Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
C-Bass

Default 19mi bay docks

Anyone know what is up with the docks. I drive by twice a day, granted in the dark this time of the year but the docks are lit, it appears they are locked in solid ice, no bubblers working. I thought they usually have bubblers going there. Just FYI for any 19mi docks owners on here, hopefully in the spring you still have a dock Just thought you may care to know...
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
SAB1

We live just around the corner from there. Our association dock bubblers have been unplugged by someone and two abutters have had their bubblers unplugged one had sneaker with a rock in placed between the fan blades and bubbler frame to prevent it from working. Our bubblers are back to working but the docks are frozen in still. We have alerted the police to this issue.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
Stilljester

Sorry for the complete ignorance on my side but why would someone intentionally do this? (ie - Is this something I need to worry about with my own dock as a new lake resident. Thanks.)
Stilljester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
MeredithMan

Default Enviro-Terrorism...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilljester View Post
Sorry for the complete ignorance on my side but why would someone intentionally do this? (ie - Is this something I need to worry about with my own dock as a new lake resident. Thanks.)
Maybe I'm using a bit of hyperbole with this term, but there are many who believe that the bubblers are bad for the environment. The ice should be allowed to freeze against the shore naturally, and humans should not intervene in this. It was obviously done with purpose if someone jammed the blades so they couldn't work.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
MeredithMan

Default My mistake...

....The correct term is "eco-terrorism"...
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
KPW

There was a bubbler running in the center of each of the two sets of docks 2 days ago. I will check today.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Maybe I'm using a bit of hyperbole with this term, but there are many who believe that the bubblers are bad for the environment. The ice should be allowed to freeze against the shore naturally, and humans should not intervene in this. It was obviously done with purpose if someone jammed the blades so they couldn't work.
There is also a safe "access" issue... when bubblers go un-monitored all winter long and ice is eaten away from neighboring shorelines or extends to far out causing unnecessary unsafe ice or safe ice access issues for your neighbors, some would consider this disrespectful....

Dan
Old 12-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #8
Just Wonderin

Default Pier 19 Bubblers

I just spoke with the Tuftonboro Police. They went down to Pier 19 and were able to confirm that all bubblers were operational. They also said that they will continue to watch the docks to make sure that the bubblers continue to be operational.
Just Wonderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
SAB1

I think Dan hit the nail on the head. Bubblers provide unsafe ice issues and when there are many in row on the shore it prevents alot of ice from forming and restricts access to the ice from private property. There is a law that gives the right to access safe ice from your property. I guess bubblers can cause an issue with that. Probably makes more sense that when a shoreline has several going that they run at different times to try to help.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Cobalt

I believe the law applies to public access to the Lake, and not private access.

Cobalt
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
SAB1

It actually applies to private as well according to my discussions with Marine Patrol.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:48 AM   #12
Cobalt

There is no reason why anyone should excessively run any device to agitate water around docks. There are many options to mitigate impact to neighbors including timers, thermostats, outside monitoring services, cameras and remote on-off mechanisms.

That being said, I believe this is the current law:

New Hampshire Revised Statutes 270:33 – Heating, Agitating or Other Devices in Public Waters, Safety Hazard
Current as of: 2016 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In New Hampshire Revised Statutes 270:33

No person shall put, place, operate or cause to be put, placed or operated in the waters of this state any so-called heating, agitating or other device which inhibits or prevents the natural freezing of water, or forming of ice, and impedes either the ingress or egress to or from ice by means of any public access thereto. If the heating, agitating or other device is placed anywhere else, nearby signs shall likewise be placed to warn of possible danger. Said signs shall read DANGER, THIN ICE and shall be of sufficient size to be readable at a distance of not less than 150 feet, and shall be visible from all directions and shall be equipped with reflectors and color-coded in a pattern unique for this purpose only. The department of safety is hereby authorized to establish said unique design and coloring and any homemade copies shall follow this design and coloring. The provisions of this section shall be enforced by any law enforcement agency under the direction of the department of safety pursuant to RSA 106-A:14 and the department of fish and game pursuant to RSA 206:26.

Hopefully, all dock owners utilizing these mechanisms will do more to monitor their docks and impacts to neighbors. This does not include running the units 24/7.

Cobalt
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #13
garysanfran

Default Noise has been cited as an issue...

In the past in prior postings in this Forum.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #14
smith point boater

Default State of NH

The state of NH Dept of Safety requires we file an Aquatherm registration form with the town. Most people don't even know about it. Other than the 50 cents they collect for the registration I'm not sure of its purpose or how the town/state uses this but at least we're on record as having a bubbler in use

http://www.madison-nh.org/wp-content...p-RSA_2011.pdf
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
Billy Bob

Default Fifty cents

This hasent been updated ?
That’s nuts
The costs of processing the payment far exceed payments.
Is this one of those deals where they loose 5 bucks on every sale but plan to make it up with volume ?
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #16
smith point boater

Default Fifty cents

Really?? We don't need them to raise any fees (especially for a form most people don't even know exists or file). I gave them 2 quarters so there is no "processing fee". The property taxes we all pay should cover anything else ( and lets not derail this topic with any further discussion on property taxes)
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote