the taxpayers in your town decide?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #15
fatlazyless

www.metrocast.com has a deal running now that costs $59.95/month for cable and internet for the first six months with free installation. Metrocast doesn't require a one or two year agreement, and bills month by month which can be paid with your personal check mailed to Metrocast.

I don't know but this seems like a very good offer. What do you think?
Old 10-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

Roku stick and high speed internet is cheaper and I can get the channels, movies, music etc. that I want.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #17
fatlazyless

On January 27, 2016, Sinclair Broadcasting, http://sbgi.net, purchased The Tennis Channel, DirecTV-217, for $350-million. Starting in January 2017, The Tennis Channel lost all women's tennis when the www.wtatennis.com was created and started their own WTA internet channel for 9.95/month, or 75/year.

Without Women's Tennis, The Tennis Channel has lost 77% of its' content value, in my opinion! It is now all men's tennis, all the time, with the www.atpworldtour.com

So now, to watch Woman's WTA Tennis, one needs the .....
Old 10-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #18
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Who Cares?

Men's/Women's- it's just like basketball. No one actually seems to win, just that someone has to lose.

Mac/Connors/Martina, even at their current ages, would be more exciting than watching three hour matches of people hitting baseline strokes. UGH!

This is part of why the Boomer generation took up golf (less boring!)
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:52 AM   #19
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Dropping Cable

People are tired of the high prices and more and more people are dropping cable. There are a lot of alternatives available now.

This article says that with 5 of the 7 major cable companies reporting third quarter results over 632,000 dropped cable in the third quarter alone.

http://bgr.com/2017/10/31/cord-cutti...-hulu-youtube/
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #20
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Men's/Women's- it's just like basketball. No one actually seems to win, just that someone has to lose.

Mac/Connors/Martina, even at their current ages, would be more exciting than watching three hour matches of people hitting baseline strokes. UGH!

This is part of why the Boomer generation took up golf (less boring!)
Yeah golf really keeps me at the edge of my seat.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 AM   #21
fatlazyless

Default ...watching TCM on Metrocast

https://www.metrocast.com/services/video/channel-lineup

TCM, Turner Classic Movies, channel #260 on Metrocast is my fave channel! Am watching it right now at 3:45-am.

Metrocast makes you go to their two most expensive levels, Digital Plus-$112.85/month, or HD Ultra-$122.80/month to get TCM ...... holy smokes!

Plus, The Tennis Channel, www.tennischannel.com is not available on Metrocast for any price? Now that WTA-Women's Tennis has totally left the Tennis Channel, now men's tennis only, and started their own streaming www.wtatennis.com, this is a mute issue for me.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #22
fatlazyless

About a month ago, I gave DirecTV the boot out the door, and switched to www.MetroCast.com cable & internet. U know the hd picture quality with MetroCast is truly out of this world, and MetroCast has the greatest line-up of tv channels ever created in the history of NH tv, going back to 1951, when tv first came to New Hampshire.

Now, having said all that, is there any chance that MetroCast could include the www.tennischannel.com into their tv line-up, and maybe position it next to the Golf Channel. (Golf, by the way, is not a real sport, it is just an activity!)