Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default Belknap Range

From a BRCC flyer:

Quote:
Belknap Range Conservation Coalition (BRCC)
Information Booth, 8 AM, Saturday, October 9, 2010
(Raindate: Sunday October 10, 2010)
Mount Major Parking Lot and Summit

Come learn about the Belknap Mountains and why it is important to protect them! From 8 AM until 1 PM the Belknap Range Conservation Coalition (BRCC) will host information booths in the Mount Major parking lot and at the summit with information about the Belknap Range, its trails and its conservation lands. A large map of the Belknap Range will be available for viewing and trail maps of the range and of Mount Major can be purchased for a small fee.
The BRCC is a non-profit organization made up of individuals from Alton, Gilmanton, Belmont, Barnstead and Gilford and representatives of various conservation groups, including Town Conservation Commissions, Belknap County Conservation District, Lakes Region Conservation Trust, UNH Cooperative Extension and the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests.
BRCC’s mission is to promote the conservation of open space, reasonable stewardship, and low-impact public enjoyment of the scenic, recreational, and historical resources of the Belknap Range. For additional information please visit BRCC at www.belknaprange.org or contact BRCC at info@belknaprange.org.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (10-01-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (10-01-2010)
Old 10-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Belmont Resident

Default Lost our support

My wife and I are avid outdoor sports lovers. However ours is a love of motorized sports like snowmobiling and ATV riding as well as Mtn biking. We used to support the local conservations up until the fiasco with the Castle in the clouds land. It seems that although conservation associations promote outdoor recreation it is done selectively. We would rather donate to those organizations that promote open land use for all recreation not just selectively or in other words those organizations who would fight the conservation associations for true open land use.
Yes although some land at Castle in the clouds has been opened I’m told that it has been minimal compared to what it was.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-18-2010), Sue Doe-Nym (10-21-2010), tis (10-18-2010)
Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Lrct

The Lakes Region Conservation Trust are different folks from the BCC. The LRCT are the ones to close down the Castle's land. They are also the ones that let Kimball castle deteriorate to the point it looks like it may have to be torn down. I remember they had the opportunity to sell the castle to a local businessman in the 70's. He wanted to restore it and turn it into his private residence. They told him something like it was willed 'to the birds'.

Now they are trying to find a buyer before they end up paying big bucks to tear it down once the town condemn the building. Go figure.

My uncle wanted to conserve 350 acres of prime land. He refuse LRCT offer as he wanted to keep the land open for recreational use. LRCT wanted to close the trails.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Fishy Cover

Default Kimball's Castle

Broadhopper-- Kimball's Castle was never ownedby the Lakes Region Conservation Trust. The Town of Gilford owned it for 20+ years and let it deteriorate until it was eventually sold to private owners. The present owner has spent a lot of money to stabilize it, preserve what is there and begin restoration.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
My wife and I are avid outdoor sports lovers. However ours is a love of motorized sports like snowmobiling and ATV riding as well as Mtn biking. We used to support the local conservations up until the fiasco with the Castle in the clouds land. It seems that although conservation associations promote outdoor recreation it is done selectively. We would rather donate to those organizations that promote open land use for all recreation not just selectively or in other words those organizations who would fight the conservation associations for true open land use.
Yes although some land at Castle in the clouds has been opened I’m told that it has been minimal compared to what it was.
BRCC focus area map at http://www.belknaprange.org/ shows the snowmobile corridors in the focus area which, hopefully, will stay open. The only realistic way to keep this land open, as opposed to developed, is to obtain conservation easements from willing land owners. Then it is a case by case negotiation with each landowner to provide as much public access as possible for each parcel.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 10-18-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default I understand that but

There lies the problem. What they say they intend to do and what they actually do are not always one in the same.
From what I've heard the LRCT was suppose to leave the land open but changed all that when the land was acquired.
While I'm glad to see land in Conservation verses being developed it is still a shame to see land closed down once it is put that way.
For instance I also like to hike and Mtn bike. The AMC put some of their resources towards something that has absolutely no effect on hiking what so ever when they supported the speed limit. This is another example of why I’m very reserved about donating any money to any organization.
So I would rather place my donations directly into the fund that benefits what I like such as snowmobiling. Instead of donating money I donate days of my time to two of the local clubs building bridges, clearing dead tree’s putting up signs etc.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
fatlazyless

For about $398, your local Wal-Mart or google 'walmart ezip electric bicycle' either carries or can order a man's or woman's E-Zip electric bicycle which is a very well made mountain bike with wide tires, and an upright, comfy seating position. In my opinion, it is an excellent value at 398.

In about 2002, the federal government passed a law known as the "Electric Bicycle Law - HR727," that treats electric bikes just like non-motorized pedal bikes if it goes less than 20-mph, and has less than a 750 watt (1hp) motor. So, these bikes can be used legally on a road like the seven mile, back woods, forested and remote, unpaved Livermore Rd in Waterville Valley and Livermore even though the road has a large Forest Service sign posted that says "No motorized vehicles allowed!"

By the way, come winter time, the first 2.3 miles of this road is the no-charge, freebie cross country ski trail that get groomed and double tracked by the WV Piston Bully snow groomer. It is a multi purpose road open to hikers, snow-shoers, xc skiers, and mountain bikers, and people all seem to respect the double track, xc ski tracks by walking along the outside of the road.

And, not too far away, about 3-miles up on the other side of the Tripoli, the snowmobiles are welcome to cruise the Tripoli Rd, which is a steep and somewhat remote forest road, starting close to Rt 93-Exit 31, and travelling due east for about seven miles to the steel gate at the height of land near the Mt Osceola hiking trail parking lot, plus it has a number of side trails that probably are not groomed.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-20-2010 at 09:06 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default We did a t of biking up that way

When my boys were younger we rode from Kangamagus (not sure of spelling) over to Waterville & back all on different trails. A good portion was hiking up with bikes but what a ride down. I believe it was about a 22 miles trek.
Lots of good biking all over the White mountains.
FYI I prefer the full suspension, disc brake manual powered version average cost is between $1500-$2500.00 depending on upgrades.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
fatlazyless

The Walmart 398 bike is just probably good for smooth dirt roads, and paved roads what w/ its' design and weight of the re-chargable battery over the rear wheel. It's nuth'n like a mtn bike that you describe.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
So I would rather place my donations directly into the fund that benefits what I like such as snowmobiling. Instead of donating money I donate days of my time to two of the local clubs building bridges, clearing dead tree’s putting up signs etc.
Thanks Belmont- we appreciate the help as much or more than the monetary donations! Ummm... if you are every in Moultonborough on a Sat AM, come on by!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote