Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #101
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
A buddy of mine had professional rent scammers in his building. They wouldn't move out and wouldn't pay rent during Covid even though they were both working. He actually paid them a months rent to move out.
A friend bought a nice single family home but there were renters (well, tenants who didn't pay) still living there. He stopped by the house and told them he had bought the house and they needed to leave. They laughed at him so the next day he hired a lawyer.

The lawyer told him to offer them $5,000 to leave. He said "You didn't understand me. I now own the house" The lawyer said yes, I understand you but if you want to move into the house in the near future go pay the "tenant" (It usually takes about 4 months to get rid of deadbeat tenants and you never collect the back rent.)

He did, and they left.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-14-2021), Biggd (03-13-2021), mswlogo (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #102
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
A friend bought a nice single family home but there were renters (well, tenants who didn't pay) still living there. He stopped by the house and told them he had bought the house and they needed to leave. They laughed at him so the next day he hired a lawyer.

The lawyer told him to offer them $5,000 to leave. He said "You didn't understand me. I now own the house" The lawyer said yes, I understand you but if you want to move into the house in the near future go pay the "tenant" (It usually takes about 4 months to get rid of deadbeat tenants and you never collect the back rent.)

He did, and they left.
Pretty sad isn't it how twisted this country has become.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:59 AM   #103
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Yes it is considering all we hear on the news these days is due to job losses, the pandemic and so on that renters should be able to live rent free. There is little if any concern about the owner, whether that be a business, an investment trust or an individual. Why are they any different than the renters? Why should they get screwed? The general consensus seems to be that they can "afford" it, when in reality many owners, or investors are no different than the renters, just average every day folks trying to carve out a living.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #104
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Yes it is considering all we hear on the news these days is due to job losses, the pandemic and so on that renters should be able to live rent free. There is little if any concern about the owner, whether that be a business, an investment trust or an individual. Why are they any different than the renters? Why should they get screwed? The general consensus seems to be that they can "afford" it, when in reality many owners, or investors are no different than the renters, just average every day folks trying to carve out a living.
Exactly! Most people that rent apartments do it for a reason not for fun.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #105
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:

He did, and they left.
That's a good lawyer! Most would take as much money from you first and after they sucked you dry they would tell you this.
I bought a Mobil franchise back in the 90's and when I brought the 2" thick lease to my lawyer he laughed.
He said, "you're going to pay me a lot of money to read this and then I'm going to tell you not to sign it". "These leases are written by teams of lawyers so the company never loses".
It's all about cost analysis verses risk. So I bit the bullet and signed it.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2021, 08:13 PM   #106
Dad207

Location: Summer home at Echo Shores, Minge Cove; home in Baltimore MD

Quote:

He did, and they left.
I am a business and real estate lawyer and I have given similar advice before. Evictions are messy and expensive (though less than $5,000), a related issue is that a bad tenant will trash your place before they leave. You may have a security deposit, but that won't cover the damage and going after a dead-beat tenant for cash (if they had money, they'd pay the rent) is useless. Better to pay them to go away and not trash the place. Most folks pay if they can, a few, are just plain deadbeats. Pay the tenant to go away, often cheaper than the lawyer.
Dad207 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dad207 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-16-2021), TheTimeTraveler (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #107
garysanfran

Although fiction, the movie "Pacific Heights" is a real example of dealing with a bad tenant.

When screening an applicant, you are trying to determine two goals. Establishing their ability to pay the rent, and, much more difficult, trying to spot behavioral problems.

Financial capability is easily achieved by checking employment, pay stubs, bank records, credit reports, etc. It's usually a well papered trail you follow to a conclusion.

Behavior is much more difficult. You have to interpolate data, i.e. - read between the lines. A current landlord could lie to get rid of a problem. During an interview, almost anyone can behave well for a few minutes.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote