Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
nj2nh

Default Kimble's Castle

The aerial photo company posted pictures on Facebook today, suggesting the castle was nearing its demolition date. However, I cannot find any information on-line other than a clearly outdated website and old news stories from last summer. Is there any hope for the old place? It would be such a sad loss.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Do google for Kimball's castle / Laconia Daily Sun and you'll find several articles including this one

Quote:
Kimball Castle owner says he'll build a fence

Where's the story? 1 Points Mentioned

GILFORD — The owner of Kimball Castle has agreed to build a security fence around the condemned landmark, according to the town administrator.
Scott Dunn said he spoke with owner David Jodoin after last Wednesday's public forum and learned that his short-term plan is to move forward with the fence.
Last year, the town building inspector condemned the castle and ordered it to be either demolished or fenced in for public safety. Since then, the selectmen have agreed to three extensions of the "make safe" order. A final deadline has been set for April 30.
The town's role is that of trustee of the property which includes the building and about 280 acres of land on Lockes Mountain. When Charlotte Kimball died she left it all in a trust for the express purpose of creating and maintaining a wildlife refuge and stipulated that it could not be used for commercial purposes. In 1990, the town carved out 20 acres and got the state Attorney General and a Belknap County judge to agree that the best way to maintain Kimball's wishes for a wildlife sanctuary was to sell a 20-acre portion of the land that included the castle to a private consortium with the proceeds of the sale to go into the Kimball Forest Wildlife Fund.
Jodoin is the principal owner of Kimball Properties LLC. He was the last remaining partner of a consortium of people who purchased the property in the 1990s with the intent of using the castle as a restaurant and a bed-and-breakfast.
Last year, Jodoin approached the selectmen for permission to change the contract by removing the restaurant stipulation and sell the property as a single-family residence.
Both Dunn and Selectmen's Chair John O'Brien have said Jodoin has a buyer waiting in the wings, but declined to identify him or her.
O'Brien said yesterday that right now he won't support changing Kimball Castle LLC.'s contract with the town.
"I'd like to see the fence get built or have the castle torn down and give it some time to see what various people can come up in terms of buying the property," he said.
"I'm not going to change the contract just so he can sell the property," O'Brien said.
Many of those who spoke at last week's forum also said they didn't support selling the property to a single land owner for another home. Most supported fencing in the castle and allowing it to decay on its own.
Virtually all agreed the castle itself was beyond repair.
Dunn said yesterday that should selectmen ever agree to change the restrictive covenants included in the current contract, the proposed changes would have to be approved the N.H. Attorney General, the N.H. Division of Charitable Trusts and the Belknap County Superior Court.
He said that Jodoin has assured him that by April 30 he will have built a fence or make a demonstrable effort to so. Failing that, he will be fined daily.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Senter Cove Guy

Default Kimball's Castle

I scratched an itch today. I took a ride up to see Kimball's Castle. Because I hadn't done my homework before I went, I was under the assumption that the castle grounds were owned by the town of Gilford. WRONG! I was met immediately by 2 men who informed me that I was on private property. They told me that their family has owned the castle since the 1990's. The castle seemed to be surrounded by a fence. I asked if I could walk around the castle and take some pictures but was told that I could not. I snapped off the attached pics as I departed. Itch scratched!
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
LoveLakeLife

I wonder from where the two guys came? Is there another building there in which they live?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
Senter Cove Guy

Default House Overlooks The Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
I wonder from where the two guys came? Is there another building there in which they live?

Yes there is and there's a camera on the house pointing right at the castle.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

I drove up there last year and there were very obvious no trespassing / private property signs on the driveway to the castle. Were those gone??

Dan
Old 12-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #7
AltonGuy

Scanned the Gilford Real Estate page today and see the Kimball property on there for $650k plus an $85k easement. Seems its getting more reasonable but still a long ways from being an investment. Its really a shame to see this property unused. Thinking if this ever got down into the $400's it may just sell?! My wife and I, along with many others would love to revive this landmark. One day our lottery ticket will be a winner!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/kimball...-Hampshire_rb/

Sent from my LGLS755 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
AltonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I drove up there last year and there were very obvious no trespassing / private property signs on the driveway to the castle. Were those gone??

Dan
Went partway up the driveway on Saturday to show a friend the castle. The signs are still there.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
lagoon

It is really poor judgement to not allow a new private owner the opportunity to try and fix the castle and make it a beautiful residence. It is part of the unique history of the lake and the area, to watch if fall apart is not a plan. I wish that one of the local folks who have done well and showed a passion for preservation of the lake life would step in.
lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

I agree. I think we all have examples of Selectmen making decisions that decades later looked unwise. At least, I would say "Do what you say and post bond for default."
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon View Post
It is really poor judgement to not allow a new private owner the opportunity to try and fix the castle and make it a beautiful residence. It is part of the unique history of the lake and the area, to watch if fall apart is not a plan. I wish that one of the local folks who have done well and showed a passion for preservation of the lake life would step in.
Having personally looked at it a number of years ago to purchase, I can honestly say there is no "fixing it". It is too far gone. I saw it probably 8 year ago and it was falling down. I imagine it has only continued to decline in condition.

Sure, if you want to spend many millions to take it apart and rebuild block by block I guess its possible, but not really feasible. All it takes is a bottomless wallet.

It is a beautiful piece of land with very impressive views. My wife had visions of rebuilding it, but there was no way to make it work.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #12
fatlazyless

https://www.concordmonitor.com/Looki...astle-20115883 .... 7-photographs

Yesterday's Sept 14 newspaper reports that Kimball's Castle in Gilford has been sold.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-15-2018 at 08:21 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-16-2018), Top-Water (09-16-2018), welch100 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 06:42 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

I still can't find it from the water any more. When we were kids, we always looked for it. Is it still visible from Sleeper's or Treasure?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #14
Mr. V

Dunno if access is still being denied to photograph it, but if that is still an issue, use a drone to take pics.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #15
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I still can't find it from the water any more. When we were kids, we always looked for it. Is it still visible from Sleeper's or Treasure?
Don't think you are thinking the same place. It in Gilford by Glendale. Can't see it from this islands.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:49 AM   #16
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Don't think you are thinking the same place. It in Gilford by Glendale. Can't see it from this islands.
I am thinking of the same place and I do know it is in Gilford. Where in the lake can I see it from then? Maybe you can't anymore, maybe it is too grown up?

I also saw they are going to use it for weddings and events. Such great news!
Old 09-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #17
ApS

Question Whither Kimball's Castle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Do google for Kimball's castle / Laconia Daily Sun and you'll find several articles including this one
Quote:
GILFORD — The owner of Kimball Castle has agreed to build a security fence around the condemned landmark, according to the town administrator.
Scott Dunn said he spoke with owner David Jodoin after last Wednesday's public forum and learned that his short-term plan is to move forward with the fence.
Last year, the town building inspector condemned the castle and ordered it to be either demolished or fenced in for public safety. Since then, the selectmen have agreed to three extensions of the "make safe" order. A final deadline has been set for April 30.
The town's role is that of trustee of the property which includes the building and about 280 acres of land on Lockes Mountain.

When Charlotte Kimball died she left it all in a trust for the express purpose of creating and maintaining a wildlife refuge and stipulated that it could not be used for commercial purposes.
In 1990, the town carved out 20 acres and got the state Attorney General and a Belknap County judge to agree that the best way to maintain Kimball's wishes for a wildlife sanctuary was to sell a 20-acre portion of the land that included the castle to a private consortium with the proceeds of the sale to go into the Kimball Forest Wildlife Fund.
Jodoin is the principal owner of Kimball Properties LLC. He was the last remaining partner of a consortium of people who purchased the property in the 1990s with the intent of using the castle as a restaurant and a bed-and-breakfast.
Last year, Jodoin approached the selectmen for permission to change the contract by removing the restaurant stipulation and sell the property as a single-family residence.
Both Dunn and Selectmen's Chair John O'Brien have said Jodoin has a buyer waiting in the wings, but declined to identify him or her.
O'Brien said yesterday that right now he won't support changing Kimball Castle LLC.'s contract with the town.
"I'd like to see the fence get built or have the castle torn down and give it some time to see what various people can come up in terms of buying the property," he said.
"I'm not going to change the contract just so he can sell the property," O'Brien said.
Many of those who spoke at last week's forum also said they didn't support selling the property to a single land owner for another home. Most supported fencing in the castle and allowing it to decay on its own.
Virtually all agreed the castle itself was beyond repair.
Dunn said yesterday that should selectmen ever agree to change the restrictive covenants included in the current contract, the proposed changes would have to be approved the N.H. Attorney General, the N.H. Division of Charitable Trusts and the Belknap County Superior Court.
He said that Jodoin has assured him that by April 30 he will have built a fence or make a demonstrable effort to so. Failing that, he will be fined daily.
This bequest reminds me of a similar Trust regarding a Key Biscayne, Florida beachfront. The Trust's bequest left a huge portion of their oceanfront land for the County to use as a public park. Lawyers got in there, and now there's the "Lipton Open".

Quote:
"It had that postcard feeling I was hoping for, and then I saw those 5,000 parking spots by the beach, and I thought, 'This is it.' "

The rest, as they say, is history.

First, a $1 million, 10,000 square-foot clubhouse was built at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park in 1989 with plans for a permanent stadium to follow. But there were obstacles. After a favorable court ruling involving the use of the land in July, 1992 cleared the way to begin construction, the bulldozers started humming in hopes of getting the stadium ready for the 1993 tournament.

On Feb. 13, 1994, as the tournament was celebrating its 10th event, Miami-Dade County dedicated the $20 million permanent stadium to the citizens of Miami-Dade County.
With more than $13.0 million in prize money, equally distributed to the men and women..."
So, whither Kimball Castle?

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #18
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

New owners posted this to Facebook this morning.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423...2965273051364/

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:46 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS
Lawyers got in there, and now there's the "Lipton Open".
Are you talking about the www.miamiopen.com at Crandon Park, which is a huge tennis tournament that brings in the best tennis players from all over the world every year in late March, like Naomi Osaka and Novak Djokovic.

Would be nice to turn Kimball's Castle property into the ................................... (fill in the blank, what will happen there?).
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #20
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
New owners posted this to Facebook this morning.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423...2965273051364/

Isn't this old castle zoned residential ? Won't the zoning need to be changed to allow a Destination or Wedding Resort?

I'm all for the proposed project but am not sure how it can work if it isn't zoned properly.....
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #21
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Isn't this old castle zoned residential ? Won't the zoning need to be changed to allow a Destination or Wedding Resort ?

I'm all for the proposed project but am not sure how it can work if it isn't zoned properly.....
I would hope they have researched the zoning laws before purchasing, but you never know..............
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #22
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Isn't this old castle zoned residential ? Won't the zoning need to be changed to allow a Destination or Wedding Resort ?

The tax card lists zoning as RC; Resort Commercial
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #23
tis

This is from APS's post above:

When Charlotte Kimball died she left it all in a trust for the express purpose of creating and maintaining a wildlife refuge and stipulated that it could not be used for commercial purposes
Old 09-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #24
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
This is from APS's post above:

When Charlotte Kimball died she left it all in a trust for the express purpose of creating and maintaining a wildlife refuge and stipulated that it could not be used for commercial purposes
That's the Lockes Hill property.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote