Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
TCC

Default Local Radio?

During the recent power outages, we found ourselves unsuccessfully searching our battery-powered radio's AM and FM bands for local news. Are there any local radio stations (with actual people behind the microphone) that we might be able to receive in the Wolfeboro area? Thanks.
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
Cindido

97.1 FM 1420 AM WASR in Wolfeboro. However, I believe they were off the air during the recent power outage
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Looks like Jack Heath on radio 1490-am Laconia, the voice of NH, is no longer on the air .....as of the last week......so, anyone know.....what's the poop on radio talker, Jack Heath?
Old 11-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
NH.Solar

Thumbs up Wmwv

WMWV (93.5 fm) from Conway might come in in Wolfeboro, I have no problem receiving it in New Hampton. Announcers are all low key, they have frequent short local news blurbs and public announcements, promote local businesses, and play an eclectic music mix that you won't hear anywhere else. It's a music format playing mainly blues, rock and adult alternative.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Oh no! I loved Jack Heath. I listened to him every morning on the way to work.

As for WASR, I don't even listen to it any more. It is not much more local than any other generic station. They have Jake on the Lake break in with news from the region sometimes but who cares. I am very disappointed with what has happened to a radio station that Al and Sharon created to be a LOCAL station.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
Shrimpbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Oh no! I loved Jack Heath. I listened to him every morning on the way to work.

As for WASR, I don't even listen to it any more. It is not much more local than any other generic station. They have Jake on the Lake break in with news from the region sometimes but who cares. I am very disappointed with what has happened to a radio station that Al and Sharon created to be a LOCAL station.
Did you know Alan and Sharon. He is my Step Brother from my Mother's side.
Small World
Shrimpbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
tis

Really??? I knew them very well. I was sitting on my parent's porch and in high school when I first met him. He walked up in his Navy uniform and introduced himself telling me he was looking for a place for a tower for the new radio station he was going to start. Later Sharon and I played together on a women's basketball team and we went with the husbands for pizza after every game. They worked their butts off to create a local radio station and they did a good job in my opinion! Did you ever hear the radio station when they had it? They had an extended state, local and regional news report morning and noon. They really did work hard to cover all the local meetings and local news. I truly miss it and I know a lot of other people who do too.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Really??? I knew them very well. I was sitting on my parent's porch and in high school when I first met him. He walked up in his Navy uniform and introduced himself telling me he was looking for a place for a tower for the new radio station he was going to start. Later Sharon and I played together on a women's basketball team and we went with the husbands for pizza after every game. They worked their butts off to create a local radio station and they did a good job in my opinion! Did you ever hear the radio station when they had it? They had an extended state, local and regional news report morning and noon. They really did work hard to cover all the local meetings and local news. I truly miss it and I know a lot of other people who do too.
I'm one of those who really misses the old, local, WASR. I listened to the station for several decades, and in the summer months I can remember the daily live weather and lake condition reports from the MS Mount Washington. I almost never listen to it now.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
tis

I am with ya' DRH. And do you remember for a few years John Bridges did a lake report, too? He went out for a 5am ride in his kayak and reports on conditions and temps. etc. It was so local, it was a great station! Alan always teased me about coming in early to do the morning sports report. So one morning he actually said on air that I was going to come in and do it but I didn't show up! He said he didn't know what happened. It was a lot of fun.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
TCC

Thank you Cindido and NH.Solar for your helpful replies.
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #11
fatlazyless

Facebook, Nov 9 at 8:29: "New Hampshire today with Jack Heath: Show is coming back on in The Lakes Region on another station within the next few days out of Wolfeboro that will cover the Lakes Region wasr"

https://www.facebook.com/JackHeathRadio/

Wikipedia says that Jack's old home in the morning, from maybe 6-9am, was on WEMJ 1490-am Laconia which has only 1000-watts of broadcast power during the daytime, and Jack's new home, WASR 1420-am Wolfeboro has 5000-watts of broadcast power during the daytime ....... so here's hoping Jack can be heard here....... all the many, many miles across the big lake ........ in Meredith.

For me ..... it's either 1300-am oldie moldies, NH-Vermont-Maine public radio or Jack ...... who is totally fair and balanced .....Jack has the gift of gab! ....... except Fox dropped their 'Fair and Balanced' line maybe a month ago. So, Fox should now be say'n: 'No longer fair and balanced!' .....ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Old 11-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
tis

That's good news. Maybe they are changing their format again then. We do need a local station.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
beaner

Thumbs up Wmwv 93.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
WMWV (93.5 fm) from Conway might come in in Wolfeboro, I have no problem receiving it in New Hampton. Announcers are all low key, they have frequent short local news blurbs and public announcements, promote local businesses, and play an eclectic music mix that you won't hear anywhere else. It's a music format playing mainly blues, rock and adult alternative.
Indeed, WMWV 93.5 FM does come into Wolfeboro. The station has managed to stay locally owned & community oriented for 50 years, broadcasting local events such as Kennett HS football games and the annual Rotary Club radio auction. They offer a superb, independent music format that includes specialty shows like The Blues Summit, Acoustic Cafe and Scarlet Begonias. I've been a big fan for 35 years. You can listen online at:
http://www.wmwv.com
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:24 AM   #14
welch-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
Indeed, WMWV 93.5 FM does come into Wolfeboro. The station has managed to stay locally owned & community oriented for 50 years, broadcasting local events such as Kennett HS football games and the annual Rotary Club radio auction. They offer a superb, independent music format that includes specialty shows like The Blues Summit, Acoustic Cafe and Scarlet Begonias. I've been a big fan for 35 years. You can listen online at:
http://www.wmwv.com
Yes, I too have been listening to WMWV for the past 3 years and really enjoy it.
Great music mix, and the AP news feed every 30 minutes. No obnoxious commercials.
Some local news too. I leave my Tivoli One tuned to this station all day.
A great background station.
(however, I am getting a little tired hearing the same Dari Queen commmercial with Layloni)

Mark
welch-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
Kamper

If you have a 'smart' phone, you can check places like Weather.com or NOAA.

Radio, TV and newspaper websites might be informative also.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #16
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by welch-time View Post
Yes, I too have been listening to WMWV for the past 3 years and really enjoy it.
Great music mix, and the AP news feed every 30 minutes. No obnoxious commercials.
Some local news too. I leave my Tivoli One tuned to this station all day.
A great background station.
(however, I am getting a little tired hearing the same Dari Queen commmercial with Layloni)

Mark
I agree, that DQ commercial is pretty annoying after the umteenth time! But if there were ever a contest for most obnoxious commercial ever, I'd nominate the TV & radio ads for a certain furniture retailer that shall remain unnamed. Every time I hear those two bleating idiots start, I quickly mute the sound, so that I'm not tempted to shove sharpened pencils into my ears. It's not just the shouting; the word "Saturday" has 3 syllables (it's not "Sad-day"). It will be a "sad-day" if I ever buy furniture from them.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #17
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
I agree, that DQ commercial is pretty annoying after the umteenth time! But if there were ever a contest for most obnoxious commercial ever, I'd nominate the TV & radio ads for a certain furniture retailer that shall remain unnamed. Every time I hear those two bleating idiots start, I quickly mute the sound, so that I'm not tempted to shove sharpened pencils into my ears. It's not just the shouting; the word "Saturday" has 3 syllables (it's not "Sad-day"). It will be a "sad-day" if I ever buy furniture from them.
You mean...”ALLENWAYSIDEFURNTURE-ALLENWAYSIDEFURNITURE-ALLENWAYSIDEFURNITURE” !!!!! ?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #18
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
You mean...”ALLENWAYSIDEFURNTURE-ALLENWAYSIDEFURNITURE-ALLENWAYSIDEFURNITURE” !!!!! ?
I SO agree! what an annoying commercial!
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #19
Joebon

The tv commercial is particularly bad. At least get some clothes that fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:08 PM   #20
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
🖐🖐DON'T MISS IT ! 🖐🖐

Awwwwg. I couldn't help myself.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #21
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebon View Post
The tv commercial is particularly bad. At least get some clothes that fit.

I noticed this too. It looked like they didn’t know they were shooting a commercial that morning when they got dressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #22
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebon View Post
At least get some clothes that fit.
What exactly are you trying to say.

Yup! Some the most annoying stupid a$$ commercials out there.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:25 AM   #23
tis

They win! We all remember those ads! And though we all hate them, when thinking of looking for furniture, we will think of them.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #24
Joebon

TopWater, i never saw that one before. That is hilarious.

Tis, I would never shop there solely because of the ads. They bought the furniture store on 28 in Wolfeboro and we pass it all the time.

Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #25
DRH

Default Jack Heath

I tuned in WASR a little after 7am this morning and Jack Heath's program was being broadcast. The station's website makes no mention of the programming change, however.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #26
fatlazyless

Today, Dec 11, 2017, at aprox 8:15am while driving the car, it could have been a content cut to eliminate a negative Trump news report from American ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley when the news feed on Jack Heath's morning 1420am-Wolfeboro radio show was quickly cut with info moving to a local charity event-public service announcement.

Nikki Haley was about to say "They should be heard, and they should be dealt with. And I think we heard from them prior to the election. And I think any woman who has felt violated or felt mistreated in any way, they have every right to speak up. And we should all be willing to listen to them."

Maybe it was just a coincidence, maybe not, maybe a WASR-Wolfeboro 1420am editorial policy to cut away from negative Trump "fake" news ........ dunno?

"I know that he was elected," Nikki Haley said. "But, you know, women should always feel comfortable coming forward. And we should all be willing to listen to them."