Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
LakeDad

Default Over assessment in Alton

Though the tax rate in Alton has dropped, the assessments have skyrocketed, and some are notably over assessed. They simply over corrected.
My home has been over assessed by at least $100K.

Has anyone been able to get an over assessment lowered without use of a lawyer?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Appointment with the assessor

It's been probably 5 or 6 years ago, i got a notice that my land had been re-assessed (1.4 acres) and its value increased $17,000 . Because most of my land is not buildable except where I had the house and garage. I took pictures of the property and made an appointment with the assessor.

He looked at what I had for "evidence" and said he would swing by to take a look. He actually came by that afternoon, looked at the property, and agreed with me, saying I would get a new letter in a few days.

The amount of increase lowered from the $17,500 figure to a $3,400 increase.

I would look at home sales in your area, and look at homes in your area via the town database website. You will have to present a case with evidence. While it will be work, it can certainly be cheaper than hiring a lawyer.

Not meant as a consolation attempt, but recent threads here have spoken of other communities around the lake in the same situation.

Good luck

Dave
Old 12-18-2021, 07:48 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Years ago I appealed the assesment in Gilford and the land value was lowered.

It takes some time and effort to research other assessments. The key is to bring in examples of properties similar to yours that are assessed for less and explain why your property is not worth what they think it is.

In my case, although I had the same amount of land as other properties, my land has 50 feet of street frontage and 100 feet on the water. The triangular shape, combined with Gilford's 25 foot sideline setback, made much of my land unbuildable. The same square foot lot in a rectangular shape would have much more buildable area.

However, be aware that when they come out they will probably look for anything that is not on the tax card for your property. If you have things like a bigger dock, a tool shed, new windows, vinyl siding, or other improvements that they don't have listed, your assessment could actually go up.

In most towns they keep up with improvements when you get a building permit. The building department notifies the assessors that the improvements have been made. When significant construction is done, the assessors are notified when an occupancy permit is issued.

I have heard, but not confirmed, that sometimes people will make improvements without a permit. I think those same people may be members of the top secret "Move a rock" club discussed here in the past.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #4
FlyingScot

It would not hurt to appeal, but waterfront values have skyrocketed. Unless your land value has jumped relative to your neighbors', you may not be as over-assessed as you think.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Years ago I appealed the assesment in Gilford and the land value was lowered.

It takes some time and effort to research other assessments. The key is to bring in examples of properties similar to yours that are assessed for less and explain why your property is not worth what they think it is.

In my case, although I had the same amount of land as other properties, my land has 50 feet of street frontage and 100 feet on the water. The triangular shape, combined with Gilford's 25 foot sideline setback, made much of my land unbuildable. The same square foot lot in a rectangular shape would have much more buildable area.

However, be aware that when they come out they will probably look for anything that is not on the tax card for your property. If you have things like a bigger dock, a tool shed, new windows, vinyl siding, or other improvements that they don't have listed, your assessment could actually go up.

In most towns they keep up with improvements when you get a building permit. The building department notifies the assessors that the improvements have been made. When significant construction is done, the assessors are notified when an occupancy permit is issued.

I have heard, but not confirmed, that sometimes people will make improvements without a permit. I think those same people may be members of the top secret "Move a rock" club discussed here in the past.
Reminds me, I need to ask Santa for more sand to fill the swimming area off the dock

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Generally, if you call the assessor's office, they will tell you which recent sales they looked at to match your building and land value comparison. You can look at those properties and see what's similar and what's different on the town database online.

Some years ago, I had a huge over-assessment on my land. Somehow, they listed me at twice the frontage than was actually the case. The answer was that I have a dug in slip. Frontage was measured with aerial photography, and nobody checked the previous assessment to see the increase. A few minutes on the phone, no research, no attorney, no increase. All fixed. The perimeter of the slip was not "shore-frontage". When you're doing hundreds or even thousands of updates, there are bound to be some discrepancies. That's why the ability to question is made easy.

BTW, if you say you taxed me for this, but not my neighbor, they may re-examine your neighbor. Better to make comparisons to places that aren't your friends, and as the assessors do, rely on actual sales.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:09 PM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

That is all true but you don't need to only compare the value to recent sales to appeal the assessment.

The best method is to find properties similar to yours with a lower assessment and then point out the differences. When I appealed, I found three other lots on my street that were assessed lower than mine and then pointed out why my land was worth less than those.

Going before the assessors with your appeal is very informal process and just becomes a discussion of facts.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-18-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 05:52 AM   #8
jeffk

The first thing to do is check the information about your property for accuracy. Are the room sizes right? Is the description of each room correct? In my case, I had 2 porches, one unfinished and not heated and the other finished and not heated. The assessment listed both as finished, heated porches, i.e. year round living space. These kind of "fixes" are a mostly a slam dunk.

As others have suggested, the next thing to do is find out the properties used for comparison and look for differences, especially where your property is NOT as valuable. This is less certain to succeed. Your opinion may differ from the assessor's standards.

The final option is to pay a private assessor for an assessment. I was fortunate to have done an assessment for other purposes and it was lower than the figure the town was using.

And, as others have said, the reality is that the value of lakefront property has soared. With that comes a bigger share of the property tax compared to those properties that have not. However, in some areas, non lakefront property has also gone up so that could mitigate the impact. That's just how property taxes work and it is amplified in NH because most of the personal tax paid is link to property.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:24 AM   #9
phoenix

i got my land value corrected a couple years back by bringing in two land listings near me that were much lower. I was reluctant to do this as the first time i did they made me feel i was getting a break
Old 12-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #10
swnoel

Do your homework to prove your claim and the majority of the time you have a high probability of winning. You don't need an attorney.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:56 AM   #11
camp guy

Default Over assessment in Alton

TiltonBB hit the nail on the head when he (she) posted that some people don't admit their improvements. If a person does a little improvement here, and a little improvement there, pretty soon these "little" improvements add up to a significant improvement overall and that is when people get caught. Their assessment is significantly increased over their last assessment, but, because they have not kept the Town abreast of their improvements, there is a gap between the Town (current) assessment and reality. This puts the homeowner in a difficult spot - either fight the new assessment and take your chances with the Town, or accept the new assessment and do things right going forward.

A Town tries to maintain a reasonably level tax rate, and total town-wide property value is a piece of the tax rate equation, so it is helpful if residents keep the Town up to speed when improvements are made.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #12
John Mercier

The improvements listed most often do not require a permit, nor do they actually affect the assessment to any real degree.

You can replace windows, siding, and roofing without a permit in most municipalities.

An new/extended dock or shed would change the assessment, but the shed may or may not need a permit depending on size... and the dock done without the permits is going to become a state issue that will make taxes the least of one's concerns.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote