Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2022, 10:02 AM   #1
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Electric Boating

Pure Watercraft is selling electric outboards currently up to 50 HP. They are also combining their electric motors with pontoon boats, RIB's, and bass boats.

They are Bluetooth enabled for control. I'm looking forward to seeing the first person docking their boat using their cellphone.

A 50 HP is $16,500 so you would need to save a lot of gas before the numbers worked. That is about twice what a 50 HP gas outboard would cost.

The good news may be no winterizing and no worries about the cold. You could put on your snorkel parka and mittens and extend your boating season!

GM has invested $150 million in the company so it might have a strong future.

Also, GM formed a strategic partnership with MP Materials Corp to develop a supply chain for rare earth magnets for use in the company’s EVs. GM is making big commitments to an electric future.

https://www.purewatercraft.com/
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
fatlazyless

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/b...423050930.html ...... being in Granby, Mass is likely to be all fresh water use and not salt water ..... $2400 is not an el cheapo and usually you get what you pay for ..... outboards last for many years and years when maintained good with fresh water use. $2400 is $6000-less than a new $8250 50-hp outboard and can work just as well or maybe even better, all tings considuhed.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
8gv

Yes but consider the statement of virtue you could make at the sandbar.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #4
LikeLakes

Very interesting, I think we'll begin to see products like this in use. I don't think a pontoon is a realistic platform though. To me this is more suited for RIB's, small tenders, coaching boats as mentioned on the web site, maybe 14-16' fun boats like small Whalers.

In their FAQ's they say, when talking about range:

"In general, 1 battery pack equals ~ 2 gallons of gas range (or more at low speed)." They also say "Pontoon boating: an 18′ pontoon boat could cruise at 4 mph for 4 hours, with a few bursts at 18 MPH, with one battery pack."

So even if you had 3 battery packs, it's only like having 6 gallons of gas. And on a pontoon not everyone wants to putt at 4 mph, avoiding higher speeds because of range. So not ready for that application yet IMO.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #5
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
They are Bluetooth enabled for control. I'm looking forward to seeing the first person docking their boat using their cellphone...
The advent of all-electric/all electronic boating? Picture it, at the Meredith docks on a July Saturday:
"Alexa, dock the boat."
Followed by two boats/two copies of "Alexa with Attitude" arguing via their speakers as to which should have yielded to the other. Ah, the entertainment value. [OK, it's a slow morning]
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (01-09-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2022, 12:50 PM   #6
8gv

To make it more realistic, captain Alexa will need a significant beer gut...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
Very interesting, I think we'll begin to see products like this in use. I don't think a pontoon is a realistic platform though. To me this is more suited for RIB's, small tenders, coaching boats as mentioned on the web site, maybe 14-16' fun boats like small Whalers.

In their FAQ's they say, when talking about range:

"In general, 1 battery pack equals ~ 2 gallons of gas range (or more at low speed)." They also say "Pontoon boating: an 18′ pontoon boat could cruise at 4 mph for 4 hours, with a few bursts at 18 MPH, with one battery pack."

So even if you had 3 battery packs, it's only like having 6 gallons of gas. And on a pontoon not everyone wants to putt at 4 mph, avoiding higher speeds because of range. So not ready for that application yet IMO.
4 MPH isn't even no wake speed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:53 PM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

Where do these get charged? I wonder what the cost would be to do so, given NHEC ‘s horrendous electric rates.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:44 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Mixing fresh water and electricity is a recipe for swimmer electrocution ..... http://www.americanboating.org/safet...k_drowning.asp .... caused by voltage leaks from power lines installed on a dock. .... .... yikes!

There will be a 50-question quiz on this link with a score of 90% needed to register your NH-boat that has a rechargeable electric motor.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Mixing fresh water and electricity is a recipe for swimmer electrocution ..... http://www.americanboating.org/safet...k_drowning.asp .... caused by voltage leaks from power lines installed on a dock. .... .... yikes!

There will be a 50-question quiz on this link with a score of 90% needed to register your NH-boat that has a rechargeable electric motor.
Really? Every marina on the lake has had dockside power for many years. You can start with the 284 slips at Mountain View and keep going.

Numerous slips all around the lake have power and also many have boat lifts that are powered.

How many electrocutions have you heard of?
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:00 PM   #11
John Mercier

They will likely be charged before hitting the water, as no one is going to want to use up commercial dock time waiting for the batteries to charge.

They will also be more used in lakes/ponds that have banned gasoline motors.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:00 PM   #12
FlyingScot

The Pure Watercraft pontoons at $45-65K, to be shipped in 2022(?) look competitive, with pluses and minuses compared to gas. I could see buying one for the silence and convenience. Definitely need your own dock and 220V electricity.

On the cost--at least for my car, electric power ay NHEC rates is way cheaper than gas, and maintenance and winterization costs on an electric motor are zero, so the operating expense is a big plus for electric.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (01-09-2022)