Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
Tired of Waiting

Question Green Mt look-out

WEll, Let me be the first to post in this forum,

As a Child I used to climd Green Mount near the town of Freedom. There was a lookout station on the top. I am thinking of climbing it again this year. Does anyone know if the lookout tower is still there.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
dcr
Deceased Member

Default Green Mountain Fire Tower

As of last year, at least, the fire tower on Green Mountain was still there and was manned by a tower watchman as part of the network of fire towers across the state devoted to helping local fire companies get the quickest start possible in the suppression of brush and/or forest fires.
dcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
Tired of Waiting

Talking Thank you

dcr,

Thank you for the info. I guess I'll make plans to walk the ol mount again this year. It's been over thirty years from the last time so it should be interesting.

ToW
Old 04-07-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
BBS

This sounds like an interesting hike. Can you post some information about it? Is there a marked trail? Parking? How do you get to it? About how long a hike is it and what can you see?

See what you started?
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
dcr
Deceased Member

Default Trails on Green Mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS
This sounds like an interesting hike. Can you post some information about it? Is there a marked trail? Parking? How do you get to it? About how long a hike is it and what can you see?

See what you started?
There are 2 trails (marked) on Green Mt. Following is a description taken from the net: Green Mountain, elevation 1,907 feet, located in Effingham, New Hampshire. There is a jeep road (gated) to the garage site and a trail from there goes to the tower. For the foot-trail, take NH 25 0.2 miles west from its junction with 153N in Effingham Falls, then turn left at a church and go south 1.0 mile. Go left again on High Watch Road, and left again at a T-junction. Follow this road 1.2 miles to a jeep road (gated) just beyond the High Watch Learning Center. From here to the summit is 1.4 miles. There is also a trail from Lord's Hill (the Dearborn Trail, 2 miles long.)
If there is a fire tower on the mountain you can be sure the views are quite good, but you may have to climb the tower to see them at their best.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2004, 05:23 PM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Cool sounds like a good hike

thanks dcr, as always, for the information. Surely you must have a photo or a map that you could post and share with us! Have you been hiking much lately? How is the snow on the trails? .....and no blackflies yet. mcdude
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #7
dcr
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
thanks dcr, as always, for the information. Surely you must have a photo or a map that you could post and share with us! Have you been hiking much lately? How is the snow on the trails? .....and no blackflies yet. mcdude
Coincidentally, McDude, I did hike up the western slope of Gunstock this morning. On the higher elevations there is still some snow - but there isn't much and it's no great hindrance; the real problem is the ice found in any spot where the snow has been packed down and has crystalized into ice, or where the alternate melting and freezing which is occurring right now collects to any degree - that can be treacherous if you aren't alert.

The last time I climbed Green Mountain was several decades ago, and I wasn't taking pictures then. Speaking of maps, I have made a hiker's map of the trails of the Belknap Range (and maps of the Ossipee Range & Red Hill - available, eventually, from the LRCT) and if anyone who hikes the Belknaps would like one, the Gilford Library makes copies of that map and sells them, at cost, as a public service to its patrons (or anyone who asks, I think).

Last edited by dcr; 04-08-2004 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:28 AM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Lightbulb Maps

Thanks DCR...that's good to know. I'll have to stop in to the library when I go up over April Vacation to open up the camp.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:01 AM   #9
Tired of Waiting

BBS,

Sorry I didn't post a reply to your question but dcr did a great job for me.

I have not been on the Mt for so many years that I would have been of little help anyway. The last time I hiked the Mt I went through the woods on no trails. I had an adult guide that led us up. Seems that things have changed with the jeep trail and the other market trails. It'll still be fun to do though.

ToW