Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default Family Fishing License/Hike Safe Card?

Hi All,
There is a family option for the Hike Safe card, and I know that a fishing license counts as a Hike Safe card, but does anyone know if there is, or was a proposal for, a family fishing license (that would also double as HSC)? I didn't find it on the site, but I figured I'd check to be sure.

Thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

If you and your spouse are fishing different spots along the river and the CO comes along, who has the license? Always gonna be the other person. Since kids don't need a license, there was not much interest in the family license and it was discontinued.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
coltgov101

Default Hike safe card

This is the second time today I have read about a hike safe card. I have never heard of it. Can anyone enlighten me?
coltgov101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
If you and your spouse are fishing different spots along the river and the CO comes along, who has the license? Always gonna be the other person. Since kids don't need a license, there was not much interest in the family license and it was discontinued.
I totally forgot the kiddos don't need a license! Thanks for the reminder.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltgov101 View Post
This is the second time today I have read about a hike safe card. I have never heard of it. Can anyone enlighten me?
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/safe/

The card won't keep you from getting hurt from your own carelessness or from being ill-prepared for a hike. Too many times, coming down from a hike along a rough mountain trail, I've seen other hikers headed up in flip-flops or carrying just a 16 oz. bottle of water in warm summer conditions or without additional clothing for radically cooler or windy weather higher up.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
coltgov101

Default Hike safe card

Thanks, DickR, interesting idea and excellent plan. Far to many inexperienced hikers today and very expensive rescue operations take place every year. Thanks for the info.
coltgov101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #7
dpg

Good god what's next a 19.95 charge for calling 911?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Looks like it's not only fishing/hunting licenses that offer Hike Safe benefits--boating and OHRV registrations also count. Interesting.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Good god what's next a 19.95 charge for calling 911?
The Hike Safe card program arose from the costly and all-too-frequent rescues, involving numerous volunteers and state personnel, in really foul weather and all hours of the night, of foolish people who thought they could go for an easy outing up some of the most rugged trails in the country, ignoring weather conditions, and ill-equipped for such an outing. If you took the family sedan off-roading in treacherous conditions and had to have a wrecker tow you out and a repair facility fix the damage you foolishly caused, wouldn't you expect to foot the bill?

If you need rescue from a hike, you won't necessarily be billed for it, because accidents and the unforseen can indeed occur. The RSA is intended to cover situations that didn't have to happen, due to true negligence of the one(s)needing rescue. As they say, you can't fix stupid, but the stupid ought not to expect others to pay for their stupidity.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Default ....save your $25!

Save your $25; in 2018, as soon as you purchase a NH hunting or fishing license, register a boat, ohrv, or snowmobile in NH, then you also get all the benefits of a '$25 NH Hike Safe 2018 Card' without spending the $25.

Could be a good time to treat your car to a $19.88 Walmart oil change, and still have a theoretical, left-over $5.12! What a great theoretical deal ....good for 5000 NH miles.....plus a $5.12 lunch .... so, go visit the King at Burger King .... courtesy NH Fish & Game!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-16-2018 at 05:24 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #11
Doobs41378

Seabrook NH now charges you $500 if they have to cut you out with the jaws of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:06 AM   #12
fatlazyless

For using the 'jaws of life' hydraulic cutting tool to rescue someone from a smashed up car, the Town of Seabrook NH will bill your auto insurance co for $500. No insurance coverage, and town does not bother you, and just lets it slide. Just recently, in December 2017, the NH state legislature passed a new law making this NH fire dept billing procedure possible, and Gov Sununu must have signed it into law or something.

http://www.wbur.org/news/2017/12/20/...h-jaws-of-life includes a link to the Portsmouth Herald and various internet comments

Sounds similar to the NH Dept of Transportation billing your insurance co for repairing a highway safety railing after you smash it up?

For a small NH town, the 'jaws of life' cutting tool probably only gets used maybe 1-2-3 times per year, is an expensive tool, and the blades or something need to be maintained with working blades so it makes sense to bill your insurance co. ... the Good Hands people at Allstate ..... the Flo-girl at Progressive ..... the little Green Salamander at Geico ..... the 5-star General at General ..... you really do got a real good buddy at your insurance co!

If you got an older car, a little beat up, that maybe implies 'no insurance coverage-NH' the Seabrook Fire Dept will still use their cutting tool, regardless of that perception .... and no, they won't be asking for your credit card before saving you from your burning pickup truck ..... like, say buddy..... you got a credit card....before we proceed ..... no way!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-16-2018 at 04:41 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote