Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Steveo

Default Calling on NHBoat.com

Hey NHBoat.com,

When are you setting up the daily shots. I know it seems a bit early but this might be a record year so you might want to record the history. Plus I love your sequential shots and comparisons to previous years. I think the comparison on this year might be at least a month swing with some previous years.

BTW: Thanks for doing this each year
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking NHboat.com

I just sent them an e-mail and copied in your post. Ice-Out 2009 is still up. Hopefully they will set up Ice-Out 2010 soon! They do a wonderful job on presentation.

Many thanks to NHboat.com!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Default NHboat.com

It's here! NHboat.com's Ice-out 2010
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Pepper (03-09-2010), Steveo (03-09-2010), Webbsatwinni (03-09-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Blue Thunder

Thanks to Barry Uicker and Silver Sands Marina for this view. I look forward to it every year.

BT
Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
VtSteve

Quite different over here, where the lake hardly ever freezes, except for various bays. I remember well the days of watching and waiting for the Winni ice to go out. This was the scene this past Saturday, a gorgeous day. That's about a 12- mile cross there.

Last edited by VtSteve; 08-22-2011 at 03:12 PM.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 03:12 AM   #6
Blue Thunder

This my view from my place on Sebago Lake this past Saturday. Sebago never froze this year either.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Talking Fantastic Picture!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Quite different over here, where the lake hardly ever freezes, except for various bays. I remember well the days of watching and waiting for the Winni ice to go out. This was the scene this past Saturday, a gorgeous day. That's about a 12- mile cross there.
Your picture is fantastic VTSteve! I have yet to make it up to Lake Champlain during boating season for a recreational visit. Perhaps you met my brother Otto at a poker run or event? He is out of Mallets Bay at Champlain Marina and is very active with his group of friends from the marina, going to many of the local marina's weekend long festivities. For those who do not know, on Champlain you can moor anywhere overnight, which they do often too in various coves. I'm fairly certain there is not 150' rule either. Mallots Bay looks pretty locked in still.

Would the ice freeze completely on Lake Champlain if they weren't using ice-breakers to keep the ferries going?

VTSteve and Blue Thunder - Just wondering, not judging or complaining, if you are so close to Lake Champlain and Sebago Lake, why come all the way to Lake Winnipesaukee?

Our lake is better, isn't it?

Blue Thunder, is your boat blue or is this a reference to the helicopter or fuel for RC vehicles? The funny movie is too new to be referencing that. Nice picture!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Your picture is fantastic VTSteve! I have yet to make it up to Lake Champlain during boating season for a recreational visit. Perhaps you met my brother Otto at a poker run or event? He is out of Mallets Bay at Champlain Marina and is very active with his group of friends from the marina, going to many of the local marina's weekend long festivities. For those who do not know, on Champlain you can moor anywhere overnight, which they do often too in various coves. I'm fairly certain there is not 150' rule either. Mallots Bay looks pretty locked in still.

Would the ice freeze completely on Lake Champlain if they weren't using ice-breakers to keep the ferries going?

VTSteve and Blue Thunder - Just wondering, not judging or complaining, if you are so close to Lake Champlain and Sebago Lake, why come all the way to Lake Winnipesaukee?

Our lake is better, isn't it?

Blue Thunder, is your boat blue or is this a reference to the helicopter or fuel for RC vehicles? The funny movie is too new to be referencing that. Nice picture!
My Boat is Blue. It has "silent thunder" exhaust, a reference to "whisper mode" in the movie Blue Thunder starring Roy Scheider and I am in the same line of work as the characters depicted in the film.

Although I spend most of my time on Sebago, I have, in the past, spent time on "your" lake.

Sebago is slightly smaller but a large lake none the less.

I am not the only member here who has or had an affection for Sebago at one time or another.

BT
Old 03-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Having lived for 8 years on the Champlain Islands I can tell you that the Ferries have no effect on the fact that the main lake no longer freezes over. First people have to understand that the ferry out of Burlington to Port Kent doesn't run durring the off season, it is only available in the summer. The same is true of the southern ferry. The only Ferry that runs all year around is the Ferry run from South Hero Vt to Plattsburgh NY. Now there is no Ice Breaker involved here. There are 3 Ferries involved here, 2 of which are always running. The thrid is used during times of peak traffic. They Ferries have strenghtend hulls, to help deal with the ice, but in and of themselves are not ice breakers. It is the constant motion of the Ferries that keeps the passage open durring the coldest of months. The Ferries depart every 20 mins and keep a channel open as wide as they can. There is a open water channel in the ice, the ice on either side become quite thick once you get away from the channel.

In short the lake freezes solid where the Ferries run year around most years.

As for the main part of the lake, it is wide open, very wide and wind helps keep it open..... Burlington Harbor freezes quite nicely hence that Ferry shuts down for the winter.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Wink I'm an Equal Opportunity Enjoyer of Lakes & Boats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
My Boat is Blue. It has "silent thunder" exhaust, a reference to "whisper mode" in the movie Blue Thunder starring Roy Scheider and I am in the same line of work as the characters depicted in the film.

Although I spend most of my time on Sebago, I have, in the past, spent time on "your" lake.

Sebago is slightly smaller but a large lake none the less.

I am not the only member here who has or had an affection for Sebago at one time or another.

BT
After I walked away from the computer, I realized that I made the mistake of mixing up the movies Tropic Thunder and Blue Thunder. Your boat and lake sounds great!
I'm jealous you don't have ice!

I think that one Lake Winnipesaukee gets in your blood, it's there for life. I was just teasing about our lake being better than yours.
I know I would love Sebago and Champlain just as much as the lakes that I love in NH.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
Steveo

Default What happened to Citgo

I just noticed the difference between your pictures. What happened to the Citgo sign at the end of your dock
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote