Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
DanP

Default Water from the lake in the winter

I'm thinking of converting the cottage to a year round residence and I'm interested if anyone has experience with a self draining water system like this one... https://www.cottagewatersupply.com/w...water-systems/

I know I could always run a heat-line water pipe but think a drainback would be more efficient (if it works). I'm also getting tired of fighting and replacing the jet pump every few years and a submerged pump looks appealing. Digging a well is not an option as I would not be able to bury the lines given my topography and a railroad track.

I'd also be adding a multi-stage filtration and UV light as well (lots of good advice on the forums for this topic).

Thoughts? Recommended installers?

Thanks.
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DanP For This Useful Post:
lagoon (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
DickR

It looks like a useful design. My only thought would be that on the pump end of things there ought to be some sort of screen/filter to keep crud out of the water sent up. Even with that, conceivably regular (annual?) maintenance might involve cleaning the diverter valves of any sediment or other contaminant. I wonder if the owner of that railroad track would have any problem with the water line running beneath the rails. What's the story on that?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #3
mswlogo

If you can't go under the rail road tracks, how are you going over?

I've seen some year round lake water enter the lake a couple feet down and goes under the ice.

That system going through the ice and draining back still looks kind of vulnerable long term year round.

I'm getting a well drilled in January/February, I can't wait.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
It looks like a useful design. My only thought would be that on the pump end of things there ought to be some sort of screen/filter to keep crud out of the water sent up. Even with that, conceivably regular (annual?) maintenance might involve cleaning the diverter valves of any sediment or other contaminant. I wonder if the owner of that railroad track would have any problem with the water line running beneath the rails. What's the story on that?
If I am correct, the State of NH owns the Railroad bed. With that said, they would not allow anyone any access below the rail as it would set a precedent.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
bilproject

The wildly fluctuating lake level may effect where the heated section is. If you run an aquatherm and the line is in open water that would not be a problem. Allowing the line to freeze into the ice might be a problem in the spring when the ice shifts around. If you have a pump problem in the winter that submersible can't be accessed and you will be without water. You must be on the South side of Meredith bay. Why not drill a well lakeside?
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2020, 05:37 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
The wildly fluctuating lake level may effect where the heated section is. If you run an aquatherm and the line is in open water that would not be a problem. Allowing the line to freeze into the ice might be a problem in the spring when the ice shifts around. If you have a pump problem in the winter that submersible can't be accessed and you will be without water. You must be on the South side of Meredith bay. Why not drill a well lakeside?
I would not want the pump in the lake. One year our foot value tipped over in the winter and we had to have divers go right it. With the pump out there I think you would be asking for more trouble. We had a well but it made everything brown. Was it iron oxide? Anyway, in the emergency, we stuck a pipe in the water until we could get another well drilled and I fell in love with lake water. Everything was so clean and soft, I would never want anything else. This was in 1985 and I still love it. We do have all the filters and uv light.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 08:26 PM   #7
DanP

Drilling a well is an option but i don't think I could easily get the pipe run back to the house below the frost line. I think it would also be a challenge to get the drilling equipment over the railroad tracks (would require a crane). Lots of rocks, a big berm and not a lot of land between the house and the railroad track. The house is also doesn't have a basement. That's why the self-draining approach looks appealing. With the circulator running for the dock, ice wouldn't be an issue if I place it properly.

Thanks all for the replies.
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote