Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ...roofing is hard work!

Have been reroofing a large shed, about 12 x 15', over the past couple days. Removing the old asphalt shingles, some covered with green moss, removing the old black tar paper, and all the old roof nails. Then, starting at the bottom and moving up: a drip edge, a frost dam barrier, new tar paper, and new shingles with the standard 5" shingle exposure.

Lowe's sell the standard Owens Corning 12" x 36" shingles, about 33/case for about $25.75, a 5lb box of 1 1/4" roof nails for about 8.50.

Roofing is hard work; the roof is hot, sunny & buggy, and definately up on top of the building. The shingle-paks are heavy.

Just so's I can pat myself on my achy back for starting this project, what's the local going rate/square foot for a roofing job and how much to do my 12 x 15' shed if I were not too cheap to actually have hired a real roofer? Not like I will be hiring one, but just curious?

Well.....excuse me.....I need a beer to help dull the pain.......arrrrg.....this what happens investing in financials arrrrgg

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-21-2009 at 07:49 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
ApS

Cool D.I.Y. sometimes involves some heavy lifting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"...what's the local going rate/square foot for a roofing job and how much to do my 12 x 15' shed if I were not too cheap to actually have hired a real roofer...?"
The only reason I can't answer your question is that I've always done my own re-roofing!

However, both of us could have learned from my Winnipesaukee neighbor: Thirty years ago, when he thought it was time to re-roof, he just put new roofing materials over the old roof! (No removal of the old materials).

I thought that was highly unusual, but a NH roofer told me it's not at all unusual for old roofs to be left intact for re-roofing.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
wifi

What will happen to your tax rate with this new roof?!?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Heck with his tax rate wifi. When he gets blamed for that boathouse collapse in Alton Bay, he is going to have bigger problems than his tax rate! He'll learn that those push ups are just causing him too much grief!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Sunrise Point

FLL, I hope that you put the ice shield up before you installed the drip edge. It's probably not critical on an unheated building, but the ice shield does no good unless it comes in direct contact with the wood sheathing.

In any case, be careful up there.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
trfour

Default In The Preamp Of Progress....

FLL is alive and well, lets give credit were credit is due. In this obviously depressed economy, and his steadfastness to overcome, talk about a sweetie!.... FLL, "Your The Boss"!
"PUMP HIM UP"!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:48 AM   #7
hoopdawg

Sunrise Point

FLL,I hope that you put the ice shield up before you installed the drip edge.It's probably not critical on an unheated building, but the ice shield does no good unless it comes in direct contact with the wood sheathing.

drip edge goes up first than the ice sheild due to if water does get underneath the shingles the water will run down and over the drip edge !! if ice shield is put on first than the drip edge and water is under shingle it would run down ice shield and under the drip edge it into soffit or the over hang of the eaves

and yes it is common for roofs to be shingled over a few layers but watch the local building code as to how many layers you can have up there !
and if doing a reshingel, ( shingling over exsiting shingels ) put on ice shield is not recomemned as it will stick to the shingles but when it warms up it will create ripples in shingels plus if not laid on bare wood it voids the warrenty of the ice shield

well enough of this

back up on the roof for me !!!!
hoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #8
Blue Thunder

Default FLL Roofing LLC (???)

To answer your question, FLL, a rough "going rate" for a strip and re-roof including the ice shield, drip edge and felt paper would be $350-$375 per square. A square is a 10'X10' area. You probably didn't need the ice shield since I'm going to assume your shed is not heated but it's good insurance.

BT
Old 05-21-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

FLL:
Two years ago we paid $6,250 for our house roof which is about 25 square or about $250 a square. This included removal of old, install of ice barrier and ridge vents and 30Y architectural shingles. High bid was $10,500.

You don't need the ice shield if the structure is unheated in the winter. There will be no melting under the snow that would run down and freeze near the lower edge so no ice dam.

About 5 years ago my wife and I did the roof on our island camp, 12 square of fun. We had to transport the new bundles over and bring the old back for disposal.

Too bad you were not a roofer back then; we would have offered you a job!
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
fatlazyless

My shed is insulated and vented and heated w/ a Rinnai and air conditioned too, but no plumbing to freeze up, plus it has a super lake-Gunstock mountain-Timber Island view....very nice shed..... it's a workshop.

Doing this roof job gives me a big appreciation for what roofing is all about. Surprisingly....make that very surprisingly, the 3/4" plywood roof was still solid despite the cruddy condition of the old shingles. The winter of Jan 2008 with all the ice was hard on this roof which has a low angle, not too steep pitch on one side.

Suggestion - How to be fully employed.....become a roofer....or is that a roofa...... .....yikes....hard work !
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

Default Word of caution

The FLL Roofing Company should be carefull if you are installing shingles the next 2 days.It's very easy to damage the shingles walking on them when the temps get into the 90's.Walk softly
Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
jmen24

Default Very True

FLL, take a tip from most of the full time roofing contractors that we have worked with, Get up on the roof at 6:00am and work until 9:30-10:00, take the middle of the day off and get back at it around 4:30 or so. Eat your dinner first so you can work till dark. And as mentioned do your push ups softly at the beginning of the evening shift.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopdawg View Post
Sunrise Point

FLL,I hope that you put the ice shield up before you installed the drip edge.It's probably not critical on an unheated building, but the ice shield does no good unless it comes in direct contact with the wood sheathing.

drip edge goes up first than the ice sheild due to if water does get underneath the shingles the water will run down and over the drip edge !! if ice shield is put on first than the drip edge and water is under shingle it would run down ice shield and under the drip edge it into soffit or the over hang of the eaves

and yes it is common for roofs to be shingled over a few layers but watch the local building code as to how many layers you can have up there !
and if doing a reshingel, ( shingling over exsiting shingels ) put on ice shield is not recomemned as it will stick to the shingles but when it warms up it will create ripples in shingels plus if not laid on bare wood it voids the warrenty of the ice shield

well enough of this

back up on the roof for me !!!!
Huh??? Explain that again?? Am I missing something or did you state that both the drip edge and ice shield go on first??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
The only reason I can't answer your question is that I've always done my own re-roofing!

However, both of us could have learned from my Winnipesaukee neighbor: Thirty years ago, when he thought it was time to re-roof, he just put new roofing materials over the old roof! (No removal of the old materials).

I thought that was highly unusual, but a NH roofer told me it's not at all unusual for old roofs to be left intact for re-roofing.
It's extremely common to reshingle a roof and leave the old roof in place. I wouldn't say its done as often as removing the old roofing materials but yes, it's quite common. Some people are of the opinion it acts as another layer of insulation.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
Audiofn

The weight of the shingles is why I went with metal. Then the roofer that I hired took my substantial deposit and disapeared. So I was stuck doing the roof myself with the help of a bunch of friends and family. It came out great but took for ever and I had to get over my fear of heights! A roofer came over and said that I could not have had a harder roof to do my first go around!
Attached Images

Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:54 PM   #16
hoopdawg

put drip edge on first than put on ice shield and put ice shield at least 1'' over the drip edge
hoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
Sunrise Point

The info from the Grace co. web site states:

How do I flash drip edges?
The metal drip edge or wood starter shingle should be placed over the membrane as shown in standard Grace detail drawings. The Grace self-adhered underlayments should not be installed over cedar shingles. Refer to eave application details at www.graceconstruction.com for more information.

FLL - Whatever you do, I hope that your new shed roof keeps you dry for many years to come.

I was told of the ice shield first, drip edge second, theory years ago by some one who I consider to be a first-rate craftsman.....but then, there is more than one way to "skin a cat" so I am sure that there is more than one way to apply ice and water shield. However, manufacturers will only guarantee a product if it is appied according to their specifications.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 PM   #18
Audiofn

When in doubt do both
Old 06-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #19
jmen24

The full installation specs of Grace is that you install the membrane over the plywood and wrap down over and to the bottom of your "rough fascia" then install the dripedge and your finish fascia and shadow board to cover the Grace.

If the water runs under the drip edge and in behind the shadow board and your fascia there is a simple fix that is severely overlooked by contractors and that is to BACK PRIME all exterior trim to prevent moisture from being absorbed by the wood.

Or you can do what we do and apply according the manufacturer specs, install drip edge, put a six in strip of Grace Tape over first 1" of drip edge and onto the first layer of Grace and apply non-finger jointed pre-primed exterior trim.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #20
dpg

I have a much better fix...Call a roofer...
Old 06-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

Wouldn't a giant blue tarp trump all these methods?I'm starting to sound like FLL.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #22
Audiofn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Wouldn't a giant blue tarp trump all these methods?I'm starting to sound like FLL.
No that is for siding!!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #23
Nadia

Wink It might be hot....

It might be hot up there on the roof, but with the typical black shingles you seem to get a great tan! That's funny this thread came up when it did, I have recently gone back to roofing and finish carpentry and was up on a roof for the first time in eight years three weeks ago. As with any trade you get used to the heat, the physical demands, the heights and the awkward ladders and staging. Try carrying 120 lb rolls of tar paper up a 30 foot fiberglass ladder, then you really respect the what the contractors do! Good luck with your roof FLL, you can learn a lot doing it yourself!
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:01 AM   #24
ApS

Default "Solar Gain"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Wouldn't a giant blue tarp trump all these methods? I'm starting to sound like FLL.
Yes you are.

I once put a giant aluminized tarp over my roof after some major windstorm damage. It stayed up there for months.

While the result could have been anticipated, I'm here to tell you that tarp was highly impressive in reducing the sun's radiant heating effect inside the house.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #25
Audiofn

That is why the metal roof I showed above is Energy Star Rated. I thought it was a bunch of BS because I got it in a dark color. I am amazed at the difference between the roof I got and one that is not energy star rated. I even used a piece to protect the gel coat on my boat when I had to heat up a piece of alluminum with a torch! I had the torche hitting the metal for almost 3 min and when I pulled back the metal expecting to see all chared up gell was super happy to find nothing wrong!