Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Chris Exley

Default Unknown Lakes Region Treasures

Every year we look to do one thing we haven't done before in the lakes region.

What I am looking for is the Unknown, out of the way, unadvertised places that you all have found in the area. The stuff I can't get from the brochure rack that you absolutely love to go to.

What do you have for me?
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Couple of Questions

Kids? Outdoor? Animal/Nature Lovers? Scenic? Shopping? Dining Out?

We live here 24/7 and have dozens of places we like to go all around the lake and in the White Mountains.

Couple starters..

http://www.lrct.org/stonedam.html

http://www.loon.org/facilities.html

Haven't tried this.. (and I won't!) but my wife just went skydiving on our vacation to Key West.. and she tells me that this is next!

http://www.skiwildcat.com/ziprider.html
see this article in the Boston Globe
http://www.boston.com/travel/explore...ton_at_45_mph/
Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
KBoater

Default Zip Line

I have a friend who did Zip line riding in Costa Rica and could not stop. She crashed into the end platform and the operator. Broke the operators leg and had sever bruises from the harness herself. She had been doing this from several years so was not a novice but must have lost strength in her hands or had a bad harness setup. Does anyone know what type of braking system is a Wildcat.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
andyporter

Default This place is nice.

Sculptured Rock Falls
Height: 25'
Water Source: Cockermouth River
Formed during the ice age, over 10,000 years ago, the Sculptured Rock Falls is a series of small cascades set against a deep gorge.
Directions: Interstate 93 to Plymouth. Take Route 3A south into Hebron and drive five miles past the intersection of Route 25. Take a right on North Shore Road, drive 2.4 miles onto Groton Road. Drive about 1.7 miles on that road and fork left onto Sculptured Rocks Road. A parking area will be another mile or so up on the left.
This is very nice place for family or couples. Its a pretty large area so you can get away from other people if you like.
andyporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyporter View Post
Sculptured Rock Falls
Height: 25'
Water Source: Cockermouth River
Formed during the ice age, over 10,000 years ago, the Sculptured Rock Falls is a series of small cascades set against a deep gorge.
Directions: Interstate 93 to Plymouth. Take Route 3A south into Hebron and drive five miles past the intersection of Route 25. Take a right on North Shore Road, drive 2.4 miles onto Groton Road. Drive about 1.7 miles on that road and fork left onto Sculptured Rocks Road. A parking area will be another mile or so up on the left.
This is very nice place for family or couples. Its a pretty large area so you can get away from other people if you like.
Very cool place.The terrain looks like giant drillbits were used to create the round formations.They were actually formed by the smaller rocks and pebbles swirling around and scouring away the granite.This is a must see.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
quagmire

Default Madison Boulder

You would want to combine this with other activities since this place, although interesting, is not a place you'd want to spend more than an hour at. I suggest lunch at the Yankee Smokehouse in West Ossipee, jct of rt 25 and 16. Try the smokehouse ribs. Yum. They're better than the baby backs. It's not too far from the boulder.
http://www.newhampshire.com/state-pa...ural-area.aspx
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Dave M

If your into hiking you may want to climb Red Hill(Bean Rd) to the fire Tower. Also there's Abenaki Tower in Tuftonborough on Rt109 a few miles south of Melvin Village. Traveling from Melvin Village there's an "S" curve and its at the top of the hill on the left at end of "S" curve. There's also a fire tower in Gilford but don't which Mtn, maybe Belknap.
Another place is West Rattlesnake Mtn(Rt113) in Holderness. Takes about a half hour or so and its an easy climb. Bring a back pack for a picnic, awesome view. You may want to try the tour on Squam Lake out of Holderness, nice ride.

Tried the Zipline at Wildcat last year, awesome. Its only 2-3 years old.
Its about a 50sec ride up to 45mph. Pay one price, 2nd ride half the price.
Don't know exactly what they have for breaking but they have a spring at the end and according to the operator they test it every day. To get to the top of the Zipline you ride a chairlift and then walk along a path.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Chris Exley

Default Good suggestions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
If your into hiking you may want to climb Red Hill(Bean Rd) to the fire Tower. Also there's Abenaki Tower in Tuftonborough on Rt109 a few miles south of Melvin Village.
Went to Abenaki last week (Right around the corner from Mirror Lake) Incredible view.

Quote:
Its about a 50sec ride up to 45mph. Pay one price, 2nd ride half the price.
Don't know exactly what they have for breaking but they have a spring at the end and according to the operator they test it every day. To get to the top of the Zipline you ride a chairlift and then walk along a path.

Checked out the Zip line...unfortunately, I won't be allowed to do that as I am taller and heavier than the maximum's. Kids might have fun though.

Last edited by Chris Exley; 04-29-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Me, I can't afford the Wildcat ZipRider or the gasoline to get up north of Conway, so's I hitchhike to the trailhead parking lot on Route 16, and hike up over Wildcat Mountain. Spend the night at the open year-round, AMC Carter Notch Hut where the hut caretaker will let you stay overnight in exchange for polishing clean their pots and pans all coated with a whole winter of cook'n grit. This year, should be some snow left in Carter Notch till about June 15.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Dave M
Actually,the Ziprider at Wildcat is not yet a year old.It open last July 25th.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #11
chattypatty

Talking List of swimming holes in NH

Try some of the swimming holes found on this website. On the home page, just click on New Hampshire. There are some great photos of some of them to give you an idea if they are kid friendly or not.
http://www.swimmingholes.org/
chattypatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Dave M

Default Another Zipline

Chris, you may want to try the one at Lincoln NH. You go from platform to platform. Due to gravity the weight needs to be 70-240 lbs. Cost is $85 per person but if you have 10 or more it drops to $30. If you Google "Zipline Lincoln NH" and scroll down to Alpine Adventures Zip-Line Canopy Tour, you will have all the info you want. They are also adding more lines.

We're going to try it this year.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
KellyG

Quote:
Chris, you may want to try the one at Lincoln NH. You go from platform to platform. Due to gravity the weight needs to be 70-240 lbs. Cost is $85 per person but if you have 10 or more it drops to $30. If you Google "Zipline Lincoln NH" and scroll down to Alpine Adventures Zip-Line Canopy Tour, you will have all the info you want. They are also adding more lines.

We're going to try it this year.

Dave M
Dave, my finacee and I did the ziplines in Lincoln twice last year. They are a lot of fun! I was scared the first time but then it was fun at the end. The first zip line is the highest but they slowly hoist you down so that you get a feel for it. On the last zipline, you drop about 20 feet before the line grabs and then you go really fast. We also did the summer safari, which was a lot of fun.
KellyG is offline   Reply With Quote