Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
LostInNH

Default Winni boating Columbus day weekend

Hey everyone,
Hope you all had a great summer. We are looking for one last trip up with the boat before putting it in the barn. Looking to put in at Center Harbor. Does anyone know about what the lake level will be like? Is the weather below freezing typically during that weekend? I have an I/O 18.5 glastron.
And if so, any recommendations on stuff still open in the area?
Thanks for any info
LostInNH
LostInNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Bear Island South

Last year the temps were in the 80's, I wouldn't worry about freezing the water will still be in the 60's.
Check out the Lakeside Deli and Grill in Meredith, it is a short walk from the town docks, Burgers are great and they always have good soup.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
Bear247 (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Anyone that knows for sure what the lake level will that weekend should also be able to tell you next week's winning lottery number.

Here is a link to a page with a graph of historical lake level data.
http://www.bizer.com/bztnews.htm#lakelevel
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
GTO

Default lake level....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInNH View Post
Hey everyone,
Hope you all had a great summer. We are looking for one last trip up with the boat before putting it in the barn. Looking to put in at Center Harbor. Does anyone know about what the lake level will be like? Is the weather below freezing typically during that weekend? I have an I/O 18.5 glastron.
Thanks for any info
LostInNH
Might have to back pretty far down the ramp to launch. check conditions first. The chop out there this time of year can be crazy (take last Saturday). 18.5 size boat can take a beating out there
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
jrc

I usually pull my baot that weekend or the next. Once I had a little morning glaze ice on the swim platform. I wouldn't worry about freezing.

Typically the lake is about 6 inches lower than now. Since the Mount Washington routinely stays in until Halloween, I think the level in Center Harbor will be enough for your boat.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
codeman671

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInNH View Post
Hey everyone,
Thanks for any info
LostInNH
Columbus day weekend? Still prime boating weather. You don't have to worry about freezes that early. There is a month of decent boating still to go after that...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default December

My marina usually take my boat out around December. Several years ago I had the boat out Thanksgiving when we had an unusual 80 degrees weather. I don't think they actually draw down the lake until January.

Years ago, the marine maintenance crew use to take the bouys out of the water for repairs during the winter. Now, they leave them in and replace them when they are pretty much gone.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Baja Guy

Plenty of water to launch & retreive your Glastron. And there's plenty of water in the lake for the kind of draft clearance you have. Just be on the correct sides of the markers.

I navigate by the phrase "stay South or West of Red". Black is opposite. But the chart clears up any conflicts or where the transition occurs.
Fall is the best time, there is smooth water, fewer boaters, and the water is warmer than in the spring. All you want is low winds to keep down the chop. If it gets too windy you can run nearer the shore it's coming from to hide from the rough stuff.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

Years ago, the marine maintenance crew use to take the bouys out of the water for repairs during the winter. Now, they leave them in and replace them when they are pretty much gone.
Broadhopper - If I recall correctly, the Floating Lights dissapear around that timeframe .....
BroadHopper (10-04-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #10
@thelake

Default Still good (chillier) boating in October

You should have some good fall weather, bundle up! We try and squeeze a ride or two in during October, hoping for 60's.

It seems I'm always trying to get the boat winterized before Halloween. By then, we usually had a hard freeze or two, and it's time :-(
@thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
LostInNH

Thanks everyone. Sorry for my delay in answering, unexpected offshore trip. Looks like the weather will be ok for this weekend. We'll be bundled up and looking for the start of the leaves turning.
Hope to see at least one or two of you out there...lets just keep the chop down.. hahaha
Lost
Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
Jidge

Default The Fantasia will be out there

I'll be out there on the other end of the lake by Alton Bay.Looking forward to seeing the foliage. Its lookin mighty colorful drivin up Rt 11. We'll be doing the slow cruise with the hot chocolate. Gotta keep the wind to a minimum
Jidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
LostInNH

Absolutely agree!! low wind. Looks like it will be cloudy/rainy....
Where is there a good hot chocolate spot on the lake?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
PaugusBayFireFighter

Just went to pick up a float that washed up on my beach. I ended up sitting on the dock for an hour! The water is like glass and because the lake is so low I was able to see, and retrieve, a couple items that dropped around the docks during the summer.
Looking south across Paugus Bay, at Big and Little Islands, makes for quite a nice view. It's so quiet, no boats at all. Listening to the ducks, squirrels and other wildlife is so calming. I can't help but thinking how lucky I am to be able to enjoy days like this on the lake. Quite a change from the craziness of the summer.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (10-04-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Sammy

Default 18.5 Glastron

I have an 18.5 Glastron and you won't have any problems, just watch out for the NW wind in the Broads if it starts blowing.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
LostInNH

Hey guys,
Awesome weekend!! It was a bad forecast of rain for the weekend, but I towed the boat up anyway. Am I glad I did!! Mornings were great on saturday and sunday, then football games during the rain. Calm enough to open it up a little bit. Monday we were able to make it from center harbor to Wolfeboro for lunch. Good following seas on the way over, and on the way back just hid behind cow island through long island and into salmon meadow.
That's it for me for the boating season. Maybe one or two days in beautiful quinsigamond. Otherwise I'll see you guys once I find a local snow mobile rental place... hahaha
Thanks again for all the advice this season. Made bringing the boat up here such an enjoyable experience... and I made sure to wave at everybody

enjoy the fall
Lost...