Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
meredith weekender

Default China Bistro

We have been driving by China Bistro across from ther Margate for the last four years andf have never stopped because the roadside of the building did not look to appealing. This weekend we pulled into the parking lot and almost left because ther were only two other cars. We went in anyway, the inside of the bldg is gorgeous and the food was great. We will definitely return.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
donnamatrix

Default China Bistro always looks empty/forlorn

Even following their extensive renovations, which appear to still be ongoing at the front, the place is always a ghost town... Has anyone else had a good experience here? We usually go to Peking Garden when we are in the area.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow More Reviews Please!

We had a couple of bad experiences in the past had given up on them. With a few more good reviews, I would consider trying them again.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
michael c

I drive past it ,day after day in spite of the fact that I love good chinese food.
I have been told that it is quite good but there is something that has always bothered me: No matter when you go by,the place still looks dirty on the outside. They seem to have invested over a quarter of a million in renovations but still it is not finished outside. No lawn ,small pieces of trash or odd bits of lumber here and there. Just a basic lack of maintenance. That usually translates to the bathrooms and from there, to the kitchens.
Kinda like an observation a friend once made: Take a look in the bathrooms of chinese restaurants. They seem to be, more often than not, dirty. Now I have never been in this place so they may have clean bathrooms. But the outside always has clutter and that tells me a lot about the way a person lives.
Priorities out of place?? I don't know. When it looks clean outside I will try it

If I am wrong or out of place, I hope someone will correct me. I don't like to speak badly of a place.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
AC2717

Default Don't get me started on this place

Opps to late. I will never give them my business, in fact one business I hope is struggling with the economy and I do not wish that on anybody.
I have my cottage around this place easily 500 feet, trees, bushes, Solid Wood fence, bubbling stream. They are in Gilford, My place is in Laconia. Laconia can not do anything about it. Most Friday night and Saturday night From 9pm to 1am all you here and FEEL is boom boom boom boom. Even with the new renovations they made (we hoped this would stop it as less glass for the sound to come through), it made no difference almost like the upgraded the sound system. I have fully insulated walls and windows as well as double paned glass, all windows shut, our beds still vibrate on some nights. Even with the TV put up we can still hear/feel the beats. I have talked to the managers, called Gilford Police, Spoke to the town of Gilford, even have asked others in other places around them, specifically the Brick Condo Building right beside them, about this and they all agree with me about it and have the same problems and experiences in dealing with those that are supposed to take care of this. Police have come out have experienced what I have told them, they say they go over to talk to them, but never have they been cited for the noise violations according to Gilford's Ordinances laws, the Level does not go down. I have been told by the police to just keep calling and eventually something might happen. When speaking to the town they say there is nothing they can do, now then why is there a Noise ordinance with a Fine, a rather good one as well or if there is enough complaints action should be taken? Also how did the town allow such a Bright LED sign than can be see through trees and even lights up across the street on the grassy area of the Old Montego Motel? It is blinding to drivers if anyone has driven by it late at night. Not to mention all the drunk adults leaving the place in between 1 to 2am spinning tires, motorcycle burnouts, screaming, blaring radios that the police seem to not be around the area at this time, even though they have been asked to. Most of these nights I have to stay up until 2 just to get sleep and hope they do not wake my 3 year old up which has happened. I like a good party like the next person but this is above and beyond almost every weekend during the summer months. Also I am described as a young Buck as I am called by others, parties are great when under control and considerate of others

I wish and hope anyone that can help me with this problem to either please post here or PM me, I need to find out what we can do. If someone violates a noise ordinance and the police agree and me having to waste their time to come out to this and nothing has been done, and this is the way the town wants me ? Oh by the way I am not in the town of Gilford again and not a NH resident but I do pay NH taxes.
by the way this has been going on for over 2 years now and there are a lot of people fed up with it as the town has done nothing. Who can we contact? Who can put something into action? Any Gilford town people or other town workers in other cities know how I an combat this? Please PM me
Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Problem is.....the heavy bass....the one that rattles your windows, does not register high on a sound level meter, thus it does not violate the noise ordinance. If you walk away from a rock band at 110 dbs or more, the last thing you will hear is the bass, which is the most annoying....and only shows about 75 or 80 dbs. You can stand outside of your home and the sound of passing traffic will register higher than the bass. That's why the pd's hands are tied. As annoying as it is, it's just not a viloation.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Mr. V

About your only viable option is to talk to an attorney about the possibility of filing a civil action in court, claiming private nuisance.

I cannot comment on NH law, but generally speaking, a successful suit for private nuisance will enable the aggrieved party to recover monetary damages and secure an injunction prohibiting the nuisance from continuing.

Whether the activity would be deemed a private nuisance: that is the question.

Also, your ability and willingness to throw barrels full of money (i.e., legal fees) at the problem is also the question.

But you asked ...
Mr. V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
Pineedles

Even though I read the whole thread this morning and just now went back to see SAMIAM's latest post I must be thinking of fishing too much because I'm reading his post..

---Problem is.....the heavy bass....the one that rattles your windows....

And I'm thinking what the heck is a fat largemouth bass doing on somebody's window and why is he rattling the window. And how did he get up there in the first place???

Don't mind me, I'm just goin a bit crazy.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
AC2717

Default While I do nto completely disagree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Problem is.....the heavy bass....the one that rattles your windows,does not register high on a sound level meter,thus it does not violate the noise ordinance.If you walk away from a rock band at 110 dbs or more, the last thing you will hear is the bass,which is the most annoying....and only shows about 75 or 80 dbs.You can stand outside of your home and the sound of passing traffic will register higher than the bass.That's why the pd's hands are tied.As annoying as it is,it's just not a viloation.
I do not think you are totally wrong and can appreciate the argument, but the ordinance (Please see below), mentions nothing of Decibel levels specifically see the whole ordinance. They are in violation of every sections of this ordinance, with witnesses to prove that they are. The only part I cannot get around is the last sentence of paragraph 1 of section #2, that it is for the residents of the Town of Gilford, and also Gilford mirrored Laconia's they state the same thing, I am in Laconia they are in Gilford???

ORDINANCE

GILFORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE

AN ORDINANCE RELATING TO NOISE CONTROL

SECTION 1. It is found and declared that:

(a) The making, creation, maintenance or continuation of such loud, unnecessary, unreasonable or unusual noises which are prolonged, unusual, unreasonable or unnecessary in their time, place, use and effect are a detriment to the public comfort, repose, health, peace, safety, convenience, welfare and prosperity of the residents of the Town of Gilford; and

(b) The necessity and the public interest for the provisions and prohibitions hereinafter contained and enacted is a matter of legislative determination and public policy, and it is further declared that the provisions and prohibitions hereinafter contained and enacted are in pursuance of and for the purpose of securing and promoting the public comfort, repose, health, peace, safety, convenience, welfare and prosperity of the Town of Gilford and its inhabitants.

SECTION 2. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to make, continue or cause to be made or continued, or to allow to be continued any loud, unnecessary, unreasonable or unusual noise or any noise which either annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace, safety, convenience, welfare and prosperity of others within the limits of the Town of Gilford.

(a) Loud, unnecessary, unreasonable and unusual noises shall include, but not be limited to, any noise occasioned by any one or more of the following actions of the operator of a motor vehicle operated within the limits of the Town of Gilford: misuse of power exceeding tire traction limits in acceleration sometimes known as “laying down rubber” or “peeling rubber”; misuse of braking power exceeding tire traction limits in deceleration where there is no emergency; rapid acceleration by means of quick up shifting of transmission gears with either a clutch and manual transmission or automatic transmission; rapid deceleration by means of quick down shifting of transmission gears with either a clutch or manual transmission or an automatic transmission; racing of engines by manipulation of the accelerator, gas pedal, carburetor or gear selection whether the vehicle is either in motion or standing still; the blowing of any horn except as a warning signal or the use of any other noise making device whether the vehicle is either in motion or standing still; and the operation of a mobile refrigeration unit or other types of compressors between the hours of 11:00p.m. and 7:00 a.m. while the vehicle is not in motion except for emergency use or while actually loading or unloading.

(b) Any person who is the owner, or a tenant, or a resident, or otherwise in control of any house, apartment, condominium unit, structure or other property located within the Town of Gilford, shall be responsible and liable for any loud, unnecessary, unreasonable or unusual noises created by one or more persons gathered on said property which disturbs the public comfort, repose, health, peace, safety, convenience, welfare or prosperity of another. Further, any person who is the owner, tenant, resident or otherwise in control of any house, apartment, condominium unit, structure or other property located within the Town of Gilford is responsible and liable for any loud, unnecessary, unreasonable or unusual noises if he permits or allows any gathering of one or more persons to continue to make loud, unnecessary, unreasonable or unusual noises upon such property after having been advised of the disturbing effects such noise is having on another, and the said noise then continues to disturb the public comfort, repose, health, peace, safety, convenience, welfare and prosperity of another within the Town of Gilford.

SECTION 3. Without limitation of the prohibition in Section 2, it shall be unlawful for any person within any residential, commercial, retail or industrial zone of the town to use or operate any radio, musical instrument, phonograph, television set, loudspeaker, or any other sound amplifying equipment or device for the purpose of producing or reproducing sound in such a manner as to disturb the comfort, repose, health, peace, safety, convenience, welfare and prosperity of any neighboring resident or any reasonable person of normal sensitiveness residing in the area. Additionally any person who uses or operates any such sound amplifying machine or device for the purpose of producing or reproducing sound which is either located outside of an enclosed structure so that the sound is directed outside of said structure shall constitute a prima facie violation of the section if any noise or sound can be heard by any neighboring residents or any other person while upon any adjoining private property. Nothing in this section shall prevent the use of loudspeakers or other sound producing or reproducing machine or device to be used provided that the Town of Gilford has issued a license to the said function or activity involving public noises that it deems reasonable, and its determination shall be final.

SECTION 4. Any person who violates any of the provisions of the ordinance shall be guilty of a violation and a penalty shall be imposed not to exceed the sum of one thousand dollars ($1,000.00). Such person shall be deemed to be guilty of a separate offense for each and every day during any portion of which any violation of this ordinance is committed, continued or permitted by such person and shall be punishable therefor as provided herein.

SECTION 5. This ordinance adopted by the Board of Selectmen in accordance with the authority of the Town Meeting vote dated March 15, 1995, is intended to replace and supersede the ordinance adopted by the Town Meeting vote of March 13, 1985.

Sources:
Town Meeting Approval – March 15, 1995
RSA 31:39, I (n)

Reference Material:
City of Laconia, NH: Ordinance Chapter 55.
Unnecessary Noises Ordinance 108.85.11 of 07/29/85.
Town of Gilford, NH: Ordinance Relating To Unnecessary Noises Adopted March 13, 1985.
City of Claremont, NH: City Ordinance Chapter 11. Nuisances; Article II Noise; Section 11-26 through 11-34.
City of Keene, NH: Noise Ordinance; 1601.0
State V. Yee, 129 N.H. 155 (1987)
RSA 651:2 Sentences and Limitations.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Spelling police are wrong on this one....."bass" is the corect speling luk it up.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
sa meredith

Default correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Spelling police are wrong on this one....."bass" is the corect speling luk it up.
There is no grey area here.
Both the fish and and music is indeed "bass". It is a fact.
A "base" is the bottom of a thing, an animate or inanimate object. ie. The base of the table. The base (or basis) of his line of thinking.
That North Adams State education really comes in handy sometimes. Learned whole bunches of stuff...mostly drinking.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
ironhorsetim

Default town line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I am in Laconia they are in Gilford??
You are in Laconia and the other side of the street is Gilford, odd town lines that change at the bottom of White Oaks Rd. The line bears to the right.

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
hazelnut

Here it is in full living color!

It's that dang knob on the left, if they could just turn it down a touch AC2717 could get some sleep!!!!!
Attached Images

hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
AC2717

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorsetim View Post
You are in Laconia and the other side of the street is Gilford, odd town lines that change at the bottom of White Oaks Rd. The line bears to the right.
Our entrance into our area is Laconia, in fact the town lines go right down the middle of the street until you get to the split of Weirs Blvd where is actually starts at the blinking yellow light and then up White Oaks hill

So if you get pulled over heading down to the Shaws coming down from the Weirs area so you would be on the Margate side of the road, from Gilford Police, you are actually in Laconia, and conversely the same thing on the other side! Good to know for anyone that gets stopped in that area, they might not be in the correct town and therefore not really be able to pull you over and you can fight it, obviously unless it is criminal
Old 04-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
jmen24

Quote:
So if you get pulled over heading down to the Shaws coming down from the Weirs area so you would be on the Margate side of the road, from Gilford Police, you are actually in Laconia, and conversely the same thing on the other side! Good to know for anyone that gets stopped in that area, they might not be in the correct town and therefore not really be able to pull you over and you can fight it, obviously unless it is criminal
This may not work as you plan. Having a few family members in law enforcement, you can be pulled over by a cop that is from another town and they will call in the proper town police and they will issue the go ahead for the officer that witnessed the violation to write the ticket. I have asked this question before and that was the answer I received as two of the three have been in the situation. Maybe Skip would clarify, would hate for someone to get in trouble for thinking they were "above the law."

I have never been inside this place but a friend of mine had an apartment in the building next door and we would sit on the balcony and drink while watching the drunks stumble out the door. The cops would sit in the parking lot of the apartments and swing in as soon as they got in their cars, or they would bag them walking down the street. Made for some very entertaining nights.

The thing about the bass being below the decibel register is funny, because I cannot tell you the number of times I was pulled over for having loud bass in my car. I know, I know, it was a way to get a look at what was going on in the vehicle, but you would think that after running the plates and seeing a couple dozen, "clear, nothing in violation" that they would give it up, just funny how it does not transfer to allowing the police to walk in and check ID's. Oh to think of what I could have done with all that money spent in those stupid stereos.....
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #16
Nadia

Thumbs down Not so hot...

I ate at China Bistro or previously known as Oriental Gardens about three times a couple years ago. One time I got some food to-go after a night of drinking, one time was eat-in ordering off the menu, and another time we went to their all you can eat buffet. I was not pleased with the food at any encounter, although I don't really remember how good the to-go food was considering my condition at the time The buffet from what I can remember was terrible. Some items were soggy, dried out, utensils were dirty. I've worked with food for years so I could tell by the taste of some items the fry oil was rancid, long over-due for a cleaning and change. The ice cream scoop was placed in a container of water when patrons were done using it supposedly to keep it sanitary. That water was something I will never forget. It was really, really dirty. Not just melted ice cream floating in it either. The food was lukewarm at best. Our eat in experience was really no different. The silverware was dirty and there was an odd smell coming from the kitchen. It lingered in the entire dining room. The bathrooms were also very dirty, which my mother always told me was a good indicator of how clean the restaurant was in general. If so, yikes

The night club is a pretty decent hang out spot. When I was younger, I was a regular fixture there. They have made some very nice improvements to the building. Hopefully they make some improvements to their food and dining area. Honestly I cannot say I have heard anything good about their food. Very nice club though. I think it's great they gave the outside a face lift. Good drink prices, and you don't have a police officer standing over your shoulder while your trying to enjoy a cocktail like some other local bars/clubs. There are too many other good chinese spots in the Lakes Region in my opinion. If they do improve, I would be glad to give them another try. I think it's great they don't use MSG.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #17
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Sounds Like They Have Changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
I ate at China Bistro or previously known as Oriental Gardens about three times a couple years ago. The bathrooms were also very dirty, which my mother always told me was a good indicator of how clean the restaurant was in general. If so, yikes
Judging by the pictures on their website, they've cleaned up their act.
Quote from their website:

"On January 5th, 2009, China Bistro was awarded at the "Top100 Chinese Restaurants USA Awards Ceremony" in Las Vegas, NV. This annual event is held by Chinese Restaurant News and with the support of the National Restaurant Association(NRA).

"I have never seen a restaurant so beautiful and clean like this in the Lakes Region." - Customer from Laconia"
Upon searching the China Bistro, a recent review for them came up in the China Garden thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
China Bistro has a new chef and is by far the best Chinese food in the area. Since the renovations, and the new chef, we have eaten there numerous times and the food has consistently been top notch. I am extremely fussy and cannot eat most Chinese food due to poor quality. Try China Bistro, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. They are the new game in town.
(I hope it's okay that I quoted from another thread!)
Not to be confused with China Bistro, China Garden is located on Route 3 in Belmont.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (04-07-2009)
Old 04-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Newbiesaukee

I have never been to China Bistro and it may well be an excellent restaurant. However, I am normally skeptical of "best" lists and on checking the website of the "100 best Chinese restaurants.." I noted this is an industry sponsored award and there are numerous categories of "100 best Chinese, etc. etc." in so many categories (best decor., etc.) that I suspect there is little distinction in the award. China Bistro is not listed in the best overall category and looking at that list I doubt that one of the 100 best Chinese restaurants is in Athens, OH. as is indicated on the list. My kids live in Athens and are very involved with the local food scene and the restaurant listed just ain't one of the100 best in the US. The purpose of this rant is NOT to impugn the China Bistro, just to point out that one needs to be skeptical of "best lists." By the way, my kids just voted me one of the 100 best dads in the US.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #19
michael c

Normally, the awards go to the people who advertise in that publication.
I can not saythat is the case here for sure but i know the food industry.
Normally what happens is that the people who hand out these awards are the very same people who rake in advertising dollars from the very same restaurants or do most of their buying from Those same publications[which are created by the company who sells them their food..
Any award that a restaurant earns from someone who supplies them with ANY food is not just questionable ,,,but actually condoning such action ,And so, they are actually either bribing or influencing the publication or are in "cahoots " with the very people who are awarding these "awards"

RUBBISH .... AND THAT IS WHAT I SEE OUT IN FRONT OF THIS PLACE !!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
Argie's Wife

Do they have scorpion bowls there?

I think we need a winni-dot-com outing there to test the new place and make sure it's up to our usual standards....
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #21
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Bowling Competition ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Do they have scorpion bowls there?

I think we need a winni-dot-com outing there to test the new place and make sure it's up to our usual standards....
And to be fair I think we should compile a list of their competitors in and around the lakes region and do a comparitive study of their scorpian bowls .... errr .... food and service. It might take a few weeks of dedicated drink ... errr .... taste testing but in the end I think we'll have performed a valuable service to all !
Old 04-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
soxie

Honestly---The food is just okay. The interior renovation is absolutly gorgeous.... (including the restrooms) and the scorpian bowls the best I've ever had.
soxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #23
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
And to be fair I think we should compile a list of their competitors in and around the lakes region and do a comparitive study of their scorpian bowls ....
I LOVE going bowling!!!!
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #24
Rattlesnake Gal

Talking Bowling

Mee-n-Mac and Rose you crack me up!
I think Argie's Wife is right about a gathering at the China Bistro. At lease we know from soxie that we won't be disappointed with bowling.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #25
AC2717

Default just be sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Mee-n-Mac and Rose you crack me up!
I think Argie's Wife is right about a gathering at the China Bistro. At lease we know from soxie that we won't be disappointed with bowling.
just be sure to please not support the club at night please!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #26
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow It's too loud

Quote:
just be sure to please not support the club at night please!
Better yet ... we go bowling some night. And one by one we go to the manager and say "It's too loud in here, could you please turn down the music." Then leave in a huff if it doesn't get turned down. Mebbe you'll get 1 quiet(er) night out of it.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #27
wifi

Default Count me in..

I loved Phu Gee's bowls in Meredith... had maybe one or two in my lifetime...

Time for some comparison... Guess now I'll have to find a DD. (designated driver)
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote