Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
SIKSUKR

Question need help using this forum

I am wondering if regular forum users can help me with how I use this forum.First of all,let me say I now enjoy the new format after using it for several months.(hint FLL)The way I use it is to click on"new posts" and only the threads with new posts appear on the next page.But whenever a thread reaches a certain length that page will not contain the new post.I find the new post by scrolling down the box at the top of that page that contains the posters name and date of posting.Not a big deal but another step.I would think by clicking on new posts and then that thread,that would bring me directly to the page with the new post.Am I doing this wrong?Is my setup wrong?Is there a way I can change the setup if that is the case?
Thanks for any help SS
Old 08-19-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
RI Swamp Yankee

Try clicking on the "first new post" button at the left of the name of the thread, it looks like this:

That will take first one you have not read.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
Mee-n-Mac

Question Not sure if this will help but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
The way I use it is to click on"new posts" and only the threads with new posts appear on the next page.But whenever a thread reaches a certain length that page will not contain the new post.I find the new post by scrolling down the box at the top of that page that contains the posters name and date of posting.Not a big deal but another step.
It sounds like you have your mode set to "hybrid" (as do I) so that you have a box listing all the posts/posters and then more boxes below, each subsequent box containing 1 post. Like you I do the new post thing but here is where I'm not sure I follow your problem. There are threads which get long enough that the not all the posts are displayed and in the top box you get a "more replies below current depth" indication. If that's highlighted then the new post appears somewhere in the "list below the current depth". To get to the new post(s) I end up clicking the highlighted "more replies below current depth" which gets me a new list containing what I want to see. If this is what you describing above then I'm not sure if there is a fix but I'll pass the following along.
In your user preferences (User CP, edit options) there's a display number of posts per page box. I presently have mine set to "forum default" (= ??) but there are other choices. Perhaps the longest, 40 posts per page, might make a difference ? I'll try it out myself and let you know what I find out.

Test results are that altering that number does effect the number of posts displayed below the "list box" (that top box) in hybrid mode. Whether bumping it up to 40/page will help in all cases is uncertain. Perhaps your setting is presently some low number like 5 or 10 per page. It doesn't get the "list box" to display any more of the posts/posters so you still have the "more replies below current depth" in the same place/level/cutoff as you did before. Try it and see if it helps.

Alternately you can do as suggested above and skip displaying all the posts in the thread and go to/display only those not yet read.

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 08-19-2004 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added test results
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote